Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Welcome to the misery everyone.

I'm hoping we Remain, but everyone who votes Leave has to move to the Falklands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm probating the next person who continues this stupid numbers discussion.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Don't watch When the Wind Blows, it is far too depressing to recommend.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-a7066596.html

quote:

Mr McBride, who now works for shadow Defence Secretary Emily Thornberry, accidentally posted a private message on Twitter that appeared to show him advising Tory cabinet minister Michael Gove.

The spin doctor, who was sacked by Mr Brown, posted the message which read: “V good! BTW, I'll email you another VAT-related idea this evening. Just in case there's a day/interview where MG is looking for a new line.”

If I ever become a politician I'm continuing my policy of never using Twitter.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Maybe if the poor suffer enough everyone will finally see the error of their ways! Like when immigrant children were found dying on our shores and the relentless rhetoric against immigrants stopped for at least a whole week.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This EU Ref is giving me a taste of how American's must feel about Trump, that creeping feeling of "Wait this is still just a joke right? They wouldn't really do it would they?"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The one and only thing that will take the edge off a Leave vote is getting to see Cameron's face when he has to announce it. I've never seen the eyes of someone as they try to come to terms with how they'll forever go down in history as the dickhead who finally hosed everything up, so it'll be an experience.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The SNP should vote Remain because it’s a winner for them no matter what.

If the Remain vote wins without Scotland’s help, then at least they maintained integrity and no one will give a poo poo about Scotland.
If the Leave vote wins, they needed to vote Remain to make a case for independence.
However the best scenario is if the Remain Vote wins only because of Scotland and we’ll get the absolutely loving hilarious sight of the Leave side arguing for Scottish independence immediately.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tesseraction posted:

The alt-right is an attempt at right-wing intellectualism by people who aren't very clever. Sadly the deadline has passed but there was a KickStarter by an American Marxist analysing the origins and themes of the neoreactionary alt-right. Due to stretch goals he'll also be publishing analyses on Trump, GamerGate, Lizardpeople Conspiracy Theorists like Icke, and TERFs.

Check the pitch to see his typical sardonic style.

Oh poo poo it's Roko's Basilisk, my favorite bit of Internet Nerd Rationalist nonsense .

I don't really care about Moldburg but I'll always be up for reading more about time traveling torture AI's that wants to punish nerds for absolutely no good reason.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

I used to enjoy some of their articles, mostly the ones about Bayes being properly applied to things like risk and cancer diagnosis, and some of the ones about semantics. I never read the comments though, I guess they found their hammer in Bayes and everything was a nail to be pounded with little consideration for the priors.

I do love some math, but when your approach to Bayes theorem is "We can just make up priors until I'm always right, it's perfect!" that's really not how it's meant to be used.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

haakman posted:

I'm talking about a specific type of person - they are a libertarian, they hate Government. They believe everything is a rational transaction.

Don't waste your time. You can't kick water uphill.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jose posted:

is this by the guy who hated monkeys so performed loads of "research" on them that was mostly just abusing them?

It's possibly a bastardization of a real experiment by G Stephenson in 1966 where they were blasted with air if they touched an object. Though in that experiment the monkeys never actually beat each other and while one pair did make faces to stop a new monkey touching the object, others didn't care and some even touched it just to show how little of a poo poo they gave about the air blasts so it was pretty inconclusive as experiments go.

So in this case the monkeys are fine.

Edit: In 1966 three monkeys work together to try claim a banana hung from the ceiling in what can only be described as some kind of Pyramid Scheme.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It was truly a musical masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevzIXAtX2g

I always felt Kojima's writing was complete paranoid conspiracy nut nonsense, but now I know it was actually just the precursor to the EU referendum debate. Kojima tried to warn us.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think it's only funny because we're not in the US. Point blank it's probably a lot less funny.

As far as I'm aware though Obama has never hosed a dead pig's head and therefore we are still winning.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aren't northern and western Wales among the biggest recipients of EU grant money?

Yes but most people in Wales live in the South, which doesn't get as much. South Wales and North Wales don't really see eye to eye on much except "gently caress the Tories"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

dispatch_async posted:

What does a "global solution" to a global problem look like? Solving global warming with a giant space mirror?

Well the Dinosaur problem got fixed pretty good, let's try that.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tesseraction posted:

"vote Labour, get SNP"

For many Scottish Labour voters this was true.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tesseraction posted:

The adverts were only shown in England. :P

I'm not surprised the Conservatives didn't know where Scotland was.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Of all that things that decide this EU referendum I don't think Facts are going to be it. It's coming down to us finding out which scares the UK more, Foreigners or Change.

Before I get lectures, yes I know there are Goons who don't think this way and are actually informed, but the amount of people who actually know anything in this vote is going to be a pretty insignificant minority that neither side is going to think is worth campaigning for.

Democracy woo!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Spangly A posted:

I really don't understand why people get weird about the EU being "unelected". You don't elect the other thousand odd seats in parliament either, you elect one. You have the same vote for the EU. Pretending arbitrary national borders are somehow different to arbitrary constituency borders is bizarre

It's been weird the whole way.

