Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Killer Myc- Head of Security
music

Myc readied his claymore from some unknown part of his grotesque figure. Anybody who was willing to let the destitute die was going to have to answer to him

He stood on the defensive, ready to take any hits his allies might endure.

Initiative (+3): 1d20+3 17

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Avéline "Honest Avé" Lyon, Press Secretary

"Well, excuse me for not immediately assuming I was speaking to a brainless thug who responds only to violence. I guess if it looks like a duck, and has an inflated ego like a duck..." Despite her best efforts, the carrot has failed, and Avéline prepares to literally try the stick.

Initiative: 1d20+4+1 15

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
With Quorum incommunicado, we're going to keep going. 3 of the mooks unceremoniously vanish into the ether.

The two enormous bodyguards smile and limber up, knuckles popping loudly as they approach. One frowns in mock-disappointment.
"Awww, come on, we do more than beat people up. I'm a musician, don't you know? Listen, I'm gonna play a little something."
He darts forward! But Myc is already moving, and the huge Ganger's meaty fist collides with the mycenid's arm with a wooden thump. The thug recoils and shakes his hand.
"Ah, hellspawn, its like punching a wall!"

Red engages Killer Myc!
Jab, 15 vs AC misses!

The other laughs at his friend's misfortune. "Hah! Come on, you gonna let these babyfaced dreamers embarrass you like that?"
With Killer Myc occupied, the second attacker confronts Clifford, who is knocked silly by a one-two combination! He's sent stumbling and recovers to see his foe readying a follow up attack.
"Now this is something I like to call the Bullette Breaker."

Blue engages Clifford!
Jab, 23 vs AC hits! 7 damage
Nat 16+, follows up with a Hook, 16 vs AC just hits! 5 more damage
Combo threat! Clifford will be beat down if he's engaged with blue next turn.

Myc and Aveline are up!
Escalation is at 0.

pre:
Red Half-Giant	AC17 PD16 MD12	32/32 HP
Blue Half-Giant	AC17 PD16 MD12	32/32 HP
Bullette Scum	AC16 PD14 MD11	15/15HP (5 per)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Spores of Decay (half-giant): 1d20+4 15 vs PD but I forgot to add the +1 for level, although idk if it applies to this attack. Just in case, i'm going to roll damage.
Spore damage (Negative Energy): 1d6 4
Smite the Living (Half Giant): 1d20+5 13 vs AC 1d10+1d12+4 16

Smite the Living does half damage on a miss, so 8 damage to the half-giant engaged with me

When the giant's fist came into contact with the myconid's flesh, a large cloud of black spores was released into the air. Seizing the opportunity to fight within his own haze of death, Myc took his claymore and started to swing wildly- hoping at some point to hit the gigantic creature he was engaged with.

This was to his detriment, as he was swinging wildly the giant saw an opportunity and grabbed the Myconid's large, unwieldy weapon by the blade with its bare hands. The two creatures engaged in a duel of wills, neither side willing to look away, until Myc's blade pulsed with an unholy energy that the giant could feel it withering and aging his very being, enough so that it let go of Myc's blade with a yelp of pain coupled with what Myc assumed was fear.

Standing within a devouring black cloud of his own spores, the Myconid made sure to keep Clifford and Aveline closeby while the Giant darted around him in the smoky haze.

I assume Clifford and Aveline are going to be considered nearby unless they move? Or does me being engaged mean I'd have to disengage to do any of my tricks to help them out?

If Clifford takes 10+ damage I'd like to use bastion, 15+ for Ave

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 21, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

The aasimar suddenly she darts forward and bops the half-giant fighting Clifford on the back of the head with her staff. It does little more than anger him, and he swings a fist back at his assailant. Avéline stumbles and falls on her rump, feeling the gust of air as the mighty blow wooshes past her head. Looks like that shadowy bad luck is working in her favor, for the moment. She scrambles back to her feet and prepares for the thug's retaliation.

Engage blue half-giant as part of this standard action
Springing Mantis Strike: 1d20+4+1 10 1 miss damage; +1 AC USOMNT
Move: Disengage: 1d20 7 nope
Quick: Halo, +2 all defenses until hit

pre:
Avéline Lyon, Aasimar Monk (Improved) 1

HP 21/21 Recoveries 8/8 (1d8) Ki 6/6
Base defenses AC 16 PD 13 MD 16
Temporary Bonuses +3 AC, +2 PD/MD
Melee Attack 1d20+4+1 JAB 1d8+4 PUNCH 1d8+4 KICK 1d10+4

Powers
Claws of the Panther (form)
Dance of the Mantis (form)
Halo (1/battle)
Leaf on the Wind (1/battle)
Phoenix Touch (2/day)

Ki Powers
Certain Vengeance Posture: engaged enemy that hits me becomes vulnerable to my attacks UEOB
Wind's Comrade: gain flight UEOMT
Rise from the Ashes: make immediate normal save against daze/weaken/confuse/hamper/stun

Consumables
none

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
When faced with the choice between fighting the spore spewing mycenid or the frailer looking humans, the decision is easy. The remaining Bullettes come rushing to the aid of the Half-Giant fighting a 2v1 battle with a warcry.
Which only serves to alert Clifford and Avéline of their assault. Clifford dodges around two clumsy blows, and Avéline stumbles just out of the way of another attack. Lucky!

