Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tran posted:

1. No: Stick to the plan or risk screwing up our ability to grow a proper trip of goats.
2. No: Don't trample the trog's place of worship.

Relocate older children and healthier elders to the lower levels of the pit, where they'll be sheltered from the worst of the winds.

Seconding This Plan.

E: with the following addendum. The sickliest of elders, save for those that have unique skills or knowledge, should be moved to the lip of the pit, offered up as sacrifices to the dust storm that the spirits who have sent it may be mollified by our sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Tran posted:

1. No: Stick to the plan or risk screwing up our ability to grow a proper trip of goats.
2. No: Don't trample the trog's place of worship.

Relocate older children and healthier elders to the lower levels of the pit, where they'll be sheltered from the worst of the winds.

I'll back this.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
1:B
2:B

Also liking Tran's plan to relocate children and healthy elders to the lower pit levels.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Prudence wins the day: the goats are taken back immediately and the weak are brought to the bottom of the pit, away from the howling winds.

Year 1, autumn.

Your food reserves are more than adequate: the storm has delayed your second rice harvest, but the food you stockpiled earlier tides you over, especially couple with the mushroom farm and the goats, the oldest of which are butchered by the gnolls to celebrate the new herd.

Said new herd is kept fed with the grass that grows with minimal tending next to the canals you dug. You used the last available bamboo that survived the storm to build the fence, and it's going to take a while before it grows back.

The new sources of food, by the way, improbe mood all around by 1. Tengus are particularly fond of mushrooms when they are grilled over an heated rock, as opposed to the more traditioanl troggish broth, and a particularly excitable elder jumps on the table and composes on the spot a poem praising the hard work and generosity of the trog farmer. Trogs are slightly confused but appreciate the gesture.

It also turns out that everyone, including gnolls, can consume and appreciates goat milk. Gnolls, being mammals, explain that milk is particularly good for children and give it to them first. With everyone wanting some, though, there really isn't enough for everyone to go around, so it remains a luxury.

Mood:
Tengu: Contended
Trog: Optimistic
Gnolls: Optimistic

Events:
-The komodo drakes seem sluggish and unresponsive lately. The opinion of gnoll herders is divided on wheter this is a cause for concern: come claim they are just becoming lethargic during the cold season, other worry that this might be a sickness of some kind. 1- What do you do about the drakes?
a) Leave them alone. They are just going into ibernation.
b) Give them more food. If they are going into ibernation, they'll need it; if they are sick, they'll still need it to fight off the sickness.
c) Ask the kami court what is their problem, and broker for their healing. If you vote for this, remember to also vote for visiting the kami court, and possibly for a backup vote if the that doesn't make the workforce vote.

-Little mounds of upturned earth, like the ones made by moles but about cat-sized, are appearing around the mine. Trogs are curious about what those may be.

-New recipes! The most abundant varieties of mushrooms are as plentiful as rice (a little more now, because of the late harvest) so the everyday meal stops being "a bowl of rice" and becomes "a slightly larger bowl of mushroom soup with rice in it". Progress!

You have 2 Workforce points to allocate: autumn is the season in which you normally plant at the beginning of the season and harvest at the end, and even with the new irrigation system, if you want to catch up after the storm slowed you down you need to work at it seriously. [b ]2- But how will you allocate them?[/b]

a) Expand the rice fields. This means reducing your Workforce in the future, but you will get more food.
b) Make more mushroom farms. Another one won't reduce your Workforce noticeably.
c) Investigate those mysterious mounds.
d)Explore! If this wins, we'll have another vote about the direction in which to explore. You can, if you want to, assign 2 Workforce to this to make a bigger, safer expedition or two in two different directions.
e)Pray to the Deep Powers.
f)Visit the Kami court. This will also trigger a different vote about the deals offered by the local kamis and which, if any, you want to take.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
1. B
2. B, C

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

1. B - Give the drakes more food. If we care for them, they'll care for us.
2. B, F. Another mushroom farm will be good for all of us, and a visit to the Kami Court could present some very useful future opportunities.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1) B
2) CE

Food situation is pretty good for now, and we haven't offered anything to the Deep Powers yet. We don't need anything from them right now but it'll be good to curry some favor with them, just in case.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Search for powerups

1.C
2.EF

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C and CF

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
B
BF

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

2. B, F. Another mushroom farm will be good for all of us, and a visit to the Kami Court could present some very useful future opportunities.

