Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
B,D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Gonna take a slightly different tack with A [north], B. Let's get enough food that we're not dancing on the razor's edge with catastrophe, but a modest rice expansion now and a mushroom farm in summer should be sufficient. Meanwhile, even if the mine to the north doesn't have any new resources and has to be developed to produce crops, having so much more land available will free us to save labor at the expense of efficient land use. Combine that with farmhands being free after the planting season and we should have plenty of labor free for the summer.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B & H

Have part of our trog population dig or clear out a suitable cellar. One of our only real advantages here is easy access to climate stable underground food storage, so let's get on that. It should mitigate a lot of possible catastrophes.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Switching to D and tran's H. If we can get a well going, even better. I want to be able to pull the roof over our heads and not be seen for a decade if we have to.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B and D

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I vote for B & F.

Also, I'd like to submit the name, Murderville.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A and D

And keeping with the japanese theme from the Tengu, I suggest we name our village Tougenkyou.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
A North or South and F.

I think we need to Explore because we are bird people. Let's take advantage of our wings and get to know the area better.

I think we need to visit the Kami Court because any world with gods the gods are gonna be pissed if you don't make it a priority to normalise relations.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Barbed Tongues posted:

Name Vote: Mount Tengri-La

Seconding Mount Tengri-La

A - South
F

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
For a name, I guess Tycho seems appropriate.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
A (East) - The cities of man crumble in the desert and they avoid its deadly wastes, but by wing and wit the Tengu are advantaged in uncovering their secrets and the same powers that cannibalistic and terrified men turned to in the last days of their fallen cities are well known to the trog.

D Food security should be our number one priority. Quantity and diversification are musts.

I put forward that this once majestic mountain, gutted by dwarf folk and picked dry by our tribe-who-does-not-waste should be called the Carrion Crag, in deference and honor of its sacrifice.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We should call it Moria :colbert:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SerSpook posted:

We should call it Moria :colbert:

Moria Money, Moria problems.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
A, north. Time to start some deforestation to annoy the elves.

D: Plump helmets will see us through the lean years.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Looking forward, I'm assuming we've got three labor points total but farming takes up one of them in spring and autumn. So in summer we can set up a mushroom farm, build that statue, and transplant a bit of bamboo from the forest to the south of the crater and let it start growing there. Autumn we meet with the Kami court, winter we perform the statue destruction ritual. That leaves three actions for other stuff, possibly exploiting the northern crater, or making crafts or whatever.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Carrion Crag

As for the choices, we need to maximize our action point gain. It's better to invest into food now and be able to invest more into food AND explore every turn after this, than explore now. B & D

Megazver fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 5, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
B and E are my workforce votes; I want more of a buffer for our food supplies and The Prince of Destruction's ire would be a dumb thing to draw.

I like the name Tengri-La.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B, D

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Voting B and D.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Seems to me that B won, but I will make a proper count and post either later today or tomorrow.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Abyssal Squid posted:

Bog iron is actually really lovely, though? Way better to just pluck premade swords out of the mire.

Yeah bog iron is atrociously crap especially for swords. I wrote an article on Viking swords recently that touched on this fact, and that the best swords were generally bought from the Frankish, to the point where one Frankish king banned the sale of swords to the Norse entirely because he realised they were going to get rolled.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Tale of Tengri-La, book the first

quote:

At the beginning of each season, the elders of Tengri-La would gather in one of the biggest huts, near the centre of the Upmost Ring settlement, to discuss important matters and decide what needed to be done in the following season.

"My friends!" exclaimed Ryou-enu, eldest of the Tengu, white of feathers and bright of mind. "We have more people than we have fields for them to work with, and yet our food reserves are not rosy. That is a grave shame! I propose that we have our faithful workers till more soil and plant more rice, that the dread spectre of Hidarugami, kami of starvation, may never come to haunt our fair village!"
Many of the tengu cawed appreciatively, and many trogs clacked their tongues in agreement; the gnoll delegation said nothing.

"My flockmate speaks well" added Chika-ene, lorekeeper and scribe, who kept in her lap the bamboo scroll on which she would write down the elders' decisions. "But may I remind the congregation that before the year is over, we owe a sacrifice of stone to the Prince. It would be wise to do so in summer, when the needs of our food-giving plants are at their lowest."
The tengus nodded enthusiastically, proud of the wisdom of their scribe, and the trogs stomped their feet to show appreciation. The gnolls nodded.

Then spoke Elezor of the Split Boulder, whose long tail denoted him as an exceptionally elder trog, perhaps the oldest in all of Tengri-La: "I speak for my people when I say that we agree with your principles, honored Tengus: we really do need to safeguard our food reserves and our relationship with what lies beyond. But we propose another way to reach that destination: we wish to dig into the earth and make a mushroom farm out of the waste that we produce, and to speak with the Deep Powers that lie under our feet."

