Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

And, y'know, imprisoned/shot a whole lot.
Yeah, but if the latter group doesn't exist, that just happens to the former group instead, who don't even get the luxury of being able to strike back now and again.

e: 4 - A number unpopular in parts of the Far East and Guildford.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

it's hard to see how these expenses investigations don't result in some kind of prosecution, since we know the rules were broken, the tories are just claiming it was an accident

presumably at some point the tories will try to use the commons to change the rules retroactively??

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

So Mark Rutte has said that EU would be forced to retaliate with a point system of its own. Not unexpected, but I wonder how many people would be screwed over exactly.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Darth Walrus posted:

I sort of feel like the IDS resignation was a no-go area because nobody really knew what to make of it - it was impossible that it was a genuine matter of conscience (and nobody wanted to help with that loathsome little fucker's political rehabilitation), and nobody knew his real motive. As a result, it was just too hard to figure out an angle of attack on.

For the media perhaps, but Labour should have just treated IDS's supposed morality with scorn while simultaneously harping on that the measures were too harsh even for him. Then reveal their own plan filled with nice new ideas gleaned from the cadre of interesting modern leftists they recruited then sidelined.
They could just go "look at how poo poo they're doing, heres our good policy" almost indefinitely with every new Tory scandal.

Unfortunately Labour is riven with intersectional conflict that Corbyn seems to be trying to half ignore while also getting endlessly distracted by it. Corbyn & Co and the PLP share an equal portion of the blame for this, although the PLP did fire the first shots (Unless you consider winning the leadership a shot).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

They did limp on, and i think it wasnt till early 90s that many got some small form of compensation. It certainly paved the way for the CJA

I have a vague recollection that that at least part of the reason for CJA was the court cases around the Peace Convoy (and some of the miners strike cases) concluding that no, the police can't just say "You lot are all getting nicked" and kicking the poo poo out of everyone, which was obviously seriously cramping their style, so they wrote off to Santa and asked for a new Riot Act.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

So Mark Rutte has said that EU would be forced to retaliate with a point system of its own. Not unexpected, but I wonder how many people would be screwed over exactly.

Just like they did in Eurovision '03 :argh:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Prince John posted:

I don't care about the landowners' hurt feelings, but loving up an archeological site is not cool. :(

Police and landowners also claimed the travellers had firearms and petrol bombs, so personaly Id take what was said by them with a pinch of salt

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

I'm hopeful that the recently reported swing towards leave is enough of a catalyst to actually provoke a large turnout on the day for remain

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Serotonin posted:

Police and landowners also claimed the travellers had firearms and petrol bombs, so personaly Id take what was said by them with a pinch of salt

Wikipedia references the academic journal World Archeology for these particular allegations though, so I'm assuming they're bang to rights on this, although I don't have my login details to hand at work to check the article in detail.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/124661

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 1, 2016

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Tesseraction posted:

I'd posted about it on the last page. :colbert:

But yes, I'm cautiously optimistic, as was Martin Kettle about the media silence - he points out that while the police are collecting evidence the papers et al are keeping quiet so as not to gently caress up the scandal of our generation (imagine 30 by-elections, all in marginals, over expenses corruption).

Apologies, new thread moving quite quickly and I’m quite lazy.

Re. the papers I suspect it’s all getting a bit real for them and they are considering their legals. The Brexit bunch could use this to hurt Cameron and my instinct is that if they can they will, even if they benefitted it is still Cameron’s ship.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VileLL posted:

I'm hopeful that the recently reported swing towards leave is enough of a catalyst to actually provoke a large turnout on the day for remain

It's what sparked the three party leaders (lol remember when there were three in England) to take a trip together. Forever dooming Labour to "those assholes" in the eyes of the Skawts.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah. As I recall a set few questions are provided in advance, and the rest are allowed to be off the cuff, primarily because if they're all scripted then the Prime Minister could say something and no-one would be able to respond to it. Effectively making it Prime Minister's recital.