Yep. Larger feed allotment for the drakes means fatter animals for slaughter anyway.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
A point about lizard hibernation: When preparing for brumination they may stop eating. If they aren't fat enough already we have effectively already lost them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If that's brought over for fantasy lizards. I'm assuming the settlers are smart enough to realize if the drakes have lost interest in food.

##vote
1 B; C; A
2 C; F; E; B; A

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Sormus posted:

A point about lizard hibernation: When preparing for brumination they may stop eating. If they aren't fat enough already we have effectively already lost them.
That's a good point. We must do what we can to make them fat.

:burger:

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Abyssal Squid posted:

1) B
2) CE

Food situation is pretty good for now, and we haven't offered anything to the Deep Powers yet. We don't need anything from them right now but it'll be good to curry some favor with them, just in case.

Yep. The Deep Powers aren't transactional it seems. It's not one miracle for x prayers. One must be faithful to them long term.

1. B
2. CE

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
B.
DD:
Explore, Expand. We can exploit and exterminate after that.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
  1. B
  2. A F

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1. B
2. B, C

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

1 B
2 B C

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

can we build storm shelters closer to the top ring?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We consult the Kami for help with the drakes. Prepare the rituals and ready the priests!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
We should keep an eye out for next time we get to discover anything. Hoping we can use our endless supply of gravel and sands to discover concrete so we can build non-hobo houses.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B
BC

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

F certainly won, but we need a tiebreaker between B and C. In the meantime have the Kami Court and a couple more events. The very next vote gets to break the tie!
Housing
The incoming winter cold is a cause of concern for some those who lost their houses in the dust storm. Sleeping under the stars is one thing, but will not be a practical solution for long, and the bamboo hasn't regrown yet.
1- What do you do about the housing problem?
a)Just tough it out for now. This may cause sickness and even death if people of weak constitution are exposed to the cold.
b)Everyone with any space at all available, offer refuge to someone in your home. This will damage Mood and may cause some disease.
c)Dig out some caves for people to sleep in. This will cost 2 out of 5 Workforce points from the winter's reserve and may damage mood for everyone except trogs, who like sleeping in caves anyway.
d)Don't worry about it, the delegation to the kami court will handle it! (see the kami court vote. Vote for this if you want to go with the second one of Prince's offers.)
e)An enterprising young trog has a crazy idea: houses made of rock, dug out from the second level's rocky floor and hollowed out. This will cost 4 out of 5 winter Workforce points, and only he is completely sure that this will work, but it will solve the housing problem permanently if it does, and those houses are not going to collapse from a dust storm.

The Kami Court
A delegation of tengu lorekeepers hops from one level of the mine to the next, headed towards the center of the lowest level of the mine, where the local kamis convene. They are followed by some trogs and gnolls who are curious about just how the tengus can contact this hidden spirit world they talk about, and what does it look like. They will be disappointed: once they reach their destination, the tengus' eyes simply roll to the inside of their heads and they just stand there, locked in a trance.

-Choirs of Court

quote:

This story is told to every apprentice lorekeeper to help them learn the ways of the kami.

There once was a kami called Long Ears, Quick Feet, who was the patron of a bunny herd on the Glittergrin Plains. He blessed his herd sporadically but to great effect: the strong, agile bunnies he gifted with cleverness and perception, and the clever, attentive bunnies he gifted with strenght and agility. That way they would survive, and reproduce, and pass on their strenght and agility and cleverness and attentiveness to their descendant. That way his herd prospered and expanded, and he grew mighty with them.

