Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Pretty much my thoughts as well, but you did a better job writing it than I probably would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

PoO3 posted:

People who keep harping about how handsome he is or how he has "the look" well , uh really? What about him is attractive or appealing? To me Roman Reigns has the opposite of the look and is actually pretty disgusting and the female friends who watch RAW occasionally with me or pop in to comment agree as well, comments i usually get are about how he's got the long nappy black hair that's always half wet and gross and a goofy goatee that make him look like he first started growing facial hair in high school. He looks like he should be in a performing in a metal video from 1993, working in a factory that manufactures sparks with his cargo utility pants. I suppose it's a caveman look or something but the appeal is just so dated to me and feels really sleazy. Whenever he does his stupid smile i just think what's up with those buck teeth caveman? Apparently he's also really self-conscious about his torso which is why the vest probably wont be going anywhere anytime soon. That's your handsome champion with "the look" lol whatta jabroni

Probably getting whooshed here but the vest is there to cover a protective guard around his torso to (hopefully) help prevent him from getting another hernia. So no, it's probably never going anywhere.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've seen people say that, but has that actually been officially stated anywhere? With the type of hernia he had, that doesn't really make sense. Inguinal hernias aren't up in the torso area.

I think he's just wearing a girdle.

Well, it IS a girdle. It's pretty big and covers drat near everything from his upper stomach to upper groin. I always figured the hernia issue was why he wears it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Sharzak posted:

Serious question: what makes a good wrestler?
This isn't an easy question.

There are several different things, which make a good wrestler, and no one really has ALL of them. You've got:

- Move set
- Ring talent
- Athleticism
- Technical skill
- Match psychology
- Mic skills
- Personal charisma
- Ability to interact well with other wrestlers
- Ability to cut a promo

You don't have to be able to do ALL of these things at a top level. If anyone finds the guy who actually CAN do all those at a top level, we've pretty much found the holy grail. More realistically you'll find a guy who can do a few extremely well and don't have any horribly glaring weaknesses.

Let's take Stone Cold for example. He's often revered as one of the best in the business - and he was!

His move set was limited. His ring talent was good but couldn't be used as much after his body started to disintegrate before our eyes. He was never that athletic, but he had technical skill and understood his limitations. He was a divine talent at match psychology. His mic skills and charisma were among the best the business has ever seen. He interacted well enough with other talent, would at least sometimes put others over, and could cut a loving promo like no one's business.

So let's take another guy who is very different. AJ Styles.

His move set is only limited by his opponents. Ring talent is arguably the top 5 of an entire generation. Good athleticism, was great when he was younger but he's loving 38 now. Supreme technical skill, drat good match psychology. Not that great on the mic. Has charisma but often exercises it in a non-verbal way. Great body language. He can interact with almost anyone, and took that last match with Roman Reigns into nearly 5-star heights. He can't promo very well... but at this point who cares.

Alright, so those are two VERY GOOD wrestlers, now let's take a look at Roman Reigns.

His move set is limited. Ring talent varies depending on his opponent and how big they are. It's telling when he can open up a bigger moveset against the smaller AJ Styles after a year of struggling against bigger wrestlers like Sheamus, Brock, Bray Wyatt and HHH. His technical skill is mediocre and his move set tends to avoid that as much as possible. Yes, I do like his spear. A lot. That said, it's the only move he consistently performs at a high level. Match psychology is something he's grown at over time, and it's a reason that his frequent rest spots aren't so bad. He's very good at producing a timely comeback and matching up with the big move. Now here's the real downer. His mic skills are a tire fire, and he has no charisma with the booking he's been given. The silent badass role fit so much better than anything they have him say anymore. He can't promo at all. That said, he does interact very well with other wrestlers and that's why he's produced some great matches over the last two years - but it only happens when the other guy is a huge talent. There are some stinkers. Styles carried him to an amazing match but people like AJ don't come along every ol' day.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

shiksa posted:

Maybe he's got a poochy tummy

If so then he's really let himself go. This pic isn't more than a year or so old:

His arm/hand is in the way but you can still see clear definition there.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Great White Hope posted:

This post pretty much shows my point. Fenrir says Roman struggled hard with Sheamus/Brock and big guys like them, but if you ask me he got one of the most hardcore anti-Roman cities to eat out of his hand against Sheamus, had arguably the best singles match since Brock's return (with the only other contenders being matches with two top stars in Cena and Punk, while Brock/Taker and Brock/HHH all were pretty bad) and managed to do it with the major disadvantage of formulaic repetitive Suplex City Brock, and had one of the best singles match of Big Show's entire career, all in 2015.

