Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If there's a week that goes by where I don't order something from Amazon that's probably the week that I die. I can't even imagine how much money I've saved with Prime Shipping. It would be staggering to even attempt to calculate it. Most weeks I have multiple orders from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So you're paying $9 more a year to NOT get free shipping?

If you can go month-to-month instead of having to do a full year at a time, it could be better for some people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

If you can go month-to-month instead of having to do a full year at a time, it could be better for some people.

These are not people I want to share the planet with. Amazon Prime is LIFE.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That said, I love Prime as a second choice for literally every service. Netflix is better, but Prime fills in a bunch of weird gaps in the Netflix catalogue. Spotify owns and has a massive selection, but Prime's music service fills in a couple of gaps and more importantly leta me play exactly one song from my phone, without shuffling a playlist, unlike free-tier Spotify.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Prime is like a smartphone; before you get it you're like "I mean I can see how this would be useful but it doesn't seem life-changing or anything" and then after a month you'd be literally unable to function without it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I realized I needed a garment bag at 2am the other night. BAM, Primed it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like you should fix that and save yourself $9.

We only order things in November and December.

I don't get what you guys could be ordering every week. Lol

I YouTube music and buy games digitally 6 months after release in PS4 when they go on sale. We don't really need to buy anything that isn't food and Khols sends us enough coupons to make clothes nearly free.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr Hootington posted:

We only order things in November and December.

I don't get what you guys could be ordering every week. Lol
When you are in a store and see something you want, check it on Amazon first because about 95% of the time it's cheaper and you can just push a button and have it in two days.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

When you are in a store and see something you want, check it on Amazon first because about 95% of the time it's cheaper and you can just push a button and have it in two days.

Or better yet, you don't actually have to go to a store after getting off work in traffic. You can save yourself time and frustration by just waiting a day or two. Amazon Prime is the best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My time is worth way more than 3.99 shipping.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

It could be, but we honestly don't need much that isn't food. Maybe cleaning supplies and toiletries, but then I'd have to compare prices for because my gf is crazy.

X-O posted:

Or better yet, you don't actually have to go to a store after getting off work in traffic. You can save yourself time and frustration by just waiting a day or two. Amazon Prime is the best.

I live in a small town. Traffic is not a problem is everything is 10 minutes from me.

I know I'm difficult, but honest Prime isn't a big thing for me. It probably helps that I don't have the disposable income to buy all that I want. :banjo:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I buy an embarassing amount of action figures on Amazon Prime. We also use it for pretty much everything except food because we have free fast shipping and hate to leave the house, especially in the summertime.

I just looked at my history and I literally did have more orders with Prime than there were weeks in 2015, so, there's that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I buy an embarassing amount of action figures on Amazon Prime. We also use it for pretty much everything except food because we have free fast shipping and hate to leave the house, especially in the summertime.

I just looked at my history and I literally did have more orders with Prime than there were weeks in 2015, so, there's that.

In 2014 I had 87 orders! But now they do that add-on only bullshit so I can't order a $2 item and get it in 48 hours.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I get my steak rubs and trades and Blu-rays from Amazon. So multiple shipments per month

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah if you don't order a lot of stuff or live in a place where it's convenient to go out for everything you need I can see not really needing Amazon Prime. But the convenience it provides for me is so much more valuable than the price it's silly. I'd say my orders are about 70% things I actually need and 30% things I just want. I buy stuff for fixing up my house/lawn almost exclusively through Amazon. Like yesterday I ordered a new doorknob for my garage entrance door because it's been acting a bit janky lately. And last week I needed trimmer line for my edger so I placed an order for that in two minutes instead of driving 20 minutes out of my way to Lowe's where it costs more. Also I've started buying some grocery items such as detergent other things there now that it's simple to do.

Looking at it right now Amazon shows me at 98 orders in 2015. And this many so far this year.

I know that number from somewhere!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squizzle posted:

People who can't manage a 50 dollar splurge once a year probably shouldn't be spending 9 bucks a month on an Internet streaming service.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

People who can't manage a 50 dollar splurge once a year probably shouldn't be spending 9 bucks a month on an Internet streaming service.

It is $100, but please tell us more how poor people shouldn't have enjoyment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If anything, Prime's for poors.

Richers pay for 1 day.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

$9 a month is cheaper than Hulu, Netflix, and cable.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I work a disgusting amount of hours so my free time is much more valuable then shipping costs. I add stuff to my cart throughout the week and have had 19 deliveries so far this year. I consider that to be a lot. How do you have 52 in six months? Do you buy one thing at a time every three days?

"Oh hey mails here. We got an Amazon. Better place another order."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just one-click things so things come as they come. Occasionally I'll get same-day or one-day (free with Prime!) if I want something faster.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Same. I just one click order. If there's a few items on the same day they'll package them together. To me just adding stuff to cart and doing it once a week defeats the entire purpose of one or two day shipping.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Eeeeh constant cashflow can be a lot easier to handle than savings. You put $n away per month, and it can be tempting to use it for, like, an extra grocery trip in month three instead of holding on until month six. I've had a few years in dire financial straits, so I appreciate the idea of spending a small premium to defer temptation.

Plus, you could just do one month of service a couple of times a year, and catch up on all the shows you want to catch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

Plus, you could just do one month of service a couple of times a year, and catch up on all the shows you want to catch.

This is what I do for Netflix. If there's an exclusive show I want to watch I'll sign up for a month watch that show and catch up on anything that maybe I didn't know about since the last time. I used Netflix too infrequently to actually pay for it monthly. I realized I was going two or three months without actually using it and that was silly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

It is $100, but please tell us more how poor people shouldn't have enjoyment.

