Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

CrashScreen posted:

I can promise it gets a lot better later. The A Realm Reborn leveling story just struggles to stretch to 50 without the padding. I have a few theories as to why but being rushed to replace an MMO with a new one is probably the main reason it worked out this way. The developers hit their stride in the content patches before the first expansion came out, though.

I have seen many complaints from members of my free company about the content of the 2.x patches being filler, usually when a newcomer to the game has to slog through it all at once to get to Heavensward. It makes me wonder how many people will grouse about 3.x after most players get used to Stormblood, even though 3.x has been so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
One thing that will really help is the difference in quantity. In total the 2.x story adds up to a count of 100 individual quests, but most are very much "walk here, talk to person, walk back" type.

3.x, in contrast, has a total of 44 quests, and most of them are pretty localized or involve doing something interesting. You ca blow through the 2.x content in 2-3 days of play pretty easy (I've done it three times now because I'm insane), and the actual storyline is interesting enough, but it can feel like a slog if you're just trying to reach Heavensward on your 3rd character.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

The progression of the main narrative is roughly the same though the order is slightly different.

1.0 had an irrelevant (though also unfinished) city-state storyline where the protagonist discovers they have the Echo. After that, they're invited to Minfilia's organisation where their first assignment is to help bridge the beast tribes and spoken races. This is done with assistance of the sylphs. After that, Ifrit comes into the picture as well as the paragons and ascians, though it wasn't clear they were related at the time. It "ends" when Gaius is revealed and attacks, and none of those threads go anywhere. So far, ARR has mostly been setting up the same threads and progressing some of them.

For what it's worth, 1.0 did actually get an ending thanks to the current dev team, but that was an entirely separate storyline added a couple of years later IIRC. They even managed to throw in a couple of other Primals too.

1.0's story is even further expanded upon in a post-50 optional raid content, actually. Or rather, its stuff to help further tie how 1.0 became ARR.
Not sure if this LP will cover that, as the content is very old, so its kind of hard to get people to do it. Particularly as one of the raid bosses can't be 'cheesed' by unsyncing it, because the boss has very specific mechanics that you can't just damage race past.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Sgt Thud posted:

One thing that will really help is the difference in quantity. In total the 2.x story adds up to a count of 100 individual quests, but most are very much "walk here, talk to person, walk back" type.

3.x, in contrast, has a total of 44 quests, and most of them are pretty localized or involve doing something interesting. You ca blow through the 2.x content in 2-3 days of play pretty easy (I've done it three times now because I'm insane), and the actual storyline is interesting enough, but it can feel like a slog if you're just trying to reach Heavensward on your 3rd character.

I still don't understand why people make multiple characters in this game. There's already plenty enough to do with just one.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Solitair posted:

I still don't understand why people make multiple characters in this game. There's already plenty enough to do with just one.

Usually to try out a different race. Or if you're someone like me, and you kind of roleplay it in your head, the concept of a single person being able to do everything amazingly and perfectly, is kind of odd. So you make another character to do other things.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

krisslanza posted:

Usually to try out a different race. Or if you're someone like me, and you kind of roleplay it in your head, the concept of a single person being able to do everything amazingly and perfectly, is kind of odd. So you make another character to do other things.

This, mostly. My big square bodied roegadyn man is fine for melee classes like Dragoon and Dark Knight, but I'd prefer to have my White Mage be a slimmer, less musclebound race. I have multiple characters, but each one is covering 2-3 classes. Plus I used to play WoW so it's partially out of old habits. But mostly just liking having different characters.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

krisslanza posted:

I had Bartz, Reina, Faris and Krile master every job in FF5, and I don't have a problem doing the same thing with my guy here.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Different strokes, different strokes. I find enough to do with my one character to keep me busy, but my girlfriend won't stop making alts just to try out more things with a fresh pair of eyes. It's all about how you want to tailor your playing experience, in the end.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

krisslanza posted:

1.0's story is even further expanded upon in a post-50 optional raid content, actually. Or rather, its stuff to help further tie how 1.0 became ARR.
Not sure if this LP will cover that, as the content is very old, so its kind of hard to get people to do it. Particularly as one of the raid bosses can't be 'cheesed' by unsyncing it, because the boss has very specific mechanics that you can't just damage race past.

I had a really easy time last year getting people to do it unsynced using Party Finder (on a weekend afternoon, which probably helped). We wiped a fair amount on that boss but got it eventually. Since the addition of cross-world Party Finder and its inclusion in Wondrous Tales I'd bet it's gotten even easier.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter XLVI: Spirited Away
Continuing where we left off, Aggro has finally wormed her way into the hearts of Komuxio, who was finally ready to introduce her to the Elder One. Unfortunately, something seems to have happened.

Music: Flibbertigibit

This one cannot because... elder one is not here. Elder one is not anywhere. Elder one went into forest yesterday, but has not come back... This one is worried. Kind one will help find elder one, yes?

Life's pretty tough for the sylphs. Between the Garleans, the tempered sylphs, and the dangerous beasts lurking outside. Any number of things could have happened to their leader.

Near where elder one disappeared is the home of a walking one named Buscarron. Buscarron may know what happened to elder one. This one begs of kind one. Please go to Gridania and ask fellow kind ones for help.

Well, if we've to get help from Gridania, we should speak to the Serpent Commander Aggro contacted before. Off to the Adders' Nest we go.

Vorsaile is, of course, shocked by the news. He suggests that Aggro should contact Giah Molkoh in Bentbranch Meadows, in central Shroud.

Giah is in the aetheryte plaza for Bentbranch, so there isn't really any effort in finding her. After acquiring help, we'll never ever see her again (except if we get to the Yo-kai Watch seasonal event). This is just an insignificant step.

Anyway, we've to go meet Buscarron who we'll find in a whole new zone. Aggro has to travel to south Shroud, even though nobody has actually told her where Buscarron is.

Music: Serenity

South Shroud is... well, it's in the south. Aggro takes a left at the fork down near Galvanth's Spire. The right path leads to Tam-Tara Deepcroft.

Along the way is Mirror Planks, where deliveries from south Shroud are sent as cargo and adventurers can travel to the Gridanian player residential district. The Mirror, which is the name of the waters here, is host to the Ghost Carp. Superstition would have us believe that the spirits of drowned sailors are trapped in those fish. Kind of eerie with all this fog.