Mooks engage Clifford and Avéline. 2 attacks on Clifford, 1 on Avéline
11 vs AC misses Clifford, 9 misses, 17 vs AC misses Avéline thanks to Halo!

But Clifford finds himself surrounded, and the wall of muscle is preparing for heavy attack. If he can't get away, he's going to be in trouble!
All those bodies means Cliffords at -3 to disengage though. If he doesn't, the Thug engaged with him gets a strong attack.

Clifford is up!
Escalation is at 0.

pre:
Red Half-Giant	AC17 PD16 MD12	20/32 HP
Blue Half-Giant	AC17 PD16 MD12	31/32 HP

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Clifford Marshall - Manager of Public Relations

After the thrashing that Clifford takes from the the thug, he attempts to back away, only to see himself surrounded. Sensing that he has nowhere else to turn, he looks towards Avéline and gestures her to hit the big guy alongside him so that he can maybe throw him off balance. His flail connects, but is it enough?

Start of Battle: Moment of Glory (Add to any d20 roll throughout the battle): 1d4 1 Well poo poo...

Move Action: Disengage: 1d20-3 7 Well poo poo...
Standard Action: Basic Melee Attack: 1d20+4+1 24 1d10+4 8 That's better.... Hey, can I add my Moment of Glory to that to make it a crit so I don't die? :allears:
Quick Action: Basic Tactical Strike for Avéline to hit the big guy with a Melee Basic Attack as a free action before his turn.

pre:
Clifford Marshall, Human Commander  1

HP: 15/27 Recoveries 8/8 (1d8 + 2)
Command Points: 2
AC 16 PD 13 MD 13  Init: +3

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Melee Basic Attack: 1d20+4+1 12 1d8+4 6 :rolldice:

pre:

HP 21/21 Recoveries 8/8 (1d8) Ki 6/6
Melee Attack 1d20+4+1 JAB 1d6+4 PUNCH 1d8+4 KICK 1d10+4

Powers
[ ] Halo (1/battle)
[ ] Leaf on the Wind (1/battle)
[ ] [ ] Phoenix Touch (2/day)

Ki Powers
Certain Vengeance Posture: engaged enemy that hits me becomes vulnerable to my attacks UEOB
Rise from the Ashes: make immediate normal save against daze/weaken/confuse/hamper/stun

Consumables
none

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
That's a negative on the crit threat, especially considering later buffs that talent gets.

The Bullette towering over Clifford shakes his arms out and smiles.
"Times up, baby-face."
Clifford, smacked around as he is, gets nearly blindsided by the next flurry of blows. First, a kick to the knee, then a vicious hook that would certainly have put him under, if not for Killer Myc's timely intervention. Even with the mycenid's help, Clifford only stays standing thanks to a desperate deflection of the last straight. Things aren't looking good for him!

Blue uses Beatdown on Clifford, 3 attacks!
18 vs AC hits, Crit!, 11 misses
Bastion used on the Crit
Clifford takes 10 damage, Myc takes 5

btw Arrrthritis, what's the fiction behind Bastion for you character?

The other one sizes up Killer Myc, and suddenly turns tail!
"Don't get paid enough to deal with this. Incoming, boyos!"
He attempts a jumping kick against Avéline! But she deftly ducks it and prepares to counterattack. But its getting crowded over there!

Red attempts disengage, 11 succeeds!
Engages Avéline, attacks!
12 vs AC misses

Killer Myc and Avéline are up!
Escalation is at 1!. don't forget it!

pre:
Blue Half-Giant	AC17 PD16 MD12	22/32 HP

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I'm imagining in this case, the giant disengages with me around the same time the other one starts his attacks on clifford.

When the cloud of fungal spores cleared, Myc took a quick look of his surroundings to find the image of Clifford taking a knee to the stomach. Without a second thought, the Myconid ran to intercept the power hook Clifford was about to take.

The Giant's fist collided with the Myconid's arm and a great big puff of black spores exploded from his body, floating downwards and invigorating Clifford with a somewhat negative energy. It wasn't as if the human commander had healed, his wounds were still there and very much visible, but rather an undead vigor had been installed into the man's spirit. As if he could continue fighting even if he were to die on the battlefield.

Myc swung his Claymore at the Giant that had attacked his comrade. He needed to draw the thing's attention away from his friends, so he tried to say something aggravating while his claymore connected with the half-giant's arm.

"..."

Well, he'll probably think of something clever next time.

