Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Uncle Wemus posted:

What could save dobson
Pretty severe psychotherapy involving him being barred from using the internet to actually work himself out without having to rely on asking the magic 8 ball of the internet for advice.

Bismuth posted:

Yeah hes inflation, and hes also super bitter about art school, like hilariously bitter that he didnt get to be a Disney animator.
And bizarrely cited Bill Peet's autobiography as his reason for wanting to animate.
Bill Peet really didn't put working at Disney in a good light, pretty much revealing that he was among so many wannabe animators who were only hired to do in-betweens, The burn-rate was immense. Peet eventually got promoted by fluke after quitting with rage and only when returning to collect his jacket found he'd been promoted but later fell out with Disney.

I suspect Dobson's "So you're a cartoonist" is a riff off this, but instead of Peet's introspection you have a smug cynic who sees himself as better than everyone else while visibly flinching at his own past faults. And that was in his heyday when the poo poo hadn't hit the fan.

Dobson seemed to take out a fairly naive angle that "work hard and you'll get promoted from the trenches" yet assumed that having a BFA would automatically get him work. But he was immensely lazy at college, enjoying the freedoms of not having nagging parents to literally spend all night watching anime and the exciting freedom of going to McDonalds, the bitter betrayal from being booted from the anime club and the terrors of having to listen to other people's lovemaking from down the hall.

He took 2D animation not being done in pen and ink as a sign of the end times, despite the fact Disney had been using CAPS since the 1990's, and just gave up trying after Flash was too hard. He literally hits his own self imposed walls and stops dead. All the while trying to reassure himself by releasing horrible tutorials on DA which had people with elementry school art skills ripping them apart as it was clear he was failing in basic concepts of lighting and color theory and using the fill bucket so poorly he was creating cruddy outlines everywhere.

His method for shadows is to create a layer of grey that's 60% translucent and stencil in thick dark shadows over things making everything look ominously lit.

All the while others in his class took the long road and got into solid careers while Dobson whinged away in the cesspit of DeviantArt trying to be popular and controversial.

And that's not even getting deeper into the onion of his horrible personal views which he tried to show the funny side via comics that made him look genuinely ignorant of basic social cues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

man I missed webdog's encyclopedic knowledge of internet bullshit. not even joking

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Webdog owns and is a forums treasure.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

It's like we have our own little slice of Helldump still alive in our hearts, only it's for bad webcomic authors.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Cowman posted:

man I missed webdog

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Light Gun Man posted:

Webdog owns and is a forums treasure.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Webdog can you answer this in an incredibly detailed post?

Capntastic posted:

I have to see those comics, I don't know anything about Dobson but those sound amazing

I imagine there's page long newspost screeds too?

I remember the snide comics dobson drew about his room mate. And either comics or news posts where he complained about "The state of animation" which was completely ignorant of him being a lazy sack. But I have no idea where to start to show this with his own work.

Also was it ever established that he was a furry? He kept drawing himself as a little blue dickhole of a bear that was angry at everything but all I remember is creepy inflationist poo poo done in his terrible art style.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

How dare other people work hard to improve their craft and land their dream jobs instead of just watching anime and arguing on the Internet. It's just not fair!!

So what you're saying is if I keep calling you a piece of poo poo it isn't gonna get me anywhere?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
please no, not andrew dobson

his art legitimately sucks and he refuses to acknowledge this

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.deviantart.com/tag/tompreston?offset=0 here, if you hate yourself. scroll down far enough and you will find stuff making fun of him

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just now remembered that when I was in early high school, so like 15 years old, I had a CAD shirt that had the main dude and it said "If my eyes aren't bleeding I'm not ready to stop playing video games". And I wore it a lot with great pride.

Sigh.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Light Gun Man posted:

http://www.deviantart.com/tag/tompreston?offset=0 here, if you hate yourself. scroll down far enough and you will find stuff making fun of him

i hate myself

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I just now remembered that when I was in early high school, so like 15 years old, I had a CAD shirt that had the main dude and it said "If my eyes aren't bleeding I'm not ready to stop playing video games". And I wore it a lot with great pride.

Sigh.

And now you're a great big seventeen! Good job big guy!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

correction, I loathe myself

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Also was it ever established that he was a furry?
He's an angry care bear...not quite sure what the gimmick is really meant to entail but I suspect he found the idea "ironic".

