Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Looking forward to playing the full release tonight!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Purchased the game on steam 10/22/2015, am I supposed to have a soundtrack?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the Koenig oh my goodness :3:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

haha this game owns

it really does. It rewards playing carefully, but everything is so viscerally satisfying.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gauss posted:

Metal Health is unquestionably the first real difficulty spike in the game. I recommend the Killdozer for that mission, Treehouse seems like it would be an easy way to beat it but it requires some fairly high level play. Regardless of your loadout, take it slow, don't aggro more enemies without dispatching the ones already alerted to your presence. unless you're playing the Rounder; the railgun is so loud you need to strike and then kite away while cloaked.

The Ploughman (chem launcher) does often deny you ammo pickup,, but it has incredible crowd control and area denial capabilities. Your secondary (Koenig iirc?) is very much like the GAU-8 it was modeled on. Your temptation will be to just hold down the button, but that's how you run out of ammo. Short controlled bursts! Most people seem to hold that button down and walk fire from target to target, wasting most of their shots. Get aimed up and then let off a peal.

Also, from about Metal Health on, constant, strategic use of your special/defensive is crucial.

I haven't beaten Metal Health yet, but Killdozer was my closest followed by Treehouse. The thing with Treehouse is that while the Ploughman denies you a lot of ammo pickups, both it and the Koenig are incredibly powerful, and you don't need to pick up much ammo at all. Be careful about boosting into trouble to try to pick up ammo / shields. Sometimes it's helpful, but often you'll run into an ambush. I've also found that starting off heading southwest is more productive than starting off heading southeast.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Psykmoe posted:

Plus with camo you can just walk up to the stationary turrets and kick them down, they can't depress to hit stuff at their base.

:aaa:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dyzzy posted:

Apparently the cause has been determined and a general fix is on the way.

I can confirm that I have the extras and I didn't do anything in particular.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cockiness gets me killed faster than anything.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Touro is really, really good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Want to echo that guy's metal health experience. Took it slow with the treehouse (how else), remembered to not fire the ploughman while in trees , and didn't panic when I ran low on ammo because the guns pack a punch. Also, don't worry if a couple of such quick guys get in on you. That's what the BOOM is for, don't spin the Koenig away from your real threats. Speaking of, though it's generally better to fire it in quick bursts, don't be afraid to burn an enemy captain or shield truck down, especially if you're in the trees or the ploughman is between shots.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just beat Joy Bus / Hell Ride with the Pompadour. Definitely took me the most tries yet.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Omg yes I just beat Knife Chase without taking more than two steps from the start :cool:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just requisitioned the Gardens, loving the description of 'maybe familiar' with the districts that make it up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hey whoever said the fatshoe rules: :agreed: pop an Abbott and a thunderclap and smoke on there and :pcgaming:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

elf help book posted:

What triggers the "Light Damage Bonus"? Just not taking many hits, or ending with good health or what?

I think it's ending with an intact hull, shield damage only?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

re: mortar chat:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=460649004#post460649004

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skyscraper posted:

Ah, cool, thanks!

Yeah, if you smoke up a corridor you can put out a serious amount of damage before anything is even a threat again, and you can extend that time by backing up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fish Noise posted:

Having just found Nobrean Rocket League and Corvid Minigolf, I look forward to discovering other little map details.

I enjoyed finding the YCS building

e- then blowing it up, of course

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Joust with a Mae Dois and a Disco is a fun little machine :yayclod:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just had to early-exit a run with the Pitbull and Chuffer both mounted. Really high damage output, but the chuffer really tends to murder ammo on the ground and the Pitbull chews ammo like nobody's business. Ammo management is difficult.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthony patch posted:

In other news, I wrote a thing. TL;DR is don't go into indie gamedev, because you're hosed.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bGLAQ/

:(

I wrote my first ever Steam review after reading this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthony patch posted:

Aaaahahahaha this is the same guy-- I was wondering when someone would figure out you can do this:
https://youtu.be/cMlGGf-3708

Captain Foo posted:

Omg yes I just beat Knife Chase without taking more than two steps from the start :cool:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Section Z posted:

Well that certainly makes me feel like a dumbass for killing all the Zed's sneaky style with the Fork first :shepface:

That too. Curse you people actually GOOD at this game :argh:

I'm not actually good at the game which is why I tried to do that in the first place :) I remember when weapons with ballistic trajectories were first added to the game in early access, and I spent a while blowing myself up firing mortars while retreating. Arcing weapons inherit quite a bit of momentum from your machine's movement...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Studio posted:

I want to speedrun the poo poo out of Brigador when I finally have time. This game is so good.

Also neat to see Champaign have something besides a university and Volition.

