Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

Wasn't Wraith supposed to be ROM?

Allegedly.

And by Allegedly yes, totally but Hasbro said nope gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Did anyone that switched from print to digital have a hell of a time? It just feels weird to buy digital. I'm pulling the trigger on the new DC books, but man I still can't bring myself to pay $1.99 for Justice League Europe #1 when I can order the physical copy plus 29 other comics for $30 and get free shipping on that comic seller site.

Yeah, digital does feel like a huge ripoff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Data has a weight. Every comic makes it heavier.

I know a girl who believes this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a dude buying every single DC book every week. He frequently spends $75+ per visit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Do you have evidence he reads them, or is this some collector/hardcore DC fanboy thing? If he actually reads them all, good lord :stare:

We talk about the books all the time so I assume he reads everything.

zoux posted:

I wonder if there are people out there, not in the industry, who have read everything one (or both!!!) of the big 2 has ever put out.

I knew a guy who obsessively bought every Marvel book printed. He had a complete collection of North America released Marvel comics from 1971-2009. 2009 is when I lost touch with him so I assume he has soldiered on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

That's gotta be worth a pretty penny, considering he's got...what, a complete collection of every Ultimate Universe comic ever printed, for starters?

Did he have every 90s variant? Because even though they were created for the sole purpose of being collected having every single one would actually be pretty loving rare.

I'm pretty sure he only bought the main covers in most cases. Current Marvel is probably driving him insane.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

man that's a genuinely really impressive form of obsession at least. Like on the 'oh man what's going on here' scale I for some reason rank that higher than a more narrow 'I own literally every Iron-Man product I can get my hands on'. I have no idea why though.

Also I'm just jealous of whatever living space that dude is in, that must at least dominate a good sized room.

When I met him he was a freelance software engineer and was loaded. He once brought in pictures of the house he built and the entire basement was shelved for comic storage with constant climate control and stuff. It was pretty swank.

Die Laughing posted:

Were you friends with Jeph Loeb? I'm pretty sure he has every Marvel book from some point in the seventies to current.

Didn't he sell a large chunk of that when his son got sick?

DrProsek posted:

I'm torn between being impressed with that level of completionism, and confused why someone would do that. It just sounds like that's going to lead to reading a lot of books he doesn't like and have no impact on the DC books he does like, purely because "they're DC, gotta know what's going on in Doomed".

Same thing with the Marvel guy.

I have no idea if Marvel guy (Paul maybe?) even read half of what he bought.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Rhyno, you better tell me it's not true that he sold some of his collection while his son was sick. Sam Loeb died while my mom had cancer. She got better, but it made me a huge Jeph Loeb apologist.

I don't know if it's 100% true but I think I read it was to cover expenses not covered by their insurance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

FC doesn't really have much to do with the previous Crisises. Not like Infinite's link to COIE.

Barry Allen & Red Skies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Identity Crisis is important so that you know exactly how bad a Crisis can actually be.

Zero Hour had the word "Crisis" in the subtitle and it's spectacularly bad!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It's not as bad as Identity Crisis.

It's where Power Girls magic baby came from which makes it every bit as horrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

I turned 40 today,which of you nerds are older than I?

Happy Birthday! You got 3 years on me!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Constr posted:

I just finished reading The Boys after I got it on a Humble Bundle sale, and there are three thoughts:

1) The edgy gross poo poo was horrible.

2) It was pretty funny reading a comic about how horrible collateral damage from superheroes is and how they shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they want just because they have superpowers (among other stuff) after seeing Civil War. (Even though Captain America would have definitely condemned the poo poo superheroes do in The Boys)

3) The last two arcs were amazing.

