Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

double nine posted:

Either I'm dumb or sleep-deprived, certainly both. How do I read this? What does the y-axis mean?

X-axis: electoral votes
Y-axis: % chance of Clinton getting that exact number of electoral votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

double nine posted:

Either I'm dumb or sleep-deprived, certainly both. How do I read this? What does the y-axis mean?

the key takeaway is that in the overwhelmingly gigantic majority of situations, clinton would win. y axis means there's n% chance of exactly the number of EVs for a candidate indicated by the blue bar . . . so for instance, it looks like there is almost a 9% chance, according to this model, of clinton getting ~345 EVs

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It would also be nice if they would do a "cumulative" format where you're seeing a 67% chance of Hillary taking at least 271 electoral votes, a 87% chance of at least 300 electoral votes, etc (my numbers here are fake)

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

double nine posted:

They did a few thousand simulations of possible electoral vote outcomes, based on current and/or projected polls on a state-by-state basis. The y-axis is the frequency that a particular electoral vote number occurred for all of their simulations, normalized by the number of simulations they ran. Each bar is thus the percentage of simulations that a particular electoral vote outcome occurred. For example, it looks like Hillary getting exactly 332 electoral votes happened in almost 9% of the simulations. If you added up the y-value of all of the bars, you should get 100%.

The red line is the 269-269 tied electoral vote line. Everything to the left is a Trump victory, and everything to the right is a Hillary victory.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The red bar is actually Trump's victory bar. You can tell because it's yuuuge and goes off the chart and makes no sense in context, that's how you know it's a Trump Victory Bar

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What percentage of the popular vote does Trump need to overcome the EV disadvantage? I've read that Democrats need to win up to 55% of the popular vote to retake the House so what is the number for Trump?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nachos posted:

What percentage of the popular vote does Trump need to overcome the EV disadvantage? I've read that Democrats need to win up to 55% of the popular vote to retake the House so what is the number for Trump?

He needs to get I think it was 5.7% more (and Clinton the same amount less) in every single state to win going off of 2012. 5.7 is the point where Colorado flips and he breaks 270

A tall order for a man who is within MoE in GA and AZ

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I didn't know Trump was into that whole six californias thing.
:golfclap:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I live in an important swing state. The daily robocalls about the impending doom of America (unless you vote for our candidate!) have already begun.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Cythereal posted:

I live in an important swing state. The daily robocalls about the impending doom of America (unless you vote for our candidate!) have already begun.

Only 159 days left until election day!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

Except instead of "Yeah!" it's :smithicide:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Whoever it was that recommended Keepin' It 1600, thanks. That podcast rules and is almost as good as It's All Politics.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Whoever it was that recommended Keepin' It 1600, thanks. That podcast rules and is almost as good as It's All Politics.

What is this It's all Politics? Can't seem to find it on ITunes and am always looking for good political podcasts.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mr Hootington posted:

What is this It's all Politics? Can't seem to find it on ITunes and am always looking for good political podcasts.

it would seem it ended, then became this: http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510310/npr-politics-podcast

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

Nthing this, they had Clinton's communication director on for the latest podcast and she was both great and they were all noticeably uncomfortable the whole time they were talking about Trump (or as they call it, the end of the republic). I look forward to hearing their podcast when they record it from Gitmo during the glorious Trumpenreich.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Haha I haven't read HuffPo in a while and just noticed this is at the end of every article about Trump:

quote:

Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.

This is actually journalistic integrity. If you feel like this is biased, the death of real reporting has brainwashed you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Came for the updated avatar.

Left disappointed.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 1, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

We truly are stuck in our Yoda shame..

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
GOP Voters Are Rallying Behind Trump As If He Were Any Other Candidate

quote:

Donald Trump has been anything but a conventional Republican presidential candidate. He has, to take just one example, lashed out against the three previous GOP nominees, Mitt Romney, John McCain and George W. Bush. And the three most recent Republican standard-bearers, especially Romney, have attacked Trump. All the craziness made it seem for a while as if the Republican Party might come apart at the seams, and that might still happen. But nearly a month after Trump vanquished Ted Cruz and John Kasich from the primary race, Republican voters are rallying behind Trump as if he were any other nominee.

Republican support for Trump is at 85%, about the same as it was for Romney after his nomination. Whether this changes or stays the same is still up in the air, but it's...interesting.

On the plus side, if Republicans are willing to fall in line for Trump, we might also expect to see something similar after Hillary wraps it up (more than she already has, I mean).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Deep down my brain hasn't accepted that he isn't some fringe candidate. He is half of the presidential race. He has made ignorance cool and mainstream in a way I have never seen before.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

This is actually journalistic integrity. If you feel like this is biased, the death of real reporting has brainwashed you.

Journalistic integrity would be if huffpo paid their writers

E: well maybe paying isn't all you need for integrity but they get no brownie points from me for just saying Trump is Bad MKay

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well today a Quinnipac poll was released with Clinton up 4 points while still struggling with the 18-34 demo hanging on to Bernie, a demo which will largely turn around and support her once she finally wins the nomination. Also, according to a helpful Reddit person it shows that Clinton is tied with white women which Obama lost by 14pts in 2012 and Trump is polling at 18% with Hispanics, 10pts lower than Mitt Romney got in 2012.

