Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I've been meaning to get to this game forever, and wow have I been missing out. I don't really have anything productive to say (except that I would totally be up for a dating sim version of the game like the top of this page suggests- I love the Mongoose!) but god drat is this really satisfying to play. I love that so many different kinds of weapons work and in so many different ways. I love that you can choose how difficult you want the game to be by choosing different vehicles, they're not meant to be equally challenging. I love that everything breaks. I love that the AI is competent enough to be a threat but not so competent you can't manipulate it like putty if you know what to do. I love the colour of the game. I love that you're not the good guy or even the well-meaning bad guy, the game just gives you chemical weapons on the first mission you have to kill some people who are on-foot in a crowd. I love the soundtrack. There's so much good stuff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well of course I don't, the Mongoose doesn't really plod very well. It's a good excuse to use the AKP to vaporize any buildings that accidentally got left standing though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is it worth destroying the power substations if no alarm has been sounded yet? I feel like most of the time all they do is make it harder to see and easier for me to accidentally walk into explosive things and kill myself.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I do love Black Handing people through walls. Probably my favourite weapon- a quiet warcrime that doesn't care about cover.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

I've never wanted to be a sleepwalker so much

No kidding! Sleepwalker is always great, but especially there.

Broodmare is pretty loving sweet too though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Okay, that got me pretty good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ever since the update I've been getting a thing where every stat block is displayed as a question mark, like this:

Doesn't seem to affect anything, just looks weird.

p.s. I know it would be an absurd amount of work but drat I wish I could co-op in this game. Was talking to a buddy last night and we just wanted to step on tanks together.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That twitter background header of the Mongoose is hella rad.

Speaking of modding in, A) is there a reasonable way to make the non-playable vehicles playable? And B) is there a level editor? I saw a think from before the game was released suggesting it might come out, but can't find any current info. I have the itch to do level stuff and have really been liking this game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Hey Gauss/Wake/karl, any chance the AKP could get a distinctive wub or crack? It’s satisfying to use but the collapse of several city blocks usually drowns out whatever noise it makes. I’d love some bass or a kind of seismic charge riff.

I just finished my first high-difficulty powersuit run. It’s really fun to use the city as a maze for sneaking rather than an obstacle to crash through.

Also on that note, pretty please let us use the other powersuits! I'm alright enough at fiddling with the console to get into the Juke and Coffin, but not good enough that I can set the health stats to persist properly between levels or give it unique movement stats. Power suit runs are so much fun though.

e: and no horns. :[

aniviron fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 19, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Azran posted:

Are you modifying the playervehicle files for the vehicle in question? Or are using the "select player's current mech" options? The former will have everything you're looking for - there's even the option to rearrange or add vehicles to the warcrime machine selection screen.

I've been mostly relying on the latter, though I did dabble in the former. I figured out how to modify existing vehicles, but I will have to look into adding more, which was what I wanted- I like to spice things up and choose new murdermachines so I hate the idea of giving up other vehicles to bring some of the non-playable ones in. I tried manually creating some .json files for adding stuff in but either that doesn't work or more likely I did it wrong.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Azran posted:

Are you modifying the playervehicle files for the vehicle in question? Or are using the "select player's current mech" options? The former will have everything you're looking for - there's even the option to rearrange or add vehicles to the warcrime machine selection screen.

Alright I figured most of it out, now I just have to learn how I managed to make Brigador crash every time I select certain vehicles, even via the debug menu.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Azran posted:

Did you manage to find the way to add more vehicles to the lists? I can't recall from memory but I can boot the game up and check for you.

As long as you only mess with values such as hull, shield, knockback, etc. you shouldn't have any issues :v: Brigador would throw a fit if I ever dared to mess with movement types and legs.

