Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I played this game a while back, so I'll be checking this out. A couple notes about that first transformation crystal: It actually changes you into one of two forms, the other being a very fast eel with 100 HP. Also, the ray form is affected by your size when you swallow the crystal. The large ray also has 100 HP. IIRC, only one other crystal form has a size difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The change to a mammal is the only one that doesn't retain the size of your previous form. The ones before that (fish -> amphibian -> reptile -> bird) all do, and I think the bird keeps the reptile's neck length. Regardless of what kind of body you have upon changing to mammal, you will be small with a short neck afterwards. Speaking of size retention, the elephant is the only other red crystal form (aside from the ray) that's affected by your size when you eat the crystal. The small elephant is even more useless, as it doesn't even have the unique factors of the game's highest HP and strength.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Bird-man maze is a lot easier if you yourself are a bird when you go through it. I think staying a bird is the easiest way to beat the game altogether, since you can effectively skip most levels and bypass a few annoying gimmicks, though some of the boss fights are tougher without kicking. On a related note, I don't really see anything that's supposed to be bad about the ending where you join the bird-men.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm not saying take the bird for the long haul, I'm saying use the bird for 90% of this chapter, to unlock all of the waypoints and defeat the castle, and then go back and evolve into a mammal. Skip straight to the good grinding spot, pop your green crystal for a boost, and away you go.

Yeah, this is the way I usually do the Ice Age. I like to imagine it as Quetzalcoatl taking his rightful place as moon emperor while an unrelated hell-horse goes to kick the yetis to death.

• Locked thread