Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Anyone messed around with W/r enchantment prison lately? I know it was popular with goons a while back. I got a couple blood moons and need to add another deck to my collection of loaner decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

My greatest Show and Tell victory was the game I set up the greatest trap I have ever pulled off in a magic game.
I'm not sure exactly how it went down but an early Cabal Therapy saw a Show and Tell and some targets. I kept taking his Grislebrand and other things — not his Show.
After a string of cantriping and tutoring, he finally found another Show and Tell (I think there was an Intuition in there).
Show and Tell resolves. He shows in Emrakul.
I show in Sower of Temptation.

Game two I get out of a Blood Moon lock by casting Murderous Redcap and then Birthing Pod into Acidic Slime on his Sneak Attack.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Sower of Temptation.
Blood Moon
Murderous Redcap
Birthing Pod
Acidic Slime

What the hell kind of Legacy deck is running all of these together? Wanna meet that deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

What the hell kind of Legacy deck is running all of these together? Wanna meet that deck.

Blood Moon was in Sneak and Show, the rest are presumably in Nic Fit Pod?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

C-Euro posted:

Sounds like Nic Fit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh OUT of a Blood Moon lock :downs: I didn't realize Pod saw Legacy play, that's neat.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Blood Moon was in Sneak and Show, the rest are presumably in Nic Fit Pod?

You win the prize. Blood Moon was particularly bad against me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

You win the prize. Blood Moon was particularly bad against me.

That was the thing I was confused about. Why was Blood Moon in against the 8 basic land deck?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Momir Vig can be so cruel sometimes. Solarion into Denizen of the Deep.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

Game two I get out of a Blood Moon lock

I thought I was clear!

I also think he desperation cast it when he didn't have any islands.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

A friend reminded me of the greatest match of mtg's history so please enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLK4UYqk8s0

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Close, because it has Chapin, but it's actually this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PPRnVCLVA

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

A friend reminded me of the greatest match of mtg's history so please enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLK4UYqk8s0

"if you know squee's name"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Close, because it has Chapin, but it's actually this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PPRnVCLVA

you mean this, right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMei_cxSC0c

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Holy poo poo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo.

It's such a good match.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This is my favorite. Joe Lossett vs. Bahra is also a really good one that I'll watch from time to time when I need to be reminded that I'll never be as good at Death and Taxes as Bahra is.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Am I crazy for wanting to buy a couple of Badlands so I can play Dark Burn and B/R Reanimator?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOYSZSn7-jE is one of my favorites.

And I'm biased because Greg is a local player, but drat did he just tear his way through SCG St Loius in 14.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VizIrGg1mx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SrlfWhmzU

http://www.mtgcoverage.com/ will let you look up decks by name and player if you are looking for something sweet.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 17, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I mean, it's a classic, but holy moly does Brian Davis not play well

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

AgentSythe posted:

Bob Maher is the only person to win a Pro Tour 7-0.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

if you've never punted a game because you forgot Force of Will had an alternate casting cost of five mana, you havent played enough legacy imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kraus posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to buy a couple of Badlands so I can play Dark Burn and B/R Reanimator?

Depends if you like losing or not....

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Well I mean you would think getting to go turn 1 unmask into necro in extended would be enough to win no matter how badly you played

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

I mean, if it's between buying Badlands and paying rent, yeah sure but if you have the dollars to spend B/R Reanimator is super fun to play and is a deck that has a lot of different lines you can take. if you enjoy that sort of thing you'll like B/R Reanimator

dark burn seems both bad and not fun

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

I mean, if it's between buying Badlands and paying rent, yeah sure but if you have the dollars to spend B/R Reanimator is super fun to play and is a deck that has a lot of different lines you can take. if you enjoy that sort of thing you'll like B/R Reanimator

dark burn seems both bad and not fun

It'd be something I save up to/trade in cards for. I basically have the whole deck, except the Badlands, and the Sires of Insanity. Are the Sires actually good? I have zero experience playing against or with them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ciprian Maricon posted:

if you've never punted a game because you forgot Force of Will had an alternate casting cost of five mana, you havent played enough legacy imo

Using mana to cast FOW is reason #3 or 4 why I love playing miracles.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

It'd be something I save up to/trade in cards for. I basically have the whole deck, except the Badlands, and the Sires of Insanity. Are the Sires actually good? I have zero experience playing against or with them.

they're bad if you blow your load on one and they get swords'd, but other than that they're game winning on turn 1. they were worse when there were more goyfs around since if your opponent goes land, land, goyf that can be bad for you but you've already done a million damage at that point anyway

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

they're bad if you blow your load on one and they get swords'd, but other than that they're game winning on turn 1. they were worse when there were more goyfs around since if your opponent goes land, land, goyf that can be bad for you but you've already done a million damage at that point anyway

Yeah, if I see any white mana, I'm going to reanimate Iona to stop that poo poo cold.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've heard the sentiment that Goyf is bad now. What changed to make that so?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

None of the decks that play it are good, it's slow, it's bad against Pyromancer, Swords, Eldrazi, Moat, Rest in Peace, Angler, etc.

It still seems fine in modern though if you want to make a mistake and play a fair deck in modern.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So we've basically come full-circle back to the "no evasion, no way to protect itself, no value if it dies right away" reason people thought it was underwhelming when it first got spoiled?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

So we've basically come full-circle back to the "no evasion, no way to protect itself, no value if it dies right away" reason people thought it was underwhelming when it first got spoiled?

Pretty much. 10 years later and it turns out they were right. It was never the best creature in any deck it was in but it filled the "giant idiot that kills them really fast" slot, except the decks that need that kind of thing have 1 mana 5/5s now. Between Angler and Deathrite, you're making a mistake if you're playing one of those decks and you're not playing black.

Basically what I'm saying is Khans block ruined every format.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Please keep in mind steve exaggerates like a motherfucker and goyf is still a really loving good creature.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Please keep in mind steve exaggerates like a motherfucker and goyf is still a really loving good creature.

Name a good deck in legacy that plays it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Name a good deck in legacy that plays it.

Shardless? Bug Delver?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

It was never the best creature in any deck it was in

lol

this could be true now, but it was certainly not true in the past

E: steve really hates shardless

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

Sure, but we're also still on best value for the mana for what it asks of you. Tasigur is better in some regard, but he does ask more of you to play him on curve (2cmc) to compare to goyf. A 4/5 goyf still can't be ignored which is what most of his value ends up as, he demands an answer, which allows other more relevant threats to live. I win more games in modern with raging ravine than goyf in grindy matches because after dealing with goyf, bob and scooze they're out of gas.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Shardless? Bug Delver?

I don't think anyone plays BUG Delver because it's just a worse version of 4 color, and Shardless will never be a good deck to me.

Elyv posted:

lol

this could be true now, but it was certainly not true in the past

E: steve really hates shardless

Maybe at one point but that hasn't been true in at least 4 years. Delver/Mongoose has always been better in RUG Delver depending on the deck you were playing against, Delver/Confidant/Deathrite was almost always better in BUG. The only time Goyf was ever the best creature in my deck was in the RUG Delver mirrors.

Edit: I guess Goyf is also the best top deck on a clear board when both players are on empty, but that's not a very common thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

suicidesteve posted:

Moat, Rest in Peace

Man, if only there were a deck that played both of these...

:twisted: