Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i wonder what happens if the result of the referendum is a very close vote for leave, eg 51 v 49. will cameron attempt to engineer remaining (we will go back to the negotiating table for a better deal)? it would certainly be the end of him but it's not a clear mandate to go. and similarly if it was the reverse then you can probably guarantee another referendum in the near future (and the total implosion of the tories)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Tesseraction posted:

oh hey a left-winger came out with a reason to leave the EU that isn't entirely dogshit http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/08/eu-reform-green-brexit

a good article ?

Tesseraction posted:

Well, it provides an impetus for the EU to improve - if one country is willing to leave, the thread of other countries to do so becomes more realistic than if we keep going "no really, we're leaving this time!" and then doing nothing.

It's not to say leaving will definitely improve the EU, but that in her eyes it provides a more realistic root to improving it.

surely the best argument is that the exit of non euro (or in this case non cooperative) states removes all external resistance to what the eurozone needs the most: full fiscal and political union.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

i was going to post this in the uk rail thread but it seems more appropriate here given the political consequences hinted by the replies

http://davidboyle.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-real-reason-southern-rail-services.html

quote:

The real reason Southern Rail services have imploded

“The thing is, I don’t believe this stuff about staff shortages.”

That is what I said, and it doesn’t sound like a magic phrase, but it was as if I had said ‘open sesame’. I had gone to a different station to usual, and the conversation with the member of the station staff went like this.

I had asked why there were no trains on their running timetable to London. It was odd, even by the low standards of Southern Rail, to have them take the trains they couldn’t run off the timetable altogether. Usually, they just mark them as having been cancelled.

“Well,” she said. “It’s still the problem with staff shortages.”

It was then that I finally expressed my disbelief. It wasn’t until I said it that I realised how very little I did believe in the train company’s standard excuse. I mean, only few weeks ago, Southern Rail was claiming it was unprecedented sickness amongst the train crew. Now they appeared to be saying the train crew didn’t exist at all.

And in any case, why should any competent company experience a sudden, prolonged and catastrophic staff shortage, immediately after the short train strike in April, that prevents them from running a large chunk of the trains they are contracted to run?

“You’re right,” she said. “It isn’t true.”

“So what is the truth?” I said hopefully.

“I can’t tell you that because I would be sacked.”

I had to ask a number of other staff members to find out – and I had the chance to see a number of them yesterday because it was such a struggle getting to London (there are supposed to be two direct trains every hour).

The answer, it appears, is that the company has banned the railway staff involved in the two-day strike from doing overtime, to stop them clawing back their lost money.

The trouble is that their roster system relies on overtime. Without overtime, they can’t run the train service that people rely on. The result, as anyone unfortunate enough to live on the south coast at the moment, has been absolute chaos – a wholly unreliable service which at weekends becomes dangerously overcrowded. Sarah had to climb over a table to get off the train late on Sunday night because it was so full of passengers who had been let down time and time again by cancelled trains.

Now, there are a number of peculiar things about this, and they follow on from the central implication. Southern Rail is a private company (part of Govia Thameslink Railway) that are messing their passengers about, deeply inconveniencing their lives and meetings, in order to punish their own staff. In other words, they are doing it by choice.

Of course, we may not believe that story either. I'm sure there are other reasons why the company is not allowing overtime. I can't pretend I know what they are and they are certainly not saying.

What does ring true is that they could run a service – I was told that the depots are full of train crews who are not being allowed out to do their jobs, though I find it difficult to believe – but they have decided their passengers can be inconvenienced in order to teach staff a lesson.

Here are the odd things.

First, because this is not London, the media have not ferreted out the truth and put it on their front pages, and asked why the company directors are drawing down government subsidies (£8.9bn over seven years) while they are failing to provide the contracted service. There appear to be no journalists capable or empowered to turn up at the depot and see for themselves.

Second, there have been no questions in Parliament. My own MP Nick Herbert has made a statement and had meetings with the Department of Transport, as he explained yesterday. But then he still believes the staff shortages yarn.