So mighty, in fact that the local Choir of the Underbrush was at a loss at what to do. Their powers slipped away from them as the bunny herd grew and grew and consumed ever more of their protected fields and lawns.
"This cannot continue" said one day Reaches for the Sun, tallest of the grass kamis "soon, we will disappear completely as the bunnies devour us. There is only way that may save us: if you give me some of your essence, I shall develop a powerful poison to strike the rabbit dead."

"That is not a good deal" answered Thrice-Split Root "for Long Ears will quickly recognize that only you are poisonous to his rabbits, and he will guide them to avoid you."
"All of our essence pooled together would not be enough to make everyone poisonous" said Reaches for the Sun."What else would you have us do?"
"I have a plan" said Thrice-Split Root. "Worry not and leave this problem to me."

As the next day dawned, the rabbits hopped towards the underbrush to have their morning meal. The grass kamis looked at Thrice-Split Root with worry in their hearts, but all she did was shaking the grass she had control over when the rabbits approached. "She has lost her mind!" they cried. But suddenly, a spear flew through the air and impaled the rabbits closer to her. All through the fields, more and more goblins armed with spear jumped out, hunting the rabbits and dispersing them, singing the praise of Thrice-Split Root.

"I have agreed with them" said the kami, that already looked bigger as she fed on the goblin's praise "to show them where the bunnies are hidden in exchange for a song every morning".

The other kamis praised Thrice-Split Root for her cunning, and hurriedly made similar deals with the goblin tribe. Soon there was friendship between the Choir of the Underbrush and the Uzba-kara tribe, and both prospered.

The Kingsmen
Why does this choir call itself the Kingsmen, when they are led by the Prince of Destruction and have ties with the wind, erosion and entropy in general is the sort of question that any lorekeeper worth their salt knows not to ask. They have taken the appearance of pale-skinned humanoids, with the Prince sitting on a throne of gravel, much taller than everyone else, with medals made of jagged metal on his chest and a wicked pickaxe resting on his lap. He is surrounded by small, impish kamis with sharp metal teeth and behind him stands a wrinkled man, known simply as the Whirlwind, whose hair and mustache swirls costantly.

The Prince is delighted to see you and immediately offers to expand on your previous deal: "You have my gift, now it is time for you to use it; I shall reveal to you a goblin village, not far from here: raid them, cause as much havoc and destruction as possible, and I shall expand this whole mine for you, to give you more room to live in; or if you'd prefer, I shall dig you many caves for you and yours to live in, or grow mushrooms or whatever other silly thing you like to do."

At the mention of maybe limiting his gift of destruction to their eventual enemies as opposed to everyone on the battlefield, the Prince makes a face. "Urgh. Well, if you want me to limit my destruction, you shall have to offer some more of it to balance it out. Give me two sacrifices of Grandfather Mountain per year, as opposed to one, and I shall agree with this."

The tengus' spirits thank him for the generous offer, and look expectanty at Whirlwind. He shakes his head, and they nod respectfully.

The impish kamis, that the Prince early called Earthbiters, pull at the tengus' ethereal robes. "Let us inhabit your tools!" they cry. "Your picks, your hoes, your weapons! Use us to destroy and to tear apart, and sing us a lullaby every night, and we will break rocks and earth and bones for you!"

The Orphans
When Grandfather Mountain still ruled the court, he was followed by many earth and rock kamis. A lot of them perished with him, but some still survive today. Most of them, however, won't even speak to you, stubbornly staying in their boulder forms and refusing to reveal their names, because of your collaboration with the Prince of Destruction. Some of the lesser ones, especially those representing the caring and nurturing nature of the earth appreciate you bringing new life to this deserted place, even the odd, fungine one, and are willing to trade. "Not strong enough to give you a singular blessing" says their spokespirit, a funny-looking creature that borrowed the komodo drakes' appearance "but introduce one more species of life to the mine, and we shall bless your fields and herds with fertility."

