Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phrosphor posted:

I love that every time I die in this game I know I hosed up. It wasn't the game being cheap, I did something stupid and it resulted in my death.

I beg to differ. That one campaign mission that says you're only going up against scout bikes and then a bunch of super heavy spacer agravs fly out of the darkness and incinerate you was 100% YASD-tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yasds are the fault of the player. Hence the s

anyway you can see the drat things lurking if you mouse around, as any good brigador should

except they don't lurk, they sit on the ground until activated and because they are grey and its really dark they just look like buildings.

don't pretend like you saw them on your first run of that level. once you saw the recon lines lighting up that's when it hit you that you hosed up.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm seriously in love with this game and thanks to the kick rear end devs for being radical dudes. It was my GOTY and believe me when I say I'm seriously harsh when taking into account my GOTYs. The game reminds me of 90s DOS TECHNOLOGY! gems like Crusader. Seriously a great game and the fact that it runs on toasters is pure sex.

The Kraken or whatever that 30mm lead hose is called is one of the most satisfying guns I've ever used in a video game in a long time. Pure ecstasy to imagine how terrifying it must be for the foot soldiers when headlights appear through the fog, followed by a deafening roar of an array of combustion engines accompanied by the cracking of trees until the 4 story mobile gun tower that is the Treehouse's silhouette looms in the distance, with the ear shattering VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT and the loyalist armor support is just vapor on the trail of a sheet of depleted uranium.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but how was this game made? I was popping around the debug menu and noticed the rendering and started playing with the options and it made me reconsider something: Is this game made with sprites? I had always thought that, but the way the lighting works and the fact there's normal maps and that I can go straight to a diffuse render suddenly changed my view about the game. I know that gauss has posted the 3d models on his Twitter and what look like sprite sheets, but just the way you can strip off the rendering layers puzzled me. And, as well, how do you get the customization options to work, if they are sprites? Clever use of masks?

spacer magic

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

anthony patch posted:

It's all sprites, but we use two layers-- one for the visual component, and one that's purely giving depth information. This doubles the cost of every sprite, but allows us to do cool poo poo like proper depth sorting on sprites and volumetric lighting, even though the game is technically all 2D art. Which is another way of saying we did a shitload of work to make 2D assets look 3D :v:

the benefit is that with shadows disabled the game runs buttery smooth on extremely outdated toasters. also it looks cool as gently caress.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gauss posted:

from our ~secret~ internal lore document that's over two years old now:

Cyclolucidites, more commonly known as “lucies”, are a nomadic class of space pilots and engineers.

Though spacers’ whole culture reflects an obsession with the superiority of living in space, spacers cannot personally navigate faster than light travel, and more often than not do not crew their own spaceships. These tasks are all given over to cyclolucidites.
The related technology has its origin in the first colony ships that were lost while navigating the first faster than light drives. FTL drive tech outstripped what computers could handle, all early test ships were lost, from colliding into stars or space debris.
A conscious man, with some enhancement and computer assistance proved capable of guiding a FTL vessel, but here again a seemingly insurmountable obstacle: with the rest of the crew in cryosleep, the pilot was left to battle an exhausting mental task entirely alone, and without rest. Various drugs were developed to keep the pilot awake for weeks at a time necessary to complete a successful jump. Pilots were prone to a range of problems, from small lapses in judgment or increasingly delayed responses, to complete mental breakdown or complete unresponsiveness, especially after longer hauls.
The conscious mind was not meant to endure weeks of time awake, and shorter jumps with recuperation time for the pilot were both too fuel and time intensive to be deemed cost effective for more carriers, given the already enormous cost of FTL-equipped ships.
The only workable solution, briefly employed by the ultra rich, was to keep a stable of crack pilots life-supported in a chain harness, allowing pilots to spell each other in succession instantly. This was neither a popular prospect for pilots, nor economically sustainable.
But what if the pilot didn’t need to stay awake?
Sourcing from an unlikely program, probing the mind’s capabilities under REM sleep and other altered states came the first cyclolucidite: a man who lived in a permanent dream state, with sensory link to the outside world. As the dream state grows deeper over days, months, years, a cyclolucidite becomes increasingly withdrawn to every day concerns, but is capable of savant-like feats of calculation, of hyper concentration.
Over time not only did the “lucies” become the only way to pilot FTL-capable starships more than a cursory distance, they evolved into their own culture.

DEEPEST
:holy::holy::holy:
LORE

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Azran posted:

Which robot with normal shoes are we talking about here?

