Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I finally got around to installing this after buying it and I've been enjoying it a lot so far, the controls did take some getting used to (and a lot of deaths) but I've finally started to get the hang of it and I'm pulling off better maneuvers in tight corners and such. I've done a half dozen campaign missions and messed around in freelance some and currently have almost all the weapons unlocked, mainly because I just enjoy reading the notes that go with them, and I suppose I'll start working on the vehicles next.

I'm gonna be honest though, it's really fuckin hard for me not to always use the AK Pulse on every loadout I get the choice with. Like yeah, sure, smoke, active camo, but did you know I could simply click a button and make everything in front of me not exist? It's true! I never played with the old one so I dunno what that was like but this new version gets an unqualified thumbs up from me. Half the time I wind up using it as a panic button when my careless destruction gets me mobbed by a fleet of fast-moving vehicles swarming my suddenly fragile-seeming mech, half the time I just use it to blow massive holes in terrain I can't be bothered to manually stomp through.

I did have a question though, how do the pilot stats work? Things like min/max difficulty and payout multiplier? How/when are those minimums and maximums checked and applied and what does the difficulty rating do exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

anthony patch posted:

Yeah we snuck some heavy stuff in there if you know where to look

I mean one of the first new pilots you can unlock is a single mom doing merc work to pay the bills, it makes loving up and walking into an explosive object all the worse.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Finally beat Metal Health using the Mog, man that was rough. I'm pissed though because I even managed to kill that superheavy spotter tank without setting off the alarm and then some other rear end in a top hat spots me, otherwise it was a perfect run and I killed many a tank from long range by shooting it in the rear end up 'til that point. I made that Bonesaw earn its keep too, that's a handy little weapon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The entries for the Parliament cannon and Broiler discharge laser are pretty choice as a matched set.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

VolticSurge posted:

Also love the one for the AK Pulse casually saying that deploying it is basically a warcrime.

The Black Hand also mentions this, then goes on to mention that the only people who could effectively prosecute said warcrimes are the ones most frequently employing Spacers to use them. Brigador's setting is gloriously dystopian.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's a reasonable, corporate kind of dystopian. Very believable!

Yeah, I think they key to writing a dystopia is to do so as matter-of-factly as possible, which the writing in the game more or less does.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So do Steam reviews take a while to post or is it simply sending mine into a black hole? I've tried to post one twice now and it's not showing up, but I don't post a lot of Steam reviews so maybe I'm just being an idiot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fish Noise posted:

Brigador addresses its dystopia as what I will call an Americanism. There was that time before the bottom fell out recently where a lot of online interactions basically went "you do WHAT in the US?" "wait, you don't?" over some backwards or regressive or horrid thing that's simply been normalized.

The entire entry on the Loyalists is good because it conveys both how lovely life on Novo Solo is but also how much worse off they could be (and probably will be after the SNC is through with the place). "There are two things that changed when Great Leader took power: first, water got a lot cheaper. Second, the incidence of murders, aggravated assault, sexual violence, and starvation all dropped about a million percent."

This is coming from a Loyalist-cum-Corvid so his perspective may be biased of course, and it's pretty clear from other lore entries (Katar Joutsen, the Chuffer) that Great Leader's regime wasn't exactly a progressive and uplifting march of human rights, but the Loyalists don't seem to be loyal for no reason whatsoever.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 19, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Okay, I've found the thing I don't like, Joy Bus is like the opposite of fun.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

anthony patch posted:

Here's a great video for doing it the Hard way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTVVusuZWc

"kosher" route is to break through the trains and get the ammo depots at the back of the level. Easiest with the Arlo.

Yeah I suspect that might be the case, and I did actually wind up doing it the "hard way" because I started with the Shortbus and in that thing it's effectively impossible to break through before the Bombuchas kill you. Queue about 50 tries of me attempting to herd those things into incoming mortars and failing miserably, or succeeding only to wind up getting killed by the tank. I also like how literally no video I've watched of someone completing that mission has opted to go destroy the depots afterwards.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

anthony patch posted:

We won't be showing, but I've got a full pass and will definitely haunt whatever indies are showing there, and will absolutely be at the M&VS show saturday night. May or may not wear the helmet, I'm trying to figure out a way to signal who I am without losing all hearing in both ears.

Yellow raincoat + flashlight.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Corvid attempts at biotechnological augmentation basically resemble Jason Statham in Crank 2.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm sorry but if any faction has a dog pilot it's the Corvids.

"Outfitting animals with cranial jacks is one of those experiments that inevitably ends in disaster but that doesn't stop people from trying. Leave it to the Corvids to be insane, or desperate, enough to try it themselves. The sheer data throughput alone is enough to send less developed brains straight into fits of temporal lobe epilepsy followed, if the poor creature is lucky, by death shortly thereafter.

The Corvid solution to this dilemma is to simply hack away at the data feed until it's manageable for a brain incapable of speech. These Cachorro units aren't the most effective one on one, and their aim isnt the best, but there's something singularly unnerving about a pack of them bearing down on you, eager for another jolt to the pleasure centers that comes with a confirmed kill. Man's best friend indeed.

-MB"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Captain Foo posted:

Twin Duchess thanks this is really fun

Enjoying the vibrations, huh?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fish Noise posted:

With a chance for the jump jet welds to fail and initiate an exciting game of rocket roulette!

New Kerbal Space Program update looking good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm 230 posts too late but I can't believe nobody pointed out the best part of that Best Friends Play Brigador video is when they take the Buckler out for a spin on Fly Blackbird and try out the Broiler for the first time, the very first thing that comes out of the guy's mouth is "wait, is that a laser shotgun?"

