Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

This is a murder mystery CYOA set in the world of Fallout 4. With the use of mods, in-game settlement tools and some photoshop witchcraft, I've prepared a murder mystery for you guys to solve. The thread will be collectively attempting to help the eccentric Detective Flaming to find the truth behind a string of bizarre murders. Expect a lot of locked-room mysteries, mustaches and strange alibis.

Basic idea is after an update the thread decides how Detective Flamingo will approach the case -- should he question a witness or go investigate a difference? Should he try to open a lock very carefully or shoot it open with a minigun? That kind of decision!

It's probably worth noting that as you meet new characters I'll be updating this first post to help you keep track of everyone.

One more thing worth mentioning is that I've employed an additional hint system to this game -- you don't need to use this in any way to solve the game, but it's helpful to cut down on a couple 'lets question this detail over the course of several updates to make sure it's the way we think it is' issues. Basically, anything stated in bold is absolutely true. For example, if you think there's a chance character X faked his death for some reason but you note something written as He has not faked his death you can assume that's a hint telling you not to worry about it and look elsewhere to solve the crime.

Well, that's really about it. I've put some effort into making this a fun thing for everyone, but in the end it is just a silly murder mystery thing. Hope you guys can have some fun with it because I certainly had a lot of fun planning it! And so, to murder!

The story has just started. In the most recent(and only) update, Detective Flamingo was challenged by a masked man to solve the mysterious murder of an eccentric settlement leader. He has arrived at the settlement and met a couple unique individuals so far.

Masked Man
Sex: ???

The Masked Man broke into Flamingo's house and challenged him to solve a murder mystery. We know nothing about this man other than his strange ability to break into Flamingo's house unnoticed. His motives or involvement in the settlement case are currently unknown.

Detective Flamingo
Sex: Male

This would be me. The greatest detective in the wasteland...not that it's a hard title to claim.

Oswald Patterson

Our supposed 'client.' He is the one the Masked Man told us to talk to, so it is perhaps wise to assume he knows something about him at least. Was standing guard at the night of the murder.

Lara Patterson
Sex: Female

Described to us as the sort of woman who always did whatever the hell she damned pleased. We haven't met her yet. Is presumably married to Oswald given the name.

Warden:

Somewhat strange fellow who seems to dislike Dr. Ryder. Apparently loves Lara Patterson. Claims to have been asleep during murder. Absolutely hates guns.

'Young Jane'
Sex: Female?

We only heard her mentioned in passing so far--presumably young, she was one of the people who first saw the body.

'Old Lady Jenkins'
Sex: Female

Not actually old. I imagine the nickname comes from her hair. Not as fearful of the ghost as everyone else...but I almost wish she was.

Expanded Note

[b]
Case 1 - Update #1
Case 1 - Update #2
Case 1 - Update #3
Case 1 - Update #4
Case 1 - Update #5
Case 1 - Update #6
Case 1 - Update # 7
Case 1 - Update # 8

Case 1 - Trial #1
Case 1 - Trial #2

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Maybe you've heard of Nick Valentine. Real harboiled type, that guy—he's always going on about how he's not doing anything complicated. He just plays his role in the simple art of murder, he says. Makes the world a better place because that's just who he is. He tries to help his clients find either the ones they are looking for...or some sort of closure.

I'm not that sort of detective.

I'm less about fedoras and more about deerstalkers. I'm the kind of guy who won't care about helping you if your problem isn't interesting enough. I'm the detective who has a love for puzzles, a cocky grin, the indecipherable accent and the funny hair. I'm not a hero, I'm a sportsman—and murder just happens to be the greatest game in the world.

I'm going to make this simple for you—Nick Valentine is the guy you call when something terrible happens and the only thing you can say is "Someone, help!"

I'm the guy you call when something terrible happens and all you can say is "…the flyin' gently caress happened here?"

My name is Detective Flamingo[WEBM]

And although I say that...sometimes, just sometimes, when I'm really lucky...I get to be the one who doesn't understand anything.

"I've got a case that might suit your tastes, Detective."
"I don't doubt you."
"Really? My apologies, I took you for more of a skeptical individual. I assumed you wouldn't just take word of anyone who sits beside you in the bar."
"I wouldn't. But it's different when someone approaches me in my private bar...in my private room...that I personally locked."

"Once somebody breaks into my home without me noticing and decides to sit down for a drink instead of shooting me...well, I tend to assume that person has got something interesting to say."

