Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My issue with digital is I can't share it with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have Marvel Unlimited and read more than 10 comics a month on it, so it's a loving steal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was going to make fun of

Teenage Fansub posted:

On average I probably get 12-15 new releases a week, and there's usually back issues and trades from sales on top of that.
It was really bad when DC had three weekly series running and I was often hitting 20.

I was going to make fun of you until I realized I drink more than 15 beers in bars a week and even if it's a double issue a comic book is cheaper than a pint, so unless you're also a booze hound you are probably both healthier and have more fiscal sense than me.

When I was regularly buying singles I went a bit nuts at first, then just made a hard and fast rule of 5 books a month.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You started reading Ennis Punisher and you didn't start with Welcome Back Frank?

That's not MAX, so it won't be in the MAX tpbs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dillon can draw pretty much anything in the world, except a different face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Jubilee.

It's not an amazing run and knowing now of his skeevy behavior it's a little annoying to have Brian Wood be the first writer for an all woman X-Men book, but I liked her in that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That may be her finest hour but I didn't much like it. I mean, why the hell did she have a baby? She just decided she was keeping that kid and the authorities were like "Sure!"

It was an orphan and I assume the Jean Grey school has a poo poo ton of lawyers on retainer. I mean it's sorta like the Superman origin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry I just keep talking about dead people in this thread, but there ain't exactly a good place to talk about it elsewhere on the forums. I can't believe this Christina Grimmie poo poo. Kid was just 22! What the gently caress. I can't say I was a fan or anything but just on principle, it's so heinous.

Jesus loving Christ. 2016 can suck cock.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I stopped using a developer's track record as assurance for future products when Nintendo made a terrible console Zelda.

Adventure of Link? Because the one's that came after were really good so you shouldn't have given up so quickly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pretending that Wind Waker wasn't amazing doesn't make you cool.

I love games where you're on a boat for a good chunk of it. Wind Waker and Assassin's Creed 4 are like the top games of all time. I get pissed off at AC4 when I have to walk anywhere for too long, but if I'm sailing I loving love it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Loeb's Nova is the best thing he's ever written featuring a character named Sam, but that might be damning with faint praise, it's a good book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Same thing. Loeb created Sam Alexander.

Nova and Spider-Man being on the Avengers reminded me of something I heard about cinema. To avoid a black/white biracial relationship they would pair the black or white male with a hispanic woman.

You're half right, people don't really give a poo poo about whatever race a white dude dates in movies/tv, but if it's a black male lead the love interest is usually also black or hispanic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Men in Black - 1997, I Robot - 2004, Hancock - 2008, Focus - 2015. All white ladies.

Did he kiss any of those ladies on screen?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

An ongoing joke of USG is how she's not a mutant. I don't think there's been a single issue of North's run where Squirrel Girl has worked with a mutant to any significant degree, and there's certainly never been an issue or arc of Squirrel Girl centered in or around famous mutant locations - no stories at Genosha, Jean Grey school, etc. The themes of USG aren't X-Men-like themes - she's not really minority, she's not hated for being different, she's not persecuted. She's well-liked if a bit shy, she's not a horny teen, even beyond the retcon she's very much Not a Mutant.

In contrast Ms. Marvel had a major arc of the story be her meeting with and learning her Inhuman heritage, she spends her free time training in New Attilan, she had a major arc where she developed a major crush on a fellow Inhuman (who betrayed her and she ended up fighting her way out of New Attilan), she met Medusa who gifted her Lockjaw as a pet. The major themes of Ms. Marvel center around Kamala's desire to be a superhero - specifically a white, western superhero considering that's who she grew up idolizing - while working against the trappings of her culture while still respecting them. As a character, Kamala Khan is trapped between the fact that she's the daughter of immigrants who end up in a culture where women have strictly defined roles and a lot of her stories deal with attempting to still embrace her Pakistani heritage. She's got the typical immigrant story, where she feels stuck between two cultures and not necessary belonging to either, and the revelation that she's an Inhuman - that she's not even a member of the human race, which she had long since assumed - gives her an even heavier feeling of Otherness. GWW has, so far, been drawing fairly heavy parallels between Kamala's Pakistani-American-ness and how that's caused her troubles and her Inhuman-ness and how that's caused her troubles, while both cultures allow her to suddenly find other like-minded individuals who can sympathize with her plight.

