Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

anthony patch posted:

Otherwise longer term we've got more pilots, vehicles, and levels in the pipe. Smaller update is coming soon, with the next bigger content one comin around Halloween.

Awesome! Also this game is all kinds of sweet and I have sold multiple copies to my friends for very good reason.

(I do have an idea floating around in my head for an anti-riot weapon that became big once they realized that firing aerosolized adhesives to restrict movement worked pretty well when the adhesives turned out to be flammable, and when a rioter tried to light a molotov cocktail it turned the shot into a fuel-air bomb. A nice politically expedient stage between lethal force and having to escalate in response to hostile action. I think I have a swollen war crimes gland.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

gauss posted:

we are kicking around the idea of kickstarting an art/lore book for the game post launch, any takers? nice way to actually carve out some deluxe renderings like these plus more than just a little text box elaboration on various lore things, short stories etc.

Oh, also, this is a post from a while back, but holy poo poo would I ever.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Well, I finally did it.

drat good game. (I wouldn't say no to a hella sweet achievement to put on my profile)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Squiggle posted:

Two of those Five-Aces missions will forever bar me from 100% completion

Because I am bad.

Which of them? Because not a single one of them is anything other than hard, but there's tricks to playing them that do help. If you've gotten through the party bus and the last troubadour run, you can't be outright bad, those are nasty as well.

Seriously, 5 Aces is really good right up until he's really not good, and it's a knife edge trick to managing it. Lots of fast enemies are brutal unless you're on point splashing them early and/or work from inside smoke well. The few enemies that you can't salvo down with a pair of carlos shots before they get shields up are usually an existential threat if they bring anything else on, so either lure them away to where you can handle them alone (that's what I took to doing with the ones at the start of Wait for the Blackout), or murder everything they could draw on (I couldn't kill the captain/spotters in Placebo Syndrome before they hit the alarm so I went around and killed all the adds, including the troubadour squadrons from the whole map before tangling with them). Side/rear shots are nice but they face smoke so it can be a huge pain actually getting them.

It's No Game isn't that bad once you have the knack for fighting from smoke, the last two citadels are a bit bad but not that awful and you can always lay smoke and thunder run them. If you're having trouble with the start fight, you can make a small hole in the mausoleum buildings in the upper left corner to split which spawns can see you. Remember your stomp in smoke, it's a primary weapon for the Fence.

Kill For Love is painful and I don't really remember how I did it other than remembering to shoot from maximum range and making the most of smoke. Don't let the big guys get their shields up, but at least they're fragile spacers. Be careful that you don't accidentally pull one of the big guys or set the alarm. Try and pick which groups you shoot at to keep the pulls manageable.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 17, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Squiggle posted:

I just checked - it's actually three. D2, D3, and D4.

In hindsight I think I may've just played EVERYTHING up to that point and took a break right at the end after I got frustrated at that sniper Fence. Specifically trying to carefully snipe my way through D2 with those giant Spacer fucks. Also the clouds of bikes and other poo poo on D3/Placebo Effect.

I will say though that I do really love the puzzle aspect that Brigador takes on with some of these campaign maps. I just found a few I couldn't beat relatively easily.

Yeah, D2, D3, and D4 are all pains, and need some persistence. Reiterating from the last page:

D2 is painful and I don't really remember how I did it other than remembering to shoot from maximum range and making the most of smoke. Don't let the big guys get their shields up, but at least they're fragile spacers. Be careful that you don't accidentally pull one of the big guys or set the alarm. Try and pick which groups you shoot at to keep the pulls manageable.

D3 is where you learn to deal with large groups of fast enemies. The troubadour groups are bad news, but that swarming and speed that kills you is super handy when you're inside smoke. They drive right on top of you, you stomp them, you shoot the ones that are outside your splash, they all die, and it works surprisingly well. There's a group in the upper left of mechs that's actually pretty nasty, be on the lookout for that, most everything else can be handled with ambushes or in the case of troubadour squadrons a long range splash salvo to start and then a smokefight. Stay out of sight of the big guys till you've cleared the map of chaff.

D4 is just a pain. I never figured out a particularly good way to deal with the two treehouses at the start, but they're doable. From there I like to clear out to the lower right. It's probably not worth tangling with the wad of captains if you don't have to. Once you reach the lower right corner, progress down and to the right, keeping at long range and staying conservative with your pulls. The rope kids are frustrating so be on the lookout for them and try not to airmail shots past the captains in the city.

Fish Noise posted:

I'm not finished with the missions myself but something I found that's useful to remember is that Fence is real poo poo at actually being power armor since the pilot rides on the outside. The significance of this being that it thus has 360 turret rotation, so when sniping you can always set up with your legs backwards and ready to scoot the instant the Carlos are in the air.