Third, why is Southern Rail not afraid of losing their franchise? Does the regulator know and approve of this punishment or do they not? If they don't know, should they not investigate? If they do know, are there any circumstances, short of outright criminality, where a private contractor can have the quality clauses invoked to lose their franchise?

Is there no level of incompetence where the regulator will step in and act in defence of the customers?

Because if so, that isn’t what privatisation was supposed to be about. It was supposed to be about providing a competitive market, to force utilities to be sensitive to the needs of customers – the precise opposite of what has happened with Southern Rail.

Because it isn’t clear to me what the difference is between a featherbedded public monopoly and a featherbedded private monopoly – clearly there are no competitive or regulatory pressures on Govia Thameslink/Southern Railway. It is even conceiveable that the senior management of GTR don't know either.

I have no theoretical problem with privatisation. Quite the reverse, as long as the operator is transparent and accountable. I believe in shaking up services so that they do what they claim to. But this regime has allowed a wholly indefensible feather-bedding that allows one company to make a point to its staff – forcing them into an overtime drought that is mainly suffered by their customers.

A kind of industrial action in reverse. Once again, it is those who depend on the service who get it in the neck.

If that isn’t a scandal that ought to be handed over to John Humphreys, I don’t know what is.

interesting reply in the form of an email by a southern employee:

quote:

I've just received this comment, which I reproduce here in its entirety: Hi David,
I have just seen your blog post on the current situation at southern rail and would like to clear up some confusion around the situation.i, as most of you commuters am extremely fed up of the company spun and lies and am looking for a platform to shed some light on he situation. I tried to comment but as a non gmail user I was unable to do so. You have my permission to post my email however if you chose to do so I want it posted in its entirety if that's ok. I am an employee of southern so would appreciate it if you would refrain from making my email address public.

I know the current situation is extremely infuriating but it needs to be looked at from two sides. firstly the current agreement between govia and the DFT.
This is in fact a management contract which differ's from every other agreement throughout the country. All other TOC's hold something called a franchise agreement. Everyone is different but essentially they r responsible for the day to day running of that network. They have specific requirements they have to meet but they generally make the decisions, however with govia's management agreement they have no control or make no decisions. All he terms, targets and and plans have been set out by the DFT. Govia are simply there to implement the changes.
This is unique and has occurred for one reason and one reason only. A test bed for the rest of the country.

In 2011 a report called the McNulty report was published sand set out a number of wide ranging proposals for cutting cost on he railways. Since then the DFT has been putting together a plan to 'streamline' costing on the railway. One of the major changes was to rid the network of guards. (Along with many other members of staff)
What we are seeing (along with arriva Wales and first scotrail) is the beginning of these changes. Many people have asked why MP's and media outlets have been so quite on the matter and as to why govia have no fear of losing the franchise. This is because they are purely the axemen. The DFT will not remove them as they want the company to be the face of the changes to avoid huge public objections aimed at the conservative government. The senior management are purely being told what to do. It's written in their agreement. I have been through the 668 pages of the agreement and they are given financial bonuses based on the inline notation of the changes. However only a freedom of information request will allow us to obtain the actual financial figures. The CEO Charles Horton was brought in to do a similar job (albeit in a smaller scale) at connex. Peter wilkinson speech was an insight into the DFT's and governments plans. It also per toy aligns with the plan to rid the country of unions.
After many failed attempts with filed bills both in the House of Parliament and House of Lords, the conservatives see this as a perfect opportunity to kill of the unions. No staff = no members = no unions.

Secondly you have to appreciate the serve lack of staffing and staff moral within the company. For years the franchise has relied upon staff working rest days to cover the basic timetable. It's estimated the company is operating at 80% staffing levels. Hence you have the current problem. The company has indeed removed rest day working from striking staff members causing the problems you are experiencing. This will unfortunately never change to conserve profits. They would rather be under staffed and pay overtime when needed then have the required number staff and have some being 'spare' when staff sickness/holiday levels are low. I can also confirm that morale is at an all time low. The pure nastiness and bullying from senior management has been on a level never experienced before.
I hope this has cleared up some issues and hopefully opens the eyes of many of the travelling public.
I hope you are able to spread this to as many people as possible.
Kind regards

the last paragraph is something. i assume this common practice across many tocs because thameslink was constantly short of staff when it was being run by first. it seems they have not lived up to the promise to train more drivers and increase staffing levels.