Move Action: Move close to Clifford & Engage blue half-giant
Quick Action: Lay on Hands Clifford
Standard Action: Attacking blue half-giant (1d20+4+1+1): 1d20+6 18 1d10+4 9

pre:
Killer Myc
Stats			Recharge | Daily
HP 25/30 (00)           [X] Spores of Decay
AC 20			[X]|[ ] [ ] [ ] Smite the Living
PD 13			[X][ ]Lay on Hands
MD 12		        [X] Bastion
Recoveries 7/8 (1d10+2)
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 23, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Being surrounded by half a dozen large, burly men is not an ideal situation for Avéline, even if one of them is friendly. With a whirl of her staff, she knocks back her newfound admirers, then runs up the blue half-giant and vaults over his head to relative safety next to Myc. The badly wounded thug advances again, but that's still an 80% reduction in the amount of immediate threats to Avéline's safety.

Cat Cuts Between Hounds: 1d20+4+1+1 17 hits, burn 1 ki for a natural even roll
1d8+4 7 damage to Blue
1d6 6 damage to all engaged enemies
Disengage: 1d20-3 -1
Leaf on Wind Disengage: 1d20-3 12
move behind Myc and re-engage with Blue

pre:

HP 21/21 Recoveries 8/8 (1d8) Ki 5/6
Melee Attack 1d20+4+1
JAB 1d6+4 PUNCH 1d8+4 KICK 1d10+4

Powers
[x] Halo (1/battle)
[x] Leaf on the Wind (1/battle)

Ki Powers

Consumables
none

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Clifford recovers 7 HP
Also... if the all engaged damage stacks with the strike damage (And I believe it does) Blue Half-Giant is down to 0 exactly

Avéline's staff knocks all the smaller thugs silly, laying them flat on the floor in a razor quick flurry of blows. The Half-Giant that had been beating down Clifford takes two blows to the temples, and when the monk flips lightly over him, he dizzies himself turning around, stumbles, and falls like a sack of bricks to the floor!

The last one stands slackjawed, but still puts up his fists.
"I'd like to see you do that twice, little girl!"

With the mooks all down, its now Clifford's turn. Escalation is at 1!

pre:

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

I don't need the dice to like me. I just need to soak up damage.

Fearing for the worst, Clifford winces a bit to accept the promised blows. After the first one connects, he closes his eyes expecting the KO blow when a wave of calmness flows over him. Well, calmness and spores. He opens his eyes to see Myc blocking the attack in time for Avéline to finish off the big bruiser along with the rest of the riff raff.

"Thanks team." He squeaks out. It wasn't this difficult to get people to listen in Drakkenhall. But then again, that didn't end well at all. "Lets see if I can knock some sense into him." as Clifford moves behind him to take out the back of the brute's knees with his flail.

Move: Behind the giant into a flanking position. Yes I have no sense of self preservation.
Standard: Basic Melee Attack (d20 + STR + LVL + ED): 1d20+4+1+1 20 1d10+4 7
Free: Fight From the Front: 1d4 1

Conditional: If MYC misses by a lot, use Try Again! for 2 CP. If he misses by 6 or fewer, spend CP to give him +2 to the d20 roll for each CP spent. (Forceful Command)

pre:
Clifford Marshall
Stats			Once Per Battle
HP 12/27 (00)		  [X]Moment of Glory
AC 16			  [ ]Forceful Command
PD 13			Recharge
MD 13		          [X]BTS (11+)	
Recoveries 8/8 (1d8+2)	Command Points: 3

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
When the thug gets clipped on the legs by Clifford, he rears back instinctively, sending a roundhouse kick into Clifford's arm. That'll be bruised for certain.

Half-Giant attacks Clifford! 21 vs AC hits, 7 damage
Well I was fishing for a damage burst but since that's a negatory...

But its the last guy standing, and he'd obviously been hoping for a OHKO. He looks around, pauses for breath, and mutters.
"Diabolist with a pike, you can't be for real!"

And with that he turns tail and flees.
You can certainly catch him, but the half-giants seem like muscle for hire rather than anyone high in the gang hierarchy.

You cast around for any more threats, but you're all alone in the alleys of Ragtown. At least for the moment.

Good to have you back, Quorum, hope this is a good place to reinsert yourself in the narrative.
edit: btw we have a discord server and its been pretty helpful here's a link for you: discord.gg/YEty74X

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 24, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

music

Myc took a look around Ragtown with his many eyes to see if there was anyone else watching him- be them gang members, Delm, Cadeuceus, or bystanders not wanting to get caught in the crossfire of the battle. With his claymore in his hands he stands over the half-giant that Aveline had knocked out, as if he was going to coup de grace the creature that he was fighting only seconds before. He thought back to his times in Necropolis and with only a second's passing sheathed his sword and extended a gigantic fungal arm to the fallen thug.

"Sorry about your arm, friend. Ideally we'd be on the same side here, but that's politics for you."

As he helped the great creature to his feet, he did what could be interpreted as a nod at Aveline and Clifford, as if they would be able to divine his intentions with his unclear gesture.

"What's your name, player? I'm Myc. Killer Myc."

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

"I didn't think it would be this hard to get cooperation in preventing a massacre." he blinked to try to get his vision straight again. "The Dwarven housing corps are coming as we speak, so if the gangs aren't going to help us, we should probably try to get the aid of someone else who has the people's ear. The clergy, perhaps?"

