Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Alright cool, I'll stop the voting at that. I'll get the footage tonight and have Aggro's Coerthan adventure posted over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Just checking in to say this is cool, and so are you. Thank you for presenting the game so well.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I know an LP of this game is probably a lot of work, but I just wanted to say I hope it's not dead. I've been really enjoying this kind of retrospective.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, sorry about that. It's not dead. I've just let time slip away after my goldfish had fry and we had a series of weekend testing at work. I kind of wanted to avoid posting about it being late as always and just drop it in here, but it's been way too long and time keeps slipping.

Good news: I'm on my first stretch of annual leave in what feels like forever so I'm just going to hammer some of these out. I've been working on finishing up the current update today, so it should be up over the next few hours.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Good luck, we're almost through the main story too!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter 69 Side B: Observatorium & Skyfire Locks Sidequests

Hey, everyone. It's been a while. When we last left Aggro, we'd made some progress on our quest to find the Enterprise after she'd made contact with Ser Haurchefant. While he gathers info for us, Aggro has a bit of free time. Now is probably a good window to learn a little bit about Ishgardian culture.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 15, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CrashScreen posted:

Jesus gently caress, what even is that thing?

Final Fantasy XIV monsters in a nutshell.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Final Fantasy XIV monsters in a nutshell.

Actually, these particular monsters are re-purposed from FF12! :eng101:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That's the video uploaded, so anything I've trimmed or cut can be found there as usual. Now, onto the next update for me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I, too, and glad this LP is still going, since I will probably never end up playing XIV. Aggro spends a lot of time off locating corpses, it seems.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MMO questlines in a nutshell really

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I'm missed a few updates, but add me to lsit of people glad to see this continuing.

I still feel sad for Noraxia, and it's a shame that token friendly Beastmen were never really utilized in the Scions much after this, as far as the MSQ itself goes. Though I think Stormblood did do a good attempt to rectify that though.

Also...Seeing Alphinaud come in and basically treat the fact we just witnessed a massacre so casually with a "welp, time to replenish the ranks, need your help, Cid!" Is... really messed up. Like, seriously. It really kind of puts into perspective his later attempts to fill up the ranks for him, and why they ended up the way they did.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I was planning to post an update this weekend but there's been a family emergency sort of situation. I nearly finished the update, but I'm going to take this week off doing anything and get back to it next week. We should be able to get a couple of weeks of updates before I'm out of country for about a month.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
No worries, CS. Take all the time you need. Hope things are okay.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It's cool. Thanks for the update.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXX: The Talk of Coerthas

After a long time, the levelling curve had finally caught up to us. Taking a bunch of side quests to reach level 37, Aggro can finally get some information from Haurchefant on the whereabouts of Cid's Enterprise. That should allow us to finally take on the Primal Garuda.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 15, 2019

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry that one took a while. The next update won't be until late June either, since I'll be out of country until then. The good news is that'll be when the story gets more eventful again, so hopefully the wait'll be worth it. Incidentally, I'll be in Japan, so if I get time to hit up the Eorzea Cafe or anything I'll share some photos.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

That Feral Croc always look like SCP 682 to me for some reason. Also, ah yes, the level gaps. I know they're supposed to show passage of time, but I always just found them annoying.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks for pushing this out. I'm very jealous of your travels, I must say.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I am loving this LP because my experience with ARR and 2.x content was "HOLY loving poo poo SKIP EVERY BIT OF STORY I JUST WANT TO GET TO THE GOOD PART AAAAAA"

I genuinely did not process any of the story until the crystal braves and even then it was only like 15% and only because people told me that alphinaud getting a powerful dose of comeuppance improved his character a lot.

