Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Extreme0 posted:

Everyone take guess on who it is.

Anyone on the Labour right. Maybe even all of them;

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm pretty sure the Labour right have just decided that if they don't get to run the Labour Party then no-one does, and they're just going to sabotage the party from here on out.

e: 5 is the % of tory child abusers will actually get punished for it, and that's being optimistic.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Extreme0 posted:

Everyone take guess on who it is.

GCHQ

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pissflaps is right, 55-45 is not generally regarded as a close election result.

The 2008 American election, for example, was regarded as "decisive" and was 53-46.

Syriza's referendum was 60-40 and was regarded as 'close'. It all depends on the vote in question's relation to the status quo narrative.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Coohoolin posted:

Syriza's referendum was 60-40 and was regarded as 'close'. It all depends on the vote in question's relation to the status quo narrative.

Pretty much, also whether the winner is said to have a mandate from the public or just happened to get more votes than anyone else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Well the status quo narrative is Remain. It has the backing of the Prime Minister, the Chancellor, and the largest capitalist trading bloc that the world has ever seen. And it actually is the current state things are.

That doesn't necessarily mean that challenging the status quo is the best option right here though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think remain will win on the basis of people actually going to vote and realising they're rather the status quo

that or people really hate immigrants

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

Well the status quo narrative is Remain. It has the backing of the Prime Minister, the Chancellor, and the largest capitalist trading bloc that the world has ever seen. And it actually is the current state things are.

That doesn't necessarily mean that challenging the status quo is the best option right here though.

"Narratives" are the result of social, political, and civic institutions, not just political and economic ones. You could effectively argue that the main narrative is pro-Leave because bashing the EU as a source of benefit and job stealing migrants has been so heavily pushed the past few years that it's now firmly established, regardless of what Cameron, Osbourne and the EU say.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

44.7% to 50.1% to win is 5.4%, If Yes lost by 10% that would mean the vote total for Yes is 39.7%

If you keep the actual Yes Vote result at 44.7% while saying they lost by 10% that means they would of had to reach 10.9% which would put the amount of votes for Yes at 55% and No Vote as 45% to win it which isn't part of the condition otherwise you would have the total votes be 105% for the current voting results if Yes lost by 10% which isn't mathimatically possible in a referendum..

The difference between 45 and 55 is 10.

I haven't the foggiest what you're talking about in this post.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Syriza's referendum was 60-40 and was regarded as 'close'.

By who? I think you've made this up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd say anything from 50% to 65% is a marginal win.

In the real world. Not politics land.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Extreme0 posted:

44.7% to 50.1% to win is 5.4%, If Yes lost by 10% that would mean the vote total for Yes is 39.7%

If you keep the actual Yes Vote result at 44.7% while saying they lost by 10% that means they would of had to reach 10.9% which would put the amount of votes for Yes at 55% and No Vote as 45% to win it which isn't part of the condition otherwise you would have the total votes be 105% for the current voting results if Yes lost by 10% which isn't mathimatically possible in a referendum.

This is not how people measure points gaps in politics.

Extreme0 posted:

It's decisive because it actually has one side having more then the other.

Decisive and Close are not both the same thing.

For one thing, people don't use "decisive" to mean "a decision was reached". For another thing, I was suggesting they were antonyms whereas you're implying I was suggesting they were synonyms.

In summation, you are doing a poo poo impression of Pissflaps being obtusely pendantic and I claim my five poonds.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The problem with the Peace Convoy types is that they're full of pacifists. That isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, it just makes them easy targets.

Which is why in order for a pacifist movement like that to not lose completely, although they will probably still get a kicking now and again, they need an unaffiliated co-movement that explicitly isn't.
MLK would have got nowhere without Malcolm X and the Deacons for Defense making him look like the preferable option. Gandhi would have been more of a footnote if it wasn't for Bose to provide firepower where needed.

Nobody wants to be in the latter group though, because they get singled out as the bad ones in comparison to our newly reasonable pacifist friends.