Rather than immediately springing into action, Clifford sits down on the ground and tends to his bruises.

Gonna try to get some HP back...
Recovery (1): 1d8+2 5
Recovery (2): 1d8+2 7
Recovery (3): 1d8+2 3
:mad:

Recharging Basic Tactical Strike: 1d20 19
:)

pre:
Clifford Marshall
Stats			Once Per Battle
HP 18/27 (00)		  [ ]Moment of Glory
PD 13			Recharge
MD 13		          [ ]BTS (11+)	
Recoveries 5/8 (1d8+2)	Command Points: 3

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The Half-Giant cringes, waiting for the final blade chop. When it doesn't come, he, very hesitantly, takes Myc's hand. The Killer part was still causing him problems.
"Its, uh, its no big deal. M'names Bebop."

As Clifford is binding up his wounds and speaking, he looks up to see a roll of white bandages being proffered.
"Clergy might help, yeah. Or'n you can talk to me."
He looks up into the face of a Half-Orc with keen eyes and a bit of a slur. You notice his tusks have been sloppily cut off, then crudely replaced with brass.

thanks paizo

"Heard the commotion down here, thought I'd check it out. Name's Sudd, and the half-orcs around here listen to me when I sez so."
He walks over to some of the Bullettes lying on the ground, looks around, and gives a low whistle. A small crowd of young looking half-orcs descends on the thugs so recently put under by Avéline's staff and begins to efficiently take everything on their person. Bebop gives them a snarl and is left alone, but his arm prevents him stopping his fellow gang members from being robbed.

Sudd turns to you, hand on hips, and looks you over.
"Coldfish the moneylender's got Delm and the Bullettes acting as hired muscle these days. They don't mind if Rabbleward gets burned down, means these folks'll have to borrow to try to build back up. You new around here? Struttin' around like that only gets you bad attention, Rabbleward don't like tourists."

He gives you a cool look. Clearly he hasn't made his mind up about you just yet.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

"Yes, we're new in town, and clearly we have much to learn about the situation here. I can't speak for the others, but I probably fall into the 'bleeding heart' category here, if only because I don't want a whole district of people put on the street. I know we need help from one of the players in this district, someone people know and trust, and I honestly I don't care who does it. Mr. Sudd, was it? You seem more willing to hear reason than the last guy, and the fact that you're not picking a fight means you're certainly much more intelligent. We'll do whatever favor you need to make a deal work but it will have to wait; time is of the essence here."

Gentle Persuader (CHA): 1d20+3+5+1 29 CRIT

pre:

Melee Attack 1d20+4+1

Powers
[ ] Halo (1/battle)

Ki Powers

Consumables
none

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Myc keeps an eye on Bebop while Clifford and his half-orcs rob the Bulettes on the ground. "Bebop, huh?" The Myconid pondered for a second while a centipede crawled out of one of his arms to traverse along his gigantic body. "Well, a shame your buddy left you here for dead." The centipede on Myc's body lunged its pincers somewhere into the mushroom man's torso, latching onto some unknown insect and crawling back into the dark knight's arms.

"You're welcome to tag along until you find your friend again, I get the feeling we might be running into him in our line of work." Several of Myc's many eyes blinked in an asynchronous manner while he talked, "Or if you don't think Coldfish is the kind of guy to give second chances, you can always find some work with the Dwarf King. He'll set you up good."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Bebop stares at the insects inhabiting Myc's body while the mycenid speaks.
"R...Right, uh, I think I'm just gonna lay low for a little while. Th...thanks for not killing me."
Bebop nearly sprints away, but you get the feeling you haven't seen the last of him.

Sudd gives Avéline an incredulous look, but a huge grin begins to crawl across his face.
"Heh. Ha! HAHAHA! Bleeding heart? I bled a lot more n' that keeping me n' mine alive. But if'n we're gonna stand up to the Imperial Legion, I think we're gonna need a bit of insurance.

Two big gangs control Rabbleward and Saltpork. Delm and the Bullettes, you've met, but their main opponent on the beat are the Rocs, led by an elf called Graysk. She ain't nice either, but the Rocs been on the back foot ever since Coldfish started hirin' Bullettes for debt collection and such. Normally when we get a burnout everyone's got their little hideaways, but this years different. This year the Bullettes gonna be right behind the Legion, "watching the fires." Lootin, more like, but seems like someone in the legion ain't above a little bribery. Suffice to say, the Rocs ain't happy about the situation."

The other half orcs have finished up, and have started to disperse. Sudd waves them off, but has a few more things to add.
"So, you're thinking we send the population of Rabbleward to Uptown? Ain't gonna be pleasant, but hey, it'll be nicer than camping outside the city. I'll get mine at least ready to move, but pink-skins ain't likely to listen to me. Graysk and hers mostly operate out of a tavern in the east side, under the Goldring lip. You convince her, I'll be convinced you got something going on."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Myc nods Bebop a farewell as the half-giant sprints for freedom, then turns to face Sudd and his half-orc kin.