So yeah this LP is great and I appreciate you keeping it going so that I don't have to replay the MSQ by myself (at least until ShB streamlines it)

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm back and we'll be resuming this soon, but I'll first be preparing a mini update to cover the changes tomorrow's update will bring. For those not in the know, the next expansion—Shadowbringers—is beginning its early access on Friday and the game is currently undergoing maintenance for it. There will be a few changes that will affect the LP, many retroactively.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh no, you're on Aether now. I can't help with the LP. :(

Well, actually, I guess I could use my alt.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, no. I'm on Omega on Chaos. Where did you see that I was still on Aether? It's probably just somewhere I forgot to update when I transferred.

Also, uhh... I've still not finished the new Shadowbringers expansion yet but it's certainly invoking a lot of hindsight. It's going to change how I handle post-credits in A Realm Reborn I think. I'm near the end, and then I'll get started on that update about changes before I continue the LP. I hope that those of you playing it have been enjoying it. I actually love it so far.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't have an alt on Chaos, so that's even worse. :negative:

It's fun to see how expacs change the availability of your skills during this LP, though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

Oh, no. I'm on Omega on Chaos. Where did you see that I was still on Aether? It's probably just somewhere I forgot to update when I transferred.

Also, uhh... I've still not finished the new Shadowbringers expansion yet but it's certainly invoking a lot of hindsight. It's going to change how I handle post-credits in A Realm Reborn I think. I'm near the end, and then I'll get started on that update about changes before I continue the LP. I hope that those of you playing it have been enjoying it. I actually love it so far.

Shadowbringers was amazing and I really hope that this LP gets to it so that we can show it off to non-players :allears:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that the game has improved a lot during the time I´ve read this LP. Since I have a fulltime job and being a parent I simply don´t have time to play an MMORPG seriously anymore, so I wonder just how feasible is it to play this as (mostly) a single player RPG?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that the game has improved a lot during the time I´ve read this LP. Since I have a fulltime job and being a parent I simply don´t have time to play an MMORPG seriously anymore, so I wonder just how feasible is it to play this as (mostly) a single player RPG?

It is totally viable. Outside of the required dungeons and trials which are all generally easy enough that they can be cleared in 1-2 attempts you can do almost everything on your own. Once you reach the end you can just choose to let your sub lapse for a few months until new content is added, which is what I did for a large chunk of the last expansion.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sylphosaurus posted:

It should work just fine, as other people have suggested, and the new expansion's dungeons have a feature that you can run them solo (the trials do not though, so those still require other people around).

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It should be noted that there are 3 jobs which you will be required to level grind if you want to use them during the main story: mechanist, dark knight, and astrologian. Otherwise you could do the entire game by just doing main story quests and sidequests to level up and play it almost entirely solo, since you can pick up every other job at a level that its relevant at and easy to keep pace with.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Ok, thanks for the info, everyone. I´ll probably have a look if there´s some freeplay available and try it out.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Ok, thanks for the info, everyone. I´ll probably have a look if there´s some freeplay available and try it out.

There is a trial for free up to level 35 in all classes/jobs. Unlimited time as well!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Silegna posted:

There is a trial for free up to level 35 in all classes/jobs. Unlimited time as well!
Alright, guess all I have to do is decide between the PC or the PS4 version then.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Shadowbringers Update

Hey all! Sorry that it's been a while. Final Fantasy XIV's latest expansion, Shadowbringers, has had me pretty busy keeping up and trying out the new things. I've not even had time for Judgment and I've been hyping for that game like crazy. Now that most of that dust has settled for me, let's explore what these changes mean for the LP going forward. I can't believe it's this time already.

Obviously, our title screen has changed but once again, I'll be avoiding the opening cutscene. Spoilers and all that.

Back where we left off in the game, our job UI element has changed a little. We'll get to that in a minute. First...

Aggro has already lost a fair few actions. As more abilities get added to the game, hotbars tend to get bloated. The result is generally a large cull of unnecessary actions, or some abilities being folded into others. Jobs up until level 50 will probably feel the cull the most, and there will be a lot less actions for us during the remainder of the A Realm Reborn campaign. We'll talk about Paladin stuff at the end.

