Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Roman Reigns is Windows 10.

I don't care how good he is, I don't care how much more reliable he is, I don't care that he puts out solid matches on PPV.

I care that WWE is doing everything that they can to get people to accept him and can't grasp the concept that people might not want him, to the point of media manipulation and shoving him down people's throats instead of letting him prove himself over time.

Also, I bet Roman uses Bing.

X X X X X

Roman Reigns is Phil Kessel.

Ask him to be The Guy and he's top notch but will always have a stigma around him that will cause people to blame him when things go wrong.

Ask him to be one Guy among many and he's capable of being a solid player with frequent amazing moments that will win the fans over.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
People who keep harping about how handsome he is or how he has "the look" well , uh really? What about him is attractive or appealing? To me Roman Reigns has the opposite of the look and is actually pretty disgusting and the female friends who watch RAW occasionally with me or pop in to comment agree as well, comments i usually get are about how he's got the long nappy black hair that's always half wet and gross and a goofy goatee that make him look like he first started growing facial hair in high school. He looks like he should be in a performing in a metal video from 1993, working in a factory that manufactures sparks with his cargo utility pants. I suppose it's a caveman look or something but the appeal is just so dated to me and feels really sleazy. Whenever he does his stupid smile i just think what's up with those buck teeth caveman? Apparently he's also really self-conscious about his torso which is why the vest probably wont be going anywhere anytime soon. That's your handsome champion with "the look" lol whatta jabroni

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Roman is a big reason why I stopped watching WWE on a regular basis, so no, he's not good.

:boom:

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
He's boring as hell and deeply unlikeable.

Edit:

Sanguinia sums up a lot of my thoughts on the guy real well. Good post.

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 1, 2016

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

That DICK! posted:

roman should drive a segway to the ring

edit: and away from the ring. the match should end and he should immediately get on the segway
A Paul Blart gimmick suits him nicely

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

JOHN CENA posted:

It really feels like contrarianism and some leftover resentment that Roman got the nod as "the guy" over Daniel Bryan, and with all of the injuries Bryan kept getting, I would have gone with that decision as well and I've been a fan of Bryan's for over a decade. I've been saying forever Roman is good and a good champion. His matches have shown it over and over, and will continue to show. He's already ahead of Cena in terms of match quality when Cena was having his first major run, and he also has a number of great foils to work with which is only going to add to the longevity of his career.

As one of the rare people that thinks Daniel Bryan's peak was Team Hell No and doesn't care for wacky-line Ambrose, this isn't it at all for me. I don't like Roman because his vest looks stupid, cocking his fist is stupid, his promos are garbage, and WWE sabotages other parts of their programming to make him look better. As part of the Shield, or someone not pushed to the moon, or even in a different promotion he would be entertaining at worst and potentially awesome. WWE should have Naito'd him at Wrestlemania.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
in your world roman reigns well in my world no man reigns

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think Roman needs a heel run similar to The Rock after his "Die Rocky, Die" phase or Kevin Nash after he jumped to WCW.

Dude's a natural smug entitled prick. Let him run with that for six months or a year and then turn him face again. It's not like with Cena where he was getting huge merch sales, PPV boosts and ratings increases that make keeping him face the smart business decision despite what reaction he gets.

Other than his booking and interviews where he sounds like a whiny pissbaby I quite like Roman Reigns and wish him all the best.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He is handsome and strong and has a bunch of friends. If this was junior high I'd be following him around and sometimes I do something dumb that makes him laugh so I get to hang out with him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

He is handsome and strong and has a bunch of friends. If this was junior high I'd be following him around and sometimes I do something dumb that makes him laugh so I get to hang out with him.

well we've figured out why kids like him at least

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
but what overwatch hero is roman???? I think most would probably say bastion because he annoys them a lot and has lovely match finishes but I think hes more of a junkrat because the spear makes me think of his tire ult. also he manages to look good while not really doing much that's that complicated if everyone else around him is good.