I believe Corbyn is not required to provide any questions in advance, but I think sometimes the leader of the opp will provide the first one in order to not get a "bluh dunno!!1!!" answer.

Technically all the questions (I think apart from those from opposition leaders) are submitted in advance, it's just that they're all "Will the Prime Minister list his official engagements for the day", which is always the first question asked. This is because when your question's already been asked you're allowed a follow up question on the same subject which, because of the open nature of the initial question, can be about pretty much anything.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

It's what sparked the three party leaders (lol remember when there were three in England) to take a trip together. Forever dooming Labour to "those assholes" in the eyes of the Skawts.

I wish they had filmed that trip like The Trip. That would be fun.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Darth Walrus posted:

I sort of feel like the IDS resignation was a no-go area because nobody really knew what to make of it - it was impossible that it was a genuine matter of conscience (and nobody wanted to help with that loathsome little fucker's political rehabilitation), and nobody knew his real motive. As a result, it was just too hard to figure out an angle of attack on.

I guess... I dunno, I still feel they missed an opportunity somewhere to press home the advantage - although, I guess it would have been too easy to turn the "divided party" argument back onto labour.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zalakwe posted:

Apologies, new thread moving quite quickly and I’m quite lazy.

Re. the papers I suspect it’s all getting a bit real for them and they are considering their legals. The Brexit bunch could use this to hurt Cameron and my instinct is that if they can they will, even if they benefitted it is still Cameron’s ship.

Actually given my MP is most likely one of the cheating fuckers and is heavily Brexit I have a feeling they'll have a gentleman's agreement with Remain to keep this one under wraps.

Labour's Remain would be best placed to call them out on it. Or Tim... Ti... Tim... uhhhh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Technically all the questions (I think apart from those from opposition leaders) are submitted in advance, it's just that they're all "Will the Prime Minister list his official engagements for the day", which is always the first question asked. This is because when your question's already been asked you're allowed a follow up question on the same subject which, because of the open nature of the initial question, can be about pretty much anything.

I believe this is only true for the first 10 questions, however. The rest are submitted to the speaker in advance, but not the prime minister.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Party Boat posted:

poo poo like this is why freemen-on-the-land exist, because even though a court might not, the prime and sovereign body of the legislature still runs on magic language gotcha rules.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh yeah there's also the speaker-selected ones which I don't think are prepped or chosen at all, they just bob up and down until they catch his eye. gently caress our parliament's dumb.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'm surprised there's no talk of the Vice documentary in here:

https://news.vice.com/video/jeremy-corbyn-the-outsider

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm surprised there's no talk of the Vice documentary in here:

https://news.vice.com/video/jeremy-corbyn-the-outsider

Go back a page or two.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Only Jewish potential candidate for Labour NEC has been blocked from standing because Jim Murphy called her an anti-Semite.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ on a stick.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Labour right have just decided that if they don't get to run the Labour Party then no-one does, and they're just going to sabotage the party from here on out.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's the nakedness with which they use concern trolling. That's where the Labour right truly shine.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm pretty sure the Labour right have just decided that if they don't get to run the Labour Party then no-one does, and they're just going to sabotage the party from here on out.

Tony Blair openly said it would be better for Labour to lose with his wing in charge than win with Corbyn in charge and given rumours of questions being leaked to David Cameron from Labour insiders I'm betting he's not the only one.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Prince John posted:

Wikipedia references the academic journal World Archeology for these particular allegations though, so I'm assuming they're bang to rights on this, although I don't have my login details to hand at work to check the article in detail.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/124661

They pissed on coppers and stole from the dead

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's the nakedness with which they use concern trolling. That's where the Labour right truly shine.