Yeah, but not really. The "Peace Convoy" was just as much a piece of misinformation theatre created to give the press something to talk about and focus attention on the Stonehenge Campaign's objectives as it was a genuine movement. It was never really highly organised. iirc the 'Peace Convoy' name was coined by a group heading to Greenham but I may be misrecalling.
When I joined a Stonehenge camp during the worlds largest game of Cowboys and Indians in 1987 one of the first things that happened (immediately after being told not to set up a tent since we were getting evicted in a few hours) was a small group of women and a young boy coming over and saying, "This is Starshine, remember to tell the media we are Starshine's Convoy. But really his name is Tim *wink*" Discalimer: real name may not have been Tim, it was a while ago, but you get the point.
The convoy was also known as the "Gun Convoy" and could certainly have accessed guns if wanted. Not to mention many traveller sites would have the odd one for rabbiting and so forth anyway.
One of my good friends, now sadly deceased, was one of the Convoy Crazies an (even more) underground group that would scope out potential sites/squats and steal the occasional vehicle and who had no problems with beating up people/police if it came to it. He was also involved peripherally in what I'm gonna call the 'forced retirement' of a particularly nasty piece of work copper in '84. The festival had never been just a 'Peace and Love' "Hippy" thing, punks, bikers and angry disaffected/disenfranchised youth escaping the urban shite that was 80s unemployment were always a large part of it.

Prince John posted:

I don't care about the landowners' hurt feelings, but loving up an archeological site is not cool. :(

Prince John posted:

Wikipedia references the academic journal World Archeology for these particular allegations though, so I'm assuming they're bang to rights on this, although I don't have my login details to hand at work to check the article in detail.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/124661

The article is okay, Chippindale tends to be pretty good. The relevant quote from it is:

C. Chippindale, Stoned Henge, p.45 posted:

The festival lingered on into July, as its numbers dwindled from a peak estimated at around 30,000 or more. The festival field and its surroundings looked as shabby as you might expect after six weeks of unordered camping without much sanitation or firewood supplies. Holes had been dug in Bronze Age barrows for latrines and as bread ovens, motorcycles had been ridden over them, churning the surface. Fences had been torn down, and 1000 young trees cut down for firewood. Clearing up cost upwards of ?20,000. A year later, the field was green again and looking quite restored, but of course archaeological damage doesn't mend so easily.

I was at the festival in '84 and saw the bread oven mentioned. Yes it did dig into a barrow, but only at the edge and not penetrating very far into the actual mound. If it had happened a few hundred years before it would have been an exciting piece of evidence for site reuse. As an archaeologist I have far bigger problems with the MOD who have been (are still being? not sure what the curent situation is) responsible for far more archaeological damage on Salisbury Plain than the festival ever was. Back in the late 70s/early 80s they even made a marvelous Catch-22 offer to archaeologists, "Tell us what sites are important and we will try and leave them alone. No you can't make any exploratory excavations to check which ones are actually important, just give us a list." The archaeologist Barbara Bender did some good work in the 80s and 90s putting across the perspective that the festival goers had every right to gather at Stonehenge, framing them as another example of a disenfranchised indigenous group. I saw her lecture in the late 80s to an audience that included many senior figures of the Scottish archaeological establishment and the sudden intake of breath when after running through slides of Australian aborigines, Maori, Native Americans, etc. she segued into images of British travellers was fantastic. This book Stonehenge: Making Space (Materializing Culture) is all I'm finding online by her at present that's directly relevant and I haven't read it but it should be a reasonable starting point if you're interested in some of the wider issues she brought up. Chippindale's Who Owns Stonehenge? is good too.

Serotonin posted:

Police and landowners also claimed the travellers had firearms and petrol bombs, so personaly Id take what was said by them with a pinch of salt

Again, many of the festival goers were biker groups who were certainly tooled up and happy to rumble, and some members of the convoy were not that different. People I camped by in '84 were leather workers with a thriving line in personalised axe and machete covers for the bikers, not the sort of customers you'd say No to really. There was also admittedly violence on site but never quite what was presented by the press - there was a story in several papers about a poor tourist who was beaten and had his car torched in '84, what they failed to mention was that this 'tourist' was camped up on site and publically displaying the sale of smack (the one real rule in '84 was that smack use had to be relatively covert in an attempt to clean up the festival's image, there was even a completely drug free zone), he was asked to stop a few times, basically said "gently caress You", so someone stopped him. The owner of a local icecream van profiteering off the festival goers (we are talking 50p per packet of skins, £1+ a loaf of bread in '84, a lot of this crap went on) who pulled a knife on a tripped out woman who'd complained about his prices had his van taken off him and driven around site on fire by a bunch of bikers who saw the whole thing. Yeah, interesting planet to visit but you wouldn't want to live there full time.

