Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a
Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a
Forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence
Impoverished, in squalor
Grow up to be a hero and a scholar?

Welcome to Hamilton Mafia, a game for 13 players.

This is a mostly closed setup, but open flavour. A list of the historical figures in this game is below. However, roles and alignment have been randomly assigned. There is no guarantee that Burr or Maria Reynolds are scum or that Hamilton is town, so don't go making any flavour arguments for anything or I will laugh at you. Here is the list of characters (in order of appearance)

• Aaron Burr
  • Alexander Hamilton
  • John Laurens
  • Marquis de Lafayette
  • Hercules Mulligan
  • Eliza Schuyler
  • Angelica Schuyler
  • King George III
  • George Washington
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • James Madison
  • Philip Hamilton
  • Maria Reynolds

In addition, historical figures that are played by the same actor will be in unconfirmed masonries with each other, even if they are scum together. There will be three unconfirmed masonries:

• Daveed Diggs Masonry - Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson
  • Oak Masonry - Hercules Mulligan and James Madison
  • Anthony Ramos Masonry - John Laurens and Philip Hamilton

A note: this game is open to anyone who wants to play, but I highly, highly recommend that you do not play unless you know the musical. There will be day events that will give advantages based on knowing things about the musical. You will be at a pretty significant disadvantge if you do not know it, also I will like you a lot less.

Standard rules apply, I'll add these in later.

Players
  1. Absurd Revolver
  2. AnonymousNarcotics
  3. CCKeane
  4. dongsbot 9000
  5. Jimson
  6. Kashuno
  7. Li Dawny
  8. Meinberg
  9. MMM Whatchya Say
  10. Nth Doctor
  11. PBS Newshour
  12. SirSamVimes
  13. tpink

Asiina fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Even if this fills up today, I don't fly out until tomorrow, so probably won't start until Wednesday even though everything is written.

In the meantime we can all fangirl out about the musical and how much we all love Lin because he's amazing and I'm basically a stalker at this point.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Did you see clipping. released acapellas of their entire last album?

It's soooo good.

http://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/clppng-acapellas

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also the only true way to listen to the cast recording is to listen to the entire thing in one go, while reading the lyrics along with it.

It's truly a story and individual songs will never do it justice.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

i have the bootleg with fixed audio i am a monster

me 2 don't tell Lin he'll be so mad :(

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I did not. Cool.

I'm glad Clipping exists so that I don't have to listen Death Grips.

Fun fact. I had been listening to Clipping for years before I heard Hamilton and it still took me like 6 months before I realized Daveed Diggs was in both.

In addition to my love for Lin, I also love Daveed Diggs. I actually like the acapella versions of the clipping. songs though rather than the full versions, cause it has a lot of sorta unnatural noises that I'm sure works for them, but I find takes away from how good the lyrics are. I essentially just like to listen to Daveed rap really fast.

PBS Newshour posted:

i hope now that lin is probably going to become a super duper superstar instead of just a superstar and the toast of new york he makes MBMBaM famous as well so they could get a tv show or something

He's one away from an EGOT and he's writing the songs for the new Pixar movie that comes out in November, so really it's extremely possible he gets it this year.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What do you think the worst Hamilton line is? I think it's definitely Aaron Burr saying "I'll keep all my plans close to my chest" basically just telling about his character after an entire act of showing it.

"You can keep seeing my whore wife if the price is right. If not I'm telling your wife."

It's super clunky.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also "Now for a strong central democracy. If not then I'll be Socrates throwing verbal rocks at these mediocrities."

It's an interesting line, but it just never feels right to say. I can do all of Guns and Ships and the rant from We Know without a second thought, but I still struggle to get that right.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

Something about Lin tricks you brain into forgetting he is some sort of talented and charismatic superhuman so that he always just seems like a normal guy which makes his rise to fame really enjoyable, because its like "woo score 1 for the normies" except he is some sort of monster

