Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm gonna wait on picking this up until I have a little more in the bank account, but I definitely want the soundtrack and audiobook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthony patch posted:

We find that for people unfamiliar with tank controls, it takes a good hour or so to start to get comfortable. If you give it time, it should become second nature. Also take a look at mechs vs tanks vs agravs-- we've almost always found that people will find one significantly easier to adapt to than the others, which should ease your learning curve. I'll make you a deal though. If you put 2 hours into Brigador and it's still not gelling / you don't want to play anymore, I'll either refund it or buy you something of equivalent value on steam. I appreciate the candor, as well as your willingness to eat the cost, but you shouldn't be stuck with a game you don't actually intend to play.

You're the chillest indie dev.

I have to say that if this game were released, say, 20 years ago, the tank control issue probably wouldn't even be an issue. Part of the gaming zeitgeist right now is the Twin Stick Shooter, where one controller stick manages movement while the other manages aiming. Imagine if a twin stick shooter game got released 20 years ago, people would hate it!

I still need to pick up the game but I'm waiting on the summer sale to do some big Steam shopping. It's definitely on my list regardless of discount however, and I intend on grabbing that soundtrack and audiobook.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This game Brigadowns. Metal Health trip report:

0:00 Well, brought Treehouse to this because it has a good max health and max shield...
0:30 Just blew up one of the objectives, really don't get what the fuss was about
0:31 oh holy poo poo
0:32 :catdrugs:

Still beat it first try, but it taught me the importance of engaging at long range and scouting a lot better than the tutorials did.

e: I can't help but feel reminded of AMOK for PC and Sega Saturn when playing this game. Was that an inspiration?

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 29, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Whenever I play this game I feel like I'm playing a source port of an old 90s video game. I absolutely love that.

I've been spending my money on lore and honestly I'm loving it. Getting real Tyrian vibes from the humor.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I Greyhound posted:

Rock over London, rock over Solo Nobre. Ploughman, for all your vermin extermination needs.

Great Leader Kicked My rear end
Rock and Roll Texas 7
Suck A Corvid's Dick

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Been reading the Brigador book. It's great! I wish we got Hugh Armbruster as a mercenary in the game because I want to play with a Buckmaster equipped with a Zeus, Bonesaw, and Active Camo for the ultimate cross-media experience.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Finished the Brigador novel. Some great work, Buckmaster and you all did some great world building. There's so much kore I want to learn about.

This game and the lore (particularly the freelance, build-your-own-mech part, along with the documents you can unlock at your own pace) really reminds me of Tyrian more than anything else. There's a serious tone to it all, with a winding plot and story full of backstabbing and sorrow and pain, but with a dark humor that feels like Robocop. The book would make a great Paul Verhoeven movie actually.

The fact that sections two through four of the contract that you sign are hidden behind a pay wall is all at once utterly hilarious and a wonderful example of the kind of bedfellow the SNC is. Brigador does video game storytelling in the best way: make the player look through it, piece it all together. Don't sit them down in front of an infodump cutscene and insult their intelligence. Doom 2016 does this too and I'm hoping we see a surge in this kind of storytelling.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Kotaku doesn't have a lot of things. Including a future. :haw:

Anyway I figured out what the theme reminded me of. Just compare these two:

https://soundcloud.com/makeupandvanityset/solo-nobre-must-fall-theme-from-brigador https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt8q3uF66Js

This game has more than a little Tyrian DNA in it, and I love it for that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I don't mind the tank controls on the mechs and tanks, but on the anti-gravs it's really disorienting.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
my favorite Corvid vehicle is the tuk-tuk with a chair on top of a 20 foot pole with some guy carrying binoculars

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthony patch posted:

Around that time Central also discovered the Temblor does the same thing to bones and teeth as it does to concrete. Officially they don’t do that anymore, though I’ve seen enough people with the hallmark disfigurements that I’m guessing it can’t all be blamed the Nobrean mafia.

:stonk:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthony patch posted:

Filed, thanks for the heads up.

you should look into how they did it to see if you can't plug that hole.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthony patch posted:

I'll take it: http://www.onlysp.com/brigador-review-a-retro-classic-from-2016/

I will say, I think it's the first time I've heard Brigador described as "a triumph". I enjoyed that part.

The only thing I disagree with in that review is that it says the story is disappointing to those looking for something deep. I feel like Brigador's writing and story is great, and excellently done for a game of its genre.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Push out the news about the Brigador sale! At less than :10bux: for the game its an awesome price point for people on the fence about a game that, I swear to God, feels straight out of 1999.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthony patch posted:

MAKE THEM WANT IT :commissar:

I basically did this with my girlfriend, I'm gonna goad her into actually playing it

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthony patch posted:

Just have her listen to the audiobook with a strong female lead who stomps the poo poo out of a bunch of people.

I have the novel on my Kindle, but she already likes the game and loves the music and she'll probably listen to the audiobook while working anyway

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This game is so good

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthony patch posted:

Awesome man, glad you're enjoying it.

The plan is to separate missions out into distinct campaign, but since we don't have that functionality in yet the Halloween maps just got tacked on to the end. It's part of a larger revamp of the game that'll be going down over the course of next year.

Absolutely loving the post-release support you guys are giving this! You guys are great developers in every sense of the word.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I would totally love a Christmas-based Novo Solo tradition about a kind settler who hand-crafts toys for all the kids every year

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

Difference in playstyle really. The AI in Brigador is detailed enough that outwitting and outstealthing them is actually an option and some of the most effective players do that.