I'd watch this, because I'm honestly not very good at the game despite having 20+ hours in it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthony patch posted:

If we did something like this it would be persistent units or bust.

oh man I think I'd like this even more than Brigador itself

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

victrix posted:

A tactics game with this art style and customizable pilots and management of your vehicle fleet

:fap:

i think you mean :flashfap:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I played 20 hours of brigador when there were only inner and outer city and no weapon descriptions, and have played about 4 hours since the game was actually released and I'm still happy with my purchase

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glenn Quebec posted:

gently caress. This is the one. Brigador Front Mission style.

extremely this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wait a sec, is the Mae Dois a "Ma Duece", as in M2 Browning machine gun? I just got the name and the description about it predating space travel. That's a nice touch.

yes, yes it is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthony patch posted:

The whole idea of threat assessment and proper allocation of force is something I've thought about a lot. I mean a lot. I love X-com, but the original with having crews of 12+ per mission I think is too much for a lot of people, while with nu-xcom the problem is that you have to keep your best guys alive and in continual use or else you're hosed. So if I were to do something in that wheelhouse then it would be vehicle/powersuit based and everything has maintenance downtime. You want to bring that tower tank as support on a raid? Go on ahead, but it's gonna need 200 man-hours of maintenance even if no one shoots at it. Anything with a lot of hardware always has a larger inventory than gets fielded at any single moment so that you can rotate through. That way from a gameplay standpoint you get a natural rotation of crews and equipment from mission to mission.

I LIKE THE SOUND OF THIS

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

verbal enema posted:

why do mechs sometimes have backwards legs i mean not like just in this game i mean in general

Because why not

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

verbal enema posted:

why do mechs sometimes have backwards legs i mean not like just in this game i mean in general

e: omg is there any way we could get the yellowcoats to be able to hang on our vehicle. like oh sometimes i swear a dude will run up just to see if youre gonna blast him if i crouch or w/e he should hop on cuz thatd be sick he could just hang out and when i complete the mission he'd wave a flag oh man thats such a good idea do it

also tell me this doesn't look badass, so that's why

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SelenicMartian posted:

Hello, Treehouse 0.1

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Segmentation Fault posted:

Projectiles inherit velocity. Try it with mortars.

AFAIK lasers don't.

Whichever level has all the big faces and you have to take out a target at the rear can be just cheesed by flinging a mortar at it, I think one of my posts much earlier in the thread describes it better :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just picked up and played this game again for the first time in a while, and the Banshee is fantaaaaasticcccccc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

rrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Efi, vex, banshee, balão, AK

Fun on a bun (I'm not very good)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gauss posted:

Yes, thanks, and to everyone else who has left positive reviews. We're not there yet but if we can get to 500 reviews I'm pretty sure we'll have clinched the coveted "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating. Every little bit helps.

Thanks, we're happy that the Portuguese doesn't come off as a false note. Identifying with Portuguese is one of those things that happened with working on the setting even prior to working on Brigador (see my prior posts in this thread). Most of it stems from an interest in both South American history, colonial history, and it being something of a mood setter for the same when you play the game.
It hasn't been drawn out explicitly, but I like that it suggests that this colony planet was founded by Portugal, or Brazilians, or some of all the above, and that to me gives an immediately more interesting coloration/flavor to the proceedings than "generic Americans got here / space nazis got here / its space americans vs space nazis again".

Volta was one of the first place names I decided upon that felt right. A lot of the place names in the game are almost all suggestive or borrowed from colonial countries--Afrikaans shows up in a few places for example.
Nueva Este was an early placeholder name for the planet, then I started playing with words in Portuguese instead and I thought they had a great ring to them. Novo Solo and then Solo Nobre came shortly thereafter, and to me they sound like real places. Real place names always have some burden of history upon them, and picking just what kind of historic arc, alternative or otherwise, we were suggesting with our setting was important.

I also wanted to reflect the kind of messy heterogeneity of real people and places, as well as the names of guns and vehicles. So there's no one scheme that governs everything, which to me gets too cute, too clean by half. For example, all mechs having animal names, etc. There can be sub-schemes and patterns (like nobility/clergy names for cannons), but no rigid schemes, since it's rare that things end up like that in real life.
Part of it also came from a desire that because the game does not really feature characters insofar as sort of little bio sketches for characters that serve more as avatars, having characters that appealed to a wide variety of people without pandering to them seemed a worthy goal. I watched a girl stream the game and she picked one of the campaign characters and said "hey, she looks like me." in this really happy voice, and that was a really wonderful moment.
Also because doing the portraits I got to try and explore a lot of different amazing features, skin tones, age ranges. That was fun and I think we ended up with a fun range of characters, minimally developed though they are.

So the game has a lot of Portuguese mostly because there's a lot of interesting history there to suggest, though lightly, and that in turn informs the overall tone of the game, and it's not a flavor I think you see a lot in games. If Spanish/Portuguese is invoked in games, it tends to go pretty cartoonishly over the top with like a Meso-American theme on the game, and that to me is pretty tiring.

I love your openness and clear thoughtfulness behind your game, it's what keeps me firing it up again after putting it down for a long time, which doesn't happen with all that many games. Incidentally, I had gone to write a review, and found that I already had! So good job there too :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Twin Duchess thanks this is really fun

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kai Tave posted:

Enjoying the vibrations, huh?

Efi~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I know somewhere up thread someone has posted high-level playthroughs, anyone have those handy?