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/701734838756368388

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Corbyn's come out today with a strongly relatable "Both sides of the In and Out debate are being utter dicks" argument.

Also Corbyn sees the Conservative hard helmet photo op and raises them a bandana.

Tom Watson in the second one cracks me up just looking at it. I don't get why, someone help explain.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Also the line up for tonight's Question Time

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkiNgC-XAAEIDGw.jpg:large

Nigel Farage and Eddie Izzard on one panel should be something to behold :dance:

Come join us on the IRC channel that's in the OP for live goon complaining about EU chat and the opportunity to say poo poo to me I can't actually probate you for.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have to cover your hair to go to the Sikh party?

Yes, you must cover your head to visit a Gurdwara.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Everyone but Pissflaps gets banned.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

:magical:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tesseraction posted:

Oh gently caress you it is amazing and you are totally in for a fuckbarrelling for suggesting it's not.

I always saw :magical: as being awed with wonder, not horrified.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Speaking of things that happen frustratingly often.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-british-public-wrong-about-nearly-everything-survey-shows-a7074311.html

quote:

EU referendum: British public wrong about nearly everything, survey shows

Add it to the pile.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

icantfindaname posted:

Lol you idiots are actually going to vote to leave aren't you?

Probably not. Much like they always are with UKIP I think the polls are way off on this one.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's way too late to rehabilitate the Remain argument when the Conservatives have been pushing Immigration and Benefits as the cause of all ours ills for decades.

It's like that story of the Boy Who Called Wolf, where eventually the Mayor was kicked out of his position for failing to do anything to deal with the Wolf threat everyone's been hearing so much about. The town voted in new Mayors with increasingly defiant claims that they would finally stop the Wolves and one day a now grown up Boy will try to tell people that Wolves aren't actually native to the UK and will be roundly told to gently caress off with that Wolf loving bullshit.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

HJB posted:

By the way, since this is pretty much the only pro-Remain location I know of, either online or IRL, what is the "official" response to the claim that British people have been forced out of building etc. jobs because Polish workers have come over and taken them on low wages, since even minimum wage is a small fortune to them, and so British workers literally cannot afford to take on these jobs because the wages are so poor?

If your job can be replaced by a Polish Worker on minimum wage what were you even doing that paid more than minimum wage yet was completely unskilled?

This argument is arguing that there used to be these fantasy jobs out there, like a packing plant that paid £10 an hour before the Polish came along and ruined it for everybody.

Fans fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 13, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well if people were wondering how Corbyn could win in 2020 this whole thing is shaping up to be how. Because it's hard to see how Conservatives could keep the wheels on in the event of Brexit. They'd spend years in negotiations (At the very least 2 years) with pissed off Brexiters going "WHY ISN'T IT DONE YET?" every week while the economy goes to poo poo because who the gently caress even knows what the UK is doing anymore.

That's if they don't decide to just ignore the result and stay in anyway, which'd be equally damaging.

Still not going to be pleasant for all the people hosed over by it, so it's hard to take much satisfaction over the Conservatives finally loving themselves into a hedge.

My bets still on Remain winning though. Pollsters seems full of poo poo on this one.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Not Operator posted:

He drew political correctness as a shark, a much maligned creature commonly thought to be a dangerous threat to humans, despite this being demonstrably untrue. The misapprehension was caused by popular media and a few overhyped news stories embedding the idea into public consciousness, followed by years of common sense spread by people who haven't thought very hard about what they're really afraid of.

I can't exactly say "a good cartoon" though, because the rest is a garbage fire.

The cartoonish fears of the Right will drive the EU off the edge of the waterfall while they row away thinking they've won but they're clearly not going to be able to row against the tide and will follow them off the edge fairly soon after. A Good Cartoon.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/743025898937548800

This whole thing might make the tedious EU debate worth sitting through.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

peanut- posted:

No, years of government assiduously ignoring the impact of immigration on working class voters and dismissing all of their concerns as racist is what has gotten us to this point.

Are we listening to the same government? "It's immigrants and benefit cheats fault the economy is hosed, not austerity or corporate greed" has been their tag line for ages.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Tories could ignore the referendum but that'd be stupid. Instead they'll do what they always do when they're forced to do something they don't like. gently caress it up on purpose, claim it's clearly unworkable and by then public opinion will have shifted enough no one gives a poo poo anymore.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Doctors have her and say her condition is "Life threatening" so nobody knows for now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jose posted:

its extremely close and could well swing to leave winning before the vote but bookies invest huge amounts of money to ensure they don't lose money

The Bookies ensure they don't lose money by making sure they make money no matter who wins.

If everyone is piling money on one side that sides odds will shrink so bookies avoid huge losses in case they win, no matter how unlikely.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I don't know the motivations behind this whole hosed up event but whatever they are this is just miserable.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

JFairfax posted:

you'd all be over the moon if it was Gove or Osborne that got offed

I'm the kind of bleeding heart lefty who doesn't want anyone to die, not even shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Oberleutnant posted:

If you think of yourself as a "lefty" who would like justice but only it it can be achieved quietly, peacably, and without inconvenience i'm afraid you're politically useless.

I think there's a middle ground between "Not inconveniencing anyone" and "Murder"

• Locked thread