Yeah I have a bunch of new stuff in the lists; the thing that seems to be causing issues is messing with the weapons. I really quite like the Widow, but the default non-player config has two small hardpoints and two aux hardpoints, plus no horn. The playable version defaults to two smalls and no aux plus no horn and I've hit a snag somewhere trying to get it set up as two aux plus a horn. Most other things that only have two hardpoints or have the two useful hardpoints first are no issue.

e: I have everything working except the Widow, which crashes the game if I try to launch a mission with it, or if I expand the "Guns" tab of the mech in the debug menu. I'd try and fix whatever I broke with it except that trying to fix it crashes the game. Removing the modified spc_lmech_04.json in the data folder of Brigador does nothing, and I'm not sure how else to reset the data to default. Not sure what's broken in the guns section though, looking through the last .json of it all that is listed for guns is a single weapon with socket horn0 with spc_horn_04.json as the weapon. Looks exactly the same as everything else I added a horn to.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 20, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

anthony patch posted:

I’m going to be adding new playable vehicles and I’ll see about making all player variants have proper configurations so you guys can add them and futz with it if you want.

Hooray! This makes me very happy. Out of curiosity, why are so many vehicles non-playable by default? Is it mostly just because so many have third+ weapon hardpoints and don't play nice with the normal player rules, or is it because the list of vehicles is already huge, or something I'm missing?

Buff Skeleton posted:

You gotta verify the game cache in Steam to get back to defaults if you didn't back up assets.pack first. Keep a stock version of that file around for situations like this when modding. I usually make a new copy of assets.pack whenever I get a stable set of changes, so I have something to fall back on if I break stuff later.

General rule: adding new slots to things tends to cause that crash you experienced. Editing existing ones is the way to go. So, that said, I'm not sure if there's a way to actually make a playable Widow with dual Aux slots without the crash stuff.

Ahhh, that's too bad. At least now I know how to make the changes I want to make, so redoing them won't take too long. Thanks for letting me know.

e: yeah no idea what I did wrong, but everything works now. Thanks for the help!

e2: okay nope, back to a state where everything works but the Widow; the Widow works until I restart the game, then it crashes the game on selection in the debug or trying to launch a mission with it. Think I'll just wait for the patch at this point.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 21, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

anthony patch posted:

Because I didn’t want to add vehicles that I didn’t have time to balance. Even now I’m not happy with a lot of them. We’ll see how the patch turns out.

Ah, that's totally fair. To your credit, even if you're not happy with how things are, this game is a lot more balanced than most anything else I've played in a while. I rarely feel like a weapon is just flat out bad or there is a vehicle I can't make work at all. The only things that feel too strong are things that are supposed to feel too strong, like the Broodmare, which again, is totally fine.

p.s. I just noticed that the loading screen with the Touro firing has a sabot that is discarding correctly. That's ridiculous attention to detail and whoever made that did an awesome job and knows their poo poo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh my god you mad bastard. I am amazed that you managed to take hull damage without dying. I am amazed the giant Olmec head didn't punch your clock when it started firing at you. And I am amazed you did not kill yourself with Donkeys.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I too really like the Otomo on the Sledger, though I usually pair it with a Carlos, I can see the appeal of a Pinch.

How does the description go? They look funny, but nobody's laughing after a squad of them rolls through. Something like that- accurate, I'd say.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Poor Phil! He doesn't deserve this; like me, he just wants to step on all the rich people's houses. (And let me tell you I can't play any of the suburban maps without causing millions of credits of needless destruction, drat you whoever put those in).

I almost voted for Kennedy Spits, but how can you hate someone who is always improving themselves?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I wound up voting for Scottie Graf in the end.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Squiggle posted:

gauss and tony-p y'all should make a game about a merc crew and its deranged old captain's descent-into-madness pursuit of The Auditor

