Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The best Disnep song is clearly Gaston and it's so far above all the others we're really only able to talk about second place and lower

Pesmerga knows what's up with the others. Make a Man Out of You is so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I watched When the Wind Blows once, and decided not to nuke people anymore :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"Dirty wee scrote"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

TinTower posted:

Why the hell is so much public discourse about the EU about loving toasters anyway? You just know that if the UK wrote those directives the media would be lauding it as common sense regulation to save the common man on his electricity bills.

Racism against foreigners, as usual. It's just a little more accepted in public to use that slur for Cylons than the common ones for other groups.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sent my postal ballot in this morning, voted for the "Let's not commit complete national suicide, Juche is a poor policy option" side. Increasingly convinced it'll be Leave and we're all massively hosed, but as mentioned, at least it would have the tiny silver lining of getting David Hameron (WFAPD) into he history books for being the first British PM to both gently caress a dead pig AND gently caress everything up irrevocably.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

If I wear trousers can I carry a foot long Seax?

Or, presumably, in Coohoolin's case he can carry a pike.

Trousers wouldn't be enough for my Seax :smug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, it isn't Blair - he didn't have any leadership position in 87 (stood for the shadow cabinet but didn't get in), and SI's original take on him was an unctuous little schoolboy in old-style cap and short trousers.

Who among us could grasp what that schoolboy would unleash?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Howdy Ober, I know you don't like poo poo news stories when you wake up;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-36472234

Auntie posted:

Disabled girl handcuffed by Sussex Police, IPCC finds

The police watchdog said the force had failed to to respond effectively to the needs of a vulnerable child

An 11-year-old girl with a neurological disability was handcuffed and put in leg restraints while being held in custody, the police watchdog has found.

The girl was detained for a total of 60 hours without an appropriate adult by Sussex Police.

A number of officers and staff members had a case to answer for misconduct, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said.

Sussex Police said it would respond to any "new learning" identified.

The girl, named Child H in the IPCC's report, was arrested three times and detained under the Mental Health Act once between 2 February and 2 March 2012.

Her disability had not been diagnosed at the time of the police contact, but her mother had told officers she believed she had an autism spectrum disorder.

Despite this, the IPCC found she was twice held overnight in police cells, without a parent, guardian or social worker present to support her.

She was also restrained using a mesh anti-spit hood, handcuffs and leg straps.

The IPCC concluded that a number of officers and members of police staff had a case to answer for misconduct.

Two of those identified - a custody sergeant and an inspector - who, according to investigators, failed to ensure an appropriate adult was present, have since retired.

The force took "management action" against six custody sergeants found to have failed to ensure an appropriate adult was present.

It disciplined another custody sergeant found to have failed to ensure Child H was dealt with quickly, and two police constables who restrained the girl in handcuffs, in the same manner.

The watchdog found all nine had a case to answer for misconduct.

No further action was taken against a former front desk enquiry officer who the IPCC believed had failed to treat Child H's mother according to her needs, a call handler for failing to log sufficient information about the girl's condition, and against a police constable who, in the view of the investigator, had a case to answer for misconduct.

On a number of occasions, officers did not record any rationale for their use of force on the youngster, who has "a neurological disability which can cause challenging behaviour", inspectors said.

Her mother, known as Ms H, said in a statement through her solicitors: "My daughter's contact with the police in 2012 was nothing short of a nightmare for both of us.

"At the time her disability meant that she could behave in very challenging ways, but what she needed was patience, respect and the support of her mother.

The girl was restrained with handcuffs, leg restraints and a mesh anti-spit hood

"Instead she was locked up in a police station without me or anyone else who knew her for support.

"I know that some of the officers were doing their best, but I cannot understand why others thought it was appropriate to put an 11-year-old girl in handcuffs and leg restraints.

"I can't accept that it will ever be appropriate for the police to hood a disabled child, regardless of how they behave.

"I call on Sussex Police to stop doing this to children immediately."

The watchdog made a number of recommendations after its investigation, including:

• Improved training on the use of force on children and adults with mental illness, to ensure the use of force is avoided wherever possible

• Additional training on detaining vulnerable people and the role of an appropriate adult

• Ensuring officers are accountable for their use of force

IPCC Commissioner Jennifer Izekor said: "This was a complex investigation, which found Sussex Police officers failed to respond effectively to the needs of a vulnerable child.

"While it is clear Child H had significant behavioural problems arising from her disability, Sussex Police and, indeed other agencies which were - or should have been - involved, did not appear to have the skills and capacity to respond to her effectively. The situation was exacerbated by the lack of understanding of Child H's complex needs."

Ms Izekor added she was pleased the force had engaged with Child H's family to improve any future dealings with her after the IPCC launched its investigation.

The force's temporary Deputy Chief Constable, Robin Smith, said: "As a chief officer I have a duty to protect officers and the public when we are called on for help, whether the threat comes from a child or someone who is unwell.