I think it's because he's just so enthusiastic about everything. He's enjoyment of life is contagious. Also he posts dumb memes on twitter every day. He's a regular guy who also happens to be a complete genius.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also sneak preview for the game: I hope you know Guns and Ships.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's not the greatest song, but it's a whole lot of fun to sing. I put it in the same league as Farmer Refuted and We Know. Super necessary to the plot? Nah (We Know is, but could be put in somewhere else if need be). A whole lot of fun to sing once you know the words. Hells yeah.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Like objectively the best song is My Shot, but also I think it depends what kind of person you are whether My Shot or Wait For It resonates with you more. I like Wait For It as a song, but it doesn't really hit me like some other people.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

If Hamilton isn't a Beloved Prince idk what you're doing

The setup was made independently of the characters and then RNG'd. Unlike my last game I wanted to make sure the actual mafia game was balanced rather than trying to cater to flavour while sacrificing the actual game. This is a flavour heavy game, but it will still be a very typical mafia game outside of that. Even the day events, which have rewards, are balanced.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess my feelings about Guns & Ships is that people who don't listen to rap (Which like, I'm not trying to be pretentious about this or anything, I think it's great that Hamilton introduced rap to a lot of people) will be impressed with it for doing what already reasonably popular in Hip Hop. Like, Guns & Ships is a great song, but I feel like it's not as innovative as the rest of the album. IDK, that's just like, my opinion man.

Yeah I am definitely one of those people, which is why I like it. I never in my life listened to any rap whatsoever and so to get super into this and not only enjoy the music, but just begin to appreciate the skill required to be able to physically say words that fast has been pretty eye opening and makes me really enjoy it. You not only have to memorize the words (and there's not that many words in Guns and Ships) but in trying to sing it, you have to get your mouth to move much faster than you normally would. So learning that song and practicing being able to sing it felt like I was honing a skill I never tried before. It feels like an accomplishment. I've come to understand how it's pretty standard for someone like Daveed Diggs and within rap it's not really that impressive for him (he said somewhere recently it took him about 10 minutes to learn), but it's just a lot of fun for me.

Also relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNBdgv6VBs

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Burr and Hamilton are quite similar, and I like them both.

I love Eliza though. Like it's secretly a super strong feminist show.

My absolute favourite small thing that never gets talked about is from the very last song where the ensemble repeats with increasing urgency "Will they tell your story?" except that's not what Eliza says. The first time she says "We tell your story" but then when she starts talking about all the work she did it becomes "Will they tell our story?" and then finally after talking about the orphanage she says "Will they tell my story?"

She's completely taken control of her own narrative and it's not just about Hamilton, it's secretly been about Eliza the whole time.

It's to the point where one of the things that will instantly trigger my tears is when the ensemble first says "Eliza" in that last song. It's so powerful a message.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I view Peggy in the song Schuyler Sisters as Dooneese from the famous SNL sketch

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-lawrence-welk-show/n12318

My friend and I were singing along in the car on the way to Banff the other day and we got to The Schuyler Sisters and he'd sing Peggy's lines in his deep bass voice and it'd crack me up every time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

I think I've listened to the soundtrack like 50 times now?

I couldn't even begin to count. Most days I will listen to it at the very least once, but usually two or three times.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah, definitely. I also think Hamilton is way more accessible than most Hip Hop, because the subject matter is basically just more interesting, with less unpleasant things and that it's essentially a concept album in a genre that doesn't really have a standout concept album.

Exactly. Most of the reasons I never got into rap was because as a white Canadian woman I felt like rap and hip hop never really spoke to my experience. I couldn't find a way to engage with it so I wrote it off at a fairly early age. So more than just liking this musical (and for a whole host of other emotional and intellectual reasons), I also really appreciate it for teaching me to have some appreciation for the complexity and talent and skill that goes into good hip hop.

It's really the gift that keeps on giving.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

i am thankful for the existence of hamilton because at least now asiina is taking in media other than the west wing

i was afraid she was going to overdose and get sorkinitics

Shows what you know, Hamilton and The West Wing are very similar and there is a Sorkin line in Hamilton.

"As long as you come home at the end of the day, that would be enough" is taken from not just The West Wing but also from Sports Night because Aaron Sorkin likes to repeat his lines he likes.

"The only thing you ever had to do to make me happy was come home at the end of the day."

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm trying not to listen to it too much so I don't burn myself out by the time I go to NY.

