Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Barbed Tongues posted:

Also, my primary concern about the grass farm is that it'll take too long to grow relative to what we'll need. It doesn't feed/water the beasts now, which mean we'd have to dip into our personal stores to keep them alive. No real point to a grass farm if the goats will all starve before then.
Pax mentioned in irc that we can spend action to harvest nearby grass to temporary feed the goat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

There is grass, but if we're starting to herd the goats now it means:
A: We herd the goats at the other side of the big hole, very far from the settlement and within sight of civilizaiton.
B: We herd the goats near our village, where there is no grass growing currently. To quote the OP: If only the grassy fields weren't all on the south of the mine, far from the security of the base camp...
C: We herd the goats near our village, and spend time and actions harvesting grass.

That's why I personally favour letting the goats just hang out for a bit where they are, and just preparing the meadows for them.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I agree with you, that's why i didn't vote for herding goat now.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Shogeton posted:

That's why I personally favour letting the goats just hang out for a bit where they are, and just preparing the meadows for them.

Are people confident they will stick around and won't migrate out of the area or become victims to other hunters / events?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Barbed Tongues posted:

Are people confident they will stick around and won't migrate out of the area or become victims to other hunters / events?
I am hoping there is nothing happen to them and they will migrate back to the same spot next year if they leave too soon. Hopefully with at least a surviving breeding pair. Either way, with a grass farm ready, we can capture any breeding pair of animal in the forest to start a ranch.

You can vote on killing them all now and leave a pair for breeding if you think they will never come back. But building more farm or grass field is more effecient long term.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 6, 2016

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

C, F, L

Herd the goats over to the grass on the southern rim.
Build the statue, complete the ritual later.
Write-in: Transplant some bamboo to the edges of the grass field, killing two birds with one stone. The goats get fenced in, and before too long we have access to bamboo without leaving the crater for the base of the mountain.

Bright idea! Crude irrigation system - walking to the base of the mountain and carrying buckets all the way up is backbreaking labor. What if we could haul the water without going all the way down ourselves?

Brilliant invention - Bucket Pump

It'll take a lot of labor to set up (if a whole workforce point, this counts as E, heed the prince's warning and hold back on C, herd the goats) but should save a lot of labor in the long run. Maybe we can get some bamboo or reeds growing around the reservoirs too, to give them some cooling shade and have better access to those resources. It's hardly perfectly efficient, since you've got to carry the bamboo chain along with the buckets, and longer chains are more fragile meaning there have to be several reservoirs each with their own pump all the way up the mountain. On the bright side, it's a lot faster and safer than walking, and the added weight of the bamboo chain is more than outweighed by not having to carry your whole person up and down the mountain, not to mention losing the yoke.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

It'd probably be a bad idea to irritate our patron kami by not doing the ritual. prepare the sacrifice. And while we're at it, we should consider 'conquering' the other strip-mined mountain. I suspect that our Prince will want us to expand his domain, and this may have something to do with the warning.

Also voting Abyssal Squid's discovery; we'll need all the help we can get.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Obviously we discover boozemaking (looking for some delicious Sake) if we haven't yet. I mean, the ancient Sumerians had beer so perhaps we know that too, but I'm voting this just in case.

A for more rice for more booze.
F, because summer and winter are the season where we have the least farm realted poo poo to do and thus have the most time. Better get this whole thing started.
E Have the Trogs breach the underwater rivers, yeah.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This is very nice, thank you!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
CEL: Build a simple bamboo irrigation system and start seeding long grasses. The grass will grow without any work on our part, the goats themselves will tend to it as they graze. The irrigation system is literally just bamboo cut in half and joined together at the ends to make a trough, holes bored in the wood drip water over things we want to irrigate. We can power it with a relative handful of workers drawing water and pouring it into a simple elevated bucket near the top.

For the discovery, Underground food storage. Mentioned it before, but it'll greatly improve our ability to save a food surplus. This is absolutely crucial for making our community disaster resistant.