The terrain changes a little bit once we reach Upper Paths, south Shroud. It doesn't take Aggro very long to reach her destination as she follows the path.

Buscarron's Druthers is a pub, out in a sort of frontier for the Black Shroud. The lands here are a bit more lawless, with poachers freely hunting without the elemental's blessing. Nearby is a wooden fortress that's part of a bunch of FATEs we'll never see, in which players can potentially take over and defend it. A lot of the trees here are also more recently grown than elsewhere in the Shroud. If we were to travel a little bit more south, we'd reach a swamp with few trees.

Just outside is Yda and Papalymo. They say nothing of interest. We get a cutscene when Aggro steps inside and speaks to Buscarron.

Music: Another Round

Ahhh, a hunger for news, is it? Aye, there's been talk of a sylph lurking hereabouts, but I couldn't rightly say if it be the elder you seek.

Aggro motions as she explains something.

Those woodland scamps all look alike. Short of painting one red and another one blue, most folk would struggle to tell two of 'em apart.

Buscarron's actually a good guy, though this quest line does a bad job of conveying him as anything but an opportunist. We're about to hit one of the three real lows of the ARR story, but this one is fortunately short. I'm not sure I could fit the others within an update. We'll actually be making some progression today.

Buscarron will have two tasks for us, separated into different quests. The first quest involves Aggro calming down a bar brawl. This one is a little arduous.

First, Aggro will need to pick up an empty tub from the side of the building.

Next, she has to place the tub in the river.

Now that the tub is in the river, Aggro must fill it with water.

Make sure to remember that you need to pick it up as well, as I guarantee you that most players forget this step. Next, Aggro will have to reposition the tub to ensure she carries it safely, and then must repeat the steps again when she inevitably spills it after bumping into Gaius van Baelsar himself.

This aggressor is in for a shock.

Yeah, yeah, I know the rules. That bastard gets to keep his skin... for now.

Fantasy racism is real in Final Fantasy XIV. For what it's worth, Eorzean discrimination is actually usually less about your race and more about your class, but Gridania is particularly xenophobic. There's some history with the Duskwights (the less frequently seen Elezen clan) here, but we'll get to that.

Talking to the drunken Duskwight is optional, but he seems fairly sure that he'd have been the winner if it didn't mean Buscarron would have a mess to clean up. Well, at least he cares.

Buscarron explains that Duskwights tend to prefer living in the wilds, and are treated as brigands as a result. Living in the wild, they often have to rob and pillage to survive. They can be traced back to Gelmorra, and couldn't fit in on the surface once the elementals opened up to the spoken races living there. There aren't very many of them in A Realm Reborn.

For her efforts, Aggro is rewarded a... raw chicken egg. As a culinarian, I suppose this could be of some use to her. Actually, this is for the next quest and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a reward until Heavensward was released. We can also select from the optional rewards, but they're not very interesting. Between a level 22 mage's hat, a roast dodo, and 1k gil of sellable mint, Aggro takes the roast dodo.

I'm not sure, but this might be the first food item we've received since The Far Edge of Fate (Patch 3.5) was released for the game in January. Since that patch dropped, food duration can actually be extended by eating more of the same food. The duration is limited to a full hour, but this is actually pretty helpful.

The roast dodo itself can increase skill speed up to 7 points, which should be enough to reduce Aggro's global cooldown by at least 0.01 of a second. It adds up. Also, the additional 4 points of Vitality is a pretty sweet deal on a tank class, since it'll also help improve damage too.

There's a Qiqirn friend of mine, you see--name of Teteroon. A good lad. It was right after the Calamity that I came across him fallen in the Shroud. I took him in and nursed him back to health best I could. He worked here at my Druthers for a spell after that. Got to talking about striking out on his own, he did, and not long after cast his lot with a merchant bound for La Noscea.

Buscarron's next task is a pretty obnoxious derail. As a videogame quest, it's just some boring padding. In-game, it's a pretty lovely favour to ask. Can you guess where this is going?

Well, it just so happens I got to cleaning up around here and came across something of his--this scarlet earring. I know he was fond of the thing, but he must have just forgotten it when he left. So, I'd like to see that it gets to him.

Yeah, we've to head to depart for Vylbrand and go on a hunt to deliver a lost earring for the first level 23 quest. Buscarron doesn't actually know where Teteroon is anymore, but believes that a Roegadyn friend named Baensyng can tell us. Baensyng's usual hangout is Hawkers' Alley, where he bothers new players adventurers about market prices.

Soundtrack ends.

Before we travel to Limsa Lominsa, Aggro should probably attune to the nearest aetheryte. Let's not repeat our journey from Bentbranch Meadows. Just east of Buscarron's Druthers is a small camp we can use.

Quarrymill won't matter very much in the story until our next story arc. It's also an Upper Paths fort, but not the one I mentioned earlier that's used in FATEs.

Aggro attunes to the aetheryte, and also sets Quarrymill as her home point. It'll make returning here that much easier once we're done with Buscarron's detour.

Music: A Sailor Never Sleeps

Anyway, Hawkers' Alley is to the west in Limsa Lominsa's Lower Decks.

Baensyng doesn't know where to find Teteroon, but maybe Kyokyoroon does.

Kyokyoroon doesn't know where to find Teteroon, but maybe Wineburg does.

Aggro uses a nearby aethernet to teleport to the Fishers' Guild, right next to the Lominsan Ferry Docks.

Wineburg doesn't know where to find Teteroon, but maybe Ahldfoet does.

Soundtrack ends.

Ahldfoet doesn't know where to find Teteroon, but maybe Memeroon does. We'll have to travel through Skull Valley into Oakwood. Oakwood is new to us, but Skull Valley is around where Sastasha is located.

I suppose this might be a decent enough opportunity to show off another mount. The Fat Chocobo was a mount given to owners of the collectors' edition of A Realm Reborn. It wasn't actually initially available, and was added to the appropriate accounts later.

New Music: Big-boned

Our new buddy gets his own unique music track. He's also a little bit more lazy than the usual kind, but as with any animal, he can be motivated by using food. A gysahl green will be enough, though there is one more food that'll be available later. I should probably add that you won't need either item in your inventory, as it's just a fun or offensive part of the chocobo's animation (depending on your attitude towards it).

Running past Sastasha's entrance reminds me that the three adventuring parties that started out when Aggro did are no longer adventuring. If only they read a guide before jumping in; they might have stood a better chance. Well, I can't really blame them for wanting to experience it blind.