I've been playing Nantucket

I mentioned a few pages back that I had a friend who plays this, and coincidentally he and I both also GM nerd-style games every week with a group of our mutual friends; and we both thought a Brigador campaign in the Genesys system sounded loving rad. What you said sounds like an amazing premise for a short campaign, I might just steal it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Can I just say by the way, I love the Galinha. One is alright but anything with two aux mounts and decent enough speed you can funnel enemies in and just pound them from max distance with 12mm all day. I use everything else for fun but when the chips are down a light heavy or heavy light with double Galinhas is savage.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Funny thing is, the posts about weapon balance I missed while sleeping are almost all right, even while being contradictory. Though I will still stand by double Galinhas on max difficulty, when I do Precursor runs it's usually with that setup. I forget who it was who likes the Chuffer too but I agree with them, super strong for an aux mount. I like the Ploughman but honestly eight canisters of Tubaro is kind of overkill and usually all that does that a Chuffer's two canisters won't is destroy the ammo you could salvage from the hulk. Oh, and the fork just rules flat-out, though gutterballs are fun :3: It's why I spent so much time and so many posts trying to make the Widow playable properly; it's like a Fork, but Spacery, and I love the Spacer look.

Ceyton posted:

Every year, TheBlandName tries to get the Touro mothballed and every year he gets laughed out of the thread.

I laughed way way too hard at that. Big full body laugh. My hat's off to you sir.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

After some of the hot takes about the Galinha in this thread I finally decided to do the closed casket special, with double Galinhas. Made it through 37 of 39 maps on difficulty 11 without taking any hull damage only for a Stillman with a Jericho to blow up a gas station I was ever so slightly in range of and one-shot me from full. Regardless, I feel pretty vindicated about that, the loadout definitely has what it takes to win.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Psycho Landlord posted:

How many alarms did you trigger while trying to kill Leviathans?

Exactly one. Every other time, I actually shot it in the rear end (usually through walls) and killed it before it was a problem.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I came back to the thread alt tabbed on my second attempt at a closed casket special to report that I just realized the rich people have hot tubs in their back yards. Ugh. This makes me so upset, that even dirt eaters in a future dystopia have much nicer things than me. Had nicer things than me.

p.s. in regards to small have you heard about Our Lady of Warcrimes, the Black Hand?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Okay now I need something with aux and small.

"One man, on a mission to pull off- the perfect warcrime."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Section Z posted:

My good boy the Eightball mech :buddy:. I also really like the Duke. Aux/Small and one of the few A-gravs with independent weapon rotation, though it's turn speed is a bit low.

Then there is the Troubadour, Party Van, and Arlo Agrav, which is probably more convenient to fly than the Duke.

Trip report: I started with the Arlo with a Chuffer and Black Hand before remembering I hate the Arlo, so I hightailed it to the spaceport to commit warcrimes like a real spacer: in a Sledger, the Chuffer swapped out for a Ploughman. Sadly, the Sledger is slow and awkward unlike the glorious Stillwell, but still, much of The Deads are now even less inhabitable than usual thanks to Tubaro residue and lingering radiation.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The gas is coming... FROM INSIDE THE DINER!!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ambaire posted:

Can't create new files? aw, dang. I was going to ask if you were going to make the tools available for creating new levels or had any plans to release any more. Pretty much all I play are precursor closed casket runs and some new levels would shake things up nicely. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd happily pay :10bux: or whatever for a level pack.

Another nice possible feature would be a way to do a full Solo Nobre run but randomize the level order.

Also, regarding your comment about 'within the top 20% of Brigador players'.. heh. According to steam global gameplay stats, 0.2% of players completed the closed casket / campaign / full solo nobre runs. Although if I'm reading these achievement percentages right, it doesn't seem like many players do much more than a few hours if that. 8% of owners completed a freelance operation with 100% objectives... 4% killed 1000 raincoats. And then there's a 58%-42% difference between people who finished Awake on Foreign Shores and Turn It Out.

I have to wonder.. does steam chart achievement statistics for people who got a refund for the game? I would hope not, but then I take a look at only 9% of players did a level at 100% speed and 13% order of death and I have to wonder.

These all seem to track pretty well to me. Most games experience a pretty steep initial dropoff in players but then the deeper you go the less deterioration you get, but many just don't make it all the way through. Something something salmon metaphor. Also, I'm a bit surprised that 9% of people have played at 100% speed; I think the default is 85% and after getting so used to that in the campaign, by the time I looked deeper into the settings and thought to change it it threw all my timings off.

