Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Social autism (freebie): -50.

In referendum news, I'm surprised this hasn't been capitalised on as much as possible:

https://twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/735921383528529920

That's UKIP's home affairs spokeswoman saying that she doesn't know what a post-Brexit visa policy would look like.

It's like the Lib Dems' constitutional affairs spokesperson saying that they don't know what Parliament under proportional representation would look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Metrication posted:

i wonder what happens if the result of the referendum is a very close vote for leave, eg 51 v 49. will cameron attempt to engineer remaining (we will go back to the negotiating table for a better deal)? it would certainly be the end of him but it's not a clear mandate to go. and similarly if it was the reverse then you can probably guarantee another referendum in the near future (and the total implosion of the tories)

I think a leave result will prompt spin that the British Public have said no to 'the current arrangements', a round of hasty re-negotiations with the EU, and a second referendum within six months.

I think a close stay result will leave Brexit Tories feeling vindicated in continuing to whine about the EU, but no imminent second referendum on the horizon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Metrication posted:

i wonder what happens if the result of the referendum is a very close vote for leave, eg 51 v 49. will cameron attempt to engineer remaining (we will go back to the negotiating table for a better deal)? it would certainly be the end of him but it's not a clear mandate to go. and similarly if it was the reverse then you can probably guarantee another referendum in the near future (and the total implosion of the tories)

this is basically what I would love to see

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Being white +10 points.

Yeah there would be points awarded based on "Cultural fit" or something weaselly.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I think its reasonably likely Remain wins by a decent margin but its also very possible we get a Scots Referendum type scenario where its actually very close, though not close enough to be neck-and-neck so the euroskeptics on the right are galvanized.

It would be pretty amusing to see Nige doing an SNP and floating a second referendum constantly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

nopantsjack posted:

I think its reasonably likely Remain wins by a decent margin but its also very possible we get a Scots Referendum type scenario where its actually very close,

The Scottish Referendum result wasn't close, let alone very close.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Given that both results are kinda bad, I'll probably just vote for whatever is losing to make it a closer run thing: more divisive in the Tory party that way.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

It was too close to put an end to the matter, if it had been 30/70 or something that would have been a lot better.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

I'm pretty sure being Catholic doesn't mean you support child abuse any more than being a Muslim means you support Isis.

That's an interesting point, I would say they're slightly (massively) different in that ISIS does not represent the mainstream of either Sunni or Shia hierarchy, whereas the cover up of child abuse and protection of abusers was, in dozens of countries, perpetuated by the hierarchy and institutional organisation of the Catholic church, up to and including the Pope.

It's like supporting UKIP, sure you can support UKIP and not be a racist, but if you support UKIP you are totally supporting racism even if you're not racist yourself.

Guavanaut posted:

JFairfax confirmed to not stand for are national anthem.

totally, I never sing it either. It's kind of a silly anthem if you don't believe in God, or really support the institution of the monarchy, and feel that patriotism / nationalism is a scourge.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 1, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nothing to seehere posted:

Given that both results are kinda bad, I'll probably just vote for whatever is losing to make it a closer run thing: more divisive in the Tory party that way.

Remain winning is worse for the Tory party either way, and Brexit isn't just "kinda bad".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does that mean that if you're a practicing Muslim you're a misogynist? Because the power structures of most forms of Islam that do have a hierarchy, and the social structures of those that don't, are often very backward in terms of gender roles, and yet Islamic feminism is a thing. But a marginalized thing like pro-LGBT Catholics.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

Does that mean that if you're a practicing Muslim you're a misogynist? Because the power structures of most forms of Islam that do have a hierarchy, and the social structures of those that don't, are often very backward in terms of gender roles, and yet Islamic feminism is a thing. But a marginalized thing like pro-LGBT Catholics.

I mean it depends, but odds are you are, I mean if you were to bet on it.

This is the problem with a lot of these religions, they are pretty awful when it comes to gender roles, homosexuality etc.

I always like to joke that the right wing Christians who hate Islam and Muslims are missing a trick because they have much more in common than they realise, like hating women and gays.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's a great joke I'm not surprised you use it often.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems a journalist from Liberation (the French centre-left paper) is asking us to Leave so that other countries have a better chance to renegotiate the EU towards a more democratic and humanitarian mission:

https://twitter.com/Berlaymonster/status/737931627775569920

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

That's a great joke I'm not surprised you use it often.

it's funny because its true

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

On a related note, I do love the power that Islam has to turn (non-Muslim) feminists into fascists and fascists into feminists. :v:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't think that organised Judeo-Christian religion, of which Islam is an offshoot, is a massive part of the Patriarchy / Kyriarchy then I don't know what to tell you.

