Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Roman Reigns is a good wrestler, a great heel, an okay tweener, and an awful, awful face.

I dislike him because of his booking and what his continued push says about the prospects of other potential top stars who I'd like to see featured more; in isolation, he's actually extremely loving good at playing a smug, self-assured champion. If the WWE would stop pretending that the boos aren't boos and that people don't dislike Reigns, there's a whole hell of a lot of potential for him to lose to and completely skyrocket the popularity of, say, Rollins or Ambrose.

The problem is that there's no real hope of anything changing. Vince seems dead set on feeding wrestlers to Roman, resulting in great matches but a barren top of the card. His continued, single hold on the position of top face (instead of, say, sharing the limelight with others: I know the WWE doesn't do this, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't) means that crowd favorites (like Ambrose during the build to mania, for instance) get shunted off into the upper midcard, fall prey to the 50-50 booking there, and lose all positive momentum (again, like Ambrose.)

Roman's problem, in my eyes, isn't his weak mic skills or his petulant interviews, it's that he's blocking the way (through no fault of his own: it's the booking) for other talented wrestlers. He could also stand to lose at some point, ever, so that all his matches aren't foregone conclusions–it just robs all the suspense from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

MotU posted:

This is literally the only time anything has ever popped for Roman

He has a kid so it theoretically happened twice

Also, drat

• Locked thread