Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Zephro posted:

I was thinking about this and I reckon most possible carnage is:

England votes Leave
Scotland and Northern Ireland vote heavily Remain
That all cancels to a tiny, tiny Leave majority
Which is then undone by Gibraltar's 30,000 people voting mostly Remain.
Remain take it by a gnat's whisker thanks to Scotland, NI and Gibraltar fractionally outweighing England.

By July England will have seceded from Scotland, voluntarily given Gibraltar back to Spain, unified the island of Ireland and will be screaming NO gently caress YOU DAD as it builds watchtowers and barbed-wire fences along Hadrian's Wall.

For bonus extra carnage:

Cameron falls and there's a general election. Labour under Corbyn runs on a "we'll undo the referendum vote and keep Britain in" platform. Labour wins a one-seat majority after three recounts in Sunderland or something and then some terrorist timid gardener assassinates another Labour MP.

Don't stop, I'm almost there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Ewan posted:

Even better are the handful of people unnironically using certain hashtags

In Belfast folks know

Maradona good
Pele Better
Penis Best

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Junior G-man posted:

Honestly did not see that coming. Because I don't live 2 years in the past (or however long that was).

It's been around for like a decade at this point. Bizarre thing to do.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Guavanaut posted:

Your username just reminded me that Theresa May banned catha edulis using the Lee Rigby murder as an excuse even though they had no loving connection at all. I'd forgot all about that until now.

I wonder what she's planning to ban while hiding behind the corpse of Jo Cox.

Is there anything loving left to ban after the legal high ban made anything with "psychoactive" properties illegal?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Josh Lyman posted:

That's how we do it in America :colbert:

If you want things in America and Britain to be done the same you all shouldn't have voted leave in 1776

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

happyhippy posted:

Aw man, imagine the massive orgasm that we will have when Gove and IDS resign this time tomorrow.
I'm starting to get a chubby already.

IDS resigned a while back, and Gove has signed a letter imploring Cameron to stay on as PM regardless of what the result is. I wouldn't be surprised if he's using that to make him look better if/when leave loses and he doesn't quit.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Tortuga posted:

Non-working class voter spotted

That would appear to be an American, and all Americans are middle class, thank you very much.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

sudo rm -rf posted:

did the remain campaign ever touch on the UK being the only major english-speaking country in the EU as kind of like, a gateway for doing business in the EU for all the other english-speaking countries in the world?

Ireland speaks English and has lower taxes, a whole load of American tech and pharma companies have an EU hq there.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

sudo rm -rf posted:

could the UK leaving lead to a complete breakup of the country

like would northern ireland stay if leave wins and scotland leaves?

NI is not going anywhere any time soon.

Although even if remain wins, the home secretary (and potential future tory leader & PM) Theresa May wants to rip up the European Convention on Human Rights, which the Belfast Agreement relies upon, so renegotiating that could be fun!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

sudo rm -rf posted:

ok this is kind of off-topic

but will NI and RoI ever unite? i read the good friday agreement and it made me wonder if the majority opinion in either countries have changed over the past 18 years

Not in the foreseeable future. The celtic tiger dying a horrible death didn't do much for nationalism. There have been a few polls which show that even a majority of Catholics would vote to stay in the UK in a border poll.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but UKIP is funnier since "UK Indepdence" is literally in the title.

What do you think the N in SNP stands for?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

kustomkarkommando posted:

Would just be Rockall with more angry apes

And an insane airport with traffic driving over its runways

Pretty sure that's the extent of what there is to know about Gibraltar.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
69 rejected ballots from Newcastle.

Not the first time I've heard 69 rejected KNOW WHAT I MEAN LADS

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

ReidRansom posted:

OK so I finally found a live solution, and you guys are freaking out over like 13 of nearly 400 places reporting and a mere 15,000 vote lead for dumb on 800,000 votes with like iunno 26,000,000 votes expected maybe?

If Vermont is the first state to report in November and it goes Republican, that would probably provoke a bit of a freak out despite it being only a single state with a small population, no?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

African AIDS cum posted:

You have to remember these brits are like 30 years behind the US in stuff like this and dental care etc so its refreshing to see them figure it out on their own

Good point, African AIDS cum.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

cravius posted:

Lol at the cowards, in any country, who talk about running away to another country if [politician I don't like] gets elected

You're right, we should let Mike Brexit serve his term and have our say again in a few years. That's exactly what's happening.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

MooCowlian posted:

Can we start typing in all caps yet?

The time for typing in all caps has passed.

The time for paying in bottle caps has begun.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Crameltonian posted:

If MI5 are meant to be rigging this thing they're doing a pretty shoddy job so far.

I would be surprised if MI5 were rigging the vote, but if they were, I wouldn't be at all shocked that they were doing a shite job.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Rakosi posted:

Because not everyone is voting because of economical reasons. Funny how the normal communists itt are coming out hard for capitalism right now hahah

Oh for real anti-capitalism was an option? They really should've been more clear on the ballot paper

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Benjamin Arthur posted:

they asked you if you want to be a member of an exploitative market entity, what did you need a picture of Marxs face next to leave?

wow, I'm gonna make a complaint. Looks like I was asked the wrong question!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Northjayhawk posted:

Another ignorant American who hasn't paid much attention to this. What little I've read, which is American-centric, says that from our selfish point of view, its best for us if they vote to remain even if there are defensible arguments to remain or leave from the point of view of British voters, but they don't usually elaborate other than saying we're on team remain. (Also Trump believes they should leave the EU, which makes that side automatically suspect even if I know nothing else)

What is the best reason from the point of view of someone living in London to vote to leave, and what is the best reason to vote to remain?