I am honest to God concerned I am going to be unable to stop myself from singing along once I finally go. It's essentially muscle memory at this point. I think I'll be too busy making this face this whole time though.

When are you going? Did you manage to get lucky with tickets or did you pay the big bucks for the resales?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

My tickets are for August. I ordered them in 2015 so I'm not sure if that counts as lucky.

Ah awesome. I guess sorta lucky since you got them before it exploded and became basically impossible. Like I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky. There was a 5 minute window to check twitter to be able to get those tickets, and I managed it completely by accident.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

I'm on mobile right now but burr and Hamilton are vastly different characters who, while crossing paths and having somewhat similar goals (although not really) have completely different character arcs and burr is far superior because Hamilton doesn't change throughout the entire story. I love the show but being real Hamilton is probably the only one note character in the whole thing

I guess I like the cyclical nature of Hamilton's arc and that he absolutely can't help himself from speaking up and pushing for greater things no matter how much trouble it gets him in. Like the transition from Dear Theodosia to Non-Stop, which is fueled by a song that's not on the cast recording, in that he feels he needs to keep going for the sake of Laurens who ran out of time to do what he wanted. Then the obvious example is Hurricane where he feels like he has to do something and ruins his own life. But my favourite example is exactly one word, and that's "Yo" from The Election of 1800. He's still softly saying It's Quiet Uptown, so he's in that family mindset and focusing on Eliza and his surviving children and his grief, but when pressed to be important again by pushing delegates to vote, he just can't help himself. The bravado with which he says "Yo" is so intense and tells you that once again he can't help himself but to speak up.

So I don't think it's one note, I think it's a person who has a really deep character flaw that despite lots of effort to improve it and devastating consequences because of it, he just is unable to help himself. He has to speak his mind and he has to be in the spotlight.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Wouldn't that make you Hamilton, idk.

Nah, Burr wants power for its own sake and so he can be important. The Room Where it Happens is about wanting to be in the know. It's a gossip's ambition. Hamilton wants power because he wants to impact change. He has a strong moral compass. Too strong.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Ok just finished listening to act 1. I dub it mediocre so far. The songs I know better I enjoy more so I guess the more I listen to it the more it would grow on me.

You're not allowed to play anymore!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

In the course of this show, Hamilton refuses multiple "secretary" positions to get to the top where he thinks he will be best, constantly causes issues for Washington, married a woman he didn't love, cheats on her, harms his own political party, hugely impacts financial and government systems with no regard for anyone but his own goals, indirectly causes the death of his son, acts smug as all hell when confronted by Jefferson and crew about his infidelity, puts his infidelity to the press as a reveal to his wife, is in love with his sister in law, etc etc etc. Hamilton is driven by his own status

This is a pretty slanted view on a lot of these things. He does love Eliza. He also loves Angelica, but that doesn't mean he doesn't love Eliza. He also studied extremely hard to come up with his financial system, and his frustration stems that nobody is taking it seriously. He believes strongly in things and is literally a "this is a hill I'm going to die on" about them all, which is why compromise comes so hard to him. He's strongly abolitionist, he believes in a strong central democracy, he believes in the constitution, he believes in Washington.

I agree he has a lot of flaws, and one of them is a complete lack of consideration about how his actions affect others around him. It's all very my way or the highway. He also really wants to increase his status since he came from horrendous conditions in his childhood and wants to build something to be remembered for. But that's not the same thing as power for power's sake, which is what Burr is all about.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Angelica says it clearly in satisfied that he will never be satisfied with her. He is writing to Angelica when Eliza is trying to get him to come to dinner on Phillips birthday. He specifically says "longing for Angelica, missing my wife" and longing is a much more powerful word. He loves Angelica truly, and Eliza never satisfied him

No, she's saying he'll never be satisfied in general, not just with her, which he says himself in their meeting. Which is true, he always wants more.