Sad to hear about the level editor, but understandable. I saw the Volition stream with Brigador from a few years back and one of you guys mentioned it was like StarEd for Starcraft which was great, and I would have loved to have used that for such a cool game. I know adding mod support to a game can be a huge ordeal though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

andrew smash posted:

I just ran into a frustrating thing about halfway through a closed casket run - i finished a map, clicked to start the next one and it loaded the first map in the list again with $0 in damage listed. The freelance run menu flashed for a split second before the map loaded so I assume I must have accidentally hit resign although i have no idea how.

Might be an accidental right click? I have done that a couple times, if the right click is pressed on the map aftermath/select menu it returns you to the freelance menu.

Baronjutter posted:

I like to totally flatten the spaceport at the end of a good long mission. I want nothing but maximum destroyed rubble filling my entire screen with only the little invincible drop ship left.

Me too. "Hey shuttle pilot, I hope you didn't need the spaceport part of the spaceport to take off. An open debris field is just as good, right?"

Also while I was filling out the survey I found this magical thing in the community artwork section which I thought you should all know about.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

p.s. Phil Bromlin did nothing wrong so if you haven't voted go make sure Baby Sous-Vide lady is the most hated Brigador: https://twitter.com/gausswerks/status/956609522470129668

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I just tried This One Weird Trick that You Won't Believe to make Brigador look even better, thought I might share.

If you're on an Nvidia card, when you go to the nvidia control panel and 3d settings, there's an option called DSR. If you set DSR - Factors to 2/4x, in most games you will now get an option to run games at twice/four times your monitor's normal screen area, which then gets downsampled to your native resolution. Turns out, it works pretty well for Brigador; the only real downside is that the UI will get a bit smaller. Otherwise, images are slightly sharper, and the lighting engine in particular seems to benefit from the increased sharpness. If you do decide to do this, I recommend turning the DSR smoothness value way down to under 5%, which is a good general idea when using DSR anyway but especially for a game like this I'm running at 0%.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

with dual triple otomos

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This reminded me that I hadn't tried out the Zed Prime yet. Normally I wouldn't bug the thread about it but it has a unique horn! It's super cool! I wish it was in the normal roster of playable vehicles, because as it's setup by default you're stuck with one turreted weapon on top and just one of the eye lasers; and limiting the turret's traverse to match the eye laser's rotation just isn't the same. Though it does look a bit weird to see a weapon barrel sticking out of the eye, I seem to remember that there's a way to make the mounted weapons invisible.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's what I do, but it means getting a random starting map and the same spaceport every time. I do agree with Baronjutter, it would be lovely; I suspect it's a lot of work for not a lot in return though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thoughts on the new EMP: It's much better than the old EMP. I'm still not sure it would be my go-to choice over the smoke & cloak for the same reason I prefer those two to the AKP- largely that while it can be used defensively, it's not as useful for prolonging my survival as the other two, and survival is at a premium in this game. It's not as fun as the AKP either, but I will say that it's probably better than it now. Most of the games I was playing were in a pinch/black hand Hoker so I wasn't attracting the kind of attention that would let me really test the radius; for that, I loaded up the allmechs test map with god mode on and just aggro'd everyone then fired into the center. Holy poo poo it shuts down most of the screen. I can see that being useful for the kind of situations where you get a bit louder than you were meaning to and 80% of the enemies are clogging up the boulevard in front of you. All the above said, it's better than the AKP for survival now because I did get into a few panic button situations and the EMP got me out of every single one, whether by letting me focus down the dangerous enemy, killing a shield truck, or just booking it.