Tran fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 6, 2016

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Is there any mountain left to the mountain, or has it been mined so deep that the rim is level with the surrounding terrain? I'd been assuming that you had to climb up a ways to get into the pit, but if not that changes some things.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Can we not go and bring the goats in and send people to make hay occasionally?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Apocron posted:

Can we not go and bring the goats in and send people to make hay occasionally?

Sure, but it would mean sending labor southward on a regular basis to cut and transport hay when we could just be growing it locally. It's not like we can farm our rice fields forever without rest. They'll have to be left fallow for a time any way we look at it, may as well let them grow animal fodder while they do so. As a bonus it encourages the grazing goats to fertilize the plot.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Abyssal Squid posted:

Is there any mountain left to the mountain, or has it been mined so deep that the rim is level with the surrounding terrain? I'd been assuming that you had to climb up a ways to get into the pit, but if not that changes some things.

You have to climb up a ways to get out of the pit. That's what makes it a pit, it is a hole in the ground.

Speaking of our hole in the ground...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to go another approach and have us discover that we can use a water wheel to power a rotisserie.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

You have to climb up a ways to get out of the pit. That's what makes it a pit, it is a hole in the ground.

Speaking of our hole in the ground...

Okay so not a pit with a rim around it, it's not at all a mountain anymore. That makes pumps kinda redundant then, whoops!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Excitement can be felt throughout the gnoll camp. Today their expert huntresses are joined by young tengus and trogs, strong and yearning for adventure in but too inexperienced to safely live on their own. The huntresses select who will accompany them, each with their own standards, some laxer than others (some deliberately pick the least promising ones to teach them that their place is not on the hunt, or to have a giggle at them), arm themselves with stone axes and bamboo javelins and set off to hunt the pygmy herd.

It takes longer the young ones expected: distances are tricky to judge in this flat terrain, and the herd moves slowly but connstantly, to munch on fresh grass long enough to be nourished but not so much that they ruin this source of food for good. As they get closer to where they believe the goats should be, the huntresses abruptly change the marching order, making them sleep in the day and march at night. This is not a welcome change for their apprentices, but even the most boastful amongst them know better than to backtalk a huge hyena warrior in the middle of the wilderness.

When they reach the field where the herd is sleeping, bathed in the moonlight, the cunning of the huntresses becomes apparent. Most of the herd is fast asleep: only some of the rams, posted at the edge of the sleeping mass of caprine bodies, are half awake, ready to bleat awake their companions should predators draw near. Waking them at the wrong moment could cause the lot of them to run away and leave them with nothing but dust to eat. Quickly, the expedition splits into two groups: one with a couple of huntresses and the bulk of the apprentices and another one composed of the rest of the huntresses and one incredibly nervous tengu. This second group makes its way around the herd, careful to keep enough distance as to not alert them. Once they are in position, on the opposite side from the first group, the tengu is sent to warn them, accompanied by an huntress just in case. When the message is received, the hutresses in the first group lead the charge, followed closely by the youngsters, shaking their spears and laughing terribly into the night. The herd, awakened by the cries of the sentinels and faced with these immense predators, panics and runs in the opposite direction.

Between the darkness and the panic, the second group of gnolls isn't noticed until it is too late. Each huntress grabs at least one little goat, and some of the bulkier ones manage to get two each.

The next day, the lead huntress takes stock of what they have to show for their efforts. It is not as much as she expected: each pigmy goat has a limited amount of meat on its bones, and while they will be a welcome addition to their diet, she is convinced ,. So she looks southward, towards the forest: it seems much closer now, she's sure they could get there, explore a little, maybe find something interesting, and go back to Tengri-La with a little more for the village and a little more prestige for her. Of course, that would mean consuming some of these goats, since they didn't bring enough supplies for such a prolonged expedition, or finding food in there... and she doesn't know what dangers may lurk in there. What if some predator is attracted by the smell of their goats? She's confident in her own and her hunting sisters' skills, but between the apprentices and the goats there are a lot of targets to protect.