"Your cooperation is much appreciated, Mr. Detective. I won't waste your time."
"I want you to kill a ghost."
"..."

"I've left the details of the case, including your transportation, inside your safe."
"And what are you going to do to convince me that this is a case worth investigating?"
"Not a darn thing, Mr. Flamingo."
"Then why should I investigate a case per the request of a masked man who broke into my house?"
"You absolutely shouldn't. It would be a terrible decision, quite frankly."
"But let's not pretend for even a second that it's not what you are going to do."

It's funny. Diamond City's mayor, the NCR, even the famous Mr. House...I've refused their requests more times than I can count. But the guy who broke inside my home?

I never even thought of refusing this case.

The masked man's letter didn't give me much to go on...but it was enough.The entrance I stood in front of was the only entrance to what he affectionately referred to as the 'Murder Tower Settlement.' He said that there was no entrance to the Settlement other than this door.

Settlement: Aerial View[WEBM]

The settlement, on the inside, was quite simple as well...though its setup was admittedly on the strange side of things.

Most of its residents lived in the first half of the settlement, the one you'd be in once going through the settlement's lone door to the outside.

Food, water, electricity...they were all locked in a different part of the settlement, together with the settlement's leader. Marcus Overson, self-proclaimed Overseer of the settlement. Either he went crazy and thought he was commanding a vault, or he just had some weird sense of humor. He was the one who took care of food, water and electricity of the community. He decided how much each person got...and for what price. He lived inside a tower, supposedly to 'keep watch' on the outside...but also the inside, most likely.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, he is the victim of this case. The 25 stab wounds to his body suggest much to me, but I dare not voice my thoughts before investigating the matter further. All I'm quite confident stating at this point is that Marcus Overson is very much dead. He did not disguise himself as someone else nor did he fake his death. This case is a straight up, no pulled punches murder mystery.

What is perhaps surprising, however, is this....

The gate, which could only be locked from the inside, was locked at the time of his death. Which makes this...quite a special case. According to the Masked Man's files, the residents are less puzzled and more afraid of this—they seem afraid that this Overson fellow was killed by a vengeful ghost of some sort.

'I want you to kill a ghost' huh..I think I understand what the Masked Man was on about now.

As soon as you get there, look for your...client, Oswald Patterson. He will explain the murder for you.

That's what he wants me to do...but there's no reason I should do what he wants. I'll never have a single person telling me what to do.

Which is why I'll only allow myself to be controlled by those lovely voices inside my head. Tell me then, voices, what should I do?

VOTING INSTRUCTIONS posted:

Whichever option has the most votes will advance the plot. Should you want to vote for "D) Other" feel free to try to convince your fellow thread-followers to go for the same option as you.
Feel free to go as balls-to the-wall with D) as you want. If you, as a thread, collectively decide to murder some random dude or shoot a wall with a cannon by all means go nuts. At the same time, if you make the case completely unsolvable...well, I can't help you there. So tread carefully...thread.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Clearly the murderer entered build mode, moved the wall out of the way, went inside, and then put the wall back. Case Closed :colbert:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Known facts:

He's dead, Jim.
There is only one entry to both the settlement at large and the Overseer's portion.
Overseer's gate locked from the inside.
25 stab wounds. (Not bolded. Investigate?)

Observations:
Five houses, each capable of housing at least two residents.
Some sort of small mammal. Not food. (Investigate.)
No house has a very good line of sight with either gate.
Very clean. Too clean. (Investigate.)

Speculation:
The murder weapon deals low damage.
The murderer climbed over what looks like a lower portion of wall.

Not enough information.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Looks easy enough to exit the secure section of hte compound, just not to enter it. The Overseer knew the murderer well enough to allow that person in.

Or the same guy who broke in to talk to us broke in to murder the dude.

Unreliable eyewitness statements can wait. Let's get some objective facts first.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Just for reference I'll probably wait for like a couple more votes before I post an update. Not sure on the exact number though.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Clearly the murderer entered build mode, moved the wall out of the way, went inside, and then put the wall back. Case Closed :colbert:

Naah that's impossible, the only one who can access build mode is the leader of the settlement, who is the victim here. He couldn't have done that after being killed!

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Far too much logic being expressed by the other crazy voices in this guy's head so far.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Question - how creative are we allowed to get with the 'Other' choices?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

KamikazePotato posted:

Question - how creative are we allowed to get with the 'Other' choices?

