Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I've been working through the campaign after randomly hearing about this game on twitter during the steam sale and started "inch of dust." Maybe i'm just a Bad but that was the point for me where the game suddenly went from funny and fun but easy to tricky and requiring some cunning. I actually beat it first with the troubadour; broodmare I felt was too big a target and took me a few tries. Still haven't finished it with the party van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I feel like there's a way to make the party van shine and i just can't find the balance, but eh.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Doing Joy Bus / Hell Ride with the fork on 100 speed was the most fun experience i've had in this game

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Man D4 with johnny is killing me. I thought D3 was pretty fun by comparison, 2 of the 3 captains can be snuck up on if you are patient. The ones in the far left and right of the map have approaches through walls that you can grind down, then just double carlos the big tank in the rear end and drop smoke at your feet so you can stomp the bikes to death. The one at the bottom is tougher but you can lure him into the exploding buildings without getting his shields up.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hmm, thanks, learned quite a bit about pulling with impact sounds just from watching the first bit of that video. I had previously been dealing with the two early treehouses by punching through the alarm gate at the bottom right and getting through the opening under smoke, then killing stuff in a slow loop until i could get them from behind. Your way at least makes runs much, much faster.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Did it, thanks for the tips guys. Everything on full speed.

Edit: Devs, this is my favorite game since the witcher 3. Easily the best game i've played all year, and totally under the radar. I hope it does well enough to keep you guys in business, your next title is an instant back/buy for me whatever it happens to be.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 28, 2017

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i would pay $10-$20 for a Great Leader's Greatest Hits DLC campaign / level pack

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's good commute fodder once you get past how the narrator is angrily growling everything. That even sorta grew on me.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
what is that anus on her neck?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

you're probably right but the thing on her neck obliterates the underlying tattoos where the bagel head thing should just kind of... inflate them

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
How are you guys making varlet runs work? I've tried double Carlos sniper builds, temblor orbital gun rush builds, black hand assassin builds. Just can't seem to crack it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Double donk + a sick subwoofer clowned on a level full of corvids but I ran into some loyalist mechs with galinhas on the second stage who hosed me up before I could get out of the open

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I actually bought this on steam before realizing it was in that bundle and I already had it. No regrets

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
reiterating that i would pay for a premium DLC about Great Leader establishing the NEP

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Mantis with two galinhas has been my favorite recently although the lack of burst damage can become a problem.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Improbable Lobster posted:

AKP, my fellow Mantis friend

I'll give it a shot the next time i do one of those runs. I'd been trying to use camo to clear space when i needed it but the mantis is so fast the camo doesn't really add much. I've been going through the achievement custom runs with precursor and there are some that are really, really fun - the nickel with 2x crambo and smoke was stupid effective.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The way the game controls is, from a flavor perspective, loving perfect.

Edit: I did an experiment and I am substantially worse at this game with the speed turned down. I can't time anything correctly and keep missing shots, running into things, etc.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 21, 2017

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
People play tanks and mechs on absolute? I put agravs on absolute because the facing changing with the cursor movement fucks me up with relative on, but tanks and mechs are all relative all the time.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
As far as I can tell, the real enemy on closed casket special is my own inattention. I think I just need to get ok with only playing a few stages at a time and just letting it sit paused the rest of the time.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
anybody managed to do Steady Ed with precursor?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It’s one of the spacer ball tread tanks, hadhrat maybe? I don’t have a reference handy to look

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Well, i finished a closed casket special run with precursor (lowmil, chieftain/koenig/smoke). The more i play the more i'm convinced that smoke is the best pick for big upgunned monster units. Also, the achievement didn't flag and I hosed up my screenshot somehow :(

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Section Z posted:

This but MFV is on foot and just as effective.

Oh look, it's time for more crushing jealousy :negative:

Did you use ye olde "Hide inside the smoke cloud" mostly, or did you use it more often as a meet them midway line of sight break so when they reach/pass the smoke they are still at a nice safe distance to blow them up?

My baby's first only first win through nonlinear solo nobre with Precursor James, that was a big deal for getting more mileage out of my odd Archie/Kraken combo on the broodmare. Popping smoke just at archie's max range rather than sitting in it.

I did both of those things, also used it as a pull (it makes relatively little noise but it attracts attention by LOS in a certain range) and, my favorite, i would occasionally use the nose of the tank to poke a hole in some barrier without attracting attention, then back off, fire a shot through the hole to pull and fill the hole in the barrier with smoke, then just light up everything that rushes in to check it out.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Were you on the staging branch?

I never did anything specific to enable it so I don’t think so.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Obviously a coop mode would split the payout between surviving brigadors. Emphasis on surviving. Friendly fire optional in the sense that it is optional to shoot at your buddy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is true psychogamer working now? I’ve been dreaming of doing the whole run in a fork. Also I could be just being lazy but I kind of think finishing a closed casket special should trigger the achievements for full linear solo nobre and campaign run also

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Sledger/Otomo/Pinch/Smoke is sickeningly effective, i think it might end up being my first small vehicle win on precursor closed casket.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I don’t have the patience to make a black hand run work on long map sets. It’s fun for a two or three map run but pure stealth is too frustrating over long runs for me.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
They have something, at least, that they can pay spacer mercs with which implies they’re fairly technically advanced if not quite on the same level

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I like the galinha too but I think it lacks the oomph to keep up on max difficulty runs

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Honestly i haven’t had a ton of success with aux/aux loadouts although i was playing a chook/preacher/preacher smoke earlier which was sort of promising. It’s the johnny setup from the campaign, just turned up a notch. If you are careful you can really clean up with it but you have basically no ability to recover if you slip.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TheBlandName posted:

I've cleared an operation as the Precursor on a Varlet.

So have I, gutterball fork rules

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i bet 32 bonesaws would be pretty OP, actually.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Just made a serious run at a two-gutterball fork on max difficulty closed casket. I think it's doable, and it's a lot of fun. I ate it to a suicide blimp that I just whiffed on for some reason, but otherwise did 7 maps without taking any hull damage.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I guess i didn’t give aux a fair shake before this whole discussion but after playing with them a lot today I take it all back. There is a ton of variety and functionality packed into it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I just ran into a frustrating thing about halfway through a closed casket run - i finished a map, clicked to start the next one and it loaded the first map in the list again with $0 in damage listed. The freelance run menu flashed for a split second before the map loaded so I assume I must have accidentally hit resign although i have no idea how.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Double belter canavan is the smoothest, easiest run i’ve ever made though in case anybody is looking for something to try. It’s easy to play well, and the overcharged shield is so big it can really take some punishment. I had some ludicrously large, dangerous pulls that I came out of without ever taking hull damage.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Does choice of pilot have any effect on the campaign run map set?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I’ve been trying rope kid / mae dois/ pinch / akp recently, it’s fun but lacks punch against big targets and I’ve gotten wiped by clusters of treehouses etc late in the campaign list a few times now. I might try to switch it up, though I really like the flexibility the Mae dois gives against small fast targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Steady ed has continued to elude me but I’m admittedly not good with the artillery weapons that aren’t gutterball. Congrats