"That could prove to be a promising avenue." Myc continues talking, although it's unclear whether he only just tuned in to the conversation halfway through. "What do you know about this Graysk lady? She the type of person to do a favor out of spite, or would money be in her best interests?"

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

"I'm sure we could probably talk some sense into her," Clifford says as he stands up, the wind returned to his lungs. "But we should probably hurry over there. Our contingency from Forge will be coming soon, and it will be swift. It's best to have all points of the plan in motion in order to make our message come loud and clear. Nothing sows confusion more than a poorly worded message, and ours must clearly state 'Dwarf King Good, Emperor Not'."

He starts to walk east while Myc gets some details. "Let's go 'Roc' the vote!" Clifford says to himself and chuckles at his poorly thought out pun. Well they can't all be winners.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

CommaToes posted:

He starts to walk east while Myc gets some details. "Let's go 'Roc' the vote!" Clifford says to himself and chuckles at his poorly thought out pun. Well they can't all be winners.

Cadeucus laughs at this, because of course he does.

I'll re-insert myself at the scene change. :)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

"Graysk? She's a brooder, that'n. Always plotting how to get hers on them's that wronged her. I mean, she won't say no to a full purse, but everyone thinks she got a bit of drow in 'er, if you know what I mean."

---

You start moving again, this time a little more wary about the people around you. But Myc's giant alien form is a fine deterrent against pickpockets or the like. Too risky when you can't see where all the eyes are.
Isn't long before you find Tusk's Rest, on the far end of Rabbleward. An ancient sinkhole left this part of town under a lip of rock and earth. Above you can see the filigreed roofs of Goldring, as well as the shimmer of magical wards. Protections against fire, trash, and unwanted guests, ancient as the city itself.

Below, though, Tusk's Rest is a ancient charred timber, fresh brittle boards, and rat-eaten cloth over the holes. It's fairly lively as you approach, as noon deepens into evening and the sun sinks below the buildings and the caldera wall. But the moment you walk in, the whole bar goes dead silent.

Up on a table, and elf with a strange tattoo sits back and points a sword at you.

"You're the performers, finally got around to the Rocs. Well? Let's hear it."
It's the dwarven council chamber all over again, except the weapons are a bit more real. Well, most of them anyway.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

This time, Avéline sizes up the situation for a moment, reading the elf's attitude and the room's temperament before speaking. "You'll have to forgive us for not knowing who to go to first. As outsiders do, we wandered blindly into the district looking to talk to the people in charge, and the Bulettes took offense. We sent them packing, but I'm hoping you'll be more amenable to a deal of some kind." She gracefully moves across the room, avoiding eye contact with the many gazes upon her, and approaches Graysk. "Avéline Lyon. The big fellow goes by Myc, and these are Clifford and Cadeucus. And you're Graysk, leader of the Rocs. May we sit?"

First Impressions: 1d20+3+5+1 28

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Graysk seems a bit taken aback. Then there's the slightest hint of a smirk.

"Mme. Lyon, the pleasure is mine. Please, be seated."

She stands instead, and walks around the room. Avéline has to suppress a bit of shock herself. It's a flawless courtly gait, despite the uneven floors and the stiff leathers and chain she's wearing.
Avéline needn't worry about anyone looking at her. All eyes are on Graysk, and a couple jaws are on the floor.
"I am, indeed, Her Grace Mme. Graysk of these irregular militia, the Rocs of Ages. I do take pleasure in hearing of your victory over the Bullettes. Bebop and Rocksteady were his toughest pair, Msr. Delm will not be happy to hear of their defeat.

But there is talk of a purge, and time is ever diminished. Please, what is this deal you were referring to?"

In a flash, Avéline places a nagging familiarity. In her youth Md. Steelshine would take her to Concord, and she befriended a youthful elven Lady named Grelenel Ayska. Being both athletic and kind-hearted, they struck a good friendship and continued correspondence when Avé returned to Anvil. But Mme. Ayska disappeared, her estate seized by rivals in the Star Court. Shadows whispered the Prince had been involved, but no one really wanted to speak about it.
But here was Grelenel Ayska, scarred literally and figuratively. And clearly she remembered Avéline.

Avéline's Prince 6

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

"Milady." Recovering from her surprise, Avéline curtsies quickly, then gently seats herself. It seems the one-time Mme. Ayska has been hiding her past from her gang, so Avéline speaks in broad terms, addressing the other Rocs as much as their leader. "You're aware of the coming purge, so I'll be brief: we plan to relocate the displaced to Uptown, so the nobles who signed off on this attack will have to deal with the consequences y. living in their front yard. We'd like the Rocs to ensure their security. You'll be paid handsomely, of course, but I'm also empowered to offer the legitimacy that comes with being official representatives of Anvil in this matter, and possibly others, should the arrangement prove agreeable. Is there someplace more private we could discuss details?"