1: Should the lead huntress convince her expedition to continue into the forest? If she does, you will get to pick how much they explore and what resources the prioritize. They will still be back before autumn starts.
A) Yes
B) No

Back in Tengri-La, stone picks chip away at the rock walls of the mine wtihout pause. Trogs tire themselves out and ruin many of these low-quality utensils, to the point that some of them prefer to just use their claws. It takes weeks of labor (during which the miners' normal jobs in the fields are taken care of by tengus, less suited for this kind of work) but in the end, a huge boulder is extracted from the walls, and rolled into the space appointed for the ritual: visible from the bottom of the mine, so that the Prince of Destruction can witness the ritual, and with enough space that at least a good chunk of the village can participate; the others will have to look from the upper level.

Sculptors both avian and reptile proceed to mold the boulder into a form resembling a mountain; it is later decorated with lichens to simulate the bountiful forests that used to grow on Grandfather Mountain, and a trog takes his place behind it, with a large jar to make his voice sound deeper and more thundering. When everything else is ready, the tengu taking on the role of the Prince of Destruction makes his appearance.

It has to be a tengu: the Prince is associated with winds and erosion, and the flying tengus are most appropriate for this role. A chorus of singers and drummers opens the ritual, keeping a sharp tempo to communicate the tension from the imminent coup. "Grandfather Mountain" and the "Prince of Destruction" chant a line each, enumerating their ventures and accomplishments and explaining why they should be ruler of this kami court. Their script is long and comlex, and it takes a whole day, during which neither of them can stop to eat or rest, to make it to the end. But at last, the "Prince" draws his sword (made of bamboo, in this case) and sings-shouts "I have slain mighty Father Mountain!" and strikes at the boulder.

The boulder explodes in a shower of pebbles, as the trog hidden behind it scampers away, singing one last note of mourning. The Prince has accepted the sacrifice. They are safe.

Tengu mood improves.

Logging heavy buckets full of water is a tiring chore, but how else are we supposed to get the water needed to tend our crops? A trog with a knack for engineering has an idea. He enlists some friends to dig a short canal to bring water from the north well to the village. It is too small to be a big help, but it gets the village excited over the idea, and everyone is more than heppy to contribute to digging when they can spare the time. Soon there are many canals bringing water right to your doorstep, close enough that water is only a short walk away but not so close that it might collapse a tunner or spill into the mine.

This makes the other project in the works much easier to accomplish. Grass seeds are harvested from the grassland in the south and planted around the canals, and it's growing wonderfully. Everyone is already imagining pudgy, delicious little goats gamboling away in the grass. Things are looking rosy.

Workforce increases, since now it takes less time to work the fields. Gnoll mood improves.

Events
You are expecting a drought. You have rationed rice and water, so that it may last you throughout the season. The elders are sure that they are ready for what is about to come.

They are mistaken.

Propelled by the merciless winds of the Sea of Sands, a dust storm hits your village. It engulfes everything, whipping villagers and plants alike; your bamboo homes offer little protection from its fury. The howling wind actually tear some of them apart, revealing families huddled together and children crying in fear. There is panic and shouting before the elders can manage to rally to population into a semblance of order. Thankfully there is no rice in the fields, since rice doesn't grow in summer, but the elders can't help but think about the bamboo forest and what this storm is going to do to it.

An idea hits them: the caves. All the elders and children that can fit into the developping mushroom farm are let in there, shuffling to avoid stepping on bolenus and shitakes. The adults are willing to endure the storm if it means protecting those that can't, but not all of the vulnerable folk can fit in there.

There is, of course, another possible way to protect them, another cave that could offer shelter. But what would the Deep Powers react to their sanctuary being turned into a refugee shelter?
2: Do you allow elders and children to seek refuge in the shrine of the Deep Powers?
A)Yes
B)No

In any case, mood is severely damaged all across the board, your bamboo forest is not in a good place and some of your homes are destroyed.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 10, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Status update with information on your food situation come autumn will wait until the return of the expedition.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What if they went to the temple and performed acts of penance and appeasement to the dark powers?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

What if they went to the temple and performed acts of penance and appeasement to the dark powers?