thanks for reading my post

Golashes fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 1, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
CM Punk is Tracer because there was a lot of controversy over his butt.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Golashes posted:

but what overwatch hero is roman???? I think most would probably say bastion because he annoys them a lot and has lovely match finishes but I think hes more of a junkrat because the spear makes me think of his tire ult. also he manages to look good while not really doing much that's that complicated if everyone else around him is good.

thanks for reading my post

roman is D.Va because even though he's ineffectual, adds nothing to the table, is all style no substance, and is actually a bottom tier herowrestler, he still always seems to get :potg:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Roman is a good wrestler but they hosed up his booking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Who do you like better John Cena or Roman Reigns?

John Cena. As good as Roman Reigns is he's not as good as Best Wrestler in the World Candidate (BWITWC) John Cena.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He's real good op.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Roman is fine in the ring. His matches are always a lot of gimmicks and rest breaks though. He has a decent grasp of psychology and he doesn't look lost in the ring, but he is never the dude I'm wanting to watch in the ring. His persona is so loving grating though. That catchphrase is such a garbage catchphrase, and the worst part of him is that he isn't over. You can say what you will about Cena but even with being booed for the better part of a decade, Cena is over and knows how to work a crowd.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Roman Reigns is a good wrestler, a great heel, an okay tweener, and an awful, awful face.

I dislike him because of his booking and what his continued push says about the prospects of other potential top stars who I'd like to see featured more; in isolation, he's actually extremely loving good at playing a smug, self-assured champion. If the WWE would stop pretending that the boos aren't boos and that people don't dislike Reigns, there's a whole hell of a lot of potential for him to lose to and completely skyrocket the popularity of, say, Rollins or Ambrose.

The problem is that there's no real hope of anything changing. Vince seems dead set on feeding wrestlers to Roman, resulting in great matches but a barren top of the card. His continued, single hold on the position of top face (instead of, say, sharing the limelight with others: I know the WWE doesn't do this, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't) means that crowd favorites (like Ambrose during the build to mania, for instance) get shunted off into the upper midcard, fall prey to the 50-50 booking there, and lose all positive momentum (again, like Ambrose.)

Roman's problem, in my eyes, isn't his weak mic skills or his petulant interviews, it's that he's blocking the way (through no fault of his own: it's the booking) for other talented wrestlers. He could also stand to lose at some point, ever, so that all his matches aren't foregone conclusions–it just robs all the suspense from them.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like Roman, more than Cena tbh.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure people were ready to hate Roman as soon as he got tagged as the future back when he was in FCW. It didn't really matter what he did, he was hosed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Saying that WWE is poorly booking the Rock/Foley-like 1a/1b face roles is fair enough, but it never stops amazing me that people will point out that people like Ambrose and Styles lose too often, and then suggest that the top face in the company should take more clean pins.

e) idk if this is a controversial statement but i think everyone knowing the outcome of a match beforehand matters much less than people think. if you listed the 100 best matches ever (please don't do this) or whatever, i'd wager that like 80% of them, everyone pretty much knew the outcome going in.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 1, 2016

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Alain Post posted:

Saying that WWE is poorly booking the Rock/Foley-like 1a/1b face roles is fair enough, but it never stops amazing me that people will point out that people like Ambrose and Styles lose too often, and then suggest that the top face in the company should take more clean pins.

Roman hasn't been pinned cleanly in a singles match longer than special appearance SNK boss Brock Lesnar's current three year long streak.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Alain Post posted:

e) idk if this is a controversial statement but i think everyone knowing the outcome of a match beforehand matters much less than people think. if you listed the 100 best matches ever (please don't do this) or whatever, i'd wager that like 80% of them, everyone pretty much knew the outcome going in.