"To appease ghosts and spirits on an empty stomach" exclaimed Jumaania, the gnoll veteran huntress with fire in her liver and steel in her teeth "is a fool's errand. Food should be our priority; on that subject I need to remind you, honored elders, that my people cannot eat rice or mushrooms, and we stand to gain no benefit from these works."

There was some loud cawing from the tengu side of the room, some apologetic, some outraged. Then Ephram, nephew of Elezor and a respected farmer, stepped forward.
"We mean no insult or offense, great hunter. Our work is tied to the cycle of season, and to work on our farms now would reap us a great benefit within the year. I assure you that you will benefit as well, since I am sure that our mushrooms would make good feed for your komodo drakes."

A paw touches Jumaania's shoulder. It is Tendaji, the matriarch, leaning on her bamboo staff with a drake skull on top. She shakes her head at her younger counterpart, then adresses the rest of the congregation. "Very well, fellow elders. We realize that our need seem unusual to you, but just like you would feed a tengu or trog what he needs to survive, you should do the same for a gnoll."

As matriarch Tendaji says, each race has their own needs and desires, which you will need to take into account to safeguard the village's harmony. Wheter or not their needs are met changes that race's mood. As long as everyone is fed and safe, you be faced with malcontent and revolutions, but remember that an happy village is an efficient village.

Generally speaking:

Tengus like:
-Clever solutions
-Grand and flamboyant gestures and objects
-Being in good standing with kami courts
Trogs like:
-Learning and making use of the supernatural
-Community and working in large groups
-Living under or near the earth
Gnolls like:
-Making good use of what you have
-Prudent but constant expansion
-Animals to hunt and train
Everyone likes:
-Long, healthy lives
-Abundant, varied food
-Music and art in all of their forms.

Year 1, summer
Your food reserves are adequate.
At the beginning of the season, you have your first rice harvest. It is neither good nor bad, which means that, because of the new fields you tilled and planted, you have a bit more rice than you strictly need. After that, the fields just need to be kept free of weeds and rocks in preparation for the next planting season in autumn.
The mushroom farm is set up, and will have its first harvest in autumn.

Mood:
Tengus: Contented
Trogs: Contented
Gnolls: Optimistic

Events
-A discovery! Someone in the village has had a bright idea and wants to put it into practice. Write in what that bright idea was, and how to put it into practice, keeping in mind that while your monsters are certainly clever, they have very limited materials. To give you a vague idea of where you stand now: they know farming, and writing, and most other technologies you would associate with Sumerian and South American civilizations; they also know how to build tools and simple buildings out of bamboo and stone.

-Pygmy goats! A whole herd of them has been sighted south of your mine. All gnolls lick their chops at the thought, but their matriarchs remind them that hunting them is one thing, but the best would be to capture them and raise them as well. If only the grassy fields weren't all on the south of the mine, far from the security of the base camp...

-A warning from the kami court! "Winds of dust and thirst shall fall upon your fields, three weeks after the days begin to grow shorter. See how your Prince honors his part of the deal! Make sure that you do the same."

Workforce:
You have 3 workforce points to assign.
A) More rice fields! Expanding your fields once again will lock up 1 workforce point per season, assuming you want those fields tended, but will generate even more food.
B) More mushroom farms! Because they don't require as much care, you can have another one without compromising your workforce.
C) Send an hunting expedition to capture the pygmy goats! If you vote for this, specify how you plan to feed them, since there isn't enough grass on your side for them to graze.
D) Send an hunting expedition to hunt the pygmy goats! We can't raise them anyway, we might as well get some meat out of the deal.
E) Do something about the Prince's warning. But what?
F) Start working on the ritual for the Prince. This will prepare the sculpture, to enact the ritual at a later date.
G) Complete the ritual. This will consume 2 workforce points, but will finish the ritual in one go.
H) Pray to the Deep Powers.
I) Visit the kami court.
L) Write-in something else to do.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 14, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Can we grow grass farm somewhere in the mountain?

How safe is it to build an outpost ranch at the goat spot with a few guards?

is there any existing dwarven sculpture in the mine that we can ritual break instead?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Can we grow grass farm somewhere in the mountain?

How safe is it to build an outpost ranch at the goat spot with a few guards?

is there any existing dwarven sculpture in the mine that we can ritual break instead?

You could! You would need to plant it on the uppermost ring of the mine, which is composed of soil, or on the soil surrounding the hole. Making such a farm would only cost you 1 workforce point, which will be locked down for a while until there is enough grass for it to become self-sufficient. It should take about two to three seasons.

There is no immediate danger around you that you know of, but part of the reason you chose this place is that it is a hole in the ground and that your village cannot be seen from the Conclave's lands. Guards stationed around the herd could be mistaken for bandits and attract attention. They should be able to rejoin the main group should they notice an incoming menace, however.

Even if there were scultpures in the mine for some reason, the purpose of the ritual is to replicate the destruction of Grandfather Mountain, previous kami ruler of this court, at the hands of the Prince of Destruction. The sculpture must represent the ancient kami specifically, not some dwarven commander or other.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

G
L. Grass farm: everyone should be happy for the future meat, and the greenery makes our home look nicer. Plant some flowers on it to improve aesthetic.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

DG

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Nyaa posted:

G
L. Grass farm: everyone should be happy for the future meat, and the greenery makes our home look nicer. Plant some flowers on it to improve aesthetic.