Remember:
Everyone's a Wally,
Everyday is Sunday,
Everywhere is Stonehenge.

The Beanfield was a hate crime.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

He's confusing required swing with margin of victory because he probably smoked too much crack or something idk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

they're trying to pretend it wasn't a 10% victory for some reason

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Cerv posted:

from the previous thread

But on he other hand, in the absence of the cancer would Walt have found a different excuse to start it off? If not hospital bills there'd be something else to spend the money on.
His arrogance and resentment and belief he'd never had the success or recognition he deserved were still there. And everything that prompts him to consider how easy it'd be - Hank's goading, spotting his connection to Jesse, ease of access to equipment & materials - is unrelated to the cancer.

Plus even with the treatment he was originally declined Walt is dead with a year. So it looks like it was the right medical decision that even a hypothetical perfect version or the NHS would have made.

Nah, you're thinking of the later seasons Walt, at the beginning he was far more of a coward, too afraid to act on that resentment and letting his superiority complex simmer away inside. You can tell straight away in the first episode that Hank had been goading him on and off for years, but he just puts up with it along with the humiliation of the second job at the carwash. It wasn't until he learnt of the cancer that he went on the ridealong with the intent of getting more info on cooking meth and discovered the connection to Jesse, all of which stemmed from desperation due to lack of insurance and the financial effect his death would have on his family. Though that arrogance and resentment did certainly lead to him staying in the business after he was given the possibility of support from his former business associates and turned them down.

Would another event have set Walt off on that path? Possibly, however remember the series begins with Walt under heavy financial pressure already and with Skyler pregnant, and babies are pretty expensive, yet he doesn't try cooking meth until he knows he's dying.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think the thing extremo is confused about relates to the fact that in a strictly binary choice the percentage of the options always add up to 100, so for option 1 to be 55 option 2 has to be 45, which he thinks is a difference of only 5% of the electorate as a result or something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Except that also assumes that the voting population is constant and some people are just changing their minds, which is clearly not how it works.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

The amount of votes for Yes to win would of been 50.1% which is 5.1% to win which is 5% rounded.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is not how people measure points gaps in politics.

People don''t realise that in order to win a referendum based on getting 50.1% when a side has 45% of the votes is to gain 5.1% more? Yea I know I've talked with the average Brit.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For one thing, people don't use "decisive" to mean "a decision was reached".

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/decisive

quote:

adjective: decisive

settling an issue; producing a definite result.
"the archers played a decisive part in the victory"
synonyms: deciding, conclusive, determining, final, settling, key;
having or showing the ability to make decisions quickly and effectively.
synonyms: resolute, firm, strong-minded, strong-willed, determined;

Actually yes it is.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For another thing, I was suggesting they were antonyms whereas you're implying I was suggesting they were synonyms.

So you were being sarcastic in text.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In summation, you are doing a poo poo impression of Pissflaps being obtusely pendantic and I claim my five poonds.

I didn't realise that disagreeing with someone is preety much up there with being a poo poo pissflaps clone.

Also you can have your five poonds but it's all in Marx and are equally worthless.

Namtab posted:

I think the thing extremo is confused about relates to the fact that in a strictly binary choice the percentage of the options always add up to 100, so for option 1 to be 55 option 2 has to be 45, which he thinks is a difference of only 5% of the electorate as a result or something.

That's because a strictly binary choice is more logical then whatever the hell you guys are suggesting.

Bloody humans.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Except that also assumes that the voting population is constant and some people are just changing their minds, which is clearly not how it works.