other replies from southern employees are in the link (there's a long one about driver only operation at the bottom). the author did a follow up post with a summary of them.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 14, 2016

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

HJB posted:

not voting for whoever we think will do the least damage.

if you genuinely believe it isn't this you're living in a dreamworld mate

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

campaigning is suspend until tomorrow

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

That reminds me that John Harris has another brilliant piece in the Graun today:

I skipped plenty, but it's well worth reading.

it's a great article. he's probably the last decent journalist left at the guardian

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

yeah it's now Wapping in Surrey

wapping... in surrey ?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

he was on mock the week before moving to america. i think that says it all

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Zephro posted:

There will be a lot if residual bad feeling with nowhere to go which is kind of worrying in itself

i have to say watching the john harris stuff on the guardian, i think labour is probably finished outside of the major english cities. i don't really see how they can come back from this

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Zephro posted:

There was an FT breakdown of who was voting Remain and who was voting Leave that was interesting on this. Being a Labour supporter was strongly predictive of remain, as was being in the A or B social class, as defined by the ONS. Being in social class C1, D or E was strongly predictive of Leave. In other words, Labour supporters are voting in the same way as the middle classes, while the working classes - ie Labour's traditional supporters - lean strongly Leave. Which is pretty strongly indicative that Labour is becoming more and more of a middle-class-only party.

a boiled egg could have won in 97. why they decided it was necessary to become the islington upper street party is beyond me.

SUNKOS posted:

I feel like that's why we're in for a scary/depressing weekend regardless of the outcome of the referendum.

What are the chances for future everyone-except-the-Tories coalition governments, though? If it wasn't for UKIP I'd imagine that Labour, SNP and the Lib Dems etc. could all form a coalition government? I remember in one of the debates during the last general election Sturgeon was laying the offer of a coalition to Miliband on the common ground of keeping the Tories out of power, and although he declined I'd imagine that Corbyn would be much more open to the idea since it seems unlikely that Labour will ever win Scotland back.

if we vote to remain i imagine ukip will demolish labour in their working class heartlands. bad blood between snp and labour as stated by others probably will stop them doing any other kind of deal.

any coalition will be impossible.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Perhaps the only one of these things that isn't bad. Or as bad.

i prefer this version

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

it doesn't matter who wins a speculative leadership election, labour is finished as an electoral force outside of london

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Enjoy losing everything forever, PLP

they have lost regardless mate

their core vote deserted them in their heartlands

they're not coming back from this short of some miracle

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

OvineYeast posted:

a) its membership base will collapse, and with it the party finances
b) it will lose a good chunk of its current voters, but is unlikely to gain any more (the old Labour/Tory swing voters are over in UKIP now, they're not coming back)
c) It will never win an election again

This is all pretty obvious, isn't it?

this is happening anyway

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

OvineYeast posted:

You might make a point for c), but a) and b) are certainly not happening (the opposite, if anything - Labour's gained votes since the last general election and also *a lot* of membership).

and yet their entire core vote abandoned them en masse last night?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

daniel hannan on newsnight saying the vote was 'very close' and in order to 'respect the remain voters' he thinks a norway deal with free movement is best

'i never committed to any reduction in immigration numbers'

Metrication fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 24, 2016

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

two separate leading leave people (hannan and the ukip woman) on newsnight last night said very clearly that 'a slim majority' voted for this and they needed to be 'reassured' which i can only interpret as their laying the ground for breaking all the promises for not ending freedom of movement etc ?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

no one knows for sure, but there is a compelling point being made that it is in the interest of the EU to gently caress the UK right hard over this, as an example to quell any other movements in other member states. We don't know that will happen, but if the continent moved to punish the island, the leverage the EU has is massive and Britain will be put through the wringer.

Alternatively if Britain isn't totally hosed, this might embolden the separatists in other nations, and end up breaking up the whole project, which would have devastating effects across the globe but in particular absolutely destroy the European economy.