Miscellaneous
-A kami taking the the form of a beatiful, shining bird of prey and calling himself the Sun Falcon, flies over you and commands you to not take any other deal, and to unite your village in praise of his name. They promise you "wealth beyond measure, ever-blossoming fields and to never feel cold again", which seems like too generous a gift from a courtless kami to just hand out, even in exchange for the worship of an entire village.
-You hear vague whisperings from beyond the mine that remind you of the howling of a storm. Probably some other kami court you are unfamiliar with. If you explore some you might manage to get in contact with them.
-A whispering creeps from the walls of the lowest level of the mine. On some instinctual level, the tengus know that its name is the Pallor. It speaks like the chittering of countless insect legs, and it sends chills down their spine. "A child will be born bearing my mark. Bury them, give them to me, or I will come and take them myself, and sevenfold more children as payment for your insolence." It does not answer any attempt at further communication.

Altogether, you need to vote for:
1-Tiebreaker between B and C, if you are the first.
2-What to do about the housing problem.
The following votes are simply yes/no questions.
3-Wheter you accept the Prince's offer for a bigger mine in exchange for a punitive raid.
4-Wheter you accept the Prince's offer for more caves in exchange for a punitive raid.
The Prince will only perform one service in exchange for the raid.
5-Wheter you accept the Prince's offer of more focused destruction in exchange for a double yearly sacrifice.
6-Wheter you accept the Earthbiters' offer.
7-Wheter you accept the Orphans' offer.
8-Wheter you accept the Sun Falcon's offer.

Plus, if you have any other questions or propositions for the kami court, this is the time to ask.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 14, 2016

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
1. B
2. E

3. Expand Mine: YES
4. Larger Caves: NO Mutual Exclusivity with 3
5. Focused damage: NO We can discuss this later when we aren't so tiny of a village.
6. Earthbiters: YES I can't see a downside to this other than possibly possessed tools & weapons.
7. Orphans: YES Thats more or less what we are doing anyway.
8. Praise The Sun: NO I mean, some Tengu might want to worship him anyway and we can kinda let them, since I'm big on religious freedoms.

Question to Prince If we raid them, does he want us to only kill them all or will just destroying their village and enslaving them be feasible too? (iirc, Gnolls would probably like eating them anyway) subjugating them be enough?

Sormus fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 14, 2016

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
1. E: Let's build Petra.

Don't Raid the Goblins: Until they prove hostile, we should consider them potential trade partners and allies against the so-called civilized races.

Accept the Earthbiter's Offer: Superior tools and an incentive for tool maintenance in exchange for a short musical prayer each evening. A good deal.

Accept the Orphan's offer: We have every intention of diversifying our food sources as opportunities present themselves anyway, it's basically a free blessing. If nothing else, we can find snakes or scorpions in the desert to raise. Either would serve as decent livestock.

Tran fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 14, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

2. E Let's get a long term solution, and show some acceptance of bold new ideas.
3. Expand Mine: YES
4. Larger Caves: NO Mutual Exclusivity with 3

Look, some raidiing is expected. Doesn't mean we're eternal enemies or something. Channel your best King of DragonPass attitude. We can send a trade convoy later. Or maybe we'll prove our strength and they'll join us because of that. Besides, if we want to retain the favor of the Prince of Destruction, we can't be too soft.

5. Focused damage: NO Let that be part of the price.

6. Earthbiters: YES: Spirituality is one of our strenghts, we should play to it.
7. Orphans: YES Sounds good, sounds good.
8. Praise The Sun: NO Sounds too good to be true. Probably is. Might even be a test from the old Prince.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
There was some discussion on IRC about how to deal with Goblins:
We should probably send an emissary to them first to give them a chance of a peaceful cooperation with our town before attacking them.
I have been told that Goblins are people too and not just savage barely-sentient forest backstabbers that need to be put down or put in good use.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sormus posted:

Question to Prince If we raid them, does he want us to only kill them all or will just destroying their village and enslaving them be feasible too? (iirc, Gnolls would probably like eating them anyway) subjugating them be enough?