Quite. Labour Students have spent the past year openly marginalising Muslim students – including members of their own party – but are suddenly a massive anti-racism vanguard now that a Muslim woman who said some (admittedly badly-worded) things about Israeli foreign policy is now NUS president.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'm not sure which element of that story is more ridiculous, the idea that a former president of the Oxford University Jewish Society and preferred candidate of the Jewish Labour Movement is somehow a vicious antisemite, or the fact that Jim Murphy is still relevant other than as a warning to others.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Serotonin posted:

They pissed on coppers and stole from the dead

That's not a valid comparison though. These events happened a year before and were the cause of the original injunction that kicked off the battle the following year. There isn't the same fact pattern of confrontation with police leading to an establishment coverup, because the confrontation hadn't happened yet.

Also there's a difference between an academic journal and anonymous sources in the Sun. (I will have to dig out my jstor login now to make sure it's a sensible article).

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Apparently someone is leaking Corbyn's PMQs to Cameron before he answers them. So Cameron's complete non-answers and unrelated personal attacks are with time to prepare for them.

Strictly speaking though the video tells us that Seamus Milne believes they are being leaked in advance, which could just reflect paranoia on his part. I mean, how much advance notice does Cameron need to prepare an answer of "never mind that, what about Ken Livingstone?"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I look forward to Dan Hodges, John Mann and Nick Cohen all comment on this. They've been so quick to leap on anti-Semitism before. Surely they will attack Jim Murphy for his naked attempts to keep a Jewish woman from office.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paxman posted:

Strictly speaking though the video tells us that Seamus Milne believes they are being leaked in advance, which could just reflect paranoia on his part. I mean, how much advance notice does Cameron need to prepare an answer of "never mind that, what about Ken Livingstone?"
At least two focus groups.

They've already got round to 'Jews are the real anti-Semites' remarkably quickly. Only a couple of steps away from 'Hitler and the Zionists had the same idea' but this time from the Labour right.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Apparently someone is leaking Corbyn's PMQs to Cameron before he answers them. So Cameron's complete non-answers and unrelated personal attacks are with time to prepare for them.

Everyone take guess on who it is.

Pissflaps posted:

The Scottish Referendum result wasn't close, let alone very close.

It was literally 5% away from being 50/50. How the gently caress can you be in denial over that.

The same man that wanted to reintroduce alcohol in football matches and preety much helped destroyed Scottish Labour even further.

Man should of been hit by a brick instead of an egg.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

It was literally 5% away from being 50/50. How the gently caress can you be in denial over that.

But it wasn't. Yes lost by 10%. That's not close.

If you want close, look to the last Quebec independence referendum result. That was close.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Pissflaps is right, 55-45 is not generally regarded as a close election result.

The 2008 American election, for example, was regarded as "decisive" and was 53-46.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Extreme0 posted:

Everyone take guess on who it is.

Corbyn. :ohdear:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It is him but on a critical PMQS he'll send over a fake set of questions and make David look completely insane as he gets flustered and spouts more irrelevant nonsense than usual.

June 22nd maybe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Please let this be true.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The 2008 American election, for example, was regarded as "decisive" and was 53-46.

It was decisive because the result was 68% - 32%.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

But it wasn't. Yes lost by 10%. That's not close.

44.7% to 50.1% to win is 5.4%, If Yes lost by 10% that would mean the vote total for Yes is 39.7%

If you keep the actual Yes Vote result at 44.7% while saying they lost by 10% that means they would of had to reach 10.9% which would put the amount of votes for Yes at 55% and No Vote as 45% to win it which isn't part of the condition otherwise you would have the total votes be 105% for the current voting results if Yes lost by 10% which isn't mathimatically possible in a referendum.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's decisive because it actually has one side having more then the other.

Decisive and Close are not both the same thing.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kaislioc posted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-camerons-former-advisor-admits-8088612

Judge says that the word indecent has no real meaning and is entirely subjective based on what people reckon society as a whole might think about it. Defence responds by arguing that British society are basically a bunch of pedos anyway so.

Cross-posting from the Paedogeddon thread because I am loving dying to see how the Daily Mail/The Sun cover this. :allears:

mail straight up calls the pics indecent, will probably post an op-ed about the increasing sexualisation of the young

• Locked thread