Who knows though, things might be totally fine. But there are a lot of bad scenarios, and none of this had to happen.

the problem with the idea of punishment is that it will rally all the people who think the eu is already cruel and unjust. if people think the eu is already a vengeful force with regards to greece and other poor states, this would just reinforce that idea. what conclusions can be drawn on an organisation that is consistently claimed to be 'undemocratic' enacting sadistic revenge after the 'democratic' will of the people?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Antti posted:

If you don't agree with us then you're a meanie."

not talking about people in this country, i'm talking about eurosceptics abroad. and ultimate punishment would be no deal at all (just fall back to wto rules) which would be absurd, actual punishment would be associate member status like turkey or canada. i can't see this happening personally. the idiots in leave are now congregating around norway solution which obviously means the entire thing has been a pointless illusion but you get what you vote for i suppose

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

quote:

Brexit: Merkel says 'no need to be nasty' in leaving talks

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said the European Union has "no need to be particularly nasty in any way" in the negotiations with Britain about its exit from the bloc.

She insisted that deterring other countries from leaving the EU should not be a priority in the talks.

And she added she was not in favour of pushing for a speedy withdrawal.

Britain narrowly voted to end its membership in a historic referendum last Thursday.

Mrs Merkel was speaking after several EU foreign ministers - including Germany's - had urged Britain to quickly implement its exit.

"It shouldn't take forever, that's right, but I would not fight for a short timeframe," she said.

She added that she was seeking an "objective, good" climate in the talks with Britain, which "must be conducted properly".

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier had earlier said negotiations should begin as "soon as possible".

He made the comments after an urgent meeting of the six EU founder members to discuss the decision.

British Prime Minister David Cameron has said he will step down by October to allow his successor to conduct talks.

The six countries attending the summit in Berlin - Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands - first joined forces in the 1950s and still form the core of the EU.

"We say here together, this process should get under way as soon as possible so that we are not left in limbo but rather can concentrate on the future of Europe," Mr Steinmeier said.

His Dutch counterpart Bert Koenders said the continent could not accept a political vacuum, saying "this will not be business as usual".

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

this will be the constitutional crisis to end constitutional crises

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Create a second tier of EU affiliation that maximises mutual trade benefits without the political integration. Invite the UK, Norway and Switzerland to join it.

they could call it the 'european economic community'

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

quote:

This EU referendum has been the most extraordinary political event of our lifetime. Never in our history have so many people been asked to decide a big question about the nation’s future. Never have so many thought so deeply, or wrestled so hard with their consciences, in an effort to come up with the right answer.

It has been a gruelling campaign in which we have seen divisions between family and friends and colleagues – sometimes entirely amicable, sometimes, alas, less so. In the end, there was a clear result. More than 17 million people voted to leave the EU – more than have ever assented to any proposition in our democratic history. Some now cast doubt on their motives, or even on their understanding of what was at stake.

It is said that those who voted Leave were mainly driven by anxieties about immigration. I do not believe that is so. After meeting thousands of people in the course of the campaign, I can tell you that the number one issue was control – a sense that British democracy was being undermined by the EU system, and that we should restore to the people that vital power: to kick out their rulers at elections, and to choose new ones.

I believe that millions of people who voted Leave were also inspired by the belief that Britain is a great country, and that outside the job-destroying coils of EU bureaucracy we can survive and thrive as never before. I think that they are right in their analysis, and right in their choice. And yet we who agreed with this majority verdict must accept that it was not entirely overwhelming.

There were more than 16 million who wanted to remain. They are our neighbours, brothers and sisters who did what they passionately believe was right. In a democracy majorities may decide but everyone is of equal value. We who are part of this narrow majority must do everything we can to reassure the Remainers. We must reach out, we must heal, we must build bridges – because it is clear that some have feelings of dismay, and of loss, and confusion.

I believe that this climate of apprehension is understandable, given what people were told during the campaign, but based on a profound misunderstanding about what has really taken place. At home and abroad, the negative consequences are being wildly overdone, and the upside is being ignored. The stock market is way above its level of last autumn; the pound remains higher than it was in 2013 and 2014.

