Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*starts to quiver*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
they were Good and we want to see them Again

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

post the final chome

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
lol if u didn't save the chomes when you had the chance :chome:

i never saw cooking with smythe though :(

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

This is a review from a person who prefer writing summaries over doing problem sets and read only one book per topic for interest. I believe most people buy this book for its face value and yes that perhaps will give it a five star (no that I care about its face value as I am not a CS major). I rated this book with one star so that the people who really want to read this book would see. And as to today's stand point, one star is relevant in sense of its priorities in learning algorithms. I throw away these books a month later trying to make it a habit reading it a little every weekday morning.

I started with the from the beginning, and it would be impossible otherwise without learning the language it uses. However, the language is outdated, which is even noted by the author saying that it'd be nice if some one update it. An old language is not too bad, since many ideas in algorithms should be language independent. Nonetheless, the printout format is for punch cards. Unless, someone is nostalgic in organizing punch card in a manner that covers 1/3 of code, then all right, the book should be for you. Yes, you may do what I did by ignoring the printout over all. However, my impression after reading the delicate chapter only on punch cards is that the later codes will be heavily entangled with such format. The author does argues that perhaps learning old languages may turn out to be useful at some point. I don't like this attitude compare to "this part is tedious, skip it unless you just have too much time with you" (yes, there are authors that do say this). And there, I drop the book.

There are other things that worth mentioning. When introducing the language (I don't have the book anymore and so I don't quite remember what's it's called) and its operations, some behaviors under special conditions are left out, and so you cannot completely determine the result of some operation is weird cases base on the chapter along, and they are only vaguely mentioned by the solution of the exercises. Along with some typos in the examples, it's easy to lose the overall behavior of the code. So yes, to appropriately understand this book, reading it is not sufficient; you get to play around with it on an actual computer.

The chapter that I think may worth keeping it is actually the math chapter and their associated calculation for the efficiency of the algorithms. I had not seen enough theorem dealing with complicated operation with sigma sums and pi products, and I didn't go through all the calculation, but after all, the math may be the most relevant thing today as it's definitely language independent. I get to read concrete math to check if the same things show up there.

So yes, in case you want it on your shelf, don't read it with too much effort, unless you are interested in updating the whole set of books.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
welcome to the chome of the month club

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Silver Alicorn posted:

chome in the streets

lomarf in the sheets

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
can smythe create a chome so large even he can't cum on it?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm reliving the final chome

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

how man

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the experience of the final chome has been bestowed unto me to relive

i'm going to experience it again

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm ready.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Chome, chome, chome...

Chome, chome, chome...

ChooOoooOoOooooOoome...

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

hmmmmmm. chome

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASIYkMFHx-E

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ChomeCore

also repostin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hABO8hRAS0

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

your chomes
my chomes
chomes chomes
chome chome chome

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Final Chome

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

loving pissed that a "friend" would imply I rendered as .mov. jesus Christ

loving Sever

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

"Chome it up, fuzzball"

-Indie Jones

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I also having never seen cooking with smythe and would like to thx & godbless

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
noam chomesky

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
cooking with smythe is mostly interesting for being the exact friggin' opposite of his posting (quality excepted, both own)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Dongslayer. posted:

mome chomesky

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gonna relive the final chome again

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

how would i describe the chome meme? - lomarf

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

:stare:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Radio Paranoia posted:

mome chomesky

yaaaaaaaaaaaasssss

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk posted:

gonna relive the final chome again

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Gnome

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

cucking with smythe

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

smythe please bring back all of your videos and chomes, including, cooking with smythe. chome

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
cooking with chome

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

GameCube posted:

six and a half figgies. heh. yeah, that's- *re-reads OP* bwuuuuuuuuh? :eyepop: :pwn:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
*yospos ALPHA blasts past thread at a startling 6.6 figgies, leaving a cyan & magenta wake*

oh my god he went full chome

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Necc0 posted:

*yospos ALPHA blasts past thread at a startling 6.6 figgies, leaving a cyan & magenta wake*

oh my god he went full chome

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the final chome is truly an experience unlike any other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
oh give me a chome
where the buffalo mome

• Locked thread