That would probably be better than just camping it out, but only the trogs know the proper rites. They can guide everyone else through it, but it's still something of a crapshoot.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

That would probably be better than just camping it out, but only the trogs know the proper rites. They can guide everyone else through it, but it's still something of a crapshoot.

That's good enough for me!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Huntress no, let's stay focused at the task at hand.

I'm all for pissing off elder powers again right after appeasing them. Let's try to say sorry about hiding out in their temple, though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm all for pissing off elder powers again right after appeasing them.

To clarify, the kami courts and the Deep Powers are two separate supernatural entities, and being in favor with one has no bearing on the other's opinion of you.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
How do the trogs feel about us using it as a refugee shelter on a scale of "No problem fam" to "Oh hell no."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Apocron posted:

How do the trogs feel about us using it as a refugee shelter on a scale of "No problem fam" to "Oh hell no."

There is too much panic and confusion for their experts to discuss the ramifications of certain actions this action, but broadly speaking: only trogs usually enter the shrine, and then only for the prupose of praying. There isn't an hard and fast commandment against it, but it's something that was never done before, and doing things that were never done before with their patron deity ("It is not a deity! It is a primal force reverberating through all that lives underground!") makes them a bit nervous.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

huntress: savage everything at the edge and go home. Plant, flower, tree, rip them, chop them. Grab and go

Deep one cave: those elderly and children are not seeking shelter! They are going in there and pray to the deep one! They are taking turn worshipping him non-stop! Totally Not 'sheltering'!
:airquote:

Edit : it is a good time for the elder to teach the kid how to worship

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
How would having just the Trogs (ie. believers) enter the shrine alleviate the crowdedness in the cave?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

1. No: Stick to the plan or risk screwing up our ability to grow a proper trip of goats.
2. No: Don't trample the trog's place of worship.

Relocate older children and healthier elders to the lower levels of the pit, where they'll be sheltered from the worst of the winds.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Tran posted:

1. No: Stick to the plan or risk screwing up our ability to grow a proper trip of goats.

This.

Also, make a point to invest in a bunker.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1B2A

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sormus posted:

How would having just the Trogs (ie. believers) enter the shrine alleviate the crowdedness in the cave?

That would mean that only trogs elders and children are safe, and everyone else is out eating dust storm. Plenty of space, but what are the tengus and gnolls going to think?

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

1) No. Stick to the Plan, get goats, go home.
2) Yes. However, don't lie to the Deep Powers. Teach the elders and children the proper rites of respect, and let the Deep Powers take the ones they want. Hopefully fewer will perish in the shrine than in the storm. And at least these deaths will serve a purpose.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Agreed with Barbed Tongues.
1: No
2: Yes
, but no atheists allowed in these foxholes.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Tran posted:

Relocate older children and healthier elders to the lower levels of the pit, where they'll be sheltered from the worst of the winds.

This plus sacrifice the Trogs (or everyone, if that jives with the groups beliefs) who die from this to the Deep Ones

I'm sure an offering of those who have suffered and died iot keep the temples sanctity is one that would find favour

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
No, those goats sound delicious and we don't want to risk them.

No, weather the storm. It builds character.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Is the sand storm happening while the hunt is? Because I probably suggest the hunters take shelter in the forest instead of running back to the village to further increase our population problems.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sormus posted:

Is the sand storm happening while the hunt is? Because I probably suggest the hunters take shelter in the forest instead of running back to the village to further increase our population problems.

Nope! Those are two separate events, happening at different times.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So it's not an immediate concern, but we should dig some underground shelters after this storm passes. Not only would they be good for times like now, but they'd also allow us to keep the weak safe if we ever get attacked (Kami forbid).

As far as now, 1) Stick to the plan and 2) Don't mess with the Deep Shrine, move the weak to a lower level and do what we can to shelter them from the worst of the storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Plan Tran gets my vote

• Locked thread