Active camo is great for doing the bait-and-switch. Draw aggro, swing behind cover, cloak and slide behind them, unload.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Oh god Katar Jousten's bio :stonk:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthony patch posted:

Yeah we snuck some heavy stuff in there if you know where to look

The writing is incredible and half the reason I requisition poo poo is to read whatever Marvin Beck or m.p.C.C. has to say about a particular person or piece of equipment.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

:same:

Any lore entries you like in particular? I'm trying to just pick out a couple favorites,and it's tricky. One of my favorites is the one that implies that Rook pilots all go out and basically play bumper-cars with the things, because they're not useful for much else.

Texas 7, the Killdozer entry, hell any time Marvin Beck goes on a rant about the Corvids, the Cult of the Founder is great too.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thefluffy posted:

it's even better when you get $100 per square of TALL GRASS you ruin. :v:

Listen, the Nobrean Beautification Board gets loving pissed when people trample the grass

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

amitlu posted:

Is the perpendicular one still how the game works? I don't feel like shots do that for me but maybe I'm just missing it

Projectiles inherit velocity. Try it with mortars.

AFAIK lasers don't.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i've recently discovered shotguns after neglecting them the whole time this game's been out. There's not a lot more satisfying than zooming around in the Propter with Stutter and a Parliament, with an AK pulse for the hell of it.

Try the Donkey. It's the sawed-off shotgun of Brigador. The best part is that you can kill enemies through walls with it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Not going to lie, I have a real soft spot for powersuits. I hope at some point we can get the one from the book as well.

That's the Mongoose.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Bought a copy for myself and two gifts, left a review back on June 29th. Game owns and I can't wait for the Christmas Eve update :tipshat:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

you know you've made it when some twitter dipshit has a hot take about your game

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've been sending out Brigador gifts with Brigador-themed gift tags.

code:
Welcome Brigador,

Great Leader is dead.

Solo Nobre must fall.

Here is your contract.

Do you accept?

Best Wishes,
The Solo Nobre Concern

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

gauss posted:

lol that's cool man, hope they like the game

Bought it for three people so far. Two of them absolutely love it (one PMed me on steam just to say "this game kicks rear end" after playing it for a half hour), one hasn't gotten the gift yet but in certain he'll like it too. I plan to buy it for at least two more people. Honestly Brigador is right up there with Doom 2016 and Battlefield 1 for Game of the Year, which is a huge accolade no matter whether you're a AAA game or an indie title by two guys. This game loving owns and its a crime that it doesn't have a tenth of the popularity it should.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

gauss posted:

It was pretty continual for several years, I mean including the pre-Brigador game it's been a more or less continuous effort for six years. I don't really remember particular iterations, though there were, obviously. Brigador, then Matador, was originally conceived of as a vaguely Homeworld-like topdown strategy game where you commanded giant mobile oil refinery-like platforms on treads, I think Anthony Patch has posted a few images from that era.

Then before the core loop had really solidified, there was a version where you had friendly squadmates you could command. Didn't work--as most players will tell you, managing your own affairs is complicated enough, putting the squadmates in meant that you either let your own unit suffer or you let them suffer, because it was really hard to keep track of all of them.

Then there was the version of the game for a month or two that was sort of about interplanetary heists? That's an odd one.

But yeah it took a long time, mostly because it was important not only just that we thought it was a cool setting and we wanted to explore it, but that it had to match up to the gameplay 100%. So that was the big thing. As our understanding of what we wanted the gameplay to be about, we necessarily refined the lore and setting to match.

At some point this was a retro-styled game involving knights? Monahan posted about that on his Twitter.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

mognog

Normal eggnog but with diesel in it to absorb stray ions and recharge your shield

Don't fart!

Anyway thanks so much for the update man! The only thing more hilarious than a double-Donkey Mongoose is a Balao-Donkey Dorothy. Also Loyalists in freelance really spices things up. Take a rest from working, you guys deserve it! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 26, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I just spent an hour playing this game futilely trying to get past Gaswork Turnpikes on a Rope Kid. I keep getting killed but it's so much goddamn fun it doesn't matter. Man this game owns. I've said as much like twenty times in this thread alone but I can't get over how whenever I come back to this game I have so much fun.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
it's not really like the Spacers at all to use powersuits (too close to being a planetside vermin) but I'd like to see a Spacer powersuit-esque thing, maybe a bulky android that moves faster than a mongoose but has less health

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

gauss posted:

So the game has a lot of Portuguese mostly because there's a lot of interesting history there to suggest, though lightly, and that in turn informs the overall tone of the game, and it's not a flavor I think you see a lot in games. If Spanish/Portuguese is invoked in games, it tends to go pretty cartoonishly over the top with like a Meso-American theme on the game, and that to me is pretty tiring.

I really enjoyed the South American feel of the game world personally. It lent an interesting flavor and it brought to mind the banana republics and strongman juntas of that region, but it also felt real. There's a ton of verisimilitude within the game in every facet but particularly this one. Generally with games invoking ethnic themes you get a stereotyped version of it, and in any other game a space colony inspired by Latin America would have mariachi music everywhere and people would be constantly wearing sombreros. Brigador did diversity right: There's no ham-fisted stereotypes, and there's also no Burger-King-Kids-Club tokenism either.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Corvidized Forklift

Bet you didn't know what you wanted out of life until now

instead of bullrushing when hitting space the forklift lifts up, tipping over mechs and tanks

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

Was a jump ability ever considered?

It might be really difficult to code but jet boots as a special ability would be really cool, if kind of useless compared to the other abilities.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

give us a heavy mount corvid ersatz-railgun. fire inaccurate bricks at relativistic velocity

Corvid Artillery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R020sGRaM5Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dexie posted:

I didn't even know this game existed until that video went up.

Eight minutes of watching it and I was sold.

Welcome, Brigador.