Basically, go nuts. No hard restrictions on it, but unless it wins the majority vote it won't happen.

(Also right now we're tied with one vote per choice, so next one is probably gonna decide the detective's action)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Did somebody say comedy option?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

quote:

Winning option:

"Detective...I've been waiting for you. I'm your client, Oswald. Please, allow me to—"
"Just so we are clear, I'm here to solve a murder. This doesn't mean I need to care about you. Screw your stupid hat, I'm going to interview someone else."

WEBM Mirror

"I—um—you kind of have to because—I'm your client."
"And I'm Detective Flamingo. Good day."
Hmm...everyone seems to be locked inside their houses. The murder probably shook them up a bit. But would you look at that!

"I'm sorry, but I don't want to talk to you."
"I'm sorry, but you left your door unlocked."
"...I don't have a door."
"I don't think that's my fault, really."

"Do you have any tea, good sir?"
"I got a gun, you psycho."
"Yes. I can see that. I don't see what that has to do with tea, though."
"...If I answer your questions, will you please leave my hou—?"

"—the gently caress did that thing come from?"

"This is my assistant, Dr. Ryder. Please pay no attention to him. I bring him everywhere. Makes traveling quite a hassle."
"…Please. Ask anything you want. My name...my name is Warden."

"And stop drinking my alcohol. Like, now. Please."
"Tell me about the murder. What do you know?"
"You better believe that Overson deserved to die...it's not like this surprises me much. He was gonna die sooner or later. I mean...the Abernathy ghost had to get him eventually, you know?"
"One step at a time. Tell me everything you know about the murder."
"Well...first things first...you know that entrance you were at? Oswald was guarding it the entire night. It was his turn."
"Hang on. How do you know he was there the entire night?"
"Because of our security system."
"...Security system?"
"There's a pressure plate right beside the door."

"Ah...I recall seeing something like that when I walked in."

"As long as someone is standing on it, the door remains locked. Take a step off of it and it opens."
"That doesn't tell me about how you'd know he didn't move the whole night."
"The door is not the only thing the switch is connected to. See that radio over my bed?"

"If nobody is standing on top of the pressure plate, the switch for our alarm radios turns on. If those radios turned on, we'd definitely have woken up."
"Couldn't he have put some kind of heavy object in his place and walked away?"
"You're a suspicious sort, you know that?"

"...And I mean that in more than one way."
"Anyhow...no, the way the pressure plate is constructed, if you suddenly add or subtract a lot of weight, the alarm will go off. It would stop once somebody else got on it, but the way the settings work the electricity in those things would still be going for...about 5 minutes?"
"Hmm...interesting."

PRESSURE PLATE ADDED TO EVIDENCE

"Anyway...the alarm didn't go off until after Overson had died."
"And how do you know that?"
"I was getting to that. Overson was a paranoid man, if you couldn't tell from the boxed in settlement. Not that I can blame him considering the ghost."
"See that second radio? He set it up as a 'Dead Man's Switch' of sorts. Soon as his heartbeat stopped, that radio over there activated."

"Think it was 'posed to scare people here, yeah? Old lunatic knew he wasn't popular. Come here, kill me and everyone will catch you! Think that's what the alarm was meant for. Not that it was worth anything in the end. You can't catch a ghost."
We'll see about that.
"Hold on, this Dead Man's Switch sounds pretty complicated. Where on earth did he find th technology for that?"
"The...Institute maybe? Look, I don't know. I never asked. Never would have talked to that guy if this place here wasn't so...safe. All I can tell you is that The Dead Man's Switch was accurate. Moment we heard it, at 2:12 AM, Overson was dead."
"Hmm..."

Dead Man's Switch Added to evidence!

"Anyway...once we heard the alarm we rushed to the gate. We couldn't believe it had really happened. We thought maybe the device malfunctioned or something. I mean, he was one of those bastards you thought would outlive everyone you loved, you know?"
"Oswald broke the lock to Overson's area of the settlement and rushed in. I guarantee you that the lock was intact and locked from the inside until that time. Young Jane went with him, as well as his wife. By the time they got there...well. You and I can imagine what they saw."
So as to be fair to the player, I will restate—Overson was already dead before Oswald, his wife and Jane entered the room.
"We all started to panic when the girls told us what happened...Oswald came down a couple minutes later, face paler than the damned corpse he just saw. 'He was stabbed. Twenty five times. I...counted.'"
"And at that point...was that when you guys realized it? That nobody could have stabbed him? Hence the ghost?"
"Yeah."
That's probably all he can tell me about the crime...what should I do next, Dr. Ryder? You hear the voices better than I do when we are this far away from Diamond City.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 6, 2016