"This is very often the case and it was on several occasions that the girl's mother called for our help.

"The application of any type of restraint is considered only when the level of resistance causes concern for the safety of the detained person, the officer and other members of the public."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pissflaps posted:

If somebody opened a music venue next door I'd be furious.

Right goons, let's have a whip-round and we'll see if we can make the purchase and get the licenses.

Also can further confirm Sikhs are cool & good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Renfield posted:

Jesus loving Christ...

Chris Greyling on QuestionTime is paraphrasing the 14 words

lmao why is that so easy for me to believe

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I finally understood the offside rule when I realized it's a rule intended to make the game better to watch, rather than to make it fairer/faster/whatever.

Like it's still daft because if you've got a couple of twats goal-hanging that weakens their team on the field and if they isn't something the other team can reliably take advantage of, it implies the game itself is a bit poo poo, but at least it makes sense to me now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

serious gaylord posted:

The security in the ground have all run away after Russian fans started a riot in the ground.they're literally doing nothing to try and stop it

Are they actual bobbies, or just hired goons? If the former, Christ, what does it take to make the French coppers back off instead of going in truncheons swinging? :stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

serious gaylord posted:

Just hired security. Apparently Russian ultras don't need proper police in uefas eyes

lmao okay good judgment there lads

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

So what you're saying is that it's possible shooting over a hundred people was NOT the most harmful act he committed in his life?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Darth Walrus posted:

No, but it's really not much of a concession to say that this particular spree shooter picked the 'demented Wahhabi spin-off' option out of the many available to angry, frustrated American men in possession of ridiculous amounts of firepower. Particularly since the LA pride parade arrest underlines that it's completely possible to arrive in the exact same place from a quite different philosophical direction. Like, yeah, the scarier sects of Islam inspire people to go out and murder folks en masse. So do the scarier sects of Christianity. And Buddhism. And Hinduism. And Judaism. And even the mainstream elements of non-religious ideologies like fascism, MGTOW, white supremacy, and so on. Whatever the case, investing in better mental health-care and weaning the country off its ruinous firearm addiction is probably going to help quite a bit.

Not as much as killing all men seems likely to help. And I say that as a man who would on balance prefer not to be killed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Taear posted:

When you talk to people on the doorstep about it all they've got to say is how Britain is full and how we need to "stem the tide". A few mention fishing and other generalities but that's mostly what you hear. And there's no persuading people about it, at all.

Can't change minds with facts when they weren't made up with facts in the first place.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pantsuit posted:

I don't understand why people in this thread are so mad at the prospect of leaving the EU? Especially since it is perfectly alright with attacking collective bargaining, wages and social safety nets?

Because whilst in principle leaving the EU would allow the UK to pursue much leftier policies, in practice that isn't what would happen after leaving, and the protections the EU does offer are a drat sight better than the ones the Tories would implement (because they exist at all).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

namesake posted:

Even as a radical leftist I think that's a bit of a tall claim, we've only assisted in its destruction at pivotal moments in history.

Yeah the one continent we haven't been the main players in ruining is our own, oddly enough. The frogs and krauts had that sorted.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Extreme0 posted:

Troubles 2: Electric Boogaloo?

There's a lot of contention about whether Troubles 2: Electric Boogaloo or Troubles 3 & Knuckles was superior, but even partisans admit both were great in their own ways.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 14, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Paul.Power posted:

I suppose he has one thing going for him in that his personal philosophy isn't (or at least doesn't appear to be) "1) More money for us. 2) gently caress you.", and he somehow genuinely believes that Britain is one step away from becoming Great again if only they went back to teaching Kings and Dates and the twelve times table* in schools. That probably has an appeal to both old Tories and the kind of young Tory that gets a photograph posted in UKMT wearing a bow tie and a pre-war hairstyle. Like yeah, he looks crazy to us, but if you're already crazy enough to vote Tory...

___
* To be fair, the twelve times table is pretty cool because twelve and its multiples are super cool numbers, although at this point if you're going to teach it you may as well teach up to the sixteen times table or something.

I asked the same question in this thread some time back and was met with precisely this answer; Gove might be an idiot and a buffoon but he has something approaching a coherent vision of how things are and should be that is slightly more developed than "We are your betters, shut up proles."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tesseraction posted:

My own MP never did them. From now on he'll use this tragedy as an excuse when really it's because he's a racist gently caress in a diverse town.

I didn't even know until today that holding surgeries was optional.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Namtab posted:

I'm michael gove and I've made all my life choices by slaughtering a chicken then examining the entrails

Do not mock haruspicy, it is an art far more complex than Gove's tiny little mind can comprehend.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mair sounds an awful lot like a Scottish surname to me, I think we need to talk about tightening up security north of the border to stop this insidious menace.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oberleutnant posted:

Set up a guillotine in fleet street imo.