The zone line is basically around the corner from Sastasha. It wasn't very far from Aleport at all.

Welcome to Oakwood, located in Upper La Noscea. The zone is split into two halves, and this is the only time the level 20 half is actually used. It really feels like this detour was a haphazard way to include it into the main scenario, because otherwise it would be an unused and unjustified area.

Finally, we reach Memeroon's Trading Post and find Teteroon. Honestly, I have no idea as to why Aggro would agree to this task in the first place. You know, beyond the whole "point and she'll do it" thing that's been going on. Narratively, it makes no sense. The Elder One is missing and every second counts.

While I understand Buscarron is going to get the information for us and Aggro doesn't know Upper Paths very well, she could have spent her time talking to Buscarron's patrons for information too. She didn't bother with that at all. Fun fact: In Eorzean Time, Aggro has spent five hours on this task already, and that's with all the player conveniences for saving time. What made Buscarron think this was an okay request with the current circumstances? This zone may need to be justified, but it's just tacked onto the story.

Soundtrack ends.

In any case, Teteroon is really happy to finally have his earrings back. He also has a task of his own for Aggro because: of course he does. And what was the reward for Aggro's efforts?

Yeah. A weapon that can't compete with the level 20 weapon. I've said this before, but I'm real glad Heavensward shifted to high quality rewards in the story. These really suck.

Right, now, what about Teteroon's waste of time task?

He wants Aggro to help him produce an alcoholic beverage to thank Buscarron. Oh, I can think of a few ways to thank him. To assist Teteroon's brewing, Aggro will need to obtain five coeurl pup whiskers and water, both from Fool Falls. Apparently Bronze Lake can't be used as a consumable water source. Fool Falls is at the most north-western point of Oakwood.

New Music: The Land Breathes

The way is plagued with Kobolds, but they're on Aggro's hunt log. Like the Amalj'aa, this beast tribe is very aggressive. We'll find out why later on, too.

Also on the way to Fool Falls is the Marberry, a level 50 tonberry that will attack Aggro on sight. Yeah, no. We're not traveling this way. It's dense with aggressive enemies and will take too long as a result. Instead, there's a better way to get to Fool Falls.

To the west is Poor Maid's Mill. It's a pre-Calamity settlement (not featured in 1.0) that fell into ruin. It's taken up by ex-pirate settlers who wish to restore it. Often under attack, Poor Maid's Mill hosts a couple of FATEs somewhat reminiscent of the abandoned Hamlet Defence feature, similar to the Golden Bazaar. Aggro can find a narrow passage onto Fool Falls from here.

Coeurl Pups are blah blah blah. We know the deal. Their only unique ability is Microblaster, which inflicts paralysis and has no cast-time. Paralysis is mildly annoying in FFXIV, but isn't too troubling on a melee class like Gladiator. It will interrupt Aggro's actions once every ~3 seconds. Aggro's global cooldown is less than 2.5 seconds. Level 23 enemies seem to have 558 HP.

Soundtrack ends.

The Marberry I mentioned earlier isn't actually normally a threat. It spawns randomly throughout the Upper La Noscea zone. Similarly, Simurgh is a notorious monster that spawns as part of the Simurgh is the Word FATE. This is a really unfortunate run. In any case, Aggro has to be careful about catching the notorious monster's attention while drawing water. It's possible to solo it, but I wouldn't really recommend spending too much time on that.

Aggro finishes drawing the water and returns to Teteroon.

Teteroon is grateful for the ingredients and begins work on the drink. Aggro can select from a range of weapons for the mage classes. Interestingly, Rogue's weapon is here too. I mentioned before that Rogue was added in a content patch for A Realm Reborn. It looks like they replaced the allagan mint reward for this quest with Rogue weapons.

While Teteroon told Aggro to come back later, the next quest is still a level 23 quest. There's no reason it can't be done immediately after. Anyway, this is where setting our home point in Quarrymill comes in useful.

Aggro Returns to Quarrymill.

New Music: The Rider's Boon

Let's enjoy a new ride on our way to Buscarron's Druthers, now that we've seen the coeurl. I mentioned that the Fat Chocobo wasn't part of the collectors' edition originally, but the coeurl was there from the start. There's no unique theme, unlike the two chocobo mounts. This one is the generic Other Mount track.

Appreciating that Aggro has went stupidly out of her way for him, Buscarron offers to finish the bottle together one year from now when it's ready. The rewards include heavy armour and light armour melee equipment, but no tank-specific stuff.

Well, it's time to get back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Something must have given them cause to venture this far. More than like, the missing sylph elder's among them. Here, I've marked the tract where they were sighted on your map.

Soundtrack ends.

There are five locations total, guarded by Kedtraps and a variation of Ochu. This can be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but they actually aggro on sound. We can avoid fighting with them by walking past them. Conversely, running around will likely draw attention, even if they're facing away. Simple stuff.

Poking around will sometimes spawn a garlean or two, but they're nothing to be concerned about. We've seen this all before. More alarmingly, what are they doing all the way out here? Their base is located in east Shroud, which is actually north-east of central Shroud. It's pretty far away.

But no, not this far into the forest. The Wailers' spires are everywhere. Imperials could never have stolen past them all. How in the bloody hells could they--Unless... Unless someone guided them through. Someone who knew where the spires stand, and when the Wailers watch. A Gridanian traitor.

The rewards are heavy and light armoured melee equipment again, some dried plums, and two Allagan silver pieces worth 500 gil each.

There's no real stat advantage in the plums for Aggro, so I roll with the silver pieces.

There's a regular of mine who used to dine on thin soup, and sip his pint on account of not being able to afford another. But of late, he's taken to ordering my best wines and the finest cuts of meat I can lay my hands on. Were he a merchant, I'd prob'ly think nothing of it, but this lad's a Wood Wailer.

The lad I'm talking about goes by the name of Laurentius. Last I heard, he was in the South Shroud. Find him, Aggro, and if he is up to no good, put an end to it--and him, if it comes to that.

Laurentius, the potential Gridanian traitor, isn't too far away. He's going to be a very significant character in the future, and one everyone will probably forget.

We can find him hanging around just outside the walls for the Druthers, behind the chocobo stables. He's also not pleased that he's the center of someone's attention. Thus begins a game of cat and mouse.