I mean organised religion has been like the biggest driver for a hetero-normative masculine focused world.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

On a related note, I do love the power that Islam has to turn (non-Muslim) feminists into fascists and fascists into feminists. :v:

lol like when Europol decided rape culture was very, very real in wake of the New Year gropes but then decided it was bullshit once it was revealed that all but three of the people weren't Syrian and the ones who were were born in Europe to Syrian parents.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Joy Division is making a come back?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
31 years ago today the 'Battle' of the Beanfield happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHyDaAXw8Ck

http://hubpages.com/politics/The-Battle-of-the-Beanfield

ACAB

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RIP rave culture. I am sad I was too young to go to some of these awesome raves pre-Beanfield

e/

wait, this is a lot earlier than I thought it happened, I always thought this was the early 1990s.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 1, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

JFairfax posted:

RIP rave culture. I am sad I was too young to go to some of these awesome raves pre-Beanfield

e/

wait, this is a lot earlier than I thought it happened, I always thought this was the early 1990s.

It predated raves by some time. This was the era of the Peace Convoy, mid/late 70s to mid 80s.I lived close to Stonehenge at the time and saw a lot of the travellers.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 1, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tesseraction posted:

Seems a journalist from Liberation (the French centre-left paper) is asking us to Leave so that other countries have a better chance to renegotiate the EU towards a more democratic and humanitarian mission
Quatremer is deliciously bitter about basically everything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Quatremer is deliciously bitter about basically everything.

Being fair, he's part of a paper started by Satre and it got bought out by the Rothschild family. Yes, that Rothschild family.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Serotonin posted:

It predated raves by some time. This was the era of the Peace Convoy, mid/late 70s to mid 80s.I lived close to Stonehenge at the time and saw a lot of the travellers.

yeah, I am not sure what I am thinking of. I have a feeling it's related to the fact that the court cases for the battle of the bean field dragged on into the early 1990s and I am in my memory thinking that the bean field happened around the introduction of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act of 1994.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Baron Corbyn posted:

Apparently someone is leaking Corbyn's PMQs to Cameron before he answers them. So Cameron's complete non-answers and unrelated personal attacks are with time to prepare for them.

I was under the impression they are always submitted in advance, allowing Dave to have his Big Book of facts open to the right page so he can quack unrelated stats and say 'under the previous Labour government', and to stop people who say they want to ask if the PM agrees the kittens are adorable actually asking why he hosed a dead pig on live tv.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TinTower posted:

In referendum news, I'm surprised this hasn't been capitalised on as much as possible:

https://twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/735921383528529920

That's UKIP's home affairs spokeswoman saying that she doesn't know what a post-Brexit visa policy would look like.

It's like the Lib Dems' constitutional affairs spokesperson saying that they don't know what Parliament under proportional representation would look like.

Yeah but, that's basically been the case for Leave this whole time - Grate Britane, We'll Work It Out Later. None of them have even pretended to have a plan for the transition or even an understanding of the consequences, and it doesn't seem to be hurting them. The fact it's a kipper who doesn't have a clue here isn't exactly adding an element of :wow:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

JFairfax posted:

yeah, I am not sure what I am thinking of. I have a feeling it's related to the fact that the court cases for the battle of the bean field dragged on into the early 1990s and I am in my memory thinking that the bean field happened around the introduction of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act of 1994.

They did limp on, and i think it wasnt till early 90s that many got some small form of compensation. It certainly paved the way for the CJA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The problem with the Peace Convoy types is that they're full of pacifists. That isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, it just makes them easy targets.

Which is why in order for a pacifist movement like that to not lose completely, although they will probably still get a kicking now and again, they need an unaffiliated co-movement that explicitly isn't.
MLK would have got nowhere without Malcolm X and the Deacons for Defense making him look like the preferable option. Gandhi would have been more of a footnote if it wasn't for Bose to provide firepower where needed.

Nobody wants to be in the latter group though, because they get singled out as the bad ones in comparison to our newly reasonable pacifist friends.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

55-45 is a close result, in a Yes or No question, getting 55% of the vote is not a dominating win, nobody is arguing its not a majority however.

Roughly a third of the entire population (including babies and people who cant vote) of Scotland voted to leave the UK, I will be surprised if the EU vote is as close.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Jeremy Corbyn: The Outsider is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ptAcbfKP0

What do people think?

Politics-wise, it's unlikely to convert anyone who isn't already onboard with Corbyn's policies - however it shows him as a normal functioning human being when interacting with the great unwashed, and its a good showcase of his laidback approachable image, if nothing else.

