Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dude has great matches 9/10 times on PPV and can't cut a promo. He should be the internet's favorite wrestler, but their racism won't let them get over their hero Daniel Bryan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love when people say he is whiny or entitled when every other top babyface in history has thrown bigger hissy fits if the fans rejected them.

There is one exception, John Cena.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Who do you like better John Cena or Roman Reigns?

John Cena. As good as Roman Reigns is he's not as good as Best Wrestler in the World Candidate (BWITWC) John Cena.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Under the vegetable posted:

Hes a 7 pushed as a 10 so everyone thinks hes a 6.

Hes okay. Could, with humility and a work ethic, become really excellent. Currently, not so hot.

The idea that he needs a worth ethic is nonsense and wrestlers shouldn't have humility. That's not how it works.

Roman Reigns the guy who worked so hard he ended up with a really hosed up hernia needs a work ethic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Under the vegetable posted:

Roman Reigns the guy who constantly gives interviews about how entitled he is, is carried through every main event match he's ever been in and gets gassed immediately/has a hard time lifting people who weigh less than him, could indeed stand to work a little harder for his job instead of coasting in the top spot because he feels like he deserves it.

Amazing that AJ Styles was able to carry easily gassed, poor work ethic Roman Reigns to a better match than most of his matches with great wrestlers in Japan.

Roman Reigns is just so bad he made AJ Styles better!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Roman is suffering from the exact same problem Cena did, though, and Cena is very white (and Roman is also the same ethnicity as the single most revered wrestler of the past 30 years).

They're both good wrestlers. Their ability in the ring is not the problem with them, at all. The problem is entirely on WWE's end: they're not using him right, they're specifically playing to his weaknesses. If Roman was taken off TV for a month, turned heel, given a new name, and given a manager to talk for him, I guaran-fuckin'-tee you people would turn around on him very quickly.

I knew Hulk Hogan wasn't white.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alain Post posted:

Fact is that smarks always turn on non-white wrestlers. Rey Mysterio was the greatest worker of his generation and he got mercilessly mocked for "always having the same match", a "lame" babyface act, and the 619, while much poorer wrestlers like Edge coasted by. Booed out of the building after decades of great work in favor of the (white) Daniel Bryan. It's a total disgrace.

Smarks constantly poo poo on Rock's work back in the day (and are suspiciously negative on his matches with Cena too.) Sad!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

I know your gimmick is contrarianism and 99% of the time PSP posters deserve it for their dumb group-think and poorly formed opinions, but the idea that either of those matches with Roman AJ had were better than most of his New Japan matches is batshit madness.

I like that when confronted with the truth people accuse me of having a gimmick.

Go take some Meltzer star ratings and compare the Extreme Rules main event to AJ in NJPW. I know it's higher than several of his matches with Okada and Tanahashi. I'm not making this easy for Roman given how often Dave is accused of a pro Japan bias.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

Since when do you of all people cite to Meltzer Stars as some be-all quality measurement? I'm not taking anything away from Roman's match at ER (Or Payback for that matter, I liked the overbooking and thought it mostly worked, I was a big fan of that bout), but you specifically said "most of his matches with great wrestlers in Japan." As in, those two matches are head and shoulders above the majority of New Japan run matches. Not only is that not even a fair comparison since its holding up two matches against an entire multi-year period which just by dint of being a long period of time has a greater chance for a few mis-steps, I frankly just don't consider it to be true.

I don't want to split hairs but I do not think it is a shocking statement to say the Extreme Rules match was better than 50% of AJ's matches with great wrestlers in Japan. I didn't say head ad shoulders, just that it was better. Meltzer stars are an easy thing to cite since it would be slightly biased of me to list which matches I personally think are worse, and Dave is often accused of rating NJPW matches too highly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really appreciate anyone who thinks my opinions are a gimmick. I wish I could put this much effort into creating art that is so consistent across the forums, twitter and the rare instances in real life where people ask me about Roman Reigns. The kind of dedication I have to keep this up since 2013 is deserving of a medal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I have literally never seen smarks poo poo on Rey or Rock (Rock was actually who I was referring to when I said "the most revered wrestler of the past 30 years"), and as I mentioned Cena caught a ton of poo poo for the same reason Roman is (WWE didn't play to his strengths, and instead accentuated the stuff he's weak in)

e: honestly I only specified "30 years" because my wrestling knowledge kinda dips when it comes to pre-80s stuff and I'm pretty sure Harley Race/Nick Bockwinkel/etc are more revered than Rock, but it's definitely close.

There was a ton of "Rock is bad" posting in the late 90s and early 2000s among people who were really really mad about a Chosen One push. They'd make fun of wearing a shirt they'd say he knew 5 moves, they'd call him Flex, they'd say his matches suck, they'd say the People's Elbow was killing the business, etc. Then 2000 rolled around and most of them shut up but we'd see "HHH is carrying him!" "OF COURSE HE HAS GOOD MATCHES LOOK AT HIS OPPONENTS!" and whatever.

As for Rey it's more contained on here but a bunch of goons hated him circa 2010-2014 and posted about how bad he was.

Sanguinia posted:

As I said, I like MRT and I like the perspective he brings to this forum. I really dislike the groupthink and Reddit-tier poo poo that many folks around here spew. I also don't in any way question the sincerity of his opinions and likes. But I don't think its outrageous to call it like I see it and say he phrases things specifically to get under people's skin. He didn't SAY that Roman is a better wrestler than Okada and Tanahashi, but you could certainly infer it from what he wrote and I can't imagine he didn't intend that to at least a certain degree.

Yeah, its SA and everyone always needs thicker skin and to get over themselves, but I'm not going to pretend somebody I disagree with isn't also being kind of obnoxious when they're doing it on purpose.

If I wanted to imply something like that I'd just post "quite frankly the average Roman Reigns PPV match is better than the average Minoru Suzuki match."

But I have the strength to know that is slightly misleading and will instead bravely post that I would rather watch Roman's PPV matches than MinSu.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Roman is weighed down by his dumpy idiot cousins and their rope-clipping jumps.

Look you stay over in the Western Roman Empire and I'll hang in the East.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

That DICK! posted:

Roman is good..... For nothing!

Nothing but **** matches.

***1/4 if he's having a bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Instead of asking "Is Roman Reigns good?" you should be asking "Is Roman Reigns God?" And the answer is still yes.

It figures internet atheists would have a problem with him.

• Locked thread