As for comics...
http://imgur.com/a/faAZL
Here's a bunch of them that sum up his views. Sadly the blogposts detailing them in more inane ways are long gone.

He writes This without a hint of irony.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
webdog stalking buckley is literally the reason I signed up for SA

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

WebDog posted:

He's an angry care bear...not quite sure what the gimmick is really meant to entail but I suspect he found the idea "ironic".

As for comics...
Here's a bunch of them that sum up his views. Sadly the blogposts detailing them in more inane ways are long gone.

this just solidifies that any man who can't (as opposed to won't) drink alcohol is a weirdo sex pervert

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

WebDog posted:

As for comics...

I met a chick who was like that about booze and that should have been the big hint that I should loving run. She had a very similar chip on her shoulder, though she actually put effort into life and accomplished something.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Lastgirl posted:

correction, I loathe myself

What does this even mean?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bismuth posted:

What does this even mean?

He is a perverted blue bear furry piece of poo poo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's an animation thing, where the shape of the body kind of has an S curve to show action and movement or something like that instead of just being a boring dead weight. Sort of helps characters have a personality, in the same way that you usually want to draw more weight resting on one leg than the other.

What it translates to is "I'm'a be a famous artist cause I already know the lingo!"

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Node posted:

He is a perverted blue bear furry piece of poo poo.

Sentient Data posted:

It's an animation thing, where the shape of the body kind of has an S curve to show action and movement or something like that instead of just being a boring dead weight. Sort of helps characters have a personality, in the same way that you usually want to draw more weight resting on one leg than the other.

What it translates to is "I'm'a be a famous artist cause I already know the lingo!"

First one is most likely

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

"A real shame about your oversized fuckin' head though..."

This is like a strange mix of the MTV Undergrads show and Dragon Ball.

Honestly, I can think of and have seen worse stuff in drawn comics. I had the misfortune to read some college campus comix a few times and I was always surprised how few of the campus newspaper comics were actually good.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Uncle Wemus posted:

What could save dobson

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

:shittypop:

Edsger W. Dijkstra
May 2, 2007
When I discovered Dobson's comics in the various webcomics threads, for the longest time I thought the title was "So you think you're a cartoonist", and that it was making fun of its main character. It was working pretty well!

How sad I was to learn the truth.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Also was it ever established that he was a furry? He kept drawing himself as a little blue dickhole of a bear that was angry at everything but all I remember is creepy inflationist poo poo done in his terrible art style.

I think that came about because he was getting so much poo poo for drawing himself as a thin, normal looking person even though he was yet another fat gently caress nerd going bald before age 30. How he decided on a blue carebear specifically I don't know.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I no longer see Dobson comics with his wildly flattering self insert character. My brain now automatically corrects them to sweaty dobson. This is what it's like to have reached enlightenment.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lmfao

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

WebDog posted:

As for comics...

Laffo oh boy does that guy sound interesting

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Diaz is his own seperate pit of shame but hes not a total sadsack like dobson.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Has it really been 8 years?

How has the guy never improved his art. He's changed his art style but it's just made them look more frog-like.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yay Webdog is still posting about Buckley. Some things never change :unsmith:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Wait, he still makes the comic?

For some reason I thought he ended CAD.

Holy poo poo he gets almost $4,000 a month from patreon? What the gently caress?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Wait, he still makes the comic?

For some reason I thought he ended CAD.

Holy poo poo he gets almost $4,000 a month from patreon? What the gently caress?

Patreon, assuring that no matter what, someone will pay you to be horrible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Marenghi posted:

How has the guy never improved his art. He's changed his art style but it's just made them look more frog-like.

ahahaha he can't even color in his own coloring books anymore

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Uncle Wemus posted:

Diaz is his own seperate pit of shame but hes not a total sadsack like dobson.

Diaz jerks off to a mirror every night and still insists that he is an amazing enlightened feminist despite drawing his character sexually/nude "for reference", but at least his art is really good.

E. I have spent way too much of my life thinking about/reading/posting about Internet comics

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Marenghi posted:

looks way better but is still ugly

also wait he's not coloring it? no wonder it looks better.

Holy poo poo the colorer's art is actually pretty good

• Locked thread