There's also a rather large tank change. DPS stances have been removed from all three pre-Shadowbringers tanks. Additionally, tank stances have also been changed. They no longer result in a damage dealt penalty, but also don't offer any mitigation bonuses or anything else. They exist simply to enhance the amount of enmity generated for tanking. This is so effective that I don't feel players will need to focus very much on enmity at all. Just hit things and enemies will be glued to you. Which is good, because enmity bonuses have been removed from almost all of our actions, including the Rage of Halone combo.

This is the game continuing to establish its focus more on enemy mechanics than the player's own. Each job will still have things to work with (I mean, the job UI elements ensure that), but there's a trend towards reducing individual micromanagement, I guess?

Worth noting is that tanks get a trait that reduces damage received by 20% instead. Traits also influence the impact attributes have, with the tank trait increasing damage dealt based on Strength and HP gained by Vitality. Also, both blocking and parrying have become a bit weaker. Parrying is now a flat 10% damage received reduction instead of 20%. Blocking varies since Block Strength affected it, but its effectiveness has been reduced all the same. It'll still have value though, and can still reach the 20%+ mark.

Back to more broad Shadowbringers changes, TP has been removed and MP has been revamped. We can now spam AoE attacks without concern. Also, MP will now forever be capped at 10, 000. To match this change, the secondary attribute Piety will now just increase the value of MP recovered each server tick (~2.97s).

Because I'm lazy and I'm not search and waiting for an interruptable enemy, here's a screenshot from the patchnotes. They've added a new UI change to make actions that can be interrupted easier to identify. The box around an enemy's cast bar means you can interrupt it.

This plays into the new function of Interject—previously an ability which inflicted Silence. Interject can be used on any enemy action surrounded by the new UI element box, preventing it from succeeding. The timing on it also appears to be a little bit relaxed since I've been able to use it on spells with a cast time so fast I thought I missed it. Currently, only tanks, ranged DPS and Blue Mages can interrupt.

Overall, the dev team have settled on how to handle Role Actions. Role actions are just abilities we'll learn as we level that any other job in the same role would learn. There's no customisation or anything anymore. Just a simple way to not have four versions of Provoke or Rampart while also avoiding the flaws of the original cross-skill system—being forced to level a specific job for its ability.

Probably the most interesting new role action for tanks would be Arm's Length. For Aggro, it replaces her Paladin's Tempered Will as a knockback-prevention ability, but also worth noting is the +20% Slow when attacked. This makes it a pretty good defensive buff when fighting a large group of enemies. You won't be taking nearly as much damage when this is active.

I believe it's possible for other jobs at Aggro's level to have charged attacks, but this is a new mechanic introduced by Shadowbringers. Actions can carry charges that allow them to be used again. You can accrue a charge by waiting the full duration of its cooldown. Basically, it's like being able to stock up extra uses of an action for each period of cooldown you wait, up to a limit.

Uhhh... let's see. This one is probably easier with an example. Consider an ability with a 60 second cooldown before we can use it again, but it can also carry 2 charges. That means I could use it twice at the start of a fight, and again once after 60s or twice if I wait 120s instead. You just stock an extra use for the action instead of the cooldown timer completely stopping after you get it back.

Outside of tanks, there has been a change to how pets work. They no longer have actions, cannot be targeted and do not take damage. They're now effectively a part of the regular toolkit. I still don't know how Summoners and Scholars feel about the change, so I'm looking forward to those players posting their opinions in the thread.

The party bonus has also changed too. We used to get a bonus to our attributes based on the jobs in the party, but instead we'll now receive a +1% bonus on all attributes for each unique role in the party. Since there's only 5 roles, the bonus caps at +5% on all attributes.

Alright, let's talk about Paladin. For a start, the rewards for our job quests have changed. At level 30, Paladins receive Spirits Within instead of Shield Oath (with Shield Oath now renamed to Iron Will and being handed over at level 10). It's 370 potency ability, meaning it can be weaved between our regular global cooldown combo actions, without missing a beat, for some devastating (by early tank standards) damage. Spirits Within has an unfortunate flaw: it gets weaker the lower health you have, scaling to your % health. It's also probably one of the reasons tanks get Interrupt, since Paladins used to be able to do Silence mechanics back when this ability had Silence.