The economy is in good hands. Most sensible people can see that Bank of England governor Mark Carney has done a superb job – and now that the referendum is over, he will be able to continue his work without being in the political firing-line. Thanks in large part to the reforms put in place by David Cameron and George Osborne, the fundamentals of the UK economy are outstandingly strong – a dynamic and outward-looking economy with an ever-improving skills base, and with a big lead in some of the key growth sectors of the 21st century.

We should be incredibly proud and positive about the UK, and what it can now achieve. And we will achieve those things together, with all four nations united. We had one Scotland referendum in 2014, and I do not detect any real appetite to have another one soon; and it goes without saying that we are much better together in forging a new and better relationship with the EU – based on free trade and partnership, rather than a federal system.

I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be. There will still be intense and intensifying European cooperation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment. EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI – the BDI – has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market. Britain is and always will be a great European power, offering top-table opinions and giving leadership on everything from foreign policy to defence to counter-terrorism and intelligence-sharing – all the things we need to do together to make our world safer.

The only change – and it will not come in any great rush – is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU’s extraordinary and opaque system of legislation: the vast and growing corpus of law enacted by a European Court of Justice from which there can be no appeal. This will bring not threats, but golden opportunities for this country – to pass laws and set taxes according to the needs of the UK.

Yes, the Government will be able to take back democratic control of immigration policy, with a balanced and humane points-based system to suit the needs of business and industry. Yes, there will be a substantial sum of money which we will no longer send to Brussels, but which could be used on priorities such as the NHS. Yes, we will be able to do free trade deals with the growth economies of the world in a way that is currently forbidden.

There is every cause for optimism; a Britain rebooted, reset, renewed and able to engage with the whole world. This was a seismic campaign whose lessons must be learnt by politicians at home and abroad. We heard the voices of millions of the forgotten people, who have seen no real increase in their incomes, while FTSE-100 chiefs now earn 150 times the average pay of their employees. We must pursue actively the one-nation policies that are among David Cameron’s fine legacy, such as his campaigns on the Living Wage and Life Chances. There is no doubt that many were speaking up for themselves.

But they were also speaking up for democracy, and the verdict of history will be that the British people got it right.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

i have read the article. johnson is delusional. he thinks we're getting single market access and all the trimmings (intelligence sharing etc) without free movement of people.

he is literally bonkers

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

i should point out that in safari's private mode it seems you can access any telegraph article without paywall.

this is long but worth a read

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/the-eu-will-treat-britain-like-greece/

quote:

The EU will treat Britain like Greece

I arrived in Brussels as the Daily Telegraph’s correspondent in early June, 2015. A fortnight later, Alexis Tsipras snubbed Brussels, and called a referendum on the third bailout that was designed to save the Eurozone from collapse.

The terms he was later given - €50bn of assets sold and a de facto control of economic policy surrendered - were so harsh they were later denounced as a "coup".

It taught me two things: that in the cause of its salvation the European Union can be profoundly flexible and exceptionally brutal, and that events can swiftly take a momentum that is hard to control.

Nothing of that experience gives me hope for the years that now await our country.

Britain is almost certainly out the European Union

As far as Brussels is concerned, Britain has left.

At home on Friday morning, Britons were dumbstruck, agog at the result, or chuffed at having taught Brussels a lesson.

We now see street protests to overturn the result, internet petitions, suggestions that the UK or Scottish Parliament could revoke it or somehow make it go away. Westminster is occupied by Labour coups and Tory successions. Few seem to believe we are going.

In Brussels, they have been ready to say goodbye for a long time. Britain had been half-way out the door for forty years. David Cameron had announced this referendum in January 2013. He had won an election on the back of it, and many expected him to lose it. He, and they, repeated many times that it was final and binding. Patience is exhausted.

On Friday there was grave sadness, but no panic. The timetable for the talks was announced days before the vote. Martin Schulz, the president of the Parliament, spoke at dawn; Donald Tusk, the president of the Council, delivered a statement at 07.40 GMT. The founding members' foreign ministers met on Saturday; sherpas for the 27 remaining states will meet today to sketch out the months ahead.