This is very true as well. The fast 360 turn is useful for pulling stunts the Mog might not be able to get away with.

It's still right up there with the party bus and maybe the troubadour in tight maps for being though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 17, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Splode posted:

That would be great, ArmA but with neon ultraviolence would be a blast.

I need to start working my way though the campaign again with the vehicles i avoided the first time

Yeah, it's definitely a worthwhile experience.

And I'd be so down for neon ultraviolence ArmA.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It's funny, I stopped playing for a while and just plowed right into the missions I hadn't finished, and I think I somehow got better over time or something. I just tried the evacuation mission in the sleepwalker, and after like one run to get used to the loadout, that thing was a beast that eats faces through walls. This game really rewards thinking about things and playing to your strengths.

Also, something that I've really noticed when thinking about design is just how well the spotting/noise system works, especially in making a bunch of different playstyles viable. Small weapons frequently being utterly devastating when they're used against unready enemies is really interesting too, and seems to work well. I've been trying to think through some issues of tabletop semi-stealth in a more openworld setting, and this is definitely going to be a design touchstone. It does things right that I don't even think that Ghost Recon: Wildlands does right while explicitly trying to do exactly that, as an example.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It's probably reading through this thread actually. Actually properly thinking about good game mechanics lets you engage with them better, and I was kind of playing it as a simple twin stick shooter.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Squiggle posted:

Brigador's campaign especially requires taking more of a puzzle-solving approach than is immediately obvious on some mid-campaign missions, and I think that's something players run into.

Yeah, especially for the lighter vehicles. There's usually a faceroll option. That's what I usually took earlier, and definitely what I did best with. There's a lot of room for finesse that really leverages your tools though, and that takes some thought.

Managing direct enemy sight and alarm state are both really big things that definitely take some understanding, especially in setups like J5A's where you've got a decent amount of penetration and murder hull but are only okay against shields.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 18, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I decided to try recording D4. I died, then I was doing great when dinner started (and I'm heading out for a while so that's all you'll get) and I went out in a blaze of :krad: glory. It'll be up soonish.

It'll be uploaded in about 20 minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIAobe5_Bzg

It's got the first bit.

Just remember the J5A checklist:

1. Cold-bloodedly gun down the enemies.
Are you doing step 1? Keep doing it.
If you aren't, drop smoke, round a corner, or set up a shot through light cover until you are.

Oh, and don't mess with the tidal wave of captains. It can be done. It's not worth it.

For small light enemies, your first two shots are a big deal. Try to dump each in a cluster of enemies. Remember that they land a bit past your aim guide.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 24, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Jesus, a bunch of those Corvid bikes just ran right pass you in the smoke. And I had bit of nervousness when I saw you blow through that gazebo line and roust all those Killdozers.

Yeah, playing about smoke is crucial to staying alive against fast things. If you can't splash them on the way in, pop smoke and move enough that they blow through your last spotted location. It's a bit less effective against super-heavies just because they turn to face it and front shots don't pop their whole hull in one salvo, but if their shields are raising or they're otherwise alerted to you it's still worthwhile, especially if you can lay a longer cloud to move in.

andrew smash posted:

Hmm, thanks, learned quite a bit about pulling with impact sounds just from watching the first bit of that video. I had previously been dealing with the two early treehouses by punching through the alarm gate at the bottom right and getting through the opening under smoke, then killing stuff in a slow loop until i could get them from behind. Your way at least makes runs much, much faster.

Yup. There's other ways that work fine, but I like that one because it gets the most common cause of death out of the way quickly and efficiently. Plus, I find it's at least semi-reliable, while other ways can get frustrating because it's really easy to get sloppy with pulls by mistake. The nice thing about that sound pull is that it isolates the treehouses so you're not very likely to pull a bunch of other stuff by whiffing a shot long. One thing worth noting is if you get in real close to them, do be careful to aim accurately when salvoing both shots. That first go at it went bad in part because I whiffed one of two shots into that Treehouse's back.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

gauss posted:

:tipshat: thank you so much! nice work. i've still got a few diamonds to fill out myself, despite having played and beaten the levels so many times while designing them.

how does 20 more diamonds to do sound? :D

Oh hell yes.

Flattery wise, Brigador is pretty much my default single player right now. If I want to play a game, it's going to be something else if and only if I've got a particular itch Brigador can't scratch. Then again right now I've been playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands to get a feel for why Brigador's approach to fuzzy stealth in an openish area feels more satisfying than GR:W's (I think it's got to do with brigador really making it possible and satisfying to avoid being tracked by some enemies and to keep a lid on enemies that try transmitting, while whiffing a shot in GR:W translates to a global enemy alert instantaneously) so even that's not flattering to you guys.

