Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That DICK! posted:

Roman should have a floating little alien buddy named Romulan Reigns that only he and the audience can see

I thought that's what they were going for pairing him with Dean :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Roman Reigns is a good wrestler who is horribly miscast

Let's see:

His look is good, but he looks like a dick. He should be a heel. It's like making Diesel a face and how it ruined him. And Roman Reigns isn't nearly as likable as 'Big Sexy'

His personality is basically being a petulant dick who doesn't care about people. (Except his uces of course) This would be great as a heel. The whole 'gently caress you I'm too cool for this but then I'm also a badass who wins anyway' makes people hate him as a face, imagine how it would work as a heel.

He's a perfectly good wrestler, but he doesn't fit as a face at all. No one wants to see Roman Reigns sell all match. Even his best face matches have been when it's AJ Styles or someone bumping around for him and letting him be the guy getting the heat. The WWE formula is for a face to sell all match and then make a big comeback, this does not suit Roman Reigns (or with all apologizes to Ricky Steamboat, most modern fans)

He is also overshadowed by too many people. Making him the new John Cena is mind bogglingly dumb when the real John Cena is still around being better at it than him. People like the rest of the Shield more than him.

His ring attire sucks. His theme sucks. His promos suck.

Just let him be the smirking badass heel and he'd probably end up getting over huge as a face. But his current character is garbage and he's going to keep getting booed forever even if he becomes a cross between Michaels and Misawa in the ring.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Drop the tacticool look and give Roman a ladies man gimmick. Ravishing Roman Reigns complete with custom airbrushed tights and sexy saxophone entrance music.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Roman Reigns is a good wrestler who is horribly miscast

Let's see:

His look is good, but he looks like a dick. He should be a heel. It's like making Diesel a face and how it ruined him. And Roman Reigns isn't nearly as likable as 'Big Sexy'

His personality is basically being a petulant dick who doesn't care about people. (Except his uces of course) This would be great as a heel. The whole 'gently caress you I'm too cool for this but then I'm also a badass who wins anyway' makes people hate him as a face, imagine how it would work as a heel.

He's a perfectly good wrestler, but he doesn't fit as a face at all. No one wants to see Roman Reigns sell all match. Even his best face matches have been when it's AJ Styles or someone bumping around for him and letting him be the guy getting the heat. The WWE formula is for a face to sell all match and then make a big comeback, this does not suit Roman Reigns (or with all apologizes to Ricky Steamboat, most modern fans)

He is also overshadowed by too many people. Making him the new John Cena is mind bogglingly dumb when the real John Cena is still around being better at it than him. People like the rest of the Shield more than him.

His ring attire sucks. His theme sucks. His promos suck.

Just let him be the smirking badass heel and he'd probably end up getting over huge as a face. But his current character is garbage and he's going to keep getting booed forever even if he becomes a cross between Michaels and Misawa in the ring.

That's the thing I've said about him before. The reason he sucks as a face is because he is the least relatable face in a long time. He is a good looking strong man who was explicitly told to us by the company that he was always going to be a star. There was never a moment where he wasn't going to be a big star. Especially when they were pushing him as anti establishment Roman. How was the audience supposed to buy him as anti establishment anti hero when we all know the establishment wanted him on top.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

super macho dude posted:

Drop the tacticool look and give Roman a ladies man gimmick. Ravishing Roman Reigns complete with custom airbrushed tights and sexy saxophone entrance music.

Romance Reigns.

LanceBurrito
Jan 6, 2013
Much like Cena, he'll eventually have enough excellent matches that people will remember that he's the common factor in them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LanceBurrito posted:

Much like Cena, he'll eventually have enough excellent matches that people will remember that he's the common factor in them.

Yet he won't have even a third of the natural charisma that Cena has.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Roman is strong, but he is also bad.

Roman is StrongBad.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Mate if you think Rollins is a worse worker than Reigns then I have literally no idea what to say to you.

He's right.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Roman Reigns is good!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If Roman could get over maybe he would be fine, but he's not over. So he is bad.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Roman's gimmick could be massively improved (with both live fans and TV audiences) if they just made it so that whenever he opened his mouth bees flew out.

