Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Erik Larsen is a bestselling author of non-fiction books about people who used to be alive but are not anymore. His most well known book is Devil in the White City, in large part because of being on many high school curricula.

The Books

The most recent, this one is about the sinking of the Lusitania.

An American diplomat in Nazi Germany

Invention of the radio plus a serial killer

The Chicago World's Fair plus a serial killer.

I like his work and the guy is really funny in person. Any other fans? How did you feel about the newest book? I have it but haven't started reading it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

blue squares posted:

Erik Larsen is a bestselling author of non-fiction books about people who used to be alive but are not anymore. His most well known book is Devil in the White City, in large part because of being on many high school curricula.

The Books

The most recent, this one is about the sinking of the Lusitania.

An American diplomat in Nazi Germany

Invention of the radio plus a serial killer

The Chicago World's Fair plus a serial killer.

I like his work and the guy is really funny in person. Any other fans? How did you feel about the newest book? I have it but haven't started reading it yet.

You forgot one of his best, Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Dead Wake is really great except for the parts about Woodrow Wilson's love life. Everything else, especially the day-to-day routines of the U-Boats and the narrative of the sinking itself, was up there with his best work.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

When I saw Larsen speak, he talked about the Woodrow Wilson stuff and said he knew it didn't really fit, but when he came across it in his research, he just couldn't help himself and had to put it in.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I went to a talk he had at a local university with my mom. He signed a book for me, Dead Wake. I've never read any of his books, but my mom has and now I have one of my own, so I might as well. I asked him a question during the Q&A (something about the American public's reaction to the event and how it changed their opinion on going to war, I actually can't remember exactly.)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I read Devil in the White City just before I went to college a while ago. I'm an architecture nerd, so I actually found all the bits about building the World's Fair way more interesting than the serial killer stuff, but he tells really gripping stories from history.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Bam, didn't know about the new one, thanks.

Isaac's Storm is awesome though, probably my second favorite after Devil in the White City, which is about my former neighborhood. Leopold and Loeb were also from the same place.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
How's In the Garden of Beasts? I loved Devil in the White City (please give me that Leo movie adaptation already), but it's the only Larson I've read.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I've been following Erik Larsen's career ever since he picked up art chores on Amazing Spider-Man after Todd McFarlane left. I became a huge fan of his work, collecting his books through his Spider-Man run, all the way up to current day with his creator-owned series, Savage Dragon. It's funny hearing him go on huge long rants about people misspelling his name, I've actually gotten him to autograph a couple of old vhs tapes starring an actor named Eric Larsen, which he thought was funny but weird. Sorry for the huge digression, I just thought it was hilarious that Erik Larson shares the same pain despite plastering his name all over his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

How's In the Garden of Beasts? I loved Devil in the White City (please give me that Leo movie adaptation already), but it's the only Larson I've read.

It's good but not as gripping as some of his other ones.

• Locked thread