I'm really tempted to go utterly insane and do an in-character guide to managing noise and enemy attraction.

"Welcome Brigador. We're pleased that you've accepted the financing for our instructional video on how to make the best use of the resources we can offer. We predict that attempting to transcend your limitations in this manner will pay for itself within two runs."

"vox propria, Cephei Chatfield."

Should I try?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 29, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

So long as you include Man From Volta's hint corner.

Oh I definitely want to do Man From Volta hints, and Cephei making comments along the lines of "despite his vocal mannerisms giving those stunted by being limited to a planet a brief glimmer of how spacers feel about them, this "Man from Volta" shows the instinct towards civilized action common to all planetdwellers when directed towards a foe."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

loving hell are those new missions intense.

poo poo, I'm going to have to substitute actual skill for bloody-minded determination, aren't I?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If it had co-op, I'd buy brigador 2 for just about everyone I know.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Is "So it goes" a Vonnegut reference?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Buckmaster loadout is a hell of a ride on Never Had Wings. Yes I want to duel waves of fliers with a light machine gun and a railgun in spaces with tons of low building.

Still, all I've got to do is get the freelance runs and 10k civilians. I'm almost there.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

anthony patch posted:

We've been conducting some experiments...

They come with wreckage included? Super classy!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

gently caress now I need to make a Brigador rules module for Genesys so you can tabletop RP in that horrifying world.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The mae dois is the M2. I think the Carlos is the Carl Gustav.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Do we have much information about Precursor James?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

anthony patch posted:

While not everyone does, we *can* canonically say that Normal Osberger actually does survive the night of the Brigadors and makes it offworld. Think what you will of the SNC knowing this information.

Was the payout larger than the life insurance policy they got him to sign with?

Also, I've been so tempted to make brigador small weapons show up in my Rogue Trader game as cameos. I may still do it, actually.

I really legitimately want to make a turn-based infantry combined arms game something like old-school x-com, and Brigador is enticing. Especially that bit about spacers sending suits with black hands, lockdowns and active camo if they *really* want you dead.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 11, 2018

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

black hand is a Spray, Irradiates weapon, but how are you going to incorporate the "dead at 50yds, cancer at 150yds" thing. spray weapons have a template

I might've already foreshadowed temblors if I want those in.

I'm also tempted to add things like crambos and/or bullies.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

There wouldn't be top-down renders of the various designs, would there?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Also, if hypothetically speaking I get off my rear end long enough to figure out a proper tabletop rpg ruleset and make a rules module for Brigador, would it be possible to get more lore together?

Finally, have a really good Hugh Armbruster cosplay, straight from Syria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeJwh0Adhks&t=911s

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

Abrams is not wel suited for war crimes.

It's a tank that also has a person sized hair dryer for an exhaust.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

change the player stats to the enemy ones

varlet might actually be more durable

Yeah, this'd be the more interesting one. Just need to get your ambushes dead on right.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fork with a crambo, bully and smoke.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

LeSquide posted:

I must be missing something; was the mod stuff supposed to come with already playable community content?

Yeah, the install directory should have a /modkit directory, with a readme.txt in it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

They are all doable.

Not pictured: a week learning the hang of things.

They're all doable, they're all absolutely a pain in the neck until you really get the vehicles. Leverage your artillery/tubarao. Don't trade shots unnecessarily. Enemies go to the site of a harvester blast, not where you launch from. They go to where you shot the faker from, but you don't have to be there when they get there. Don't waste your special but use it aggressively and decisively, it's very powerful.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

It's really not that hard to recognize trans people are people or to stop using bigoted slurs. I guess to assholes it looks like an impossible purity test.

It's real loving easy. It's real drat easy to not say things that are as breathtakingly easy to disprove as he did.

Silver lining is from talking to him, he's reacted like he genuinely understands how much he's hosed up people who love his work. So I'm pissed and hurt now, but I've got hope for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Hey guys I got an informant on the inside. He has 48000 posts so they'll never suspect him. Secret Goon Discord is going to be laughing all the way to the cancel bank with these screenshots.

Hey, welcome to the thread!

You're new, so you might appreciate some of the basics about the game. You can get a lot better control over a walker or tank if you switch from screen absolute to relative controls, so you get better control over which direction your vehicle goes and better ability to rapidly switch directions and go fast on the fly. It's a bit harder to get into but worth it if you want to put the time in.