Laurentius runs away.

On the third attempt at talking to him, he's actually preoccupied with some familiar boxes. He'll call for help, spawning in some more imperial soldiers.

You know, Aggro is going to start drawing the attention of the garleans if she keeps this up. How many has she so casually murdered already? Laurentius is spooked by Aggro's ability to not break a sweat when fighting imperials and runs away again. Of course, he runs away again when we catch him. Ever the stubborn one, Aggro continues to pursue rather than coming up with a new plan. She was only told to find him.

It's on the fifth time that something changes. We're entering a duty.

Soundtrack ends.

The Wailers are good. Strong. I was proud to join their ranks. Am proud. But... They do not provide. They preach justice, honor, duty. But in the end, it is those with money who do as they will. Who live as they will. ...So I sought an opportunity to change my fortunes, and took it. All I've done, I've done for money. Endangered myself, my home, everything and everyone I love...

Laurentius laughs.

New Music: Skullduggery

Laurentius beckons.

Garleans! I've brought the Roegadyn bitch!

Oh, I guess they've already taken notice of her.

Permit me a question, if you will. Are all adventurers so deluded as to believe they can challenge the power of Garlemald?

(Redbelly Gutter) So that's the way of it. Swapped your hard bunk at the Barracks for a feather bed in Garlemald, did ye? <spit>

It looks like Buscarron's name carries a lot of weight in the area, and it's gotten us some criminal allies.

The party unsheathes their weapons.

Music: Skullduggery

Your eyes betray your words, coward. You know full well the Wailers fear the Wasps' sting.

Laurentius will actually focus more on the Redbelly Stinger than anyone else in the party, so he can be left alone while Aggro burns down the Imperial allies. Reds go down first, and free pickings on the leftovers as usual here. They'll range anywhere from around 300 - 400 HP each. They're nothing.

There are three waves of Cohorts, each spawning in once the last is beaten. A Decurion will spawn in the second wave, sporting 1,725 HP. He's sort of a mini-boss, but he'll also focus on the Redbelly Gutter. The Decurion should be left until Laurentius is all that's left, since Aggro will take the heat on everything else. If things somehow get hairy, the Gutter will also heal.

After these trees drink your blood, I will see to it they are cut down and burned.

Show them what happens to those who oppose the Empire!

After a while, a group of Coeurlclaw Hunters--poachers--will spawn in. This is regardless of what wave you're on.

If this is a fight Buscarron wants won, then the Coeurlclaws will fight it.

How? Why!? You scum have no allegiances!

Once the third wave goes down, all that remains is giving Legless Laurentius a good beating. He's only got 4,743 HP to burn through.

He kind of blends in with the background while he falls.

Soundtrack ends.

...Ah, but I know the answer only too well. Buscarron. This is his doing. His words are wont to inspire men to act. Better men than I... Gods, what have I become? What have I done?

I... I am sorry. No more will I pursue this folly. No more lies. No more bribes. I will go to the Order of the Twin Adder and confess my crimes.

Laurentius leaves.

Aggro seems happy enough to trust this guy on blind faith. Oh, well.

On her way back to Buscarron, Aggro suffers from Heavy. I don't think I've mentioned it, but being attacked while on a mount will result in a chance of being afflicted with Heavy. It simply slows down your movement.

The lad's had quite a life, you know... His mother was killed by a brigand when he was only small. As a young man, he joined the Wailers, hoping to spare his fellow Gridanians the misery he'd known growing up. Trouble is, protecting Gridania's too big a job for one man, and he came to believe that he couldn't make a difference--that it was hopeless.

Well, it sounds like Laurentius really has had a change of heart. I wonder if he'll keep to it and try to protect Eorzea in the future?

But let us leave fates to the Twelve. I have other news for you, Aggro. The sylph elder has been found!

Finally! We'll get rescuing the Elder One next time, since it entails a full dungeon run. It'll also finally introduce a recurring villain in FFXIV.

Chapter Summary

Boss Fight
Sped up at parts.

Here's a lore dump from the update. (Incidentally, the lore banner is from a concept art of Upper La Noscea. We didn't get a chance to see the giant skeleton this time, but it should come up again.)

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

krisslanza posted:

I plan to cover it. I've been playing with the idea of doing it at base level when we get there, but that might be more trouble than it's worth for content nobody will be doing at base level anymore anyway. Either way, it's definitely too important to miss.

And speaking of missing something: I'll need to devote a little bit of time to show off the cross-class system before it's ripped forever from the game. That was being left for level 30, but I'm not sure Aggro will hit that before Stormblood comes out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What are the rules to come along for some of the content you cover in this LP? I'd like to get back into playing more before Stormblood hits.

Sgt Thud posted:

I will forever maintain that the fall of Dalamud and the way the devs handled it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen done in a game. Just slowly moving the moon closer and closer each patch and saying NOTHING about it. Then in the final days, just ominously hanging it in the sky with a distorted version of the main theme playing distantly in the background, overriding the normal area themes. It was downright chilling.

Then the actual ending, with what is probably one of the most amazing cutscenes in the franchise.

I think about this a lot. That cutscene and the creative way the devs shut down 1.0 is really one of the greatest things I've seen in gaming. I won't pretend to be some kind of ultimate gaming master, but it is the coolest poo poo to me.

EDIT: VVV I would also like to join the others in saying that I never forgot him. What an rear end in a top hat.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 15, 2017

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Oh Laurentius, you huge moron.

looking forward to seeing the dungeon run, though I can't exactly say its a particular favourite dungeon of mine...

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Ah, Laurentius. gently caress Laurentius. There is so much about this guy and all of it is just the worst. But that's a story for a day much further away. For now, the worst is (mostly) behind you.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

What are the rules to come along for some of the content you cover in this LP? I'd like to get back into playing more before Stormblood hits.

No real specific rules. I'll just announce in the thread when certain content is going to be run, and you can just feel free to message me. I won't be announcing when I do the next dungeon though, since I want to get in and clear it ASAP when the game's back online.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

There are five locations total, guarded by Kedtraps and a variation of Ochu. This can be a bit of a pain in the butt, but they actually aggro on sound. We can avoid fighting with them by walking past them. Conversely, running around will likely draw attention, even if they're facing away. Simple stuff.

AUGH NO WAY. I hated kedtraps so much running between here and Quarrymill, and had no idea that you could just walk to not get aggroed...