I only wish someone was there to direct him to the lore entry.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

anthony patch posted:

...I may have to toy with a high arc Ploughman warhead that splits on the way down.

Yes, more war crimes please.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ZearothK posted:

On the other hand I am completely clueless as to how to do the missions with the Party Van.

Do like me and scream "WOOOOOO!" while holding down both firing buttons while doing donuts.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I will buy another copy of the game if you make it so that when I roll in a Treehouse every time I use the AK pulse it plays La Cucaracha.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fish Noise posted:

no regard for what is right and wrong

This would also make a pretty good thread title for what it's worth.

Like imagine that one irresponsible wizard comic, only instead of shotguns it's the Man from Volta wondering where he left his 355mm fuel-air munitions.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

overeager overeater posted:

Not exactly high level play, but you can do Gasworks Turnpike pretty cleanly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmNLplzAQM

This is the funniest poo poo I've seen all week, I'm in tears.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Buff Skeleton posted:

Guys

GUYS

Make the Scimitar into a low-arc artillery weapon (and boost the speed of the projectiles a bit) AND IT IS AWESOME

Behold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyxIm84o4FI

This is honestly kind of how I wish the Scimitar actually worked so good job.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My guess is you're probably gonna drive into a lot of your own war crimes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Do not set the split delay of a projectile to zero. The system will explode as soon as you pull the trigger.

Found on a post-it note hastily slapped to the side of the design bureau's latest prototype.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

anthony patch posted:

Alright folks, I need cheevo names, stat. These are for completing runs with specific loadouts, and I need help coming up with names for some of them:

MECHS
Two Brrrrts and a Boom
Complete a run with a Rat King equipped with 2x Königs and Audio-Kinetic Pulse

AGRAVS
Heavy Weather
Complete a run with a Kettle equipped with Harvester, Thunderclap, and Smoke Projector

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dhamster posted:

There should be one called "OH YEAAH!!"

Killdozer + AK Pulse + who cares

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Buff Skeleton posted:

Definitely this for OH YEAH

Alternately make a cheevo for Killdozer + Active Camo and call it "Hey, what's that soun-"

e; or actually just make this an achievement you get for performing a cloaked tank drive-by with any vehicle.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Dog pilot when?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
At least one vehicle needs pro MLG airhorns, I'm not sure which but I'm 100% sure it's a Corvid vehicle.

One should have something similar to the Inception "BWOMMMMM" and I feel like that's a Spacer.

The Treehouse obviously needs to be six or seven different carhorns sampled over each other until it's an unholy vehicular warcry that sounds like the wrath of god coming to town. Make them all play La Cucaracha.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh, and the tuk tuk needs a squeezy bike horn.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Airplanes have signal horns for the ground crew apparently, so there you go for the Swordfish.

The Rope Kid's horn is the headless bombhand guys from Serious Sam screaming.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Fatshoe should be a big rig's horn obviously, bonus points if you use the War Rig from Fury Road.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

vorebane posted:

I'm not sure what's the best thing about that pic, the comb on top of the dozer blade, the guy just now mentioning that the killdozer doesn't have our best interests in mind, or the guy firing his peashooter like it's going to hurt the thing. Maybe it's the angry eyes.

The best thing about that pic is "As seen on TV!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dhamster posted:

Not unlike, a grenade launcher round, which, to avoid killing the user, won't explode until it's traveled 30 meters or so.

Fortunately Corvid engineers have managed to easily correct that little design flaw.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So hey, guess which game is sitting at Overwhelmingly Positive?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Indeed, now about that dog pilot...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SpaceClown posted:

now about that great leader pilot....

Idea for a new Corvid vehicle: a Party Van, but with Great Leader's corpse propped up in the passenger seat wearing sunglasses, Weekend at Bernie's style.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In a setting where weaponized lasers are a thing that exists it seems like how effective air support is would be directly determined by how effective the ability to avoid being target locked is because you're no longer in a situation where popping flares and evasive maneuvers can feasibly attempt to save you from incoming fire once you're dealing with weapons that literally work at the speed of light.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Section Z posted:

I am adoring the mental image of a plane being shot by the Bully "Kinetic Laser" in particular :allears:

Seriously though, being a fighter jock in the Brigadoraverse seems like it would be an occupation with a lifespan measured in minutes because if even a backwater isolationist shithole like Solo Nobre can have weaponized lasers and hyperkinetic railguns then what the gently caress are you even going to do against someone more advanced? I suppose shields are a factor I hadn't initially considered that could give combat aircraft some measure of improved survivability but actually loitering around an AO with active air defenses for any amount of time still seems like it would be highly suicidal. It feels like air superiority is something you would use to lord it over an already beaten opponent just to put the boot on their neck that much harder instead of something you could use to reliably deal with entrenched opposition. Spacers of course probably have the ability to field advanced stealth/ECM aircraft that can provide active air support in hot zones, but my guess is that they don't find flying a fast-mover above the battlefield deleting dots on a radar screen visceral enough to be enjoyable, so out come the Broodmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Squiggle posted:

So the campaign has pre-set options for pilot/vehicle combos, but the payouts from the Campaign can be used to buy customization options in Freestyle mode.

Yeah, this is the thing that kind of confuses new players the most I think. Campaign missions are basically pre-set challenges...you get a vehicle with a predetermined loadout and thrown into a single map, some of which have gimmicks to them but are otherwise a standard contract. Freestyle/Freelance/whatever it's called is the mode where you pick vehicles, pilots, and weapon loadouts from all the stuff you own and have purchased with Brigabucks and opt to tackle various length mission chains to see if you can make it to the other end without dying.