Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Those that know me online know that I loving love the Avalanches. I've collected almost every mix, teaser, and remix they've done since releasing Since I Left You in 2001. Hell, I even wrote a post on here in 2006-2007 about LP2 and their mixes, back when I thought LP2 was a reality.

But, after 16 years of the odd-and-end remix and mix, The Avalanches finally are releasing a LP2: Wildflower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAMPOAfdH8U

http://twitter.com/amvanimere/status/738050276385427456

According to loving Pitchfork, the Avs will be releasing music during Beats 1 tonight at 12am EST.

quote:

Sixteen years after releasing their classic debut album, Since I Left You, the Avalanches are back. Zane Lowe announced on his Beats 1 show today that the group will release new music later today. He said, “Coming up at some point in the next 12 hours, new music will emerge and you will hear the first new interview with Tony [Di Blasi] and Robbie [Chater] aka the Avalanches.” He then announced on Twitter that the interview will air on Beats 1 at midnight tonight–that’s June 2 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern. Hear a teaser for the interview below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Something about the Avalanches collabing with Danny Brown makes me think we're all gonna be OK.

Strawberry Jam
Apr 16, 2004
I never thought I would see this day

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I can't believe I lived long enough to see this moment.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

I've been waiting for this for more than a third of my life. Bought SILY when I was 16 back in 2006 or so, and it's been one of my favorite records every since. Crazy replay value. After so many build ups and let downs in 2008, 2010, 2011, etc etc, I never thought this would actually see the light of day. I'm ready.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I just can't see them topping SILY. That was a perfect record.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The track is also going to be premiered sometime in the next half hour by triple j, and you can stream it here: https://radio.abc.net.au/stations/triplej/live?play=true

e: it just played. It's neat and super bouncy but SILY is such an "album" album that I'm still more excited to hear it in context.

Also I want to say that was MF Doom on the track alongside Danny Brown?

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 2, 2016

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hi! I'm a Games forum poster, but egads, I can't not post in this thread. Watching their Facebook page over the years became a running joke almost, and I thought the performance announcement and the "documentary" trailer was just master trolling, but here I am listening to a brand new track and wow 16 years, holy poo poo.

Edit: There's a clip from a song called "Subways", I guess, that plays if you call a hotline of some sort that sounds VERY much like SILY. So far what I've heard feels very much like "more music from The Avalanches" which is all I've wanted all these years.

Edit2: You can listen here: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/06/the-avalanches-have-finally-returned-with-new-single-frankie-sinatra-listen/ How they cleared a Sound of Music sample, I'll never know.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 2, 2016

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

hey that song is real good

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Holy poo poo it's really happening. And less than a month from a new Radiohead album. Great year (for music).

Great track.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjfspM5sDIA

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

hey that video is real good

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I've been waiting for this for more than a third of my life. Bought SILY when I was 16 back in 2006 or so, and it's been one of my favorite records every since. Crazy replay value. After so many build ups and let downs in 2008, 2010, 2011, etc etc, I never thought this would actually see the light of day. I'm ready.

Half my life here. Literally half my life (16 years old in 2000). It turns out that I've wanted this longer and more fervently than...well...pretty much almost anything else in my life. Faith is sometimes rewarded!

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
This "Frankie Sinatra" song is a horrible piece of poo poo, jeez. Total garbage. Disaster.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This "Frankie Sinatra" song is a horrible piece of poo poo, jeez. Total garbage. Disaster.

Care to elaborate? I thought it was fine, except that Danny Brown was so far down in the mix I could barely hear him.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

hughesta posted:

I can't believe I lived long enough to see this moment.

screaden posted:

Care to elaborate? I thought it was fine, except that Danny Brown was so far down in the mix I could barely hear him.

Ha, this seems to be a MASSIVE problem for DB features. He had one on a Freddie Gibbs album a year or two back and you literally couldn't hear him.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I think it sounds fine in the actual track (rather than the video, which obviously has other things going on)

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Well I got a big surprise today, can't believe it...good song too, can't wait to hear the full album

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

The last time I waited 16 years for something to be released it ended up having Jar Jar Binks in it. Hoping this album fairs better.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Real Name Grover posted:

I think it sounds fine in the actual track (rather than the video, which obviously has other things going on)

Exactly. The actual track on Spotify sounds more like Avs.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
I don't like the new song at all (if I had to choose just ONE Danny Brown-featuring piece of annoying circus music I'd actually take the insane clown posse one) but I think Frontier Psychiatrist is the worst thing on SILY, so. Majorly excited for a new album!!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Wasn't the Avalanches' whole gimmick that they used nothing but samples and sampled vocals in their songs? I think just having a dude rapping over the top of it kind of diminishes it, even if (in my opinion) the song itself still sounds good.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I can't loving believe this is happening

15 years

15 years of waiting

Who knows how many years of "I hope the avalanches finish this year". I remember thinking that around the time Random Access Memories was happening, and many times before.