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

"Not only do we want the upper classes aware of the consequences of purging Rabbleward, but we want it known that this was The Emperor's plan." Clifford adds to the discussion. "The new accommodations will be taken care of, but the whole process must be done quickly, quietly and with little warning. We're trying to stay one step ahead of this plan to save some lives. The involvement of the Rocs should be kept out of the public eye, as we want the Emperor to take the ire of the nobles for causing the exodus, not your organization for facilitating it."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Myc nods, knowing to let his friends do the talking in these sorts of situations. Although he can't help but chime in a little bit near the end of Clifford's reasoning.

"Plus, it would piss off Coldfish something fierce. Ever see someone who thinks they're powerful realize they're not? There'll be stories of that tantrum for ages."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Graysk listens carefully to you. The other Rocs take after her, or at least know when to keep quiet with her. When you finish she nods.
"Alright, let's negotiate. Barkeep, we're headed back. Shell, keep an eye out."

You follow her through a back door into a dingy, cramped room failing to be an office. You notice a dwarf, beardless and with a shaved head, follow you in.

Graysk smirks.
"Don't mind him, Avé, he knows where I come from.

And I hear what you're saying. It sounds like a good deal. Bit of vengeance, good feelings, pay. But I'm not saying anything til you answer a question for me.

What the hell are you doing here? Avé, you especially, this place is ugly, the people here are desperate. Is this just about the Dwarf King? Do you really think that gold loving stunty will care? Or is this just about this loving "election""

She crosses her arms and waits.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Clifford takes Graysk's question to heart and leans forward, unconcerned about whether or not this would be taken as an aggressive manner.

"Miss Graysk, I believe in Democracy. I know it sounds a bit hackneyed, but this election is an attempt at giving the general population a voice in how this Empire works. By planning this purge, the Emperor is attempting to gain favour with the upper classes who are embarrassed with squalor in their city in their comfortable wealth, while simultaneously wiping out a bunch of people who may be rightfully unhappy with their lot in life."

His passion for the topic makes his words a bit more excitable than is required. He stems his enthusiasm before sitting back in his chair.

"Yes, we are working for the Dwarf King. Yes, we are here because of the election. But that doesn't make preventing a tragedy the wrong thing to do. We'll be saving these people and showing them that they are not powerless. They have power. The power of the vote!"

Rabble Rousing to Make Her Believe in the Heart of Democracy(CHA): 1d20+4+2+1 19

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

"Pleased to see you too, Grel." Avéline can't help but grin. Despite everything, Grelenel is still a friend, and she knows better than to let business disputes get in the way of that. "As Monsieur Marshall says, stopping a massacre is just the right thing to do. But you're correct, there's more to it than that

"You must have heard that last year the Undermarch was attacked; kobold bandits attempted to collapse the south entrance. Before the day was done, the Dwarf King had issued a proclamation saying that the criminals had been brought to justice, and anyone who further disturbed the peace by stirring up trouble would be made an example. One of the Aldermen took that as carte blanche to advance his own bigoted agenda, holding a rally announcing the deportation of monstrous humanoids from his ward..."

---

The crowd roars as Rebecca Steelshine takes the stage, leaning heavily on a walking stick. She is visibly ill, moving slowly but with purpose and direction, and as she reaches the stone podium, she smiles and waves. Guard-Captain Winston stands some distance to her left, gripping the pommel of his sword tightly.

From the wings, Avéline scans the crowd in the auditorium. Almost entirely dwarven, with a few halflings here and there. Some are holding signs: a crude picture of a kobold caught in his own cage trap, a sneering goblin with a red X over his face, and the ever-popular ANVIL FOR THE DWARVES, HAMMER FOR THE REST.

These people have no idea what's about to happen, muses Avéline.

"People of Anvil," begins Steelshine, and the roars grow louder. She gestures for silence, adjusting the voxcatcher slightly so she can be heard more clearly. "People of Anvil, my fellow citizens.

We pride ourselves on our heritage. Since before the First Age, when the first Dwarf King carved this city out of the rock and laid the foundation for the overthrow of the Wizard King, we have been a city where all are equal under the law. Where every man is given his due, and every woman the same. Where your hard work guarantees security for you and your family in this life and an eternal reward in the next.

Avéline tries to signal Alderman Harris, but he's busy chatting up a disinterested secretary. The aasimar has to tap Harris's shoulder several times, cutting off his annoyed look with a gesture. You're on, she mouths, and Harris pushes past her onto the stage.

"But there are those in this city who would challenge this heritage, those who seek to deny others the fruit of their labor. Not only do they refuse to do their own share of honest work, these cowards cannot abide the idea that others might work harder. There is no crime more heinous before Moradin than tearing down what another has built!"

The Alderman reaches Steelshine's side as the crowd applauds, but she does not acknowledge him or budge from the podium. "It is my honor to present to you a true citizen of Anvil, a man unflinching in his devotion to our King and to our city. It is my pleasure to allow you to witness him as he carries out his duty in upholding the ideals this city was founded on. The truest dwarf I know, despite being only half dwarf."

The crowd cheers again, but the elation is soon replaced with confusion. Avéline can practically hear their collective jaw drop as Steelshine sweeps her left arm out. "Our very own Guard-Captain Ogg Miller! Captain Miller, please arrest Alderman Harris."