In fact, I had no idea 'aggro by sound' was something they brought over from FFXI, I thought everything aggroed by sight now!

... Was aggro by spellcasting brought over from FFXI too?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Gloomy Rube posted:

Only if you hit something with it. :v:

Someone did once tell me that elementals aggro by spellcasting, but I think they must have been thinking of FFXI or FFXII (or maybe 1.0?). I've never seen anything react to spellcasting in ARR.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Gloomy Rube posted:

AUGH NO WAY. I hated kedtraps so much running between here and Quarrymill, and had no idea that you could just walk to not get aggroed...

In fact, I had no idea 'aggro by sound' was something they brought over from FFXI, I thought everything aggroed by sight now!

I don't think by spellcasting. Far as I'm aware aggro in FFXIV works on only sight or sound. I think only dungeon-type things have that 'aggro by being nearby' thing in most games...
I could be mistaken.

CrashScreen posted:

I plan to cover it. I've been playing with the idea of doing it at base level when we get there, but that might be more trouble than it's worth for content nobody will be doing at base level anymore anyway. Either way, it's definitely too important to miss.

And speaking of missing something: I'll need to devote a little bit of time to show off the cross-class system before it's ripped forever from the game. That was being left for level 30, but I'm not sure Aggro will hit that before Stormblood comes out.

Clearly just gotta start cranking out updates every day and burn through it all before the end of June, right? :v:

Wordybird posted:

Ah, Laurentius. gently caress Laurentius. There is so much about this guy and all of it is just the worst. But that's a story for a day much further away. For now, the worst is (mostly) behind you.

The Doomhammer posted:

Oh Laurentius, you huge moron.

looking forward to seeing the dungeon run, though I can't exactly say its a particular favourite dungeon of mine...

I'm glad not only I have... fond... memories of Laurentius. It's weird. I did all this stuff like YEARS ago.
And I still remember (most) of it pretty vividly.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Zandar posted:

Only if you hit something with it. :v:

Someone did once tell me that elementals aggro by spellcasting, but I think they must have been thinking of FFXI or FFXII (or maybe 1.0?). I've never seen anything react to spellcasting in ARR.

I don't think elementals are aggroed by spellcasting, but sometimes they're connected to other mobs and will aggro if you attack that mob.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm genuinely surprised to Laurentius remembered so well. It took me until I was planning these updates last month to make the connection, but I have incredibly bad memory.

krisslanza posted:

Clearly just gotta start cranking out updates every day and burn through it all before the end of June, right? :v:

Sleep isn't too important, right?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah same. I sorta blocked out the minutiae of all.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This might impact the LP a little, so I figure I should mention it in here. The data center for the NA servers has been moved, and I'm located in Europe. If the ping isn't good enough, I'll probably need to server transfer over to an EU server. I'll be testing it out tomorrow and checking the consensus on the goon EU FC. If anyone was thinking of making a new character for the LP anytime soon, I'd wait a little bit.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
When it comes to Laurentius, it helps that I gunned through ARR's story and patch content in around a month, so things were still pretty fresh in my head regarding the earlier parts of the story by the time they came back to inevitably bite everyone in the arse. The joys of jumping on the bandwagon a patch or two before Heavensward ended.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
What's your system for making this LP anyway? It's been almost a full year since this thread started and you're at content that a normal player reaches maybe half a week in.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Eopia posted:

What's your system for making this LP anyway? It's been almost a full year since this thread started and you're at content that a normal player reaches maybe half a week in.

I'm going to guess you've never done a screenshot LP before.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Eopia posted:

Transcribe the dialogue from one of the cutscenes. Multiply that by the number of cutscenes this game has. It's loving soul crushing.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Hoo boy, knowing whats next and how it becomes the bane of the leveling roulette from here on out fills me with sick joy. Also disappointment.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SSNeoman posted:

Transcribe the dialogue from one of the cutscenes. Multiply that by the number of cutscenes this game has. It's loving soul crushing.

..I probably should have put a bit more thought into that. You have my most sincere condolences CrashScreen

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry that this update is taking so long again. I've been preparing some things for the changes coming to the game in like three weeks or so now, and some of those are bigger than I was expecting. I should have the next update posted sometime tonight.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXVII: Into the Beast's Maw
After the most unnecessary detour, Aggro is back on the search for the sylph elder. Cutting her search short, Buscarron already knows where to find her.

As all Scions have a built-in sensor for detecting plot progression, Yda and Papalymo decide to finally come inside. It's nice to not have to do all the busy work, huh?

After meeting the sylph, Papalymo is very sensitive towards how they're treated.

Yes, he's like a bridge between us and them--a small, leafy, green bridge that we can't find at the moment. And bridges are no use if you don't know where they are. That's why it's so important that we find him!

'Twas by the entrance to the place that Frixio was seen--and not long ago, neither. If you hurry, I reckon you'll find him.

Buscarron just straight up ignores Yda and Papalymo.

Walking ones, please help this one! This one needs help! Needs help to help elder one! Poor Frixio! Poor, poor Frixiooo!!!

Noraxia rushes into Buscarron's Druthers.

Elder one went into Toto-Rak, but has not returned! This one is worried, so very worried!

And you're right to be... The place fair crawls with nasties waiting to make a meal of anyone daft enough to wander in. What in the seven hells was he thinking, entering that bloody death trap?

Elder one had no choice! Imperial ones were chasing elder one! Please! Walking ones must help elder one--help elder one now!

Argh! The fates conspire against us... Forgive my pragmatism, but Frixio is our best hope of reaching an accord with the sylphs. Were we to lose him, all our efforts thus far will have been for naught. I will tend to her wounds, Yda, make haste to the Adders' Nest and request assistance.

For some reason, Papalymo won't even look at Yda.

Understood.

Aggro, that looks really painful on your neck. You probably shouldn't try to look directly at Lalafells anymore.

Soundtrack ends.

Well, now that we know Frixio is at the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, we should probably head there and find him. We can't put this off anymore. It's time for one of the most boring dungeons in A Realm Reborn.

The dungeon is located along the path where the South Shroud Ochu knock-offs were found. It's just north of a fork in the road towards Quarrymill.

To get access, Aggro only needs to speak to Bloisirant. Toto-Rak is a level 24 dungeon, meaning Aggro won't be synced down until she's above level 27. All the other dungeon rules apply, and I'll throw up the duty finder blurb in the lore bonus. I've gotten my party members set, so... here we go?

