Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Snoo posted:

I can't believe some of my 'art' is in this, amazing

I should find the fat sweaty dollar-bill-gripping tim buckley picture + drawing sometime, it was very gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

i never did get why it was dickwolves specifically that stirred up such a mess, considering that penny-arcade always had things such as this:

It was the leading edge of the First Social Justice Crusade of the '10s

the rough equivalent of pope urban II's address

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

nnooooooooooooo

(thank you!)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

i never did get why it was dickwolves specifically that stirred up such a mess, considering that penny-arcade always had things such as this:

After they branched out from just making comics, they brought in a lot of new followers who liked what they were doing (PAX, Child's Play, et al) but didn't actually read the comic.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

I don't remember the name of the Goon that drew this, but I do remember that he made amazing pictures, and a story about a pickle.

Edit:
Also,

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 4, 2016

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Vengarr posted:

After they branched out from just making comics, they brought in a lot of new followers who liked what they were doing (PAX, Child's Play, et al) but didn't actually read the comic.

PAX became hilarious because Gabe kept getting super mad about things like dress codes and having queer game developers on the floor. Really I think PA would still have a good rep here if Richard Khoo was able to tell Gabe to shut the gently caress up once in a while.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Command Ant posted:

While we're on the subject of webcomics, do you remember Jazz Hands?

in exactly what circumstance could that artist be trying to express some kind of meaningful concept rather than just attempting to frame his horrific rape fantasies as somehow okay

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 4, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he considered it a writing challenge to come up with a "heroic rapist" character

obviously he succeeded

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

he considered it a writing challenge to come up with a "heroic rapist" character

obviously he succeeded

If his patreon gets enough money he'll bring his comic back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I met Mookie at Youmacon a couple years back, he's a pretty nice guy in person, but I think I was the only person to actually talk with him all day :smith:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What's he doing these days anyhow?

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
My first experience with DD was during the Going To The Desert (To Die) arc and that set my tone of expectations. I like how in that little vision of the future near the end of the comic it's implied that Jayden got back together with her ex-boyfriend. You know, the one whose reaction to her cheating on him was to 1) maul her face off (but it's okay because it was just a magic clone, not that he knew it at the time), and 2) destroy diplomatic relations with other nations by exiling all humans from his country and destroying their house of worship. True love! :)

obviously he succeeded

Didn't she eventually end up warming up to her rapist and openly calling him her husband? classy.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 4, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he works in a morgue now

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

What's he doing these days anyhow?

He teamed up with another webcomic person (a sort-of decent artist who used to make some dumb Neil-Gaiman-meets-Gargoyles fanfiction) to make a new and very mediocre comic called Star Power.

Nobody really followed it. It was bad, but not memorable-bad. But that was a while ago, so it is possible that one or both of them are now dead.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

Didn't she eventually end up warming up to her rapist and openly calling him her husband? classy.

The rapist (inspired by the artist's World of Warcraft character) was a true hero and absolutely everyone who did not accept this was under demonic influence. The rapee was a Good character so, yes, obviously she forgave him and came to love him.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

He teamed up with another webcomic person (a sort-of decent artist who used to make some dumb Neil-Gaiman-meets-Gargoyles fanfiction) to make a new and very mediocre comic called Star Power.

Nobody really followed it. It was bad, but not memorable-bad. But that was a while ago, so it is possible that one or both of them are now dead.

Huh, I didn't think that they'd ever actually started that

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

obviously he succeeded

A "sexy rapist" thank you very muchhh.

From what I gathered, Mookie as a person is/was this fun guy to hang around with who unfortunately had absolutely zero self awareness and also a hugbox community around his webcomic which let him sustain that level.

Hirethor posted:

I don't remember the name of the Goon that drew this, but I do remember that he made amazing pictures, and a story about a pickle.

I think their name was Thallium and that exact picture also jumped at me from that art gallery picture and thank you for posting the full size version. It means much to me as a CAD mock fan. I feel 8 years younger now.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

in exactly what circumstance could that artist be trying to express some kind of meaningful concept rather than just attempting to frame his horrific rape fantasies as somehow okay

webcomic.txt

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Right up my alley.

Did the old CAD threads introduce us to Diana Kennedy's Victorian era JFK alt history or was this one of those crossover edits? It's been so long...

