Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I'm reading Ready Player One because a friend badgered me into buying it, and I guess if Spielberg is making a movie it must be good? No not even a little bit, but listening to the episode about it afterwards will be a nice consolation prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I love an episode that starts off with them 100% endorsing pirating the book

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
The "wrestling is still cool" song was perfect

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
"you and your whole crew gotta get circumcised" was when I knew sunday school dropouts was a good podcast

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
if I donate to the patreon, how do I listen to the bonus episodes? I just want them to magically show up in podcast addict

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

Okay, Doc has enabled the Patreon RSS thing. Hopefully that will improve someone's listening experience.

Awesome, this is exactly what I wanted. Hearing J and Collision doing Squarespace ads wouldn't be the end of the world, I just don't want it to happen.

The most recent friends post about why Collision is afraid of rats is great.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Of course Tori Amos was a woke toddler

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

fatherboxx posted:

The Dramatic Readings in this one are something else

Does Amanda Palmer have a book?

I went to wikipedia to find out, and the answer is yes, but most importantly:

quote:

Amanda MacKinnon Palmer[6] (born April 30, 1976), sometimes known as Amanda loving Palmer,[1][2][3][4]

:eyepop: Looks like someone's infringing on the Corey loving Taylor brand

e: the book sounds as wonderfully tone deaf as you'd imagine:

quote:

NPR was slightly more critical as they felt that while the book was "well-intentioned", that "in thinking about the art of asking, Palmer misses its most basic tenet: In our society, certain kinds of people are allowed to ask for things, and certain kinds of people are not. She writes as though the biggest obstacle to getting the help you need is a reluctance to ask — not, say, ingrained social structures having to do with race and class".[7]

padijun fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 1, 2016

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15MqcNwkpq4

I LOVE BEING A BULLY

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

:same: Isn't the pronunciation of "Peart" pretty much the "Actually, whales are mammals" of Rush fans

It's pretty much a thing even the band is in on at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8fsJxRVXs

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I already know the last line for my submission next year:

I strapped on my goggles and haptic gloves. Time to log into OASIS.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Edit: Oh boy, not even ten minutes in and we have a very creative pronunciation of "Poirot". How? How?

I will fight people who A) pronouce Hercule Poirot's name wrong, or B) say he's from France

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
fictional detectives are very important to me

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I didn't really understand why they chose to do The Girl on the Train. Seemed to me like it's a pretty unremarkable thriller, there's nothing really ridiculous (or even noteworthy) about it.

I bet they watched the 80 minute movie on amazon, looked up the popular highlights to criticize and called it a day!

this has been another edition of padijun's podcast conspiracy theory corner

but for serious, the movie's on amazon prime streaming, if for some reason anyone wants to watch it after having the whole thing spoiled: https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Train-Henry-Ian-Cusick/dp/B00V0IUG5U/

also, collision mentioned the band red fang, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Vcoq-QRo4

E: IT'S THE WRONG GOD DAMNED MOVIE, this book-spoofing thing must be huge

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3631112/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2387589/

padijun fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 29, 2016

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I come here to joke about the correct pronunciation of poirot. There are people who get in a direct line of contact to send him 10 pages (inc. diagrams) about why his pronunciation of aluminum, which was an obvious goof, was wrong. I can't even imagine dealing with people like that on a daily basis. And ultimately, he just expressed bewilderment, conceded the insane person was probably operating in good faith, but asked people not to do it. I would call it the mildest twitter meltdown of all time.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I don't really go over twitter with a fine tooth comb but that's what I picked up

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
It just seems like navigating a minefield of Well Actuallys, but you might still get Well Actuallied for mentioning the band Botch but pedants thought you were mispronouncing Bach

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I somehow dodged the bullet on Ender's Game, should I read it? It's only 324 pages. I know you're Not Supposed to Read the Book, but I really enjoyed RPO for the exact reason J did: it's fun to scoff at dumb bullshit

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ManMythLegend posted:

No. It's not even good, "you're the chosen one," escapist fiction.

the point is it's not good

like batman vs superman was a poo poo of a movie, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of it because snyder thought that merking jimmy olson in scene 1 was a what the fans wanted to see. the martha/martha part put me in an honest-to-god good mood with how dumb it was

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Koburn posted:

Not sure if I missed the reason, why did they do the second book in the series?

collision found two copies at a used book store

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the 90s were loving trash

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

The Time Dissolver posted:

Jay has a spiel in the latest backer ep about "I used to waste so much time performatively hating things for peer approval" and LOL. "Used to"? I love this podcast but wish the hosts would do about one-third as much smug chuckling about how enlightened they are every time something sexist or racist comes up. The way they relish the opportunity is as obvious as a naked dick flapping in the wind.

Collision, earlier in the episode: "There's this disease where everyone thinks they're a comedian. I think it's called (beat) having a penis!" Tell me more about this strange land you live in where opinionated women are a rarity, "dude". Like the snark of Spin circa '94 isn't exactly what I see when I open up Bust, Jezebel, Reductress, etc. today.

it's two dorks from san francisco talking about spin magazine from 1994, chill out

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Guy Mann posted:

Woof, that Timeline ep was a miss. I really don't like their recent trend of picking more well-known books that aren't really outrageous enough to be entertaining to just describe and dissect on their own and then also forgetting to make jokes and just taking potshots at the author and readers instead.

Like, I know that Michael Crichton was a hack with some weird hang-ups but pointing that out over and over isn't really entertaining or why I started listening to this podcast, no matter how many :iceburn:s about nerds they drop while doing it.

could you please never post again

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I liked the bad book party, I just hope they unfuck the audio next time

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
you will be missed, snuffly clackly bulldog who always tried to knock over microphone stands and/or chew on the wire :(

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
they need to drop the woke one-upping for real. on the other hand they apparently get "WELL ACTUALLY"ed so much on twitter it's driven them to this. tough game for a podcast I like

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I expected the latest episode to run out of steam, but it was actually better than the first half because of the great guests.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I had two friends recommend RPO to me because they know I like D&D and other nerd poo poo like that. I hated it and told them so to their faces. but like they said in the IDEOTV episode, it's worth a read if you're one of those people who like to watch bad but entertaining movies to pretentiously scoff at them

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Drunkboxer posted:

Dilbert's Dad

Thank you for referring to him by his proper title

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aGc0nOWWF0k

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

they weren't kidding about the lovely art, that's absolutely unsettling

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why the gently caress is the Iron Giant in a movie about 80s nostalgia?

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/890302045093322758

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I can't listen to this show anymore, collision's gimmick has bled from "hahah I'm insufferable *wink*" to "no this is who I actually am, I don't need to couch it in pretend now"

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ugh, it's not just me, then. JW's as personable as ever, but between Chris and Lauren, I spent the entire episode torn between wanting to hear people rip into a lovely book and wishing to God that it could be anyone besides the inhumanly smug assholes that I was hearing.

Yeah I love JW, he has that dorky enthusiasm that makes me want to keep listening. Every time Chris talks lately I can almost see the sneer on his face

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Apes-Ma posted:

Collision is kind of a twat, but he wasn't that bad this episode.

I don't know, I guess I don't want to jokingly be called a cheap gently caress for not subscribing another glossy liberal publication that's signal boosting the alt-right, even if *twist!* this time it's about alt-right women!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Punkin Spunkin posted:

These dudes always struck me as slightly pretentious as they knocked underhanded softball pitches of literature out of the park, but I definitely rolled my eyes at the One Dude talking about What Poetry Is.
Like the book they're discussing is def garbage but still.

Well I mean I buy it, poetry shouldn't be the exact same thing for hundreds of pages