Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Metrication posted:

i wonder what happens if the result of the referendum is a very close vote for leave, eg 51 v 49. will cameron attempt to engineer remaining (we will go back to the negotiating table for a better deal)? it would certainly be the end of him but it's not a clear mandate to go. and similarly if it was the reverse then you can probably guarantee another referendum in the near future (and the total implosion of the tories)

I think a leave result will prompt spin that the British Public have said no to 'the current arrangements', a round of hasty re-negotiations with the EU, and a second referendum within six months.

I think a close stay result will leave Brexit Tories feeling vindicated in continuing to whine about the EU, but no imminent second referendum on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

nopantsjack posted:

I think its reasonably likely Remain wins by a decent margin but its also very possible we get a Scots Referendum type scenario where its actually very close,

The Scottish Referendum result wasn't close, let alone very close.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's a great joke I'm not surprised you use it often.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

It was literally 5% away from being 50/50. How the gently caress can you be in denial over that.

But it wasn't. Yes lost by 10%. That's not close.

If you want close, look to the last Quebec independence referendum result. That was close.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

44.7% to 50.1% to win is 5.4%, If Yes lost by 10% that would mean the vote total for Yes is 39.7%

If you keep the actual Yes Vote result at 44.7% while saying they lost by 10% that means they would of had to reach 10.9% which would put the amount of votes for Yes at 55% and No Vote as 45% to win it which isn't part of the condition otherwise you would have the total votes be 105% for the current voting results if Yes lost by 10% which isn't mathimatically possible in a referendum..

The difference between 45 and 55 is 10.

I haven't the foggiest what you're talking about in this post.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Syriza's referendum was 60-40 and was regarded as 'close'.

By who? I think you've made this up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I sense you feel you're making a coherent argument.

You're not. This is nonsense.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Fifty five minus forty five is ten.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

What's weird about saying if 5% of voters had said Yes instead of No then Scotland would be independent?

Nothing.

The problem is then concluding that the gap between the two votes was this lower number, rather than the ten it was.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Acaila posted:

The figure in question isn't the difference between the two, but the swing necessary for a different result. It's really quite simple.

What do you consider to be the figure 'in question'?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

The gap between the two sides is 10% yes but the gap for Yes to have won was 5.1% so Yes lost by 5.1%

No. They lost by 10%.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Fellow posters, I have discovered a piece of string, we must determine its length, for once this is decided, all else can be rendered important!

Whatever the length of the string is, divide by two to divine it's true length.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm tee total.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If Corbyn is the leader at the next election I won't vote Tory, but I probably won't vote Labour either.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Miftan posted:

I was mistaken, this is the best one.

It's not that good though really is it. I doubt i'm the only average family guy that feels this way.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's funny to think that only 10 years ago both the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition's constituencies were within 20 minute's drive of where I live.

Now it's just a couple of blokes from down south. Disengaging.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

Wasn't Cameron the leader of the opposition 10 years ago?

Hmm make that 15.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Why stop there?

quote:

“He looks scruffy. He never seems like he’s presentable. He looks very drawn, and like he needs a good dinner. I know he’s argumentative.” Female participant

“I know you’re hounded by the press and stuff when you walk out of somewhere, but he’s got no like grace about him, just head down quite standoff-ish.” Female participant

“If he was going to be the leader [at the next election] I wouldn’t use my vote. I’d want Labour in but with a new leader so I’d just leave my vote.” Female participant

“You want a charismatic leader and to me he’s more like Worzel Gummidge.” Female participant

“I just don’t see how he could ever persuade me. He could give me free child care and I still couldn’t vote for him” Female participant

“He’s quite anti-royal. He’s like an old schoolteacher type; you expect patches on his elbows. Male participant

“He’s scruffy. Imagine him in the White House. Like someone who got lost on the tour or something.” Male participant

“His leadership skills are questionable. He just doesn’t stand out. I think he did a lot of damage when he didn’t sing the national anthem.” Male participant

No prizes for guessing who they're talking about.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think you should confront the people accusing you of committing a criminal offence.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Do you think the tax credit cuts would have been opposed with a Blairite in charge?

When do you think Tax Credits were created?

Corbyn's done a pretty good job of being a voice of dissent.

He's doing a shite job.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Igiari posted:

Shouldn't you be evaluating the merits of the candidates for your local MP, given the way our parliamentary system works? Unless you live in Islington, but I'm not sure that you do.

An utterly bovine comment.

The Perfect Element posted:

Hi thread, I've got a bit of a difficult situation that some of you may be able to advise me about.

Another thing: I think you should consider the possibility that your friend did steal something without you being aware.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/738344142045077505

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't get it?

I think the intention is that Corbyn wasn't clear but I think some of those questions are from people who didn't watch/listen?

I think the take home message is that many people are unsure about Corbyn's stance on this subject. Possibly because he's been largely irrelevant throughout the referendum campaign.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

pissflaps puts his hands back in the ice bucket to prepare them for a few more hours of wringing

I'm not wringing my hands about it. I'm resigned to at least another nine years of Tory government.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Obviously a hot topic

Do you think Google are lying?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Phoon posted:

I suspect the number of people who asked any of those questions was very low

If so, what does that say about Corbyn?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
So the idea is that not many people are interested in finding out more about Corbyn's latest speech, and the few that are are confused about what he thinks and don't use Google properly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

What do you imagine the Venn diagram of 'people who are interested in watching a particular politician make a speech' versus 'people who aren't already clued into that person's media machine' would look like?

Most people are going to just read what the papers say he said, not watch the speech live.

Isn't it Corbyn's strategy to avoid the press and speak to people directly?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The people he's speaking to directly don't need to Google where to watch his speech, because his team told them on Facebook and Twitter.

The people who already support him I see.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If you're pinning your hopes of Corbyn's success on the subset of a few thousand facebook followers that happen to be undecided voters then Labour is more hosed than I imagined.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

They're both from Google Trends and don't technically contradict each other, bit soon for you to point the finger

Who did I point a finger at?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

The good people at Google Corp

No I didn't.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Mam's voting leave because "It's time britain took back britain."

His position is the least honest of any of the main figures of this referendum.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I think you and your friend went shoplifting and you've been caught.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

My car got broken into through a window at one point and I lived a few houses away from the Police Station. It took them over thirty minutes to get to my car.

This was back in the mid 2000s. God knows how long it would take now.

Thirty minutes doesn't sound long for the police to respond to a car that's been broken in to.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Well that's quite a story.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Who's the oval office, what is it's name.

Sure if you're quite a distance away.

Except it was on the same street a few houses away.

Did you expect a SWAT team or something?

Cerv posted:

i like how you asked the thread for advice, everyone told you the same thing then you did the opposite

He apparently can't remember if he shoplifted or not. I don't think he's in the best frame of mind.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Testro posted:

It wasn't an interrogation; I just find it bizarre that anyone would genuinely not remember forgetting their wallet at a checkout. Routine events tend to blur into one, but when something out of the ordinary happens, you tend to remember it.

(I actually posted because I thought the comment about a paper trail would be helpful.)

You're right. His story doesn't add up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

Are you avin a laugh? Its probably them what loving done it

Yeah this is definitely true. Most home burglaries are carried out by police officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Dont break the law, lads

Or if you do, claim you can't remember doing it. Its that one weird trick. The CPS hates this guy.

• Locked thread