It's more about the opponent not getting their heat back. It's always the problem with Cena. He gets fed the monster of the week beats them and then they fly back down to the mid card. Instead of building a real rivalry where the heel keeps getting one over on the face. That way when they do the blowoff match we want to see the face win. It's booking 101. But we have seen before that WWE doesn't know how to tell the most basic stories.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
give Roman Heyman as a manager when brock's not around and that's like half his booking problems solved right there

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I'm pretty sure people were ready to hate Roman as soon as he got tagged as the future back when he was in FCW. It didn't really matter what he did, he was hosed.
I dunno, I remember the crowd being very hot for Reigns in the 2014 Royal Rumble. Of course, WWE decided to book Batista for the win, who basically got booed the gently caress out of the building after he eliminated Reigns.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

that's actually kevin owens, meta-heeling.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
roman reigns is a good wrestler and has at least another year's worth of more-talented people to carry him to good matches before he has to start wrestling the miz

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The_Rob posted:

It's more about the opponent not getting their heat back. It's always the problem with Cena. He gets fed the monster of the week beats them and then they fly back down to the mid card. Instead of building a real rivalry where the heel keeps getting one over on the face. That way when they do the blowoff match we want to see the face win. It's booking 101. But we have seen before that WWE doesn't know how to tell the most basic stories.
Theres also the fact that just about every opponent Cena goes up against never comes out of it looking strong or compelling, and Cena gains gently caress all because hes well established anyway. This will probably happen with Reigns eventually if they persist with him. I mean AJ comes out of their fued looking weaker, and Reigns is on the exact same level he was before things got started.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Miz would get Roman over as a face but everyone would go back to hating him the moment the feud ended.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Styles is absolutely in better shape than he was after that lovely rear end Jericho feud but tbf Jericho stinks

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I don't understand this point. What I'm saying is that on the current roster I could probably name like 15 guys who are better at wrestling than Roman is and it's bullshit that a man like him is on top given the depth of the talent pool. And Jesus Christ if you think Roman is fine at talking then your perception of reality is so different to my own that I'm not convinced we live on the same planet.

The look is horseshit because a troll with a hugeass beard was the most popular face in recent memory. It's an antiquated conception of what sells to a modern market that should have died long ago.

I don't think there are fifteen guys and I don't think any one of the less than fifteen guys would be better suited for the top spot. Also we live on the same planet but your appraisal of Roman's talking is filtered under a lens of bitterness. He talks fine, when not given dumb lines, he could be better for sure.

The look ain't antiquated neither. Bryan had a boat load of charisma, which factors into the whole look thing. Roman has charisma too, just in a Jeff Hardy or Undertaker sense, in that his presence itself lends legitimacy. And he talks better than either of them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sam bradford lmao posted:

I dunno, I remember the crowd being very hot for Reigns in the 2014 Royal Rumble. Of course, WWE decided to book Batista for the win, who basically got booed the gently caress out of the building after he eliminated Reigns.

The crowd was pretty hot for Roman in 2014 up until he had to get surgery so his intestines could be untangled from his spine.

It wasn't until he returned around the same time as Bryan that things went south because the fans wanted to see Daniel Bryan in the WM ME and WWE didn't want to put Bryan back into the ME so soon after his surgeries and concussion issues.

Turns out that they were probably right on that, but it poisoned Roman's crowd reactions.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Alain Post posted:

Styles is absolutely in better shape than he was after that lovely rear end Jericho feud but tbf Jericho stinks

How dare you

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I think I like Roman better than Ambrose now but by like i mean enjoy hating

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Roman is bad I guess idk but so is wrestling but bad in a positive way

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Roman only has 3 moves which is somehow less than John Cena. It seems the less moves you had = better than in Vince's eyes so I can't wait for a guy who wins every match by just posing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

That DICK! posted:

roman should drive a segway to the ring

edit: and away from the ring. the match should end and he should immediately get on the segway

Give Roman Reigns Simon Dean's gimmick and maybe I'd root for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-escNt4htCw&t=24s

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Peanut President posted:

Roman only has 3 moves which is somehow less than John Cena. It seems the less moves you had = better than in Vince's eyes so I can't wait for a guy who wins every match by just posing.

Chris Masters was ahead of his time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Amount of moves guy can do doesn't matter.

• Locked thread