"You need not take every single life in the village, nor destroy every valuable. I know you creatures of flesh have some interest in those. But do try and cause enough destruction to sate my appetite."

Sormus posted:

We should probably send an emissary to them first to give them a chance of a peaceful cooperation with our town before attacking them.
I have been told that Goblins are people too and not just savage barely-sentient forest backstabbers that need to be put down or put in good use.

They were one of the selectable races, remember.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Sormus posted:

Also we really oughta' ask the prince How does he intend to expand the mine? If we don't, I half expect a significant portion of our farmland and village to just collapse into the pit during our gift earthquake.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

2. E
3. No. No raid
4. No. No raid
5. No. No raid
6. Yes. But only weapons. Spirits of destruction aren't the best for building homes.
7. Yes.
8. Nope.

Anyone else see future issues with having the Prince of destruction as the patron of this place? Yes we can appease him with destructive behavior but his power is tied to the aspect of this place and as we prosper and nourish his power will wane.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Tran posted:

How does he intend to expand the mine?

His eyes light up with excitement. "I shall break the earth, destroy it! The first ring, it shall expand and grow, like a puddle during the rain!"

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

paradoxGentleman posted:

"You need not take every single life in the village, nor destroy every valuable. I know you creatures of flesh have some interest in those. But do try and cause enough destruction to sate my appetite."

So not-khorne does not care from where the blood flows, only that it does.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Not Alex posted:

Anyone else see future issues with having the Prince of destruction as the patron of this place? Yes we can appease him with destructive behavior but his power is tied to the aspect of this place and as we prosper and nourish his power will wane.

Hopefully as we flood the place with life the earth spirits we're currently cutting a deal with will gain power. They can then reclaim throne, though we'll likely continue to deal with the prince to some extent.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Tran posted:

Hopefully as we flood the place with life the earth spirits we're currently cutting a deal with will gain power. They can then reclaim throne, though we'll likely continue to deal with the prince to some extent.

My thoughts as well, but the issue comes if the prince realizes this before he's too weak to casually toss around earthquakes.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
2. E
3. No. No raid
4. No. No raid
5. No. No raid
6. Yes.
7. Yes.
8. No.

I'd rather we stay a bit more conservative for now, and NOT start a raiding war when we are still a fledgling young tribe that can barely feed and house itself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

2-What to do about the housing problem.
E
The following votes are simply yes/no questions.
3-Wheter you accept the Prince's offer for a bigger mine in exchange for a punitive raid.
NO
4-Wheter you accept the Prince's offer for more caves in exchange for a punitive raid.
NO
The Prince will only perform one service in exchange for the raid.
5-Wheter you accept the Prince's offer of more focused destruction in exchange for a double yearly sacrifice.
NO
6-Wheter you accept the Earthbiters' offer.
YES
7-Wheter you accept the Orphans' offer.
YES
8-Wheter you accept the Sun Falcon's offer.
NO

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1) Switching from C to B
2) C
, I'm gonna be conservative and preserve some workforce points so we have some free for something interesting and also for prayers to the Deep Powers.

3) Yes, raid those goblins all Dragon Pass style.
4, 5) Nope
6, 7) Yeah yeah, sure sure
8) Hahahaha nooooope

Other question: Yo why are the komodos acting weird are they sick or what? We're already visiting the Kami Court, no reason not to ask them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

2.E
3. Yes
4. No
5. No
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. No

Make declaration for the goblin to join us on the mountain with offering of letting us destroy their village in the name of the Kami of Destruction. If they refuse, we shall raid them with the might of the god who destroys mountain!

• Locked thread