It wasn't afraid to be critical of some of his decisions, and events in the news (not pressing more into the horrific budget gently caress-up and IDS's resignation, and Livingstone and anti-semitism.). But there's no real revelations from the documentary, other than perhaps someone leaking the PMQs early.

Style-wise, it's a reflection of how accurate The Thick of It is; lots of nervous looking PR people shuffling papers in white-washed conference rooms. And general milling about.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Trickjaw posted:

I was under the impression they are always submitted in advance

Wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah. As I recall a set few questions are provided in advance, and the rest are allowed to be off the cuff, primarily because if they're all scripted then the Prime Minister could say something and no-one would be able to respond to it. Effectively making it Prime Minister's recital.

I believe Corbyn is not required to provide any questions in advance, but I think sometimes the leader of the opp will provide the first one in order to not get a "bluh dunno!!1!!" answer.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Anyone seen this, is it new?

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/05/31/whistleblower-exposes-major-new-allegation-tory-election-fraud-scandal-exclusive/

"A whistleblower who worked for a telephone research agency hired by the Conservative party in the run-up to the 2015 general election has made several serious allegations. They have told The Canary they were instructed to deny links to the Conservatives when conducting telephone surveys of voters. They have said the questions they were instructed to ask were misleading, pushing answers in favour of the Conservative party. And, while the calls they made targeted voters in specific, marginal constituencies, The Canary has found evidence that the expenses were declared as national party spending – and some do not appear to have been declared at all."

Could be the shout in the arm this one needs. Although more Tories in turmoil right now isn't necessarily good for our constitutional future.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

nopantsjack posted:

55-45 is a close result, in a Yes or No question, getting 55% of the vote is not a dominating win, nobody is arguing its not a majority however.

Roughly a third of the entire population (including babies and people who cant vote) of Scotland voted to leave the UK, I will be surprised if the EU vote is as close.

I reckon the EU vote will be decided within a margin smaller than that of the IndyRef.

I'm going to take a reckon at 53-47 in favour of leave.

:negative:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Politics-wise, it's unlikely to convert anyone who isn't already onboard with Corbyn's policies - however it shows him as a normal functioning human being when interacting with the great unwashed, and its a good showcase of his laidback approachable image, if nothing else.

It wasn't afraid to be critical of some of his decisions, and events in the news (not pressing more into the horrific budget gently caress-up and IDS's resignation, and Livingstone and anti-semitism.). But there's no real revelations from the documentary, other than perhaps someone leaking the PMQs early.

Style-wise, it's a reflection of how accurate The Thick of It is; lots of nervous looking PR people shuffling papers in white-washed conference rooms. And general milling about.

I sort of feel like the IDS resignation was a no-go area because nobody really knew what to make of it - it was impossible that it was a genuine matter of conscience (and nobody wanted to help with that loathsome little fucker's political rehabilitation), and nobody knew his real motive. As a result, it was just too hard to figure out an angle of attack on.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

quote:

Critics claimed that the 1984 festival had resulted in the destruction of archaeological information and on the site itself, "holes had been dug in Bronze Age barrows for latrines and as bread ovens, motorcycles had been ridden over them, churning the surface. Fences had been torn down, and a thousand young trees cut down for firewood".[9] The clean-up cost upwards of £20,000, besides the archaeological information that was lost.[9] Landowners also claimed that damage to Stonehenge, other property damage, trespassing, recreational drug use and bathing naked in rivers had occurred during the festival.[3]

A civil high court injunction was consequently imposed prohibiting the proposed 1985 festival from taking place.[3]

I don't care about the landowners' hurt feelings, but loving up an archeological site is not cool. :(

In other news, my Brexit Insurance Strategy is underway and I've just applied for Irish citizenship. Being unable to freely live and work wherever in the EU would seriously suck. :(

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

it's brand new info yeah, plus another tory attempt to block an investigation into the spending (this time in thanet) has been rejected, giving another police force a year to investigate

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Nobody wants to be in the latter group though, because they get singled out as the bad ones in comparison to our newly reasonable pacifist friends.

And, y'know, imprisoned/shot a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zalakwe posted:

Anyone seen this, is it new?

Phoon posted:

it's brand new info yeah, plus another tory attempt to block an investigation into the spending (this time in thanet) has been rejected, giving another police force a year to investigate

I'd posted about it on the last page. :colbert:

But yes, I'm cautiously optimistic, as was Martin Kettle about the media silence - he points out that while the police are collecting evidence the papers et al are keeping quiet so as not to gently caress up the scandal of our generation (imagine 30 by-elections, all in marginals, over expenses corruption).

• Locked thread