Leaders have demanded Article 50 is activated immediately, to create certainty. Realistically, Mr Cameron has until Christmas.

Scotland is ready to quit, and diplomats are quite open to welcoming them into the EU club.

The treaties say that all Britain’s rights and obligations must remain for two years once Article 50 is activated. But Lord Hill, Britain’s commissioner, quit yesterday, and Downing Street said it had no plans to replace him, and Jean-Claude Juncker told Ukip MEPs to pack their bags. Is the legal order fragmenting? What other clauses in the treaties - which protect British expats on the continent, among other things - will now be ignored without consequence?

So the Brexit locomotive has left the station.

Can it be halted?

The European Council has offered a narrow window, saying that Britain has not left until Article 50 is activated formally by the Prime Minister, “if it is indeed the intention of the British government.”

Mr Cameron has left it to his successor to activate it. Mrs Merkel is in no hurry. Senior EU sources say they can wait until Christmas, but prevarication would trash Britain's credit-worthiness.

There are two problems. Firstly, to not activate Article 50 would be a rejection of democracy on a scale that could only be described as a coup, and would poison British public life for generations.

Secondly, a wave of movements demanding referendums on the terms of membership, given a huge boost by Mr Cameron, is tearing across Europe – in France, Denmark, the Netherlands, Slovakia, Italy, Hungary. Marine Le Pen could will run rampant in French elections in the spring.

Leaders anticipated that Boris Johnson would pursue a 'vote leave for a better deal' strategy, and ruled it out from February, precisely to prevent this scenario.

Jean-Claude Juncker said on Friday: “The repercussions of the British referendum could quickly put a stop to such crass rabble-rousing, as it should soon become clear that the UK was better off inside the EU.” Britain simply has to go, on bad terms, pour encourager les autres.

Britain has very few friends

In European eyes, David Cameron has had a remarkably generous lot: already out the euro, ever closer union, justice and home affairs obligations and Schengen, he was offered an enhanced deal that confirmed the perks of membership with scant obligations.

Yet he attacked Brussels for years for domestic advantage. Mr Cameron campaigned hard against his appointment. Stories about Mr Juncker's alleged drinking and the war record of his father, a conscript in the Wehrmacht, emerged. Yet Juncker offered an olive branch by giving Jonathan Hill the financial services portfolio Mr Cameron craved, in order to preserve the City. He is profoundly angry.

In his brutal negotiation, Alexis Tsipras had a number of cards to play. There was the “solidarity” that EU states are obliged to show each other, the pity and guilt at the plight of the Greek people who had been punished through no fault of their own, and the €83 billion of German taxpayer cash in Greek banks that risked going up in smoke. Their referendum had been hasty, the question unclear, Mr Juncker said; Greeks made plain they wanted to remain Europeans.

No such goodwill exists for Britain, now an ex-member. Mr Johnson, the possible next prime minister, caused genuine and grave offence by likening the European project to the ambitions of Hitler. His declarations that Brexit will trigger events that unravel the entire project is, in effect, a declaration of war that must be met.

Recall how inflexible European leaders were during Mr Cameron’s attempted renegotiation, when he put a gun to their heads and threatened to leave unless they submitted to his demands. He has fired that gun in the air, and locked himself out the room. Britain’s only leverage is how much damage a messy Brexit would inflict on European economies.

Time is not on our side

Once Article 50 is activated, events will move frighteningly fast. It took Mr Cameron seven full months to secure his meagre renegotiation. He will have just two years to get an exit deal covering every facet of British life, and a trade deal that will do the least harm to the fragile, debt-laden economy.

The government is in disarray, the Labour party in meltdown, and the imminent exit of Scotland means it will be unclear with who or what, exactly, the EU is negotiating with. The French foreign minister yesterday implored Cameron to find a successor to take charge.

A ban issued from Downing Street on Brexit preparations – lest it boost the leave campaign – meant Britain’s most senior officials were permitted to “think” about a Brexit, but not allowed to write anything down.