Squirrel Girl just teamed up with All New Wolverine in that book, and she's in New Avengers, a team funded by a founding member of New Mutants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Kissing is not required to be the romantic lead!

It kinda is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Nah, there's plenty of films where it doesn't happen.

And most of them star black men opposite white women (or white women opposite black men depending on the billing).

Can you name a movie that came out this millennia where a Black male star kissed a White female co-star?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Lol if you think American tv is going to adapt a story with a largely native cast. Although, I wished I lived in a world where that was possible

I think HBO could maybe get away with it if they get sufficiently hot cast members willing to get nude, but yeah that's probably a tall order.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I've been watching Community on Netflix, and all the people who told me Donald Glover "isn't funny" and Alison Brie is "obnoxious" were horrible liars who probably voted Yes on Brexit.

Who the gently caress was telling you these lies? I know it's a goon cliche but loving sever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Donald Glover's character really was kind of bad. Now his performance was obviously great, but the character itself was weak and inconsistent. He'd switch from dumb jock to nerd to put-upon kid to sheltered dork to a young man coming to age. The uniting joke was... that he was dumb and naive I guess? That the character was mostly improvised makes sense.

But this wasn't really a problem because it was Donald Glover.

I was more surprised by the "Allison Brie is obnoxious" thing, because anyone who doesn't think she's a complete delight is clearly insane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Squizzle posted:

If you can go month-to-month instead of having to do a full year at a time, it could be better for some people.

People who can't manage a 50 dollar splurge once a year probably shouldn't be spending 9 bucks a month on an Internet streaming service.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

It is $100, but please tell us more how poor people shouldn't have enjoyment.

Prime is 100 bucks? That's pretty minor savings versus the month to month model, never mind what I said. I think I just misread other people's comments about the yearly service and made bad back of the napkin math.

I wasn't trying to say that poor people don't deserve enjoyment, and just that they shouldn't pay twice as much for it, same reason no one should ever rent furniture unless it's for a specific event or very short term.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When I was in college 14 years ago they gave anyone with a college email free prime for a year, year after they charged half price, probably did that a couple years and then the card I used expired and Amazon kept warning me that my credit card I used for it was expired and I needed to give them a new card to continue. I wasn't using prime much at the time so did nothing. I still have prime, and I've checked with the other credit cards I've used on Amazon and they haven't been charged for a Prime subscription and once a year I still get emails warning me that I need to give them a new credit card number to keep Prime, still have Prime.

Prime didn't include streaming video or music when I signed up, it was just (for me) a cheap way to get text books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heathen posted:

Skwirl might not hate poor people, but I do. I envy their free time.

Poor people have less free time than you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A doorknob is not to be ignored. A doorknob is to be respected. If you ignore a doorknob this is the result

That's not a doorknob

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I dont get snapchat

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Argue posted:

I was thinking, Marvel has a couple of recurring characters who were intentionally designed to evoke DC characters (eg: Squadron Supreme, Sentry). Does DC have any recurring characters intentionally designed to evoke Marvel characters?

Very few DC characters with serious staying power don't have their roots in the golden age of comics. So, not really. I think a couple versions of Superboy kinda felt like a riff on on young Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I don't have confidence in you simply because there's been 15 hours of July already

It's still June on the best coast/left Coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's cool. Lex is going to push it into the ocean soon enough.

I'm trying to find the Space ghost ewhere Zorak convinces him to pull a Superman to reset time then when he gets back says "you idiot, you flew the wrong way, we've been here for 3 hours."

• Locked thread