How the hell can you change your mind and change the result after the vote happened.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 1, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I sense you feel you're making a coherent argument.

You're not. This is nonsense.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Extreme0 posted:

The amount of votes for Yes to win would of been 50.1% which is 5.1% to win which is 5% rounded.

People don''t realise that in order to win a referendum based on getting 50.1% when a side has 45% of the votes is to gain 5.1% more? Yea I know I've talked with the average Brit.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/decisive

Actually yes it is.

So you were being sarcastic in text.

I didn't realise that disagreeing with someone is preety much up there with being a poo poo pissflaps clone.

Also you can have your five poonds but it's all in Marx and are equally worthless.

That's because a strictly binary choice is more logical then whatever the hell you guys are suggesting.

Bloody humans.

How the hell can you change your mind and change the result after the vote happened.

Tell me the truth, is this a performance art piece?

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pissflaps is right, 55-45 is not generally regarded as a close election result.

The 2008 American election, for example, was regarded as "decisive" and was 53-46.

Not sure this comparison works when US commentary of the results mainly focuses on the electoral college result which was not close in the slightest.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/man-slashes-throat-front-horrified-7362109#vitukBo7SVqWMZiz.97

That's some hardcore temper tantrum.

Pissflaps posted:

I sense you feel you're making a coherent argument.

You're not. This is nonsense.

Nuh uh you are nonsense.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tell me the truth, is this a performance art piece?

It's in the works Along with creating an AI with the mind of Pissflaps.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Fifty five minus forty five is ten.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's weird about saying if 5% of voters had said Yes instead of No then Scotland would be independent?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Fifty five minus forty five is ten.

It's still in the works as you can see. Seems to be repeating the same function over again like a broken record.

baka kaba posted:

What's weird about saying if 5% of voters had said Yes instead of No then Scotland would be independent?

Because that would mean it's "decisive".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Nothing.

The problem is then concluding that the gap between the two votes was this lower number, rather than the ten it was.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

baka kaba posted:

It's literally weird, in that stating it in that way is very unusual and not how it's done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a bunch of cool people who are not covered in faeces converge in a room

hmmm is this number big enough to warrant a subjective term

*the faeces covered people argue pointlessly for hours*

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

The figure in question isn't the difference between the two, but the swing necessary for a different result. It's really quite simple.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I don't think it was meant to be a standard election calculation or whatever, just a simple observation that 5% of people changing their minds would have had a huge impact. Nobody can really tell how close that came to happening, but as far as buffers go for a major decision with dramatic consequences, it seems pretty small

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The swing was five, but the difference in the percentage of the electorate who voted for "no" rather than "yes" is 10.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Acaila posted:

The figure in question isn't the difference between the two, but the swing necessary for a different result. It's really quite simple.

What do you consider to be the figure 'in question'?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

The problem is then concluding that the gap between the two votes was this lower number, rather than the ten it was.

The gap between the two sides is 10% yes but the gap for Yes to have won was 5.1% so Yes lost by 5.1%

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's literally weird, in that stating it in that way is very unusual and not how it's done.

But it's still correct regardless.

Namtab posted:

The swing was five, but the difference in the percentage of the electorate who voted for "no" rather than "yes" is 10.

My god Einstein's alive!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If the difference in percentage of the electorate who voted for yes rather than no had been 5%, the result would have been 47.5-52.5

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

The gap between the two sides is 10% yes but the gap for Yes to have won was 5.1% so Yes lost by 5.1%

No. They lost by 10%.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fellow posters, I have discovered a piece of string, we must determine its length, for once this is decided, all else can be rendered important!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Looks like we successfully put these numbers in order, good job team! Next on the agenda is... I can't make it out, Full something

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Fellow posters, I have discovered a piece of string, we must determine its length, for once this is decided, all else can be rendered important!

Whatever the length of the string is, divide by two to divine it's true length.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Looks like we successfully put these numbers in order, good job team! Next on the agenda is... I can't make it out, Full something

glasses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I cannot tell if this cloud passing by my eyeline is #7E7E7E or #7D7D7D

let's work together to get to the bottom of this

• Locked thread