Beads?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Roman is strong, but he is also bad.

Roman is StrongBad.

Strongbad could cut a promo.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Big Dog has freed up my WWE watching time for better things. He is good.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Y'know maggle, all these posts show that Reigns has captured the full attention of the Wwe universe.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Roman is a guy who should, by all rights, be a bland midcarder who eventually ends up in TNA except he is related to the Rock so they are trying to capture that lighting in a bottle again.

See also: the Uso's.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

spudsbuckley posted:

Roman is a guy who should, by all rights, be a bland midcarder who eventually ends up in TNA except he is related to the Rock so they are trying to capture that lighting in a bottle again.

Racist.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

spudsbuckley posted:

He is the Matt Morgan of this generation.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

Durrrrrrrrrrrr

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my "big secret" is that whenever i see or hear raymond james stadium i can't help replacing it with roman reigns stadium, in me ticker.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Being the best wrestler has almost never been that important when deciding who the top guy is. Hogan, Rock, Cena. They all had tons of guy around them who could work better. The closer you get to the top, the more you need other attributes other than putting on a 4 star performance everynight. The actual wrestling is important, but becomes less important. It's about getting people to give a poo poo about you.

Roman is without a doubt a top tier guy. He has the other attributes you need to be on TV and Wrestlemania posters and look like a star. He just should be doing these things as a heel. He's not a good guy. But he's a phenomenal bad guy. People clearly don't want to cheer for him. And, like someone else said, even if he gets over now, it doesn't matter, because he's intrinsically linked to the controversy of his push. People are always going to boo the guy. As a character, I can't stand the fucker. If they made that part of the storyline I'd buy PPV's to watch him get his rear end kicked. Because the line between fact and fiction in wrestling is really narrow and really weird.

So yes, Roman's good. I don't even blame him. But he shouldn't be where he is. Turn him heel and let him become a face naturally over time instead of forcing the issue. But they won't do that. Despite people clearly hating him and cheering the guy's he's wrestling, they still maintain the in story narrative that he's a hero. It's so counter intuitive not just to wrestling but to human loving nature that it's utterly baffling.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 2, 2016

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

spudsbuckley posted:

I definitely remember the fan backlash to the main event pushes of Manu and Rosey. Oh wait. This argument is loving dumb and constantly gets repeated. Not shocking considering the source this time.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Roman is good and i think everything would have worked out better if he turned on the shield instead of rollins. Roman winning the belt as a heel authority stooge who eventually turned face and beat up hhh would have been perfect

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

CityMidnightJunky posted:

And, like someone else said, even if he gets over now, it doesn't matter, because he's intrinsically linked to the controversy of his push. People are always going to boo the guy.

Yeah and I have no idea how they can fix the damage at this point. It's going to take quite some time with him out of everyone's face for there to even be a chance at him getting over again.

The first heel he loses the belt to will be cheered so hard they'll basically turn babyface on the spot.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I think you'd just need to drop him down to the upper midcard for awhile. He actually started rehabbing his image a bit when they did this after WM31. Let him keep putting on great matches with some of the top tier wrestlers there like KO, give him more practice time on the mic where he doesn't have to carry a long segment to open RAW, have him tweak his character some and find something that lets him be more natural.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

I think you'd just need to drop him down to the upper midcard for awhile. He actually started rehabbing his image a bit when they did this after WM31. Let him keep putting on great matches with some of the top tier wrestlers there like KO, give him more practice time on the mic where he doesn't have to carry a long segment to open RAW, have him tweak his character some and find something that lets him be more natural.

he was basically in the upper midcard having very good matches for most of 2015 (between Mania and the poo poo with Sheamus). why would it work this time?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Alain Post posted:

he was basically in the upper midcard having very good matches for most of 2015 (between Mania and the poo poo with Sheamus). why would it work this time?

