Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

So the album is less "original-ish" tracks like Frankie Sinatra and more like Subways and Colours that sound more like where SILY left off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The Noisy Eater :xd:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SgtScruffy posted:

So the album is less "original-ish" tracks like Frankie Sinatra and more like Subways and Colours that sound more like where SILY left off?

Yeah I'd say so, although there's ones that could qualify as either, there's a few different rap features.

Impressions:
- They're still impeccable bass line curators/choppers
- it seems like a loose concept album with the same (as opposed to, a different) feeling as sily, like you're walking through a super weird city or block party
- I can't tell if the late track that the sleepy jackson/empire of the sun guy is on is a sleepy jackson sample or just him
- really glad they kept the "party crowd" background noise theme going, love that in sily
- opinions on it are probably gonna live or die on whether you can stomach the occasional bout of non sampled people singing over your avalanches.
- its more of a psychadelic and hip hop turn from them, but it sits nicely in the sily and big mix canon. Feel like "Brains" especially explains where their heads were for a lot of it.

I put on daft punks electroma to stare at while listening and I forgot how great that is too.

Edit: Early front-runner for sample that gets stuck in my head: "I'm livin at the YYYYYMCA"

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 1, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://pitchfork.com/news/66511-the-avalanches-reveal-all-about-the-samples-on-new-album-wildflower/

quote:

The song “The Noisy Eater” features a sample of the Beatles' iconic hit “Come Together,” the sampling of which was apparently directly approved by Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono. Perhaps the oddest sample discussed in the breakdown is in “Live A Lifetime Love,” which samples American Juggalo, a documentary about Insane Clown Posse.

Edit: I agree with the NME review guy that it meanders at times, but feel safe throwing the rest of his opinions in the trash thanks to his very helpful note that he finds Frontier Psychiatrist "annoying".

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 1, 2016

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I was just about to ask how the gently caress they managed to clear Beatles samples. Frankie Sinatra also sounds like it samples Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! at 3:04, but listening more closely I think it is just a really good recreation.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://pitchfork.com/features/interview/9912-the-avalanches-the-snow-must-go-on/

quote:

As far as samples, they started clearing stuff years ago, but then there would be some hold-up and they’d have to go back and renegotiate. People would give permission for us to use the sample, and then a certain amount of time would elapse and they would Google who the band is and be like, “Oh poo poo, I can ask for more money.” That sort of thing took forever. And it’s all sampled, really. There are the guest vocals and beautiful orchestration from [French composer] Jean-Michel Bernard, but every song is a sample-based song.

quote:

I heard that you said you’d like to put something else out in the next three years.

RC: Oh, really? That wasn’t very smart of me to say.

Lots more in there but lol

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016
Where can I listen to this that isn't Apple Music?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The future :\

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

The future :\

can you give me the web address for that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
guessing the Apple Music thing is US-only :(

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Escobarbarian posted:

guessing the Apple Music thing is US-only :(
everywhere but Europe is what I heard.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

eats-almonds posted:

can you give me the web address for that?

http://www.zombo.com

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress it, I'll die if I have to wait til Friday. Signed up for a free 3 month Apple Music trial. Listening now :h:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I did acid for the first time and listened to this album when I was peaking and I don't think I'll ever forget it. Stunning album, totally worth the wait.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

The Noisy Eater for song of the summer.

After the shock of "Hey, why are there guys singin' over my Avalanches?" wears off, it's a pretty phenomenal album. Perfect? No. But its got character in spades. It will be compared to SILY and it won't be fair. This isn't SILY...but there aren't many albums you could compare this to. If nothing else, its nice to know that SILY wasn't a fluke. These guys are talented as gently caress.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lesson learned, Apple Music is a gigantic heap of poo poo that takes over your phone, turns on a whole bunch of "features" you didn't want, and fucks up stats like play counts and last played when syncing with iTunes.

I loving noped out of that poo poo almost immediately after listening to Wildflower through once. I'll just have to wait until I can buy it this Friday.

What a goddamn amazing album though. So much variety. I like the guest vocalist angle they're doing as well, it makes the songs a little more standalone even though the album still flows flawlessly.

I hope in a few years they get together with Damon Albarn and do a Gorillavanches album :3:

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if I can really be trusted to have an objective opinion on this album after waiting half my life for it but its still doing the business on me after 3 listens although there's no real "holy gently caress" track jumping out at me like Frontier Psychiatrist did

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I also couldn't figure out what "noisy eater" reminded me of and then I remembered that this isn't the first guest appearance by Biz Markie about eating cereal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkiAksdFLc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I agree there's no immediate standout track (Hungry Eater comes close) but gently caress the album as a whole is so great. The tracks with rap sections are actually my favourites which I wasn't expecting. Not sure why Wozard of Iz was meant to be such a game-changer tbh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is a good album and I don't know how good and won't until it has had a week or so to grow on me but I'm content with this as a followup to SILY.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It does feel like a great follow up to SILY. Like you found out your best friend has a younger sibling that wants to hang out too and they turned out to be different but pretty cool still.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Hedrigall posted:

Lesson learned, Apple Music is a gigantic heap of poo poo that takes over your phone, turns on a whole bunch of "features" you didn't want, and fucks up stats like play counts and last played when syncing with iTunes.