My god my god

Edit: New track is alright. Helps that I loooooooove DB and MFD. I'd buy a copy even if it was nothing but fart sounds. I just need to know it's not a hallucination.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Creature posted:

I just can't see them topping SILY. That was a perfect record.

Yeah, if nothing else in a decade and a half did it I'm certainly not expecting them to just magic their way back into my life like that. Then again even the slim chance is enough to carry a a torch for.

Obviously, as anyone here can attest lol.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Intel&Sebastian posted:

15 years

15 years of waiting

Who knows how many years of "I hope the avalanches finish this year". I remember thinking that around the time Random Access Memories was happening, and many times before.

My god my god

Edit: New track is alright. Helps that I loooooooove DB and MFD. I'd buy a copy even if it was nothing but fart sounds. I just need to know it's not a hallucination.

I was hoping you'd make your way into this thread.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Wasn't the Avalanches' whole gimmick that they used nothing but samples and sampled vocals in their songs? I think just having a dude rapping over the top of it kind of diminishes it, even if (in my opinion) the song itself still sounds good.

There are plenty of DJs that just put out mix albums, the Avalanches didn't invent the style, they just did it amazingly.

Their first EP was a proper rap album, so I don't even think sampling is their "gimmick" at all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Me too.

Just to make absolutely sure: Everyone in here has heard "At last alone" and "When I met you" right? They're both mixes and they're both essential if you like SILY at all. WIMY is basically an alternate version of SILY, I've heard various stories about it's origins but whatever it is, it's must have.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Me too.

Just to make absolutely sure: Everyone in here has heard "At last alone" and "When I met you" right? They're both mixes and they're both essential if you like SILY at all. WIMY is basically an alternate version of SILY, I've heard various stories about it's origins but whatever it is, it's must have.

I can't believe you'd talk mixes and not include Brains.

Gimix/When I Left You - http://www.theavalanches.com/music/The%20Avalanches%20GIMIX%20mixtape.mp3
At Last Alone - playlist
Brains - http://www.theavalanches.com/music/DJ%20Set%20-%20Brains%20Party%20@%20St%20Jeromes%20%282005%29.mp3

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
These guys are a real mystery to me. Frankie Sinatra isn't horrible but it's not great... I wouldn't even say "good"... ironically, one of the biggest issue is the overall production. Doom's vocals are slightly soft but sound good on the track - there's a bit of overdrive that gives them a punch. Danny's vocals sound about half as loud and totally recede into the background, and it sounds like there's no processing on them whatsoever, like they're just using what came straight from the microphone.

Anyways how on earth can the first Avalanches track in 16 years have bad production???

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Yeah true. On first glance, Brains is a more challenging mix with the feeling of a deep track.

On second glance it has the Kojack cancellation protest song, which is the greatest song on Earth, and should be spread far and wide.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I imagine that the album will not represent 16 years of work but will instead represent the 6 months or whatever that it took to produce what we're actually hearing.

I'm just hoping for more Avalanches, nothing more. Back when I would follow them more closely (2007ish?) they were taking about the 2nd album being completely different to SILY which was less interesting to me, so I'm pleased so far!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk, I'm sure 16 years at least nets you some real gems for undiscovered samples no matter what else.

Edit: I forgot how great Brains is for background work tunes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I was recently reminded that in an old interview Danny Brown called one of his Avalanches tracks "OK" and that other was going to change the world. Gotta assume Frankie is the former, not to poo on it too much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
who the gently caress mixed this

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

15 years

15 years of waiting

My god my god

You could make a remix of Frankie Sinatra with nothing but fart samples and it would be hardly noticeable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
pre-order cancelled, 15 years wasted

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Snippet leaked: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxhaoTW1ESL6NVpGRE1BWF9teVU/view

Shazam checks it out as legit.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A clip of Subways live at Primavera, for those who are wondering where the "avalanches sound" is and might not be digging Frankie Sinatra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csBPQ9E5z-8

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I can't believe Since I Left You was 16 loving years ago. I was in high school and downloaded that album off of Napster originally. Frankie Sinatra has grown on me after a few listens. The terrible mixing is probably the most egregious thing since I can barely understand Danny Brown or MFDOOM half of the time.

I love the hook though and I've had it in my head for the last two nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MauveAvenger
Dec 12, 2004

It's 'I hope we never part'. Now get it right or pay the price!
My first reaction to 'Frankie Sinatra' was that it was just ok. After watching a fan video of 'Subways' last night at Primavera (despite the lovely sound quality) and waiting 9 years for this album, I'm going loving bonkers. Also, the other DB track 'The Wozard of Iz' in the STLU trailer sounds really good. Apparently so good that DB said it will "change the world" .

• Locked thread