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Hope you don't mind but I posted your thread in the CYOA master post in The Game Room. Hopefully you'll get a little more traffic this way

Also:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Drink all of the alcohol in the settlement.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, I really want to take you up on the shoot a cannon at a wall idea but we've got a case to solve

http://lpix.org/2470585/Option1.png

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Look, a detective has to have a method. They have to have a process. Something meditative. Something to distract their conscious mind while the genius subconscious does its work. For Sherlock Holmes it was the violin (and drugs); for Nero Wolfe it was food; for Mannix it was getting the crap beat out of him; for Dirk Gently it was being broke and British and also a character in a Douglas Adams book which tends to have a lot of distracting weirdness just on general principles.

What I'm saying here is:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Also, it's not an option, but something's amiss here. How did Warden know that the dead man's switch was set off at exactly 2:12 AM?

Just seems suspicious, is all.

Oh, and one more thing: How could Warden have noticed that there were 25 stab wounds on Overson's body? He said that he "... counted", but he didn't say when he counted them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Oh, and one more thing: How could Warden have noticed that there were 25 stab wounds on Overson's body? He said that he "... counted", but he didn't say when he counted them.
He seems to be quoting what Oswald said to him at that point, actually.

Also,

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Look, a detective has to have a method. They have to have a process. Something meditative. Something to distract their conscious mind while the genius subconscious does its work. For Sherlock Holmes it was the violin (and drugs); for Nero Wolfe it was food; for Mannix it was getting the crap beat out of him; for Dirk Gently it was being broke and British and also a character in a Douglas Adams book which tends to have a lot of distracting weirdness just on general principles.

What I'm saying here is:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is a great LP so far

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I bet we were the murderer all along. Lets hope we don't solve this one.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The walls don't look too hard to scale. All anyone would need is a grappling hook or a tall enough ladder, and if we can find one it would be a good place to start finding suspects.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

What I'm saying here is:

I endorse this plan.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Let's go with something less crazy

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012

What I'm saying here is:

Quoting for the Dirk Gently vote. This is a brilliant idea. To catch a ghost, we need to think holistically.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

What I'm saying here is:

This makes perfect and logical sense and it is an excellent idea besides.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I get what you're going for with the bold=absolute truth thing, avoiding dead ends, stopping chatter and pointless theories before people get invested in (and eventually disappointed by) them, but it also takes a bit of the wind out of the sails of the mystery I think. For example, there's no such thing as an unreliable narrator now, or if there is, it'll be obvious because it's the one definitive statement not bolded. I'm probably exaggerating, and it's your LP and Imma read it anyway because it looks awesome, but that's my take on it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

What I'm saying here is:

This man knows how to solve a murder.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

What I'm saying here is:

Can't argue with this.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The walls don't look too hard to scale. All anyone would need is a grappling hook or a tall enough ladder, and if we can find one it would be a good place to start finding suspects.

Gonna throw my hat in with this one. In the interest of not making the murder unsolveable, I'm going to limit myself to the silly option once every 2-3 updates.

That polish is very tempting, though...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
By the way, for anyone concerned about the potential canonicity of Dr. Ryder, the pink lawn flamingo was invented in Leominster, MA, ~50 miles from the game's setting of Boston (and, incidentally, the home of the man later known as Johnny Appleseed). Ryder's practically a local, is what I'm saying here.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So how about this: It really was a ghost.

Now let's go to the pub.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

7 Votes

“I’ve told you everything you wanted to know. Can you leave my house now?”
“Not yet.”
“What on heavens do you want from me? I’ve answered your questions, what else could you possibly want?”
“Think of poor Dr. Ryder, won't you?”
“…Excuse me?”
“It was a tough trip from Diamond City to this settlement. Poor Dr. Ryder is all kinds of dirty right now, we need to take care of him!”
“We—what?”
“I need access to your cleaning supplies.”
“You’re going to leave. You can't just loving stay here cleaning your flamingo. Like that just sounds wrong and I don't even know why.
I have a gun, you’ve not right to—“

Warden didn’t respond to me immediately. I would have seen the gears in his little head turning had I cared enough to turn my eyes to him, but Dr. Ryder was of the utmost importance at the moment.