Edit: it did lead to this wonderful thread though: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628986&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Backweb fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 5, 2016

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Breetai posted:

HA! That's one I did years ago. The internet never forgets anything.

Also, there's a first page:

jesus christ

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Laputanmachine posted:

I think their name was Thallium and that exact picture also jumped at me from that art gallery picture and thank you for posting the full size version. It means much to me as a CAD mock fan. I feel 8 years younger now.

I found him, it was Discount_Bees
http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/warning-signs-gherkin/1/

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IIRC, this was actually drawn to be a better example of how to do loss.jpg.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The CAD mock threads were the reason I stopped lurking and joined the SA forums.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The CAD mock threads were the reason I stopped lurking and joined the SA forums.

Yeah, that part of the CAD mock threads sucked.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Node posted:

Yeah, that part of the CAD mock threads sucked.

Lowtax being able to afford food sucked?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
the CAD mock threads were loving amazing, and i don't even remember why i started reading them

i was really sad when B^U rebooted and the comic became so boring that no one even bothered mocking it anymore :smith:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why did the Dobson thread get closed? It was hilarious and Dobson is a much worse human being than Buckley could ever dream to be.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i think dobson went the same route, eventually getting too boring to mock

also i think webdog might have gotten overzealous or something, i don't remember exactly

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
After ten thousand posts of making fun of Dobson for wanting to eat at McDonald's and being a bear it gets old. It bottles my mind why people still think editing things to be in the four panels shape of loss is still funny too.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/draw-mario-song/1/

Holy poo poo, he's the mario egg tank guy

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

After ten thousand posts of making fun of Dobson for wanting to eat at McDonald's and being a bear it gets old. It bottles my mind why people still think editing things to be in the four panels shape of loss is still funny too.
Editing pictures to look like other pictures that someone found funny once is the lifeblood of Something Awful Forums content.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Razorwired posted:

PAX became hilarious because Gabe kept getting super mad about things like dress codes and having queer game developers on the floor. Really I think PA would still have a good rep here if Richard Khoo was able to tell Gabe to shut the gently caress up once in a while.

Yeah I liked Penny Arcade for a long time, they can still be good but the core problem is that Gabe is still a high school idiot.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

YeahTubaMike posted:

i think dobson went the same route, eventually getting too boring to mock
also i think webdog might have gotten overzealous or something, i don't remember exactly
Eventually you run out of things to mock and the mockiees wise up and shut off the supply. Also GBS was a bit more sensitive over what could be posted and people just ran out of stuff.

Buckley has enough of a tough guy persona to keep on swinging. Post CAD-ending he just returned to making dud jokes about gaming news featuring The Players, living off Patron and has just done some kickstarter game. And he's regurgitated an old idea where Ethan and Lucas have super-hero powers. He's kept his head down as far as I can tell. He's a far cry from when he was openly boasting about being so great and inadvertently blowing server donations on plasma TV's and embarrassing car mods and even more shameful past before CAD.

Dobson had a meltdown/ragequit (again). This time he managed to get the cops called to him after fears he was suicidal, but not really, which his fan base really didn't approve of and chased him off DeviantArt. This wasn't helped by sticking his nose into GamerGate and trying to be a informed feminist on the subject via a parody of Vivian James. It went down as well as you'd imagined and snapped his brain in two.

He's like a modern day Sisyphus, punished for his "cleverness" by pushing a boulder up a hill for it to fall back at the top. Just in his case he's demanding the gods roll the bolder for him because he's above such a menial task such as effort.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 7, 2016

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Remember when someone offered Dobson a job illustrating for children's books? A job that would be perfect for someone who is supposedly an aspiring professional artist in that he would be getting paid to draw and practice his craft?

He then refused because he didn't wanna waste his time on no gay rear end baby poo poo

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

WebDog posted:

Dobson had a meltdown/ragequit (again). This time he managed to get the cops called to him after fears he was suicidal, but not really, which his fan base really didn't approve of and chased him off DeviantArt. This wasn't helped by sticking his nose into GamerGate and trying to be a informed feminist on the subject via a parody of Vivian James. It went down as well as you'd imagined and snapped his brain in two.

He's like a modern day Sisyphus, punished for his "cleverness" by pushing a boulder up a hill for it to fall back at the top. Just in his case he's demanding the gods roll the bolder for him because he's above such a menial task such as effort.

Okay, I would really like to know more about this.

• Locked thread