"Gladly, ma'am." With two large steps, the half-orc reaches Harris and slams cuffs on the Alderman before he can react. "Alderman Harris, you're under arrest for violation of Royal Proclamation 386. You have the right to remain silent; anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right--"

"This is a right loada bollocks, it is! Gobby-lovin' scumsuckers!" From the front row, a highly inebriated dwarf pushes through the crowd and clambers onto the front of the stage, brandishing a knife. "Traitors, the lot of ye!" He takes a step towards Steelshine, but as he does something hurtles into the side of his head, and the man drops like a rock, out cold.

As Captain Miller ushers Lady Steelshine backstage, and two of his men drag Harris away, Avéline steps gingerly forward to retrieve her staff from the attacker's temple. Seeing all eyes on her, she coolly plucks the voxcatcher from the podium, holds it at arm's length, and drops it.

---

Her story finished, Avéline leans forward. "In this city, a scene like that would cause the Emperor an apoplectic fit. Anyone involved would have lost their title, their lands, and probably their head. But Lady Steelshine has made this Dwarf King into a man worthy of the title. She literally moved mountains to make sure he held true to the ideals Anvil was founded on. I'm here to make he stays on that path. If Lady Steelshine was still around I'd tell you to vote for her instead, but she's not. You know me, Grel, I'm literally incapable of lying. The Dwarf King is the right man to change the Empire for the better."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Myc's eyes blink asynchronously during Aveline's speech, keeping a few focused on his monk companion and a few focused on the elven gang leader. While she talks, one of his hands begins to reek of decay and flesh until a finger falls off and to the ground. A new stub of a finger starts to grow in its place, while the old one quickly withers and fades away into a multitude of black spores that float off into a cloud of nothing in seconds.

"The Dwarf King isn't one to judge people by their status or upbringing. It don't matter if you grew up in a slum where the strong ate the weak every day and the only way to survive was to become as ruthless as the predators of your hood, or if you're from some noble house of fancy talkin' and have been trained in the matters of combat and talkin' and poo poo. You always get a fair shake in his eyes."

Myc, almost losing himself to introspection continues only for a bit longer before succumbing to his own thoughts.

"You ask if our plan is to either help the small folk or win the election, I'd say he's the candidate who needs to do both."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Graysk lifts an eyebrow as you say your piece, but finally she chuckles and puts an arm on Avéline's shoulder.
"You know, despite everything else, Steelshine raised you right.

Can't say the I'm going to be all in for the Dwarf King just yet. Guess we'll see how he does things in the future. But for right now, I'm with you. Frond, go get the Rocs ready."

The shaved dwarf nods and exits the room. Graysk pulls out a crude looking map of Rabbleward and begins pointing things out.

"So we're headed to Uptown, eh? The Legion will be managing the burn, making sure it doesn't get too high and threaten the posh places. Means that they ought to leave us alone while we start moving people there.
But the Bullettes will be keeping a close eye on me and mine, and they have even less qualms about roughing up some innocents if they're getting uppity. We'll probably have enough trouble herding all these folks, so we'll probably need you burly folks to intervene if anything ugly breaks out."

Look about right? Anything to add?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

"Don't worry about trouble breaking out. I'm used to people being resistant to change. In fact, I sometimes rely on it." Clifford steels himself for what may be a tough battle ahead. The Rocs' aid, however, may be the key to having this plan succeed.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Graysk nods, sheathes her swords, and opens the door.
"Alright. Mme. Lyon, we shall talk later, I hope. As for the rest of you, see you on the other side."

---

Its barely contained chaos, like herding flighty cattle that might stab you out of desperation. But the Rocs and, you breathe a sigh of relief, Sudd and a number of half-orcs have taken charge. People are nervous. They've done this before, but never decided to go uptown. There's an energy in the air, like everything is brittle and the world might crack at the slightest touch.

But you've done what you can. Clifford rushes uptown, where a number of dwarves in workman's clothes have already started making a town. Clifford pauses. They appear to have brought a stoneshaper with them.
The foreman nods at his direction.
"Aye, what's the old saying? Cheap, quick, good, pick two. Well, you need it fast, and we will not forget good, so I'm sure you can do the math here."
The dwarf waggles his eyebrows at you. Behind him a two story flat rises out of a pile of bricks and gravel.
"Hope you've got a plan though. Don't exactly have a permit here."

Before you can answer, one of the Rocs comes running. Looks like the Bullettes made their move, and you soon make your way to Pound Street, the main connection between Rabbleward and Uptown.

---

You rush there, as evening comes in, to see the red glow of fire over the rickety wooden buildings of Rabbleward. But in the street, your evacuation has stopped in its tracks. Delm is there, longsword over his shoulder, and backed up by more of his gang.
"You scags seem to have gotten lost!" he shouts. The innocents cower as the others finger their weapons.
"See, I've been deputized! Emperor's heard there's a separatist movement brewing down here. A bunch of disgusting rabble rousers! Can't appreciate how much the Empire's done for you!
Well, we're here to fight, for the good of the Dragon Empire. And all of you's, well, if you don't want to get caught up in it, I suggest you take a trip out of the city."