I loving noped out of that poo poo almost immediately after listening to Wildflower through once. I'll just have to wait until I can buy it this Friday.

What a goddamn amazing album though. So much variety. I like the guest vocalist angle they're doing as well, it makes the songs a little more standalone even though the album still flows flawlessly.

I hope in a few years they get together with Damon Albarn and do a Gorillavanches album :3:

It's possible to use the streaming part of Apple Music on your phone without activating all the extra library-loving stuff. :eng101:

I've listened to this a few times over the last few days. Not a fan of hip hop in general (I'm an indie-pop listening pansy) but I don't mind the guest spots at all. Frankie Sinatra has even won me over.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://vimeo.com/173438485

This loving video, y'all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
After living with it for a while certain sections and tracks are growing (Harmony, Sunshine, Saturday Night Inside Out). Kaleidescope Lovers and Stepkids both sound like cut tracks from the "At Last Alone" EP and it weirds me out. I wouldn't be shocked to hear it's the same vocalist from songs like Slow Walking.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

It really doesn't matter because its hosed up to compare an album to since I left you, an album which I will keep listening to until I die, but I feel like Ill forget about wildflower pretty quick. Its not bad and it doesn't even bother me because SILY is still so loving good... how is that possible? No other album in my lifetime even comes close to being as re-listenable as this thing.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 7, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The CD has leaked... for those of you who care about such things.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I think it's gorgeous and it may be my fav release this year.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Whose got the sample listings?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So when's this poo poo coming to Spotify because I needs me some workout tunes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Whose got the sample listings?

Not a listing but the Onion AV review had a few catches I hadn't heard about yet.

http://www.avclub.com/review/avalanches-are-back-breezy-hallucinatory-wildflowe-239122

I agree with about 80% of the words in that review

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Can't stop listening to The Noisy Eater

Biz Markie forever

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 10, 2016

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

http://thewas.xyz

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Album up on Spotify.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://pitchfork.com/news/67810-the-avalanches-announce-new-bbc-essential-mix/

I know it'll be everywhere but if someone gets a copy of this recorded plz share

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

MC Eating Disorder posted:

there's no real "holy gently caress" track jumping out at me like Frontier Psychiatrist did

After hearing Frankie Sinatra a couple months back, and liking it okay except for the lovely mixing on the YouTube video, I've finally sat down and listened to the whole album and yeah, I have to agree that there just aren't that many tracks that stand out on this album for me. It's all good, but mostly it's just good. I guess I just like Avalanches stuff that deviates the most from what the average Avalanches song is, like Frontier Psychiatrist or Undersea Community or Yamaha Superstar.

The majority of this album overall has a nice sound to it, but most of the tracks just sort of move along with the same texture and tone all the way through and just aren't very dynamic. It's nice for background music, but I can't say I'd actively listen to 80% of it. I've only picked up a few tracks off of Wildflower. The two Danny Brown features, The Noisy Eater, and Because I'm Me.

By the way, for folks who are really enjoying The Noisy Eater, check out the band The Bran Flakes. The instrumental on Noisy Eater sounds like it could totally be a Bran Flakes tune, albeit with much higher production values.

dot communist fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 27, 2016

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this album isn't bad, but i don't like it. it's like a disco mix the go! team would come up with. the beauty of siyl was its volatility and how much it changed and how quick it changed, yet flowed seamlessly and went all over the goddamn map. every 15s you're somewhere different, but still close to where you were. this is just way lazier and the songs play out way too long and i can't get into it. i guess the thing is siyl wasn't real comprised of songs, it was more like fragments or something.

the beginning of harmony tells me they still have good ears, but...that's all i can get.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
The BBC mix (which is here for the next month or so: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pd5sc) is pretty great.

I feel like the bass in Wildflower never really drops. Like SILY is so chock full of brilliant basslines that hit like one-two punches, and for whatever reason on Wildflower as soon as a great bassline gets grooving a sweep filter comes in and filters it out. Subways is a great example of this. I just want to dance, but it feels like they keep pulling the groove out from under.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I agree with the above, but I really enjoy listening to both albums back to back. It's like a party then an after party.

Wildflower just isn't as full as SILY. Sound, samples, and soul. But I still like it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Intel&Sebastian posted:

http://pitchfork.com/news/67810-the-avalanches-announce-new-bbc-essential-mix/

I know it'll be everywhere but if someone gets a copy of this recorded plz share

Yo Intel - what'd you think of this mix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ive been waiting until I can get it in a file instead of streaming

• Locked thread