Seconding this - we should really get those goats, but until we have grass to feed them it's unsustainable anyhow. Additionally, it gets us set up for some sort of food-redundancy for when the famine comes. Getting the ritual done is probably going to piss off the gnolls a bit because they already think it's a bit spurious and it comes at a cost of other, gnoll-friendlier options, but it's important to keep our supernatural allies happy - and the grass farm is for them, and they'll probably appreciate the upper ring devoted to them.

edit: Right, the discovery - well, we have water from a well north of us, but there was mention of underground rivers earlier in the thread. I propose that someone found a convenient one and set up a clever irrigation system that relies on natural groundwater flow and automates our need to do it manually.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 6, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
C, F and L (start farming dirt grass) seem like good choices.

Voting for Draught Warning) and discovery: Irrigation system.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 6, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

EDIT: I misread stuff

on that note: BLF, where L is to create a nearby grass farm

Prince's warning: Start rationing rice in expectation of a failed harvest in the future.

Invention: The acoustics of the mine and the combined singing voices of Tengu, Gnolls and Trogs together at difference melodies in certain spots in the mine makes some beautiful music.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 6, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I just realized that reacting to the Prince's warning is something that needs to be adresses, not chose. So on top of the first vote, vote on what should be done about the Prince's warning.

Also vote on what has been discovered, as mentioned in the events.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 6, 2016

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Discovery Vote - Herding!

Snojun-One-Ear passed her idea around the Gnollish campfires, "We need not hold the goats on our own land. Our people yearn to explore the area around Tengri-La for hunting in the future. Let us spear two goblins with one stick: search out nearby grasslands to feed the beasts and catch our first look at the lands beyond our immediate borders."

Warning Vote - Kami Art History

Hold a talent contest to appoint an apprentice lore-keeper to Chika-ene to record and commemorate each warning and communication that is deemed important to our people. It's a small token of our respect for the warning and words of the wise spirits. Assign one tier of walls for a great mural/carving for the art history to be made.

Workplace votes

C: Capture the Pygmy Goats
L2: Herd the Pygmy Goats in the nearby Lands
F: Finish the statue for the Prince of Destruction

e: updated below

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 6, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Nyaa posted:

G

I'm in favor for this.

Also Stock Food for a poor harvest, and Store water to mitigate the coming drought less devastating

As for the discovery, Certain places in this large hole have magnificent accoustics, and songs sung (or warnings shouted) there can be heard far and wide.

Note: I don't actually know anything about accoustics.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Reminder guys: if the drought is coming 3 weeks after summer solstice, then it would hit around mid-july in earth terms: so middle of summer, this turn.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

dog kisser posted:

edit: Right, the discovery - well, we have water from a well north of us, but there was mention of underground rivers earlier in the thread. I propose that someone found a convenient one and set up a clever irrigation system that relies on natural groundwater flow and automates our need to do it manually.

Also this

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

clever irrigating system, keep special hot spring

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
While writing this post Barbed Tongues made a good point about herding, however that would leave us ill-equipped to deal with the incoming drought. Adapting Tongue's plan to deal with that.

Our concerns at the moment:
There will be a drought
There are animals outside our town
Ritual deadlines

Starting next Season we will have:
+1 Working mushroom farm which will improve our currently okay food situation.. which will be ruined by:
- Ongoing drought? (3 weeks after summer equinox, comes into play during this turn)

Discovery vote: As Barbed Tongues suggested Herding

E Have trogs dig additional shafts or tunnels to tap into the underwater rivers.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Look, to the people who suggest herding the goats into nearby lands. Remember there is very little food in the nearby lands. We should make sure those goats have something to eat before we send them here.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Well we know there is the patch of greenery that they currently are in. The herding will be important if/when we have to get them to safety

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Nyaa posted:

G

Aight, I'll +1 this.

Shogeton posted:

Also Stock Food for a poor harvest, and Store water to mitigate the coming drought less devastating

As for the discovery, Certain places in this large hole have magnificent accoustics, and songs sung (or warnings shouted) there can be heard far and wide.

Note: I don't actually know anything about accoustics.

And I approve these options also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Shogeton posted:

Look, to the people who suggest herding the goats into nearby lands. Remember there is very little food in the nearby lands. We should make sure those goats have something to eat before we send them here.

There is very little food for us. Not sure for goats - I mean, they came from somewhere. Also, my primary concern about the grass farm is that it'll take too long to grow relative to what we'll need. It doesn't feed/water the beasts now, which mean we'd have to dip into our personal stores to keep them alive. No real point to a grass farm if the goats will all starve before then.

I've been swayed by the drought/water concerns, though:

E: Have trogs dig additional shafts or tunnels to tap into the underwater rivers.

• Locked thread