Also remember that Rasmussen poll that had Trump up 5? They have a new one where Clinton is up 1.

But continue freaking out to start the month I guess.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 1, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't mind if I do.

DEMOCRATS ARE GOING TO BLOW THIS GRAAAAHHHH

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Trump is exactly what Republicans always wanted though. A loud, sexist, racist, greedy, and hate filled man just like their dad was.

Lead us orange daddy!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is there a map where Hillary hits 270 before the west coast polls close?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, but wait until you see Trump's brilliant electoral strategy:

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/736976526319587330

Yes, please focus on trying to win Minnesota, California, and New York. Please pour Republican money into winning those states because that's not at all a complete waste of cash, no sir.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Xanderkish posted:

GOP Voters Are Rallying Behind Trump As If He Were Any Other Candidate

Republican support for Trump is at 85%, about the same as it was for Romney after his nomination. Whether this changes or stays the same is still up in the air, but it's...interesting.

On the plus side, if Republicans are willing to fall in line for Trump, we might also expect to see something similar after Hillary wraps it up (more than she already has, I mean).

It's really funny that is going to end up being the dems who have the convention and unity issues after all the ink spilled about how tough a time trump would have uniting the party.

Hillary going to have a super tough time getting berners to come out for her, despite what a lot of people are predicting using' conventional wisdom' and 2008 as an example. This ain't 08 and anyone who thinks it is has simply not been paying attention.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Deep down my brain hasn't accepted that he isn't some fringe candidate. He is half of the presidential race. He has made ignorance cool and mainstream in a way I have never seen before.

And Hillary apparently had no idea how to respond, her last good day was pre Indiana. Poor Donald? You have got to be kidding me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RZA Encryption posted:

Is there a map where Hillary hits 270 before the west coast polls close?

Yeah, any map where Clinton takes VA and FL. If she takes PA as well, immediately turn on Fox News to see Rove shoot himself on live television.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well today a Quinnipac poll was released with Clinton up 4 points while still struggling with the 18-34 demo hanging on to Bernie, a demo which will largely turn around and support her once she finally wins the nomination. Also, according to a helpful Reddit person it shows that Clinton is tied with white women which Obama lost by 14pts in 2012 and Trump is polling at 18% with Hispanics, 10pts lower than Mitt Romney got in 2012.

Also remember that Rasmussen poll that had Trump up 5? They have a new one where Clinton is up 1.

This is going to be a close election, anyone saying otherwise don't know what they are talking about.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, but wait until you see Trump's brilliant electoral strategy:

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/736976526319587330

so is he going to scream "ASIAN INVASION! ILLEGALS!" at white californians until he gets 100% white turnout here

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

tsa posted:

This is going to be a close election, anyone saying otherwise don't know what they are talking about.

OK there, bubble boy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tsa posted:

I mean, "close" is a relative term, in that I would call a 54/46 election "close" but in American election terms that would be a landslide.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's going to be a blowout for Hillary.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Phone posted:

Yeah, any map where Clinton takes VA and FL. If she takes PA as well, immediately turn on Fox News to see Rove shoot himself on live television.

Rove is the kind of old school dog whistle conservative who would probably hate to see Trump win though.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

tsa posted:

And Hillary apparently had no idea how to respond, her last good day was pre Indiana. Poor Donald? You have got to be kidding me.

Hillary hasn't needed a good day for awhile.

But whatever makes you feel better, I guess.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bel_Canto posted:

Yes, please focus on trying to win Minnesota, California, and New York. Please pour Republican money into winning those states because that's not at all a complete waste of cash, no sir.

And please ignore Colorado, Nevada, and Arizona.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm not really worried about the presidential race, but the fact that we won't get Maximum Chaos to emerge out of the GOP convention, and with their rank-and-file quickly accepting Trump, means that the glimmer of hope that Democrats could win back the House and Senate, or at least get quite close in the House, is nearly gone.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the importance of not letting a Republican pick out the next Supreme Court justice, but I'd really like to make some legislative progress rather than just continue treading water until the Republicans finally pull off a presidential win and go insane again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm not really worried about the presidential race, but the fact that we won't get Maximum Chaos to emerge out of the GOP convention, and with their rank-and-file quickly accepting Trump, means that the glimmer of hope that Democrats could win back the House and Senate, or at least get quite close in the House, is nearly gone.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the importance of not letting a Republican pick out the next Supreme Court justice, but I'd really like to make some legislative progress rather than just continue treading water until the Republicans finally pull off a presidential win and go insane again.

It's a long time to November.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

Democrats are going to win back the Senate, it's almost inevitable. They might lose it in 2018 but they will win it this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rove is the kind of old school dog whistle conservative who would probably hate to see Trump win though.
Nah Rove is a "score a win for your team at all costs" kinda guy. 100% tribal. It doesn't matter who runs, as long as they have an (R) next to their name, Rove will be out there pulling every dirty trick he can to get him into office. Whether he agrees with them on policy is irrelevant because he has no opinions of his own on policy in the first place, only knowledge of what he needs to say to rally the GOP base. He is selling your soul personified - Piggy if Piggy was a Sith apprentice.

• Locked thread