Prime is 100 bucks? That's pretty minor savings versus the month to month model, never mind what I said. I think I just misread other people's comments about the yearly service and made bad back of the napkin math.

I wasn't trying to say that poor people don't deserve enjoyment, and just that they shouldn't pay twice as much for it, same reason no one should ever rent furniture unless it's for a specific event or very short term.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Prime is 100 bucks? That's pretty minor savings versus the month to month model, never mind what I said. I think I just misread other people's comments about the yearly service and made bad back of the napkin math.

I wasn't trying to say that poor people don't deserve enjoyment, and just that they shouldn't pay twice as much for it, same reason no one should ever rent furniture unless it's for a specific event or very short term.

The month to month is only the Amazon Video unless I am misunderstanding. No other Prime benefits.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Sorry I spend too much time in D&D and they sure hate poor people. It is knee jerk at this point.

Squizzle summed it up well, but for some folks it is easier to budget. It ends up being an extra $18 a year to do it monthly.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 29, 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

Same. I just one click order. If there's a few items on the same day they'll package them together. To me just adding stuff to cart and doing it once a week defeats the entire purpose of one or two day shipping.

Again disgusting amount of hours. 56 at the slowest, 69 at the busiest.

I could buy a doorknob on Monday, receive it on Wednesday but I still wouldn't get around to it until Sunday. Just have it all delivered on Saturday so I can get at it after work.

Skwirl might not hate poor people, but I do. I envy their free time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When I was in college 14 years ago they gave anyone with a college email free prime for a year, year after they charged half price, probably did that a couple years and then the card I used expired and Amazon kept warning me that my credit card I used for it was expired and I needed to give them a new card to continue. I wasn't using prime much at the time so did nothing. I still have prime, and I've checked with the other credit cards I've used on Amazon and they haven't been charged for a Prime subscription and once a year I still get emails warning me that I need to give them a new credit card number to keep Prime, still have Prime.

Prime didn't include streaming video or music when I signed up, it was just (for me) a cheap way to get text books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heathen posted:

Poor people have less free time than you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heathen posted:

Again disgusting amount of hours. 56 at the slowest, 69 at the busiest.

I could buy a doorknob on Monday, receive it on Wednesday but I still wouldn't get around to it until Sunday. Just have it all delivered on Saturday so I can get at it after work.

I work abut 50 hours a week on average, but I also don't let stuff like that slide. My doorknob will likely be delivered tomorrow while I'm at work and it'll be installed on the door within 30 minutes of the time I get home unless something else is up that requires my immediate attention. Weekends are relax time. Around the house work gets done right after regular work during the week.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I live in an apartment, if my doorknob breaks I call a guy who fixes it for me. Then I open a box from Amazon Prime, which statistically speaking, contains an action figure, throw the box to my cat, and forget my doorknob exists until the next time I need to leave the house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A doorknob is not to be ignored. A doorknob is to be respected. If you ignore a doorknob this is the result

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Every since Loot Crate was invented, I stopped ordering nerd things from Amazon.

Because it made me disgusted at the entire industry of nerd consumption to the point that I seriously rethink my purchasing habits on a daily basis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Every since Loot Crate was invented, I stopped ordering nerd things from Amazon.

Because it made me disgusted at the entire industry of nerd consumption to the point that I seriously rethink my purchasing habits on a daily basis.

There's a monthly subscription box that's entirely Firefly themed and I want to know where they keep finding poo poo to cram in those loving things.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lurdiak posted:

Loot Crate and its million imitators also make me angry, but that's because it's literally "pay us for a box of random things you probably remember from your youth, except now in tchotchke form!". Ordering stuff you actually want on Amazon is a lot different than "please hit an empty nostalgia button for me every month".

Instead of ordering a Loot Crate, every month I just set twenty dollars on fire and then briefly think about the Ninja Turtles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

There's a monthly subscription box that's entirely Firefly themed and I want to know where they keep finding poo poo to cram in those loving things.

They're good until they hit month 7 or so and run out of characters.

This month's theme... Dave! You know, from episode 7. At the spaceport! Spaceport Dave!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Loot Crate and its million imitators also make me angry, but that's because it's literally "pay us for a box of random things you probably remember from your youth, except now in tchotchke form!". Ordering stuff you actually want on Amazon is a lot different than "please hit an empty nostalgia button for me every month".

Instead of ordering a Loot Crate, every month I just set twenty dollars on fire and then briefly think about the Ninja Turtles.

Loot Crate itself appears to be popular enough to get exclusive stuff. The others are literally retail products though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A doorknob is not to be ignored. A doorknob is to be respected. If you ignore a doorknob this is the result

That's not a doorknob

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That's not a doorknob

Quit treading on my joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

My absolute favorite part of War Rocket Ajax was listening to Chris and Matt (rightfully) take down con mystery boxes as a waste of loving money that no idiot should ever buy, then to turn around a week later and do a Loot Crate ad where they stressed that Loot Crate is, in fact, totally different and not a dumb monthly subscription service to worthless nerd poo poo nobody would ever loving buy.

Oh and then Chris turned around about a month or two later selling his own mystery boxes to fund his move. But don't worry, they're artisanal and curated or whatever so it's totes different than other mystery boxes, because he's just sending you a bunch of lovely comics nobody would ever buy individually (he was selling runs and actually desirable comics separately to fund his move as well).

I really like War Rocket Ajax but the entire mystery box hypocrisy of both its hosts is some of the most hilariously disingenuous bullshit.

• Locked thread