A good wrestler can be made to look like garbage if they are pushed to accentuate their weaknesses, like when TNA had AJ Styles be a fake Ric Flair, which sucked because really just imagine AJ Styles trying to cut a Ric Flair promo and being followed by the actual Ric Flair cutting a promo. WWE has it in their heads that people liked Roman for pretty much every reason except the ones people liked him for, and during the short periods where Roman is allowed to be the Roman Reigns people liked, he's tended to get positive reactions.

Well, when I mentioned bigger opponents I specifically said it was only in reference to Roman's move set. He can't do power moves against big guys like he did against AJ. He couldn't put HHH into that cool rear end powerbomb, because HHH probably has 50 pounds on AJ. Stuff like that. His ring chemistry still worked with all of them - Roman has very good ring chemistry.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Roman is actually good at that poo poo in the ring. He conveys emotion a lot better with facial expression and body language than I think he'll ever be capable of on the mic. And he's great at doing this mid-match while he fires up his comeback. Hell, I even almost get hype for Roman's comebacks because they always seem so well executed. I don't like the booking but what he does well, he does quite well. His groggy shift back to reality after the styles clash on the chair a couple weeks ago was perfect. I don't like the fact that he kicked out of two styles clashes and won with a single spear, but that's not on Roman, that's booking. Roman did a fantastic job.

I mean, let's give the guy some credit. If he just slept on that match, even AJ wouldn't have been able to save it. They had excellent ring chemistry, and put on multiple awesome matches. Roman can loving work in the ring.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 1, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The_Rob posted:

Every positive on Roman really makes it sound like WWE should put him back in a tag team. He is the perfect tag team wrestler.

I agree.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cyron posted:

isn't that what Cass is now? a big mussle partner with a guy who can speck for him. and it funny since both of them are products of the WWE performance center and people love them so i don't buy the fact people hate on roman because he is not a indie guy.

Basically yes but Cass is WAY WAY WAY better on the mic than Roman will probably ever be.

e: and no the roman hate has nothing to do with him NOT being an indie guy. it has everything to do with him being pushed over greater talents despite fan reactions and doubling down on that even when roman enters almost every show to a deafening chorus of boos and vince/creative doesn't change a god damned thing.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 2, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Like, let's just be honest about this. Without a very major rework, Roman is never going to get over now.

Everything that I felt was salvageable about his character was pretty much ruined from Mania to now, and they lost the last chance they had to give him nuclear heat when they brought Seth back as a heel. If they brought Seth back as a shining babyface, Roman spearing him in the ring during his "welcome back" would have made Roman the top heel instantly and probably the best heel champ in a while.

But they're tone-deaf and this is what they want us to think: Roman is good, everyone else is less good.

And good lord every time they make him talk, if it wasn't bad enough, that always makes it worse.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TheChad posted:

Would you agree that Kevin Owens excels at every single one of these categories and is thus proven to be the greatest wrestler of all time?

he is

Not sure about greatest of all time but drat he nails pretty much all of it. KO's only real "weakness" is he doesn't have the look I guess? He's not that tall and he's fat.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

CityMidnightJunky posted:

And, like someone else said, even if he gets over now, it doesn't matter, because he's intrinsically linked to the controversy of his push. People are always going to boo the guy.

Yeah and I have no idea how they can fix the damage at this point. It's going to take quite some time with him out of everyone's face for there to even be a chance at him getting over again.

The first heel he loses the belt to will be cheered so hard they'll basically turn babyface on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Oddly enough, for that short period where Sheamus had the belt. Roman was actually over... or at least as close to over as he's been in the last year and a half.

• Locked thread