I heard a dramatic sigh—the loud kind one gives more to signal surrender than to express tiredness—and waited for him to go on. The man did not disappoint me.

“How did you know it wasn’t loaded?”
“Because I’ve been watching your finger pull on that trigger for a while now. You’d have shot me more than once if that thing was actually loaded.”
“Would…would I? I didn’t pull the trigger all the way I just…played with it.”

“I don’t really like to use guns, you know? It’s the main reason I came here. Overson’s sales pitch was a safe community protected by our electrified walls instead of guns.”
“I can appreciate the sentiment."
I can also wonder how you managed to live in the wasteland without ever touching a gun...this is a man with a story behind him.
“But few weeks ago, Overson told us we all had to start keeping weapons in our houses. He said he was gonna kick out anyone who didn’t have at least a couple different weapons here.”
“But you don’t bother keep your gun loaded?”
“I know it’s childish. It’s just…my little way of rebelling, I suppose. Overson was always paranoid but he’d been going too far lately. Or not enough, I guess, considering what happened to him.”

I nodded absent mindedly, pouring purified water onto Dr. Ryder so as to wash him. The poor guy was starting to get clean, but it wasn’t enough—the dirt was like an infection. I needed medical supplies to properly get the rust off him.

“I see. Do you have medical supplies?”

“Medical supplies? I…sure. We share those around here, not like I got any reason to hold on to them. Besides, Overson always told us to keep them from outsiders…so I kind of feel like giving you some. You know, as a ‘screw you’ to him.”

“Just a little bit more, okay Dr. Ryder? You’ll be clean in no time…Mr. Warden, would you say this is one more little act of rebellion, perhaps?”

After the nearly ritualistic course every individual who has lived by himself utters while searching for something they swear they know where it is, Warden brought about a bag of medical supplies and tossed them across my lap. Quickly, I set out to work on Dr. Ryder.

“Yeah. Maybe so.”
“Is rebelling against Overson common thing here?”
“No…not really. Everyone here was either too scared of Overson or just plain didn’t give a poo poo. Except for Lara Patterson, of course. God bless that one…never scared of anything, you know? Not once. Always just did what she wanted and paid the price later without complaining.”
“I see. From the way you describe her, she certainly sounds like an interesting woman."

“You son of a bitch.”

Strangely, in spite of his insistence to shake his empty gun at my direction, the man seem to relax.

“Look, I’ve never done anything, she’s married to that doofus and—look. I’d appreciate if we could move from this topic.”
“As you wish. I think we learned plenty, didn't we Dr. Ryder? I believe you are now shiny enough to reflect the truth of this case."

quote:

[New Option]

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

theshim posted:

He seems to be quoting what Oswald said to him at that point, actually.

Yeah, I can clarify this point since that's on me for not being clear enough--he was quoting Oswald at that point.

Scaramouche posted:

I get what you're going for with the bold=absolute truth thing, avoiding dead ends, stopping chatter and pointless theories before people get invested in (and eventually disappointed by) them, but it also takes a bit of the wind out of the sails of the mystery I think. For example, there's no such thing as an unreliable narrator now, or if there is, it'll be obvious because it's the one definitive statement not bolded. I'm probably exaggerating, and it's your LP and Imma read it anyway because it looks awesome, but that's my take on it.

Warning: murder mystery nerd :words: incoming.

I think it's definitely something to be used in moderation, but to be honest so far I've stuck to only using bold to define things that I would otherwise spend paragraphs affirming many ways in which they were convincing. It's definitely something I need to keep an eye out for so I don't abuse it too much, but I think considering the size of the updates it's not the worst thing for me to sneak in an extra hint or two once in a while so long as I don't go overboard with it.

While I see where you're coming from, I think that "absolute declarations" are far from outside the norm in murder mysteries. For example, in the famous Three Coffins by John Dickson Carr, arguably the greatest locked-room mystery novel of all time, the book starts like this:

quote:

To the murder of Professor Grimaud, and later the equally incredible crime in Cagliostro Street, many fantastic terms could be applied -- with reason. Those of Dr. Fell's friends who like impossible situations will not find in his case book any puzzle more baffling or more terrifying. Thus: two murders were committed, in such fashion that the murderer must not only have been invisible, but lighter than air. According to the evidence, this person killed his first victim and literally disappeared. Again according to the evidence, he killed his second victim in the middle of an empty street, with watchers at either side; yet not a soul saw him, and no footprint appeared in the snow.