New Music: A Thousand Screams

This will be our first revisited 1.0 dungeon. I know I've mentioned that both Copperbell Mines and Tam-Tara Deepcroft were in 1.0, and Sastasha is almost essentially the 1.0 dungeon Shposhae, but that's a little different. Those were open-world dungeons that lacked almost any sort of identity, beyond that of the region they're set in. Other open-world dungeons were near-identical to them. Toto-Rak, however, was one of the four instanced dungeons of 1.0. Its design and structure still remains.

This is basically what the entire dungeon looks like. While most dungeons are usually split into three areas, each with its own boss and design, Toto-Rak is not. We're fortunate that the Tam-Tara Deepcroft was redesigned, because we'd have pretty much been in here before otherwise, sans the glowing fungus. The place is about as interesting as a Gelmorran Sewer.

Hindsight really suggests I should put my hotbars where the chat log would usually be. That might help reduce the clutter. At any rate, the design of the dungeon may change very little, but the enemies in each area are a little different. This is the Prison Pteroc. It has 2011 HP and dies easily.

Consortium technologist accompanying party believes them to be of Garlean design. Labels them "magitek photocells." Collect for further study.

There are notes scattered around, detailing a post-Calamity expedition team, looking to reclaim Toto-Rak. It turns out that aetheric levels were so high adventurers could only enter for 30 minutes, as opposed to the 90 of modern dungeons. There also appears to be Garlean instruments inside. These were placed as part of Nael van Darnus' plan to summon meteor, taking advantage of the aether.

The Mun-Tuy Sapling will look familiar. They're essentially just Kedtraps, except that they can apparently see us now. I don't know much about animal biology, but it seems strange that the Saplings can see even though they're deep, dark cave-dwellers. Whatever. It has 2011 HP and dies easily. Though they can cast a frontal cone AoE called Swiftdough that just knocks Aggro back. From a distance, it'll use Seedvolley, and at close range they'll use auto-attacks and Swiftdough. It'll do about the same damage regardless of range.

You'll notice that right next to it is a glowing green light. These aren't actually part of the scenery. Magitek Photocells will be used to access areas in the dungeon. Previously, they were used to access one of the three bosses, but I'll get to that in a moment.

Aggro picks up the Magitek Photocell.

Shortly after the first photocell is an optional room. It doesn't look suspicious at all.

Stepping past the webbed walls results in Aggro being sucked in, separated from the rest of her party. While the group attempt to cut open the sticky web (327 HP) now between them, three Cell Mites--scorpion-like spiders with 2011 HP--will spawn in. This is actually a neat little mechanic that shows up throughout the dungeon, but it eventually wears out its welcome and is all Toto-Rak really has going for itself.

The sticky web and Cell Mites die easily.

Aggro picks up the Magitek Photocell found in the room.

Let's get back to our regularly scheduled, boring dungeon. You may have wondered what happened to the treasure chest. The loot sucks. None of the treasure chests (sans boss chests) are worth anyone's time. That optional room is honestly best just skipped too. We won't even need that photocell.

First Spear Rydel, Toto-Rak Expedition Notes (Day 2).

Dramatic increase in light emitted by photocells observed upon collecting fourth. Dispatched two lancers to Gridania with orders to deliver the photocells to Stillglade Fane. Soon after their departure, received linkpearl transmissions from pair reporting marked reduction in photocell glow as distance from Maws increased. Recalled lancers.

There's already a split in the path shortly after the second note. Both paths lead the same way, but it's best to just follow our current path. We'll find some more diversity in the dungeon this way, and that's all that really matters at this point. There aren't even notes to be found in the alternative path. It really sucks.

First Spear Rydel, Toto-Rak Expedition Notes (Day 3).

Lancer downed attempting to breach what Ashcrown technologist calls a "magitek field." Technologist advises that there should be a device in the vicinity powering the barrier. No choice but to look for it. Divided party into four teams ot expedite search. Whisperings of discontent? No. Just my imagination.

Aggro levels up to 27 when she finds a third photocell. Back to the path we go.

The last stretch of our first third features a wall with glowing tree roots, as well as a Magitek Photocell and some Tainted Louses. They have, you guessed it, 2011 HP and die easily.

Aggro picks up the fourth magitek photocell.

First Spear Rydel, Toto-Rak Expedition Notes (Day 4).

Device located, but one team yet to return. Barrier terminal unresponsive until technologist suggests applying set of four photocells. How does he know these things? Watch him. Lancer suggests locating missing team. Decided to press on.

At last, we reach the first boss room. Notice that there's another Magitek Photocell in here, guaranteeing that we'd have the four needed to activate the Magitek Terminal, deactivating the barrier just slightly ahead of us. Of course, attempting to use the Terminal results in a boss spawn.

It's actually unfair to call the Coeurl O' Nine Tails (6,545 HP) a boss. It's weak, and about the only thing it can do is poison anyone nearby it. Those poisons can be cleansed off with Esuna. That's all there really is to this fight. The off-brand Ochu doesn't really hit very hard, and relies on the poisons to do the work for it. It's not really threatening since those can be kept at bay.

The loot it drops is a little bit better than what we got from Halatali, which makes sense given that we're in a higher level dungeon. Of course, the reward here is aetherial which isn't too hot, given the RNG nature. Still, I'd rather an extra point of Determination (tiny-rear end increase in damage) over parry (tiny-rear end increase in chance of 20% mitigation). Incidentally, Parry is getting stripped from the game real soon. They're apparently replacing it with Tenacity, which both increases damage dealt and reduces damage received. This is definitely a good thing for tanks.

And now the path is also unblocked. Let's continue onwards. As for the notes, that was the last of them. I guess the Coeurl O' Nine Tails managed to murder the expedition group, and the suspicious technologist likely died with them. It's implied that the technologist was a Garlean looking to recuperate the remains of their old camp before it fell into Eorzean hands, but that's all that can be inferred. It is true that the three Grand Companies sent adventurers to collect the scraps so the technology could be stolen in 1.0, though.

The next area is themed after a prison, if a prison was located inside the previously explored areas of the dungeon. There will occasionally be prison cells which may or may not contain a treasure chest with bad drops. Matching the theme are the new enemies with a new "Warden" prefix in their name. Surprisingly, these off-brand Ochu, Warden's Whip, have 2011 HP and die easily. That being said, they can actually inflict poison on anyone nearby with an AoE gas cloud. Each Whip can also inflict their own poison, allowing more than one to ail each member in the party. At some point in the dungeon, Aggro ends up with three different poison afflictions.