This is a pretty good resource to get breakdowns of the arguments from either side.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Brannock posted:

This is a nonbinding resolution -- if there's a Leave victory, and it's greater than like 1%, what would the political repercussions be if it was spurned by Britain's leaders?

It's nonbinding in the sense that no referendum can ever legally bind parliament (nothing can).

But effectively it would be insane political suicide to ignore the results.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Brannock posted:

Some of y'all really despise white people huh

Also as an Ignorant American, I'm stunned at how high the turnout has been for this. Our 2012 presidential election had 55% turnout. You guys are pulling close to 70%.

It's a very high turnout compared to general elections, and compared to the 2011 AV referendum.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Cactus posted:

Is turnout generally better in these things for those that want to change something compared to those that want the status quo kept? Because that was something one of my colleagues who also wants to remain was worried about, and it kinda makes sense anecdotally.

The status quo was supported in the AV and Scottish independence referendums.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

ro5s posted:

Where did they find the most tory sounding dickhead in the country.

Jacob Rees Mogg is the Member of Parliament for the version of England that exists in primarily in Americans' heads.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Rookersh posted:

At this point does it matter?

England does not leave this with a functioning economy. Even if Remain wins, it's going to lead to a recession now, and it'll be a recession tied to Cameron/the Remain party because people are stupid. How long will it take for the Pound to recover? More accurately, tonight is showing that England has absolutely zero unity when it comes to the EU, and deserves absolutely no power over any regulations proceedings. This leaves England as a petulant child in global relations to pretty much everyone, even America is calling England out over tonight.

Even if Remain wins now, it looks like England is absolutely hosed.

*Ahem*, I believe what you mean to say is that the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is absolutely hosed, thank you very much.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Ireland to vote on unification. We are literally witnessing the end of the UK tonight

https://twitter.com/Asher_Wolf/status/746181390069202944

Marty saying there should be a border poll=/=There will be a vote

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

William Bear posted:

All our hopes now rest in Northern Ireland.

lol

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

lfield posted:

So how bound is the government by the referendum? Can they say nah, gently caress that, we're not leaving, despite the vote?

They're not at all. Nothing can bind parliament, legally.

But if they say "gently caress that" they're basically writing a suicide note for their party. And a good portion of the party are pro-Brexit anyway. So...

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
https://twitter.com/M1ke5myth/status/746134629174882305

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Kaislioc posted:

That's a very good point, goddamnedtwisto. However, you appear to have forgotten that we are GREAT Britain and that this GREAT nation is the *checks numbers* 5th, no 6th, uh, are we 7th now? I've lost track of what I was saying.

The GDP thing is bollocks, just so you know

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

ChipNDip posted:

"We're gonna sink" :roflolmao: :roflolmao: :roflolmao: :roflolmao:

We wouldn't want Britain to go the way of Guam, would we

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Deptfordx posted:

My Dad had the rare foresight to be born in the Republic so I qualify for fast track citizenship. Have been weighing options all week.

Don't know what you mean by fast track citizenship. If a parent was born in Ireland, you don't have to go through any process to claim citizenship, you are automatically citizen.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Payndz posted:

Hmm, my mum was born in Scotland, so if the Scots get independence I wonder if I can claim citizenship?

Assuming they take the same approach they laid out prior to the last independence referendum, yeah, you could register.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

lfield posted:

I've seen the Chilcot report mentioned a few times as a reasoning for the timing of the attempted PLP coup.

What do we think about this? I see the argument that maybe they want someone pro-Blair in the top job when it comes out, but I'm not sure how damaging it will be to any current members of the party. I also think they'd want him gone regardless, so if it is having an effect I'm not sure how big it is.

Maybe the PLP just thinks that having a leader loudly condemn decisions made by the party hurts their electability more generally than making any particular member look bad.

Although that hasn't stopped half the party from engaging in a competition to shout the loudest about how wrong Labour got it on spending and immigration, I guess.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Kurtofan posted:

im the artifacts

Watch out, if Corbyn gets his way you'll be sent back to Greece.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hilary Benn would never cry out for daddy

Benn actually has a bit of an Underwood thing going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weea3dQoqKk

Also fits with his whole "being a pale imitation of the original" vibe.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Sewer Adventure posted:

Got trolled so hard by a fascist relative posting this picture on Facebook. I never reply to this poo poo normally. Ugh.

You know, I would be pretty interested in seeing how people old enough to have actually fought in or remember living through through WWII voted compared to the rest of the 65+ demographic they're lumped together with.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Yinlock posted:

There's a "unique" brand of individual, usually raised by racists, that knows thanks to society that "racism bad" but doesn't know what racism actually is.

It's why you get the occasional straight-up "I'm not racist but black people are the worst"

There's a video up on the BBC news site with reactions to the referendum result, and one person who was happy with it was a guy with a swastika tattoo who swore he wasn't a racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

tooterfish posted:

It's not even funny. There's a very real chance this is the spark that could reignite the troubles in NI.

No there isn't.

• Locked thread