Naturally, Superintendent Hadlley never for a moment believed in goblins or wizardry. And he was quite right -- unless you believe in a magic that will be explained naturally in this narrative at the proper time. But several people began to wonder whether the figure which stalked through this case might not be a hollow shell. They began to wonder whether, if you took away the cap and black coat and the child's false-face, you might not reveal nothing inside, like a man in a certain famous romance by Mr. H. G. Wells. The figure was grisly enough, anyhow.

The worlds "according to the evidence" have been used. We must be very careful about the evidence when it is not given at first-hand. And in this case the reader must be told at the outset, to avoid useless confusion, on whose evidence he can absolutely rely. That is to say, it must be assumed that somebody is telling the truth -- else there is no legitimate mystery, and, in fact, no story at all.

Therefore it must be stated that Mr. Stuart Mills at Professor Grimaud's house was not lying, was omitting or adding anything, but telling the whole business exactly as he saw it in every case. Also it must be stated that the three independent witness of Cagliostro Street (Messrs. Short and Blackwin, and Police-constable Withers) were telling the exact truth.

John Dickson Carr was fond of using ultimate declarations to throw down the gauntlet, so to speak. He kind of made it so that the reader knew that at the end of the day there would be an explanation that fit the events he was describing to them without a copout of "but X was mistaken." It was used in many of his novels as a way to basically explain exactly what he was trying to do and what kind of story he was going to tell. In those books, I think his "ultimate truth" declarations served to make the mystery even deeper rather than undermine it though. An example other people in this thread might be more familiar with since it wasn't published like 60 or so years ago is the visual novel series Umineko which plays with the absolute truth concept too - though Carr is still the master of it if you ask me.

I mean to be fair JDC was basically the lord of all locked-room mysteries so just because he can pull that off there's no guarantee that I can do it too though haha. So it's definitely something I'll try to be careful about yeah.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
http://lpix.org/2470586/Option10.png

Did he ever give reasons for his decisions. The need to keep guns, to keep things under his control, etc?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Always take the new option.

Also I appreciate that you made the joke option actually useful :3:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Interesting updates. Patterson sounds like a person of interest, but a person who does what she wants anyway is unlikely to build up the rage it takes to surmount an impossible obstacle and stab a guy 25 times. However, I'm still going to say

The fence being electrified does remove several methods of climbing the wall, but you can still accomplish it with a wooden ladder, a heavy wool blanket or a rubber mat, and rubber gloves. Or possibly some kind of catapult. Getting the ladder over to the other side would be noisy but possible, or the murderer could have climbed to the top of the tower and used the power line cable to zip back, climb down, and remove the evidence.

Of course, this also assumes there's a part of the internal wall that's out of sight and hearing of the guard station, or a part of the external wall that's low enough for a wooden ladder, but that's why we're looking around everywhere.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just had a thought. Is the alarm for "I'm dead" the same as the alarm for "someone is not standing on the pressure plate"?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Just letting you guys know I updated the text from update two because of a minor mistake--had a couple lines referring to a character by a name she had in an earlier draft. Oops.

quote:

"Oswald broke the lock to Overson's area of the settlement and rushed in. I guarantee you that the lock was intact and locked from the inside until that time. Young Jane went with him, as well as his wife. By the time they got there...well. You and I can imagine what they saw."
So as to be fair to the player, I will restate—Overson was already dead before Oswald, his wife and Jane entered the room.

Before it used to say 'Dolores' instead of 'his wife.' The character is called something else now so that was silly of me. Sorry about that guys!

Also updated the character section in the first post with a quick summary of every character known so far, but it's in plain text right now. Hopefully around tuesday I should be able to put the character profiles inside pretty Phoenix Wright looking profile images. Please bear with the ugly plaintext for now.

Podima posted:

Also I appreciate that you made the joke option actually useful :3:

Glad you enjoyed that! I want to make sure that even that you guys aren't afraid to pick whatever sounds most fun. I mean non-joke options are almost always gonna get more information/fancy cutscenes, but I wanna make sure basically every option moves the plot forward at least a little bit.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alright, we've been horsing around long enough. Let's get to our actual contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So they guy doesn't like to use guns. Practically pathologically against their use. But he survived for a while out there away from the protection of this place. So how did he defend himself? With medical supplies or something else? Suspicious that the overseer died to 25 stab wounds, isn't it Mr. I-Don't-Use-Guns?

• Locked thread