From here on, we'll get almost all of the remaining Photocells from killing groups of Warden's Whips.

Aggro picks up another Photocell.

In an attempt to make traversing the same environment for 20 minutes slightly more interesting, we'll now see some nasty looking growth dotted around the place.

As a last little detour, Aggro pops by the chamber found along an optional, southern path. I wanted to avoid wasting more time than necessary in here, so this is as close as I got to the doorway we can see in the distance. That door once lead to a boss chamber. See, the 1.0 version had three optional bosses, and you'd open up access to the room for the one you want to fight with the photocells. Each of the bosses were pretty much the same thing, and completing them would clear the dungeon and drop up to 5 chests depending on what you did during the dungeon. Only one actually stuck around for A Realm Reborn. Also, both enemies in this room have 2011 HP so you know the drill. Incidentally, did you know that Toto-Rak was added to 1.0 in 2011?

We're not missing out on much as the next room has a couple of Prison Puddings we have to fight anyway. They die easy. I'm pretty sure you see the pattern here. There isn't really anything to the monsters here, and even the bosses don't actually have any real mechanics outside of poison.

Another split in the path will show up, but there's no point traveling right. Well, unless you want experience points, but the game kind of gives you enough at this point anyway.

Another group of Warden's Whip drops the fourth and final Magitek Photocell. If we hadn't gone into that optional room at the start, then Aggro would need to find one more. There's a solution to that coming up.

Similarly, if we hadn't been in the first optional room then this would be the first time we'll have seen the web trap. There's no way to disarm it or avoid it. Instead, we need to be careful and make sure that as much of our party is with us as possible. This time, the other end of the path will also have a Sticky Wall we need to beat.

This one in particular leads to the boss room.

Our progress is stopped by another barrier, requiring Aggro to interact with the terminal once more. If we didn't have enough Photocells, then the party could explore the path to the left. It leads to a Photocell and a dead end with yet another Kedtrap variation, a Mitetrap. This time it's a blue plant that can cast Swiftdough. This is a frontal-cone AoE with a knockback and a poison. Slightly more deadly than the Mun-Tuy variant I guess.

The boss is a repeat of last time, except there are now adds to fight. To ease the burden on the healer, the DPS should draw away a Whip each. This avoids three stacks of poison spreading to each party member, instead leaving them all with a manageable one poison each. Beyond that, and the boss variant of Warden's Whip having 703 HP and an added Slow debuff instead of Poison, there isn't really anything new here.

Aggro and the party defeat the boss and activate the Magitek Terminal.

There is actually green equipment that can drop from the bosses. At the moment, the equipment is still split between Disciple of War (physical), Disciple of Magic (mage), and for some reason, tank and lancer.

It looks like Aggro slipped and lost her shield when another web trap caught her unaware. There are two remaining gimmicks to the dungeon, both continuing to slow down the party rather than challenge. The first is that green puddle beneath Aggro. While standing in it, we're afflicted with Heavy. The debuff is lost once we step off the puddle.

The second are those Fleshy Pods. Approaching them (basically, entering their aggro range) or attacking them will result in an explosion of poison gas. It's possible to prevent the poison gas from being released by dropping their HP to 0 quickly. I don't actually think this is possible in a level synced run though, since they have 595 HP. The only other option is to force them to explode while out of our range.

It's basically business as usual from there. There's still another optional room or two left, but they're also not worth entering. We've been able to reach the final boss without fighting an animated mushroom or lightning sprite, meaning that this was a pretty fast run.

I don't like to recommend you watch the video too often, since this is an SSLP and all, but I recommend this one if only to hear what the Ascian language sounds like. Also, spoilers, we're about to hear an Ascian speak in literally the next couple of screenshots.

It's been a while since we've seen one of these guys, and they're arguably one of the most significant figures in Final Fantasy XIV. Today, we'll finally be getting a little more personal with one.

Music: Without Shadow

There are actually two types of ascians, and this is the first time we're meeting one of this kind. The difference won't be clear until a specific job questline in Heavensward, so oh well! In any case, the meeting is making Hydaelyn go mental and we're now getting warning messages like some sort of alarm.

...With a countenance that bespeaks understanding. An intriguing power, the Echo. I must needs choose my words with care.

We're given yet another rare example of the Echo's power to live translate. I wish the Echo was built into all the live letters.

Since the ascian isn't sure about the accuracy of the localization, an issue that's been becoming a larger thing in videogames lately anyway, he decides to speak in whatever the native language of Eorzea is.

I am Lahabrea of the Ascians, servant to the one true god. Yours is a most fantastical tale. Truly absorbing. It is a tale to tell Eorzea's children before bedtime. And it will soon be dark, Bringer of Light.

...The Dark Minions...

All that stands between this world and darkness is an irksome anomaly in the aether--the Echo. Yes... yours is a most fascinating tale. Alas, like all good tales, it must needs come to an end. But fear not...

Lahabrea starts to work his dark magic on some of the Cell Mites crawling around nearby.

Hear... Feel... The presence... of evil...

Music: Nemesis

Lahabrea's magic casts the entire dungeon in darkness. It's actually considered its own weather effect, altering the lighting of the area as well as adding the smokey effect throughout it. It's a little neat.

Taking this opportunity to peace out, Lahabrea leaves us with the last remaining boss from 1.0: Graffias.

Okay, so technically none of the bosses stuck around after 1.0, but Graffias (10,948 HP) is fairly similar in design to the three before.

There's not actually too much to the Graffias fight. Around the arena is a heavy-inducing floor filled with Fleshy Pods. While Aggro tanks the boss in the middle, the party could clear out some of those pods. I would just ignore them. Our dps was actually high enough that we could forget about the mechanics of this fight, but I'll cover them anyway.

Occasionally, Graffias will pull out the easily-dodged Silkscreen, which is a rectangular AoE towards the front of the boss that just knocks you back. Alternatively, they'll target a random party member and drop a Sticky Web on them, spawning a Fleshy Pod on their position.