Tap-dancing Touro secret vehicle

no weapons spawn, only intense choreographed dance battles against mogs and other mechs.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
nah procgen levels even made out of prefab chunks still ends up being terrible 90% of the time in tactical games

see: both OpenXCOM and XCOM 2

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
xcom 2's maps sucked. whether you liked the game or not is personal preference, but you can't sit there and say that them being procedurally generated was a good idea. :colbert:

the only reason it wasn't as terrible as openxcom's improved map generation is due to changes in how the base game worked so you never ended up spending 20 minutes on a map hunting down the last enemy just to find out they were in a fenced off section in the corner of the map with no entries or exits.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
hand made > procedural all day every day.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have an issue where shadow occlusion culling is a tad too aggressive and there's a decent sized margin around my screen that shadows won't render on. it might be AO.

kind of annoying.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I deleted my review :hehe:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like i already read this question a ton of times and it's been clearly stated as "not gonna happen" and im just forgetting but coop is completely off the table at this point right?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
new loyalist mech where you are just the pilot running around with small arms like the loyalist infantry when?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cheats are for NEETs, it doesn't count unless its official :colbert:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
it is admittedly pretty fun though, i would unironically enjoy a joke vehicle choice like this.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Closed Casket Special, Footsoldier, MAX Difficulty pilot, No Alarms, All objectives

Run WHEN??

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
great leader pilot when

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gauss posted:

he can't be a traitor to his own regime. we really do need to put in an armbruster, though.

Maybe its his evil twin brother :unsmigghh:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe some years ago the twin brother deposed great leader and SNC is the real great leader's count of montie cristo esque scheme of revenge :holy:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ambaire posted:

Hah, yeah. If there was pvp MP, the Zeus would rule all.

I recently finished a campaign run using the fourth vehicle choice for all missions and it was a blast. Was easier than I thought it would be, too.

Otomo :colbert:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
what if it emitted small amounts of radiation wherever the bullets hit

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
buff skeleton pilot when

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i still hope we get a infantry vehicle with this relaunch

ive been playing off and on as one via debug using small class weapon and while its easily as hard as Hideous Destructor i dont think its actually impossible to finish a level like this.

i mean its probably impossible on a spacer level where they group up and you can't really ambush one thing at a time but im sure with some clever play even that could be overcome.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite heavy agrav is the spacer one who's name escapes me.

I like to load it up with dual banshees and active camo. On maps where the swarms get too much for the banshees to chew up without me sustaining heavy damage, I cloak, flank and hit em with a strafe run from behind which is usually enough to tilt a battle in my favor. :tutbutt:

only downside is it can get kinda difficult to get all the depots and all the orbital guns because of how much ammo you can carry and how much ammo you need and its not like you can hump em to death like substations and comms towers and stuff.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Buff Skeleton posted:

Oh, you wanna try something really hilarious, take out a Dorothy with a Duchess. You can navigate faster in reverse by firing the main cannon than you can by walking. I think the Dorothy is competing with the Lowmill for slowest playable vehicle, which is why I can't bring myself to use it for real. At least the Lowmill can mount dual heavies, so it kinda gets away with the snail's pace!

I think that was actually the first loadout I did with the dorothy lol

these days my favorite loadout is taking the Busker with the archie 40mm, pinch rocket with smoke and play as basically a super LAV-25. It's fun and versatile but kinda weak against spacers (if you don't do stealth so well), so it provides a nice contrast between the "ggeznore" corvid power fantasy levels to the "WHY ARE THERE SO MANY GOSH DANG MINDERS IN THAT ONE SPOT" masochistic spacer ones

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
challenge mode: loyalist infantry + precursor + closed casket special + two recoilless rifles + smoke

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
how soon until we get a really slow, really fragile power suit with a heavy mount? :unsmigghh:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Brigador: Warcrimes Enhanced
Brigador: Great Leader edition

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Brigador: Lorem Ipsum Dottore...

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Brigador: SNC Asset Liquidation Reloaded

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Waffle! posted:

Brigador: Welcome Back

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's not especially creative, but I'm so obsessed with LAV-style loadouts, like the Busker:Duchess/Pinch loadout I posted earlier in the thread. Prowler:Stutter||Belter/Disco is also a pretty fun loadout and reminds me of a SPAAG like the Shilka. Betushka:Confessor/Lockdown is next on my test list, and I'm curious as to just how viable it is against larger forces. I expect not very, unless I give up using smoke and use active camo for hit and run tactics on wide open maps. Will report viability soon.

I find it kinda ironic how with the Busker loadout I usually refuse to fire my 40mm at infantry, instead opting to use the rocket. This is because they both roughly have the same (low) amount of ammo, but the Pinch is useless against anything that isn't shields, except that infantry in the blast are still gibbed. I like the idea of in the future, IFVs used by the upper class warcrime-committers will exercise a TOW HE rocket mount as it's primary infantry-fighting weapon.

Will we be getting any new weapons in the relaunch? Will any of them be autocannons? :3:

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 21, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds more than fair. Technically one can already make "new" weapons utilizing the data editor to mess with weapon properties and mixing up the bullet types.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

"Gg-gotta gettt-t t-thhhe-e-e WAAAAARCRIIIIMES!!!!"

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Zeuses welded to a rotary that mirrors the fire rate of the Konig.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd want to see if the spacers are actually that much more combat effective than their counterparts.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
AI optimization on that scale is a bitch to implement, too.

The only effective way is to do it how ToadyOne did it for DF and that takes a stupid amount of effort and devtime to get working properly.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
RE: Infantry

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
dual bonesaws + EMP is fun when playing as infantry, but smoke is more practical because you can set up concealment anywhere which is crucial to survival.