It was working imo, he started to slowly get over organically the way everyone said he should have in the first place. It's just that once they started to see fans come around on him they immediately shot him back to the main event and started making the same mistakes with his booking all over again. It's gonna take a long time to undo all the damage.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

LanceBurrito posted:

Hey, if Roman puts on 4+ stars with Big Strongman Wyatt I'll take back everything I ever said about the guy. If John and Batista can do it with Khali, Roman needs to be able to do it with his non-union swampman equivalent.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Roman Reigns had a really good match with Bray Wyatt who has had worse matches working with similar talent

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Roman Reigns had a really good match with Bray Wyatt who has had worse matches working with similar talent

What similar talent has Bray wrestled? Has Roman shared even a single opponent in a major singles match with Bray, other than Bray himself and Daniel Bryan?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Bray is actually really good in the ring.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The_Rob posted:

Bray is actually really good in the ring.

I agree, I'm just wondering what his measuring stick is when he claims that Bray has wrestled similar talent and Roman has proven to produce better matches when I don't think they've ever wrestled the same guy other than "5-star-with-Mops" Bryan.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

What similar talent has Bray wrestled? Has Roman shared even a single opponent in a major singles match with Bray, other than Bray himself and Daniel Bryan?

Ambrose.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

He had good matches with Dean, but they always over gimmicked the poo poo out of them.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I bet Roman can have a really good match with Chris Jericho.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

Kane.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

big show

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
To be clear, as much as I hate Roman right now, if they had just copied Deadly games at Survivor series beat for beat and made him the corporate champ I would have loved it.

If they turn him heel I'm sure it'll be excellent.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Roman's never had a pure one-on-one match with Ambrose, they've only ever met as part of three of four-way bouts. That said, the match with Brock was reasonably close to a one-on-one bout between the two since most of that match's psychology was the pair taking Brock out so they could fight among themselves, and the majority of the actual wrestling done was just those two. If you subtract all of Brock's parts from that match and only focus on the parts of those two working together, I wouldn't rate it any better than Bray vs Ambrose in the Ambulance Match, which was stellar.

Bray's only other serious match with Ambrose, the TLC match, was pretty highly rated by most people other than the gigantic flaming dumpster fire of a finish. And if we're allowing poo poo finishes to ruin otherwise great matches, then that applies to the Reigns/Ambrose/Brock Triple Threat too. While it was no Exploding TV, that chairshot nosell into flash spear was such a hilariously awful anticlimax after the teased one-arm Powerbomb to Brock and Dean's Chair Bonanza that it basically ruined the match for me, and unless I'm misremembering the gameday thread I was far from the only one to think so.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the Survivor Series main event at the end of the World Title tournament. That was singles vs Dean pure and simple, and it was a very good match despite being super short and a bit underwhelming as the climax of the tournament, plus being overshadowed by the Shaemus cash in. Mae culpa, credit to Roman. Better than vs Bray in the Ambulance match? In my opinion, no.

Bray's big match against Kane was a Ring of Fire of match, which is hard for anyone to make look good. Even still, I remember enjoying the match, and considering it was a clean victory that began his big push which lead to incredible mega-overness by Mania six months later, I'd say it was a giant success by any metric. Roman has never had a PPV match against Kane, but most of their outings on TV have been mediocre.

I'll give 100% credit to Roman, he and Big Show had a 4 star match in Last Man Standing at Extreme Rules. It was a tour de force, just a plain fun rollicking rip-snorting good time. They 100% nailed it. But does that erase the 5 or so absolutely god-awful horror stories those two put on during that same feud? Because I remember all of those. The Roman-canrana, that ring any bells?

Granted, those were all TV matches, and previously I'd only judged PPV singles outings, as I think it's the the most appropriate measure of individual wrestling skill. But Bray has never wrestled Big Show on PPV in singles, so if in this one case I were to compare them on TV bouts AND PPV combined, while I will admit Bray has never had a good one-on-one match with Big Show and Roman has had one, that's still a really crappy batting average for both of them and I don't think it says much of anything about either of them as wrestlers other than Last Man Standing is a really good match to have against Big Show. Alberto Del Rio had a great one against Big Show as well lest we forget.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

LMS matches are almost always good for some reason.

• Locked thread