Two Comesmite (1,003 HP) spawned in when Graffias dropped below 75% HP. The DPS are meant to grab these and burn them down, but we just ignored them. Graffias had already dropped to 63% HP by time the adds reached Aggro. If you can't do comparable damage then leaving them alone might come back to haunt you. At the very least, the healer will hate the rest of you.

After the boss drops below 55%, its tail will lose skin and become targetable. While Graffias's Tail (1,338 HP) is a target, the boss will start using Deadly Thrust.

Deadly Thrust isn't good. Graffias will strike an area on the ground, spilling a poison all over it. Aggro has to reposition the boss wherever appropriate. DPS might also want to clear the pods near the narrow space left.

More Comesmite will spawn when Graffias drops below 30% HP. This leaves us with very little room: four adds, and a mostly ignored tail. Okay, so maybe we have to actually do one of the mechanics.

We decide to get rid of the obnoxious tail, which actually afflicts Graffias with a Vulnerability Down, ultimately increasing our damage output on the boss. Always destroy that tail. Additionally, our Thaumaturge decides to spread some Sleep on the adds so we can continue to ignore them. Back to burning Graffias. Again, ordinarily we should be murdering them too.

From there, we just absolutely destroy the boss with a combination of the melee Limit Break, Vulnerability Down, and healer damage. The boss just doesn't stand a chance.

Music: A Victory Fanfare Reborn

And with that, we've cleared The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak. May we never run it ever again. Next time, we'll meet Frixio and close off the Ramuh case for Gridania.

We've actually got a few things for the bonus this time. There's a bit of lore to share, including the old news article posted on the Lodestone to announce Toto-Rak's inclusion in 1.0, and a comparison of the 1.0 and ARR maps.

Chapter Summary

This is the 1.0 map. You can see where the old boss chambers were in, and the structure was more like a maze.

Meanwhile, the ARR design is more streamlined. I've heard that the early versions of A Realm Reborn, pre-beta, had an optional boss room that hasn't stuck around. I'm not surprised that they've made it much more linear after I've seen players still get lost in some of the near-corridor dungeons we have now.

Here's the duty finder entry because why not.

This version of the 1.0 release report comes courtesy of GamerEscape. They're good folks.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Toto-Rak being from 1.0 explains a lot. Maze-like dungeons are fun in theory, but even in the modern simplified Toto-Rak it often means backtracking with the rest of the party to find the last photocell. Mazes work much better in a single player game than an MMO, which the 2.0 team seems to realize.

That 1.0 news report is great!

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 31, 2017

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
This is probably my least favorite dungeon in all of FFXIV. Pointless side rooms that don't give you anything (except for the one at the start), boring aesthetic, puddles that make you go slower and boring bosses. Toto-rak is the main reason why I avoid doing the Low Level dungeon roulette, since I swear I have done this dungeon more than any other in this game :argh:

Also, I had forgotten that Lahabrea is the one who summoned Graffias. Why didn't he summon something more dangerous, or did he seriously believe that an overgrown scorpion was gonna stop a warrior of light?

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
I've only ever gone through Toto-Rak once, and that was when I first cleared it. To this day I dread the inevitable moment when it will come up in my levelling roulette.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm just glad that out of the dungeons I really hate, Toto-Rak was the only mandatory one. Not that I'll be skipping the other terrible ones anyway. Sadly, I don't think Toto-Rak is the worst vanilla dungeon?

Eopia posted:

..I probably should have put a bit more thought into that. You have my most sincere condolences CrashScreen

Honestly, writing the update only takes about 5 - 6 hours. The issue is everything else. In an MMO, you can't really gently caress up since a lot of the progress is permanent. I've had to go back and create a new character to get to a point where technical difficulties have happened a couple of times. A fair chunk of time is spent before I even get to record, too. I always look forward to dungeons because they can easily be done again, though I'll admit that Toto-Rak made me procrastinate pretty bad.

Carlioo posted:

Also, I had forgotten that Lahabrea is the one who summoned Graffias. Why didn't he summon something more dangerous, or did he seriously believe that an overgrown scorpion was gonna stop a warrior of light?

I feel like it's just his confidence in whatever power of darkness he wields.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

I'm just glad that out of the dungeons I really hate, Toto-Rak was the only mandatory one. Not that I'll be skipping the other terrible ones anyway. Sadly, I don't think Toto-Rak is the worst vanilla dungeon?

Personally I hate Sunken Temple of Qarn the most.
But that was because of one run with me and a friend, with PUG healer. I was tanking, and the healer would never heal. He was just DPSing. And the wasps all do Final Sting, so I was dying constantly, then the party wipes... and the healer still never healed... my friend tried to do pocket heals.

That dungeon took us like an hour. An hour of suffering and dying over and over.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah Toto-Rak is just not good. I get bummed whenever it pops up in LDR. Luckily, much like a future dungeon that I hate, it's actually a slope. Once you're past the first set of photocells, it's really not so bad. And the last stretch to Graffias is inoffensive.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah Toto-Rak is just not good. I get bummed whenever it pops up in LDR. Luckily, much like a future dungeon that I hate, it's actually a slope. Once you're past the first set of photocells, it's really not so bad. And the last stretch to Graffias is inoffensive.

Personally the last stretch is what upsets me the most. Suddenly there's just goo that slows you down and nothing else! At least collecting photocells is an active gimmick and can be kinda optimized, even if it is boring. The goo just slows you down, means nothing in the long run, can't be avoided and feels like really lazy design.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Carlioo posted:

Personally the last stretch is what upsets me the most. Suddenly there's just goo that slows you down and nothing else! At least collecting photocells is an active gimmick and can be kinda optimized, even if it is boring. The goo just slows you down, means nothing in the long run, can't be avoided and feels like really lazy design.

Furthermore, I think the squelching sound of the goo has been permanently burned into my brain.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It was either Toto-Rak or Qarn, but my first time through as a mage, I got separated from the group and accidentally aggro'd a ton of monsters. They don't de-aggro when you run away in dungeons, so I just ended up running back and forth waiting for someone to help, but they just kicked me out instead. I probably deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The next update will probably finally be up tomorrow. Since there's big changes coming, there won't be another story update for a couple of weeks. I've got a gold saucer post ready for some of that downtime, and I'll have another to cover the changes that impact us at this point in the LP.

I'm almost done grabbing footage of all the jobs in their current state, so I'll be able to do something about the changes in the future too.

Also, Aggro will also be transferring to Omega once it's available, if that affects anyone.