Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The quality of the haters should tell you how good he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He's the wrestler.

In all seriousness. He's not a bad wrestler, but he sits in one of the deepest pools of talent that WWE has ever seen, can't talk for poo poo and gets pushed to the top of the company because he has "The Look" or some bullshit. So we justifiably hate the guy because he's far above his station in and bores crowds to death on the regular, to the point that I was more invested in the Zac Ryder vs Miz match on the Raw after mania than I have been in any Roman match for years.

Every other wrestler has the deepest pools thing going against him. He talks mostly fine minus a few trash fires about magic beans and that period last year where he'd change up his motivations weekly and ya, his catch phrase is kinda grating. "The Look" isn't a tangible quality but it ain't bullshit neither. He looks like a leading man from his thousand yard stare to his cleft chin to his narrow jaw and soft, pouty lips. Arbitrary? Learned? Whatever. People react to it. Often with resentment.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I don't understand this point. What I'm saying is that on the current roster I could probably name like 15 guys who are better at wrestling than Roman is and it's bullshit that a man like him is on top given the depth of the talent pool. And Jesus Christ if you think Roman is fine at talking then your perception of reality is so different to my own that I'm not convinced we live on the same planet.

The look is horseshit because a troll with a hugeass beard was the most popular face in recent memory. It's an antiquated conception of what sells to a modern market that should have died long ago.

I don't think there are fifteen guys and I don't think any one of the less than fifteen guys would be better suited for the top spot. Also we live on the same planet but your appraisal of Roman's talking is filtered under a lens of bitterness. He talks fine, when not given dumb lines, he could be better for sure.

The look ain't antiquated neither. Bryan had a boat load of charisma, which factors into the whole look thing. Roman has charisma too, just in a Jeff Hardy or Undertaker sense, in that his presence itself lends legitimacy. And he talks better than either of them.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Brock, Cena, Seth, Dean, Owens, Jericho, Cesaro, Zayn, Styles, Big E, Kofi, Del Rio, Rusev, Harper, Neville. 15, not including NXT which has Nakamura, Balor, Joe and Aries.

Don't count, yes, no, no, sure, no, yes, yes, yes, no, no, the gently caress?, no, no and I can't for the life of me remember a Neville match when it is not in progress so maybe?
Aries, sure, I'm done talking to you.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Charisma doesn't factor into the look.

Yes it does.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ostentatious posted:

People sure are passionate about the Roman Reigns

He's very good.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

Roman is a guy who should, by all rights, be a bland midcarder who eventually ends up in TNA except he is related to the Rock so they are trying to capture that lighting in a bottle again.

See also: the Uso's.

Durrrrrrrrrrrr

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

What similar talent has Bray wrestled? Has Roman shared even a single opponent in a major singles match with Bray, other than Bray himself and Daniel Bryan?

Ambrose.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I bet Roman can have a really good match with Chris Jericho.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

What similar talent has Bray wrestled? Has Roman shared even a single opponent in a major singles match with Bray, other than Bray himself and Daniel Bryan?

Kane.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Roman won his first championship against Ambrose 1 on 1

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It wasn't good and it was really confusing cuz there was half an hour left and it was the main

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That was good.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Under the vegetable posted:

Hes a 7 pushed as a 10 so everyone thinks hes a 6.

Hes okay. Could, with humility and a work ethic, become really excellent. Currently, not so hot.

Mohammad Ali is dead three days and now sports entertainers should show humility.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When I say US y'all say O

US!

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yahoo!

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"gimmick"

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not like MRT needs my help or nothing but y'all lay off him. Saying he posts in bad faith is absolutely rich, considering some of the ridiculous and pedantic attempts attempts at critique on Roman that could be summed up far more elegantly and honestly by simply saying "I don't like him". Considering the myopic criteria for what makes a champ I can't see to many of y'all liking much of anything.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

I don't think its outrageous to call it like I see it and say he phrases things specifically to get under people's skin. He didn't SAY that Roman is a better wrestler than Okada and Tanahashi, but you could certainly infer it from what he wrote and I can't imagine he didn't intend that to at least a certain degree.

Advanced technique.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

Do you really feel like giving reasons to support "I like/don't like X" is ultimately just obfuscation and/or a waste or effort and the baldfaced emotional statement free of context is more meaningful?
Neither. Choosing either of these positions would be stupid, and don't reflect anything I've said.

Sanguinia posted:

And I'm not talking about bullshit opinions based on nothing like "Roman is an entitled poo poo," or "Roman doesn't work hard," I'm talking like concrete examples, specific performances or traits displayed actively on-camera that people can say "This is why I don't like him." I don't necessarily disagree with you, so I'm legit curious.
Like what

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

Ok, I was just trying to parse the reasons behind your statement. Whatever, if you don't want to respond then forget it.

It is better to give an honest opinion than to not, basically.

Sanguinia posted:

Any of his 50 go-away-heat promo performances would probably qualify.
He doesn't light my world on fire with his way with words but he's not bad neither, material permitting. People seem to be more forgiving of Kevin Owens. Owens to his credit has a ready wit that gets love throughout here but he dies a traitors death to the crowd on the mic giving heel promo number five with his toneless and unpleasant accent. If he were the face of the company, for example, not saying anyone is pushing for that, I am positive that his weekly Cena-esque assertions as to why he's morally entitled or obligated to win would not sell too many t-shirts or maintain the love of the internet people to say the least.

On the other hand, Roman, saying only what he needs to say, plus something they can put on a t-shirt, will time and again win the crowd over to his side with his presence and in ring intensity.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the usos are victims have not having a gimmick outside of yelling their names when they come out

What gimmick does AJ Styles have

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not yelling his drat name all the time

So the Usos are better you're saying?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Character now.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He's good.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One of my guilty joys nowaday is finding people who I'm older than that I am also much cuter than, and I get no such joy from Roman Reigns. At least my hair is nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Me, into Roman Reigns' rear end.

• Locked thread