Here he sees you approaching. All eyes are on you, and embers begin to drift down from the sky.
"You again, well I think we caught ourselves some ringleaders. Tch, you assholes, come barging in here. You even spent two days living in this shithole? No one here deserves your bright eyed good feelings. Time you realized, out here, only way up is stepping on heads."

Everyone draws weapons. This is no rumble, its deadly serious. But you've got a lot of people to protect. An ember catches an oil rag alight, and you can feel a dull heat from the burning parts of the city. Its time to defend your ideals!

Alright, roll initiative! You can take your turn if you roll greater than or equal to 17
Civilians will escape in 4 rounds.

pre:
Delm		AC16 PD14 MD12	55/55 HP
Firestarter	AC16 PD11 MD15	30/30 HP
Scum (Red)	AC16 PD14 MD11	15/15 HP (5)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Initiative (+3): 1d20+3 9
Spend Recovery (1d10+2): 1d10+2 5

Myc draws his claymore and stares Delm and all of his crew in the eyes simultaneously, his massive frame towering over all of them.

"You're gonna have to step on me if you want your next promotion, then."

pre:
Killer Myc
Stats			Recharge | Daily
HP 30/30 (00)           [ ] Spores of Decay
AC 20			[ ]|[ ] [ ] [ ] Smite the Living
PD 13			[X][ ]Lay on Hands
MD 12		        [ ] Bastion
Recoveries 6/8 (1d10+2)
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d10+4
Is it possible for me to have spent a recovery to heal between last battle and this one? I forgot to ask.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 11, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

"I'd ask if you believe that line of excrement you're spouting, but clearly you don't believe in anything. I almost pity you." She readies her staff once more. "C'est la vie. Where there are weak people trying to survive, there are bullies like you to stomp on them. Not today."

Initiative: 1d20+5 14

pre:

Melee Attack 1d20+4+1

Powers
[ ] Halo (1/battle)

Ki Powers

Consumables
none

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

"Oh, man. The Emperor is going to have one hell of a time spinning this story to his favour. Hiring gangs to prevent voters from having their voice heard. Sounds like he doesn't like democracy to me." Clifford pulls out his flail. "This is one hell of a gaffe, the town criers are going to have a field day with this."

Initiative: 1d20+3 18
Moment of Glory: 1d4 4

Oh, I guess I go. Great.

Eager to end this battle with as few civilian casualties as possible, Clifford attempts to run by Delm to the thugs in the back, in order to stop the man lighting the fires as soon as possible. "Myc, take care of Delm. But don't mess him up too much, we want him disgraced, not martyred." Clifford says to his companion before running past the big guy to the thugs behind him. Unfortunately, the thug sees it coming and only suffers a glancing blow.

Melee Basic Attack on top Scum (d20+str+lvl+ed): 1d20+4+1 12 1d10+4 7

That's 1 miss damage on the mook. Alright, time for Clifford to absorb some more hits.

pre:
Clifford Marshall
Stats			Once Per Battle
HP 18/27 (00)		  [ ]Moment of Glory
PD 13			Recharge
MD 13		          [ ]BTS (11+)	
Recoveries 5/8 (1d8+2)	Command Points: 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Clifford turns around to see Dem striding towards him.
"Pffff, don't mess me up? You got one hecuva optimistic streak. And yeah, I know what your fungus freak can do."
Suddenly, the gang leader spins, and a net goes flying towards Avéline and Killer Myc! They're both caught in the spiked net, but while Avé is able to fight free of most of it, Killer Myc finds himself utterly trapped and unable to move his feet, caught as they are in the spiked ropes!

Delm engages with Cliifford
Uses Net attack! targets Myc and Avé
Crit! vs Killer Myc! 23 vs AC hits Avé
Avé takes 3 damage and is dazed until the end of Delm's next turn. Myc takes 6 damage, and is dazed and stuck until the end of Delm's next turn!

Delm smirks and motions to the rest of his gang.
"But you guys, I can deal with later. OY! Show these scum suckers who's the boss is around here!"
His minions go barreling past you, at the people migrating to Uptown! Clifford tries to stop one, but Delm interposes his sword with a smug *tch*, and while Avéline tries her best despite still being stuck in a net, but she's only one woman. At least she has the presence of mind to dodge the rusty dagger sent her way.

Scum mooks rush the civilians! Avéline intercepts one, one gets through, last one... succeeds at disengage on a 13, attacks civilians.
One attack against Avé, 8 vs AC misses.
Other 2 assault civilians, they are panicking!

But Delm's thugs go barreling into the line, kicking and slicing with their weapons. Screams ring out as people begin to scatter everywhere. And with the heat of the fires getting warmer, you have to do something quick!

Aveline and Myc are up! Escalation is at 0
Civilians can't escape!

pre:
Delm		AC16 PD14 MD12	55/55 HP
Firestarter	AC16 PD11 MD15	30/30 HP
Scum (Red)	AC16 PD14 MD11	14/15 HP (5)

• Locked thread