Very few of the papers are actually based in Fleet Street anymore.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sod Hadrian, herd the degenerate jocks up out of the Lowlands and rebuild the Antonine Wall.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

E: corbyn delenda est

You are Pissflaps and I claim my five pounds.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pesmerga posted:

Edit: seriously, I am more and more repulsed by the idea of direct democracy every day. I'm relieved that train wreck of bigotry is over.

Wait democracy is over?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Miftan posted:

I don't see a difference? Not to get all pissflaps about this, but surely if a murder happened then whoever did it is a murderer?

Yes, but there's a distinction between someone factually doing a kill, and the law recognizing it. Similar to how in the US even when some bloke's shot twenty people and three coppers he's still the "suspect".

e; but Gonzo's right in that it's almost entirely down to right wingers trying to obfuscate the issue and make things so muddy that the fact he killed a sitting MP because of racist rhetoric throughout society is lost.

e2; God, could you imagine if Pissflaps was a lawyer or judge or something?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gorn Myson posted:

I don't want to spoil the short party in this thread here, but this is the same sort of poo poo the right pulls in the US when they turn up at poll stations to tell voters that Democrats vote tomorrow, Republicans vote today.

That's probably not going to be regarded as altogether persuasive in a thread with several posters who explicitly want to overturn the entire system.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Baron Corbyn posted:

Sort of related but liberals annoy the poo poo out of me when they say stuff like "I don't care who you vote for as long as you vote". Usually with a loving smiley face emoticon at the end of it as well.

I don't mean to 'flaps you, but how come? Anyone who has any faith in the democratic system is going to believe that increasing voter turnout is pretty much a good thing. You might not but it doesn't seem unreasonable to want the system to work well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Doesn't Estonia (and maybe a couple other countries) actually already have e-voting though? Not to say that proves it's easy to do right, or even possible to do right, but unless I've invented shite whole cloth (which is eminently possible) it does give us a place to look for how to actually do it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Alright first of all what the gently caress did I just watch

quote:

Comments are disabled for this video.
:laffo:

Finally I love how the chicken straight up thought "Yeah we WILL be worse off out but I'll do it anyway!". Turned out to be wrong which was part of the point, but that's not the most ringing endorsement, saying they're willing to burn the place down because R Sov Rent E.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

15% iirc

Here's a map of likely intent by the serious science of twitter analytics:
https://jellyfish.cartodb.com/viz/b18d565c-1b47-11e6-b5ea-0e674067d321/embed_map

Leicestershire the most pro-EU part of the East Midlands? :aaa:

I reckon most immigrants will have sympathy for it and most crackers like me have been around immigrants of all kinds enough to know that that part of the Leave campaign is total bollocks.

My prediction is a very narrow Remain win, 51.8 against 48.1, spoiled ballots making up the remainder at around 0.3%.

Or that could just be wishful thinking because of the apocalyptic fallout which it would presage for the Tories.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Leicester is counted separately from Leicestershire on that map though, and is slightly less pro-EU.

Leicestershire is solidly Tory and full of farmers, people who don't like Asians, and Asian landlords who don't like proles. And villagers who don't like anyone from further than 10 miles away.

Oh huh I was not aware of that. In that case yeah I've got no idea, Leicestershire minus Leicester itself is a Tory shithole.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

How long did it take for you to get approved for GOR? I've been waiting for almost a year, I don't think it's gonna happen.

also; WHO DECIDED THIS

Took me about the time it required for the "You may do the thing" web page to load after I said "I wanna do the thing".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Barry Foster posted:

Hope is a mistake.

This, also unironically.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Barry Foster posted:

I wasn't being ironic

That's why I said "Also" rather than "But" :eng101:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's after midnight goons and goonettes, it's loving on :siren:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oberleutnant posted:

One thing we can say in favour of this mess: the entire world is loving making GBS threads itself about what we, a bunch of ugly, horrible, red-faced, drunken rustics are going to do today.

Finally, Grate Britaine is relevant again :britain: :britain:

Excuse me there are some rather attractive redheads in Scotland and Norn Iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

LeoMarr posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/21/david-cameron-interview-britain-will-push-for-freedom-of-movemen/

He also gave his clearest indication yet that he will attempt to re-unite the Tory party in the wake of the referendum by giving significant Cabinet jobs to both Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, the leaders of the Leave campaign.

Sounds like FFPMOUK Camoron is sweating the lead that leave has currently.

Do people realize that Leave is correct in that Britains soverignty is actually being eaten away?

It's not being "eaten away", there have been voluntary agreements whereby Parliament implements things agreed to by the EU as a whole. Indeed the very fact of this referendum demonstrates that it's not some subversive Brussels plot to slowly erode our sovverenty!

• Locked thread