Angelica is his intellectual equal, but that doesn't mean he doesn't love Eliza deeply.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

A lot of this is because I've gotten increasingly jaded, but I think a dude like Burr who slips into a role with a decent but flexible sense of duty can effect a lot of change. I suspect a lot of this is because I know several radical types that disgust me since I hear them cheer on terrible things that happen to people they disagree with, and I think some people just have a sense of right and wrong that goes no further than "bad things happening to bad people are good"

I agree that Hamilton's way of doing things is a very scary ends justify the means, but Burr's complete lack of moral fibre is equally terrifying. Hamilton wants certain things to happen and is willing to go to any length to get them done. Burr literally has no beliefs in the entire show other than his love for his daughter. You can't rely on someone like that in power to actually affect change that will reflect what you want out of your government. It's a purely selfish desire and for an official who is supposed to represent the people's interests, that's dangerous.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Power is pretty neutral, it's how you use it that matters. If Hamilton was more willing to schmooze and compromise, he'd probably have better luck in accomplishing some of his loftier goals. Hell, Room Where it Happened was about compromise, wasn't it?

It was and it basically broke him.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

Yeah but in reality, Burr did have some very strong beliefs like women's rights and abolition, and acted upon them. He certainly would have made an interesting president in a world where the Hamilton endorsement went the other way.

Yeah I've been reading Chernow's book and I've read a fair bit about Hamilton and Burr outside of what's in the musical, so I'm trying not to let that colour my view. Burr was a very interesting person in that he did have some admirable qualities, but also some of the stuff he did after he shot Hamilton reinforces the idea that he just wanted to collect power for himself.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

My favourite Burr character flaw is his ability to gently caress up strong positions. When he meets Washington, he gets so tripped up in formalities he never actually says anything. It's worth noting that at this point in the story he's already a war hero. He briefly alluded to with the Montgomery line, but never actually went anywhere with it.

I like that too. He spent so much time flattering Washington and trying to namedrop General Montgomery that he never got to the point.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Is this game even full? I don't even know, I'm just enjoying this conversation. It's really great analysis.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Fighting in a war effort is a strong belief in and of itself, even if he hedged until he thought the time was right.

I'm far, far more scared of somebody who is obsessed with an end than I am of someone who is just a power seeker. A power seeker will be pragmatic and measured, a zealot with burn everything down.

I agree that a fanatic is scary in ways that someone who just wants power isn't, but you have the comfort of knowing what the fanatic believes and what he will fight for, because he's going to loving tell you in 10,000 words if you give him the chance. The person with blind ambition is a mystery though. Will they work in your interests? Will they support you when you need them? Or will you be abandoned in the face of their own personal gain? There's no way to know and people who don't have a strong system of beliefs to guide them are ones that can let atrocities happen as long as their lot in life continues to improve.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

So why is power grabbing bad? Because I'm not accepting it as an inherently bad thing. Of course, I also support Hilary Clinton, so there's that.

I don't think it's bad on its own, but it's bad when that's the sole thing you want. Burr seems to want power for his own sake and once he gets that power then ?????

Hamilton wants power because he has strong beliefs and wants to be in a position where he can make what he believes a reality and he's going to keep wanting more power until there's nobody to stand in his way.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also turns out we are full. I can start the game tonight if you want, if you don't mind my not really being around for the next two days.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My favourite Burr story is that Burr was the lawyer representing Maria Reynolds in her divorce from James Reynolds.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Alright, role PMs will go out over the next hour or so. I'm on my laptop in a bed, so it's a pain to copy and paste things. I'll leave the thread open so keep talking.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
FYI the real Philip Hamilton was super hot.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Day 1 begins now.

Also......

:siren: Welcome to the Day 1 Event!. :siren:

You have the next 48 hours to record yourself singing Lafayette's part in Guns and Ships. You can do the other parts if you want, either before or record multiple tracks and combine them, but Lafayette's part must be clear and complete. Post your attempt in the thread. Everyone who successfully completes it will get something, so you don't need to be the first or the best, but I reserve the right to disqualify people who didn't put any effort into it. Give it a try!

To help you out here is the full song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwydujSqMRA

Here is a karaoke version with Lafayette's part cut out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-KcR-VbaM

Good luck!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yesssssss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

erghhhh oh god I am so self conscious about singing gently caress. I'll do it tonight tho.

It's more rapping than singing, but if it makes you feel better here is me TERRIBLY singing Farmer Refuted. I can't sing and drat like that's gonna stop me.

https://soundcloud.com/user-457014637/farmer

• Locked thread