Several take their guide from Flexcit, a book by a blogger Richard North that advocates a Norway-style deal as a half-way house under a “soft” exit. The crucial weeks ahead of polling day were spent in purdah, tending the garden.

The UK has next to no trade negotiators, and will need hundreds, to replicate the market access it currently has with 50 states around the world .

But the EU is ready. Talks in Jean-Claude Juncker’s in house think-tank began months ago. Foreign ministries have been preparing position papers. Lawyers are busy: Brussels has had 70 years of practice in writing treaties, signing trade talks, fixing accessions and bailouts, making and breaking nations.

Britain has very few friends

In European eyes, David Cameron has had a remarkably generous lot: already out the euro, ever closer union, justice and home affairs obligations and Schengen, he was offered an enhanced deal that confirmed the perks of membership with scant obligations.

Yet he attacked Brussels for years for domestic advantage. Mr Cameron campaigned hard against his appointment. Stories about Mr Juncker's alleged drinking and the war record of his father, a conscript in the Wehrmacht, emerged. Yet Juncker offered an olive branch by giving Jonathan Hill the financial services portfolio Mr Cameron craved, in order to preserve the City. He is profoundly angry.

In his brutal negotiation, Alexis Tsipras had a number of cards to play. There was the “solidarity” that EU states are obliged to show each other, the pity and guilt at the plight of the Greek people who had been punished through no fault of their own, and the €83 billion of German taxpayer cash in Greek banks that risked going up in smoke. Their referendum had been hasty, the question unclear, Mr Juncker said; Greeks made plain they wanted to remain Europeans.

No such goodwill exists for Britain, now an ex-member. Mr Johnson, the possible next prime minister, caused genuine and grave offence by likening the European project to the ambitions of Hitler. His declarations that Brexit will trigger events that unravel the entire project is, in effect, a declaration of war that must be met.

Recall how inflexible European leaders were during Mr Cameron’s attempted renegotiation, when he put a gun to their heads and threatened to leave unless they submitted to his demands. He has fired that gun in the air, and locked himself out the room. Britain’s only leverage is how much damage a messy Brexit would inflict on European economies.

Time is not on our side

Once Article 50 is activated, events will move frighteningly fast. It took Mr Cameron seven full months to secure his meagre renegotiation. He will have just two years to get an exit deal covering every facet of British life, and a trade deal that will do the least harm to the fragile, debt-laden economy.

The government is in disarray, the Labour party in meltdown, and the imminent exit of Scotland means it will be unclear with who or what, exactly, the EU is negotiating with. The French foreign minister yesterday implored Cameron to find a successor to take charge.

A ban issued from Downing Street on Brexit preparations – lest it boost the leave campaign – meant Britain’s most senior officials were permitted to “think” about a Brexit, but not allowed to write anything down.

Several take their guide from Flexcit, a book by a blogger Richard North that advocates a Norway-style deal as a half-way house under a “soft” exit. The crucial weeks ahead of polling day were spent in purdah, tending the garden.

The UK has next to no trade negotiators, and will need hundreds, to replicate the market access it currently has with 50 states around the world .

But the EU is ready. Talks in Jean-Claude Juncker’s in house think-tank began months ago. Foreign ministries have been preparing position papers. Lawyers are busy: Brussels has had 70 years of practice in writing treaties, signing trade talks, fixing accessions and bailouts, making and breaking nations.

We don't get to be Norway

The Leavers’ best hope – a Norway deal that means EEA status, retained rights for the City and immigration - is almost certainly off the table.

Britain has made clear it doesn’t want free movement – and so any deal on those grounds would be so impossibly fragile as to be a waste of time. Frankfurt and Paris would certainly like our banks. Mr Juncker is determined to undo Britain's attempt to create a multi-currency union, meaning clearing houses that trade in Euros and generate billions for the Exchequer will have to be domiciled in the Eurozone.

Leaders have made clear, before and after the vote, that Britain is not getting access to the single market.

“Out is out,” said Wolfgang Schaeuble, the German finance minister, some weeks ago.

“There will certainly be no cherry picking,” confirmed Mr Juncker, saying it will be a "clean" divorce.