I bought the whole series without reading beyond #6 and I really don't love it. I have all 6 slipcased hardcovers I will probably be selling soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You started reading Ennis Punisher and you didn't start with Welcome Back Frank?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigRed0427 posted:

I just finished the first book in Garth Ennis's Punisher Run. (Born, In The Beginning, Kitchen Irish)

He didn't specify the MAX run!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Those are all MAX comics! :11tea:

The first book in Ennis' Punisher run is Welcome Back Frank!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

EDIT: Not Waid related, but I got to hold a Captain America shield used in the first movie and now I want a nice metal one for myself, but gently caress they are like $500 at least, and I don't want one *that* bad.

There is a full scale copy coming in September for $100.

Currently unavailable but that was just the preorder that sold out.
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Legends-Captain-America-Shield/dp/B01B4NLML2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It's also plastic.

So were lots of the ones Evans used in the film!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It took Doctor Light to rape city. Did you know he likes to rape? Did you know he was killed by spectre during Rape role play of prostitutes that are dressed like teen titans? Did I mention he likes rape?

I thought everyone liked to rape?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just confirmed an in store appearance by Brian Posehn for later this month!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

/\/\/\/\AWESOME!!!!

So I'm putting together my next major purchase spree for after I finish paying off this vacation. What's the hardcover situation for Aaron's Thor?

We have four volumes of God of Thunder, two volumes of pre-Secret War FosThor, and a single post Secret War Mighty Thor?

His initial (Odinson) run is collected in two oversized HCs or four Prem HCs or 4 SCs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

The collections have cleaned up artwork and there's a bit at the end of the first one that actually tells the story of Fletcher Hanks (and is why I called him a human piece of poo poo.)

TELL THE STORY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

What are they called? I don't see them on Amazon. If you ship books out and they're still in print, I'll order them from you in a few months

It's these versions

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-God-Thun..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-God-Thun..._=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

They are both in stock at Diamond currently, I dunno if I can match the Amazon price on those.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did anyone try thawing him out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Banshee was awesome, what the hell man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OCH MOY-RAH.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Anyway, Does Preacher still hold up?

Carving up a man's head so it resembles a gigantic pecker will never not make me smile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cyborg sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, other than Kitty Pryde I can't think of a character that's inherently without value. People made amazing Carnage comics in the last decade.

Jubilee.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's not an amazing run and knowing now of his skeevy behavior it's a little annoying to have Brian Wood be the first writer for an all woman X-Men book, but I liked her in that.

That may be her finest hour but I didn't much like it. I mean, why the hell did she have a baby? She just decided she was keeping that kid and the authorities were like "Sure!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It was an orphan and I assume the Jean Grey school has a poo poo ton of lawyers on retainer. I mean it's sorta like the Superman origin.

I dunno man, in Battle of the Atom she was really surprised to see adult Shogo. Like they hadn't even started to approach the legal aspect of it and then somoene at Marvel remembered that Jubilee is terrible so they dropped the entire plot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Jubilee is awesome. You're just old and easily overwhelmed by bright colours and joy.

Your face is old!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This thread has taught me that "owns" actually means "is loving horrible in every way imaginable."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

Rhyno owns.

When have I ever denied that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

The internets has provided ample opportunity for people to say that terrible things are secretly great. For instance, Batman and Robin is the best Batman film ever made.

Uh, duh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRH-Ywpz1_I

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

All-Star Batman and Robin is an incredible comic and one of the best Batman stories ever printed.

If only Jim Lee could drawn more than one page a month. Have they ever released Miller's scripts for the last issues?

No because Lee insists they will finish the book someday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was doing to shelf sorting this morning and it hit me that it has been seventeen years since Matt Wagner finished Mage: the Hero Defined and I could really go for some new Kevin Matchstick in my life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like we're gonna hit Wizard World Chicago again this year. For a Wizard show it's actually pretty great and it's enormous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

The Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Anthony Hopkins couldn't be bother to do that poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

I tried giving the newest Nova series a shot and I have no idea who the current Nova is, what his relationship with his father is, or what's happening. Is there some series I missed beforehand?

Actually yes, he had a series that ran for 31 issues prior to Secret Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys squandered the opportunity to record a podcast at the wedding.

• Locked thread