In terms of specifics, the firing of it feels better. I dunno exactly if it's the projectile speed, the arc, or just the fact that the radius is so big I don't have to be as precise, but the old EMP felt like it was really easy to miss with, and the new one not so much. That said, it's still way too easy to get the canister stuck on an overhanging monorail or the lip of a building. Is it possible to give the projectile a bit of penetration so that doesn't happen? It really really sucks to ever so slightly clip something like that and then being stuck on a 25s cooldown. As far as that cooldown goes, well, part of me feels like it's a touch long, I don't think it'd be wildly OP with a 20s cooldown still, but maybe I need to bring it on bigger mechs. At the speed I'm zipping around in the stuff I prefer to play, it means that I only have the EMP on tap for one out of every four or five engagements at best.

Oh, and I've always loved the EMP light effect where power flickers back on, and the much larger radius it has now makes that much more pronounced, and it looks really cool. I looked for the emergency lighting thing you mentioned earlier but didn't see it, if it's in.

Regarding the new pilots, I like what's been added. The writing & portraits are top-notch, equal in every way to the ones already in the game, and that I very much like. That said, it might be nice if you could spell out a little more explicitly that the pilots only fight certain factions- I could see this being very confusing for someone who wasn't reading this thread already, and even I wasn't certain which ones fought which enemies without consulting the list. It might be worth putting down a note under the payout multiplier like "NOTE: This pilot's is only cleared to fight enemies matching the threat profiles of: Corvid." or something.

One final note that I learned not specifically about this patch is that I realized my cat knows the music for this game. She has realized that I will not pet her because I am busy when the game music is playing, but the exact moment that the theme comes back on because a contract is complete, there's a mrowing from under my desk and a tail against my leg because I will spare the time between runs. You can congratulate Makeup and Vanity Set on having an excellent enough score that even my cat knows it.

p.s. I also found an entire place on the internet (it's reddit I'm sorry) full of real life Corvid vehicles. If this one were painted blue instead of olive drab, it might as well be perfect.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 9, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Buff Skeleton posted:

Wowza, 25 second cooldown? I haven't tried it yet, but I personally would trade blast radius for reduced cooldown time. Anything more than 15 seconds or so is something I won't use much since the penalty for misuse is so long. With the EMP as it is right now, you don't have to wait so long if you fire it and don't hit your intended target or miss completely.

Yeah, like I said, feels really bad to clip something with the canister and just be SOL for almost half a minute. I do think adding quite a bit of penetration would fix the problem more than anything else so that you're not missing shots with it; you wouldn't want to reduce the cooldown too much, because you can easily disable like 30+ enemies with this if you've drawn too much aggo, and that's super powerful. In a heavy mech, that's 30 free kills.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah playing with an Aetos with two Chieftains and the New EMP I definitely feel that this works better for heavy vehicles. I'd draw a lot more aggro than in something small, but having two chieftains meant that I could chew through all eight captains, two Fafnirs, and the 22 other guys who got hit with the EMP before it wore off (or at least get close) instead of being in a smol vehicle where I'd get a couple kills but still be in a less than great spot. I drove with Sequin Parrot this last time and the EMP is particularly devastating against Spacers who tend to clump their forces and who rely so heavily on shields. I think it could stand to have a couple seconds knocked off the time and I wish the projectile went through objects, but other than that the effect itself is very satisfying and a long cooldown is merited.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hey, that's excellent news! I have not lost many runs to that but I have done it a few times and it sucks.

Really looking forward to the patch, sounds like a lot of good stuff is coming.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Makes me think of those late 90s wallpapers that had the same object rotated at different angles repeated on a grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I've done closed casket twice, takes me a bit under two hours generally. I'm usually pretty thorough, I tend to do all objectives in my runs but I don't really bother hunting down things I miss in CCS- that said, if I walk by an objective, I'll take it.

It also helps that I tend to prefer faster stuff. First CCS was in a Widow, second was in a Rounder, but most of my long runs tend to be light heavies or heavy lights like the Sparrow, Widow, Fork, Sleepwalker, etc. If I'd been in a Broodmare or Lowmill or whatever CCS would have taken way longer.

It might help to avoid burnout if you take a pilot that starts slow and gets more tense toward the end. The campaign levels are always the same regardless of pilot, but there are only two or three that will likely pose any real threat to whatever death machine you will choose to take on a run that tough.