More likely is a Canadian-style trade deal, that will set tariffs on imports and exports. That may be fine for German manufacturers. But Britain’s service economy will be cut up like an old car. British graduates are about to learn what it's like to use an Australian-style points system.

We do not control this process

Article 50 is designed so that it leaves any state that activates it is a supplicant.

The remaining EU states will negotiate between themselves and deal with the UK as one, just as they would for Albania or Turkey.

If a deal covering trade arrangements isn’t struck once the two-year period expires, Britain is simply released from the EU treaties and left on crippling WTO terms - something the Treasury terms a "severe shock scenario" and which it envisages would likely result in a cut in GDP of six per cent and increase unemployment by 800,000, not including the risks presented by emergency spending cuts, or the "tipping points" presented by the crystallisation of financial stability risks.

It means the government will effectively be forced to take any fait accompli presented at the last minute, or face ruin.

Even then, any further trade deal will require ratification by EU parliaments, meaning Belgian MPs, amongst others, can veto it.

The Leave campaign is fond of a quote attributed to Churchill: “Each time we have to choose between Europe and the open sea, we shall always choose the open sea.”

Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee, For those in peril on the sea.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 26, 2016

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

MrFlibble posted:

You think after what we've done to the stock market the eu's gonna say "alright, I suppose you can stay"?

I doubt we get even the same deal as before but considerably shittier and also no veto or say in anything that people were floating before.

nothing happens until article 50 is invoked. the relationship hasn't changed, we still follow the same rules and get the same benefits. all the same laws apply, they cannot remove us. we have exactly the same deal before because literally nothing has changed and won't until the deed is done.

what has clearly changed is that this country has progressed far past its social standing in the eu as a minor irritation

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Palpek posted:

This isn't this simple though. A politician saying that he/she will ignore the results of the referendum (which not invoking article 50 would be) is political suicide as well as it would mean telling the majority of the country that their opinion doesn't mean poo poo after all. Basically both invoking and not invoking article 50 means the end to the political career of the person doing it which is the whole point of the scuffle happening now.

'we will not invoke article 50 until we are given guaranteed access to the single market by the ec and the 27 other member states'

*never invokes it because this never happens*

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Zanu Liebour

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Zephro posted:

The more I think about a second referendum the more I wonder. The oil price is low, Scotland isn't going to want the Euro, the Spanish will fight it because of the precedent it sets, etc. The only way I could see it working is if Scotland somehow inherited the UK's old seat, but I have no idea how/if that'd work legally.

is north sea oil ever going to bounce back? i thought it was nearly depleted anyway

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

What's the chance that the Brexit'ers just say "Well guys the EU won't let us out without severely punishing us!" and they'll back down from pulling out?

They'd be able to still blame the EU for society's ills without actually damaging the economy.

'well people voted to leave the eu, they didn't vote to leave the single market. my conscience is clear'

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

blowfish posted:

This is the best case scenario. And it's exactly what this

looks intended to lead to.

can you explain what repealing the act would mean and how it would relate to an eea agreement ? (it has been a long time since my politics a level)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

awesome-express posted:

Gove would make a nice fall guy for invalidating the referendum tho

doesn't gove actually want to leave the single market ? unlike boris (and probably most candidates apart from the american puppet stater liam fox)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/khaddon/status/748474115233841152

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

I'm curious: why would changing how we trade with the EU 'kill' the UK economy, and what is meant by 'kill'?

'80% of UK exports are in services - not physical goods'

any tariffs on services would blow up this country's economy. the idea that you can exit the single market, be subject to wto tariffs for 7 years (how long i think this canadian deal is taking) and there will be no damage is the realms of total insanity

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/JakeBerry/status/748543644202852352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Excerpts from Theresa May's leadership campaign launch speech: http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/06/theresa-mays-launch-statement-full-text.html

"No change for the foreseeable future" sounds very much like "no Article 50 for the foreseeable future".

i note she only said 'services' and not 'financial services'

are the tories really going to throw the city under a bus for less freedom of movement ? assuming that's even an option

• Locked thread