Sheltron replaces Sword Oath as our level 35 job quest ability, though it was originally a Heavensward (level 51 - 60) ability. For four full seconds, Aggro will be guaranteed to block anything coming her way. The recast timer is short, allowing us to use it almost immediately after it wears off—provided we have the 50 Oath Gauge points required.

On that note...

Previously, our job gauge only revealed whether Aggro was in Shield Oath or Sword Oath (the latter of which is now gone, RIP Sword Oath). We now have a gauge that'll fill up by 5 points for every auto-attack. This is actually a later mechanic we were going to get anyway, though it used to increase every time we blocked too. At the moment we can only spend it on Sheltron, but we'll get another couple of actions post-A Realm Reborn.

With Paladin job changes out of the way, let's look at the abilities we actually learn as we level from the Gladiator class Paladin draws from.

A really big and noteworthy change is the removal of Flash. No longer will Paladins have to be concerned with MP for now. Instead, Flash has been replaced by the Stormblood-introduced Total Eclipse which can now be acquired at level 6.

As far as our LP will be concerned, it's going to be functionally the same except with damage. Aggro will retain her 360 degree range when using it, allowing us to be a little bit less concerned about positioning during a pull.

Our last, main noteworthy change for Gladiator/Paladin is the removal of Savage Blade. It was our second hit in our 3-action combo. Riot Blade now leads into Rage of Halone, resulting in a Fast Blade -> Riot Blade -> Rage of Halone combo instead. Riot Blade also now no longer restores MP now that Paladins don't have a use for the resource for now., and enmity generation is no longer an action bonus outside of Shield Lob, so this change makes a lot of sense.

And that's all that I can recall for Shadowbringers changes. We've dropped abilities here and there too, like Convalescence is gone and such, but there isn't anything else major affecting the LP right now. If you're curious about Job Action changes, you can go ahead and check Square-Enix' own page. Each action has a Revision button that'll let you view how it's changed since Stormblood.

Oh, also! We've got two new jobs: Gunbreaker (Tank) and Dancer (Physical Ranged DPS). I'll comment on them either when I can unlock them or when we see them in game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Ah, honestly, keeping up with game updates is a growing concern with the LP. There's a lot of stuff they've retroactively made redundant or incorrect that I feel compelled to change. From this point forward, I'm probably going to discuss jobs and abilities we acquire from leveling up as separate bonus updates. It makes more sense than having to redo the actual main update to tweak comments about combos or other job-specific mechanics that will undoubtedly change in the future.

I could probably just keep newly learned actions and stuff to the job/class quest updates as well, to be honest. Anyone got a preference?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

Ah, honestly, keeping up with game updates is a growing concern with the LP. There's a lot of stuff they've retroactively made redundant or incorrect that I feel compelled to change. From this point forward, I'm probably going to discuss jobs and abilities we acquire from leveling up as separate bonus updates. It makes more sense than having to redo the actual main update to tweak comments about combos or other job-specific mechanics that will undoubtedly change in the future.

I could probably just keep newly learned actions and stuff to the job/class quest updates as well, to be honest. Anyone got a preference?

I feel like addendum posts are the best way to go forwards without driving yourself mad retrofitting the rest of the LP.

Also, hot tip, I don't think Piety affects non-healers.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Just mention abilities when they come up/you reach them. I think that’s more organic.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't discuss the gameplay at all because all these gauges and various resources and mechanics make my head hurt.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, I don't blame you. It kind of gets dropped on you when the patches re-order it all but learning it from 0 is usually smooth.

Essentially, you have MP and HP as the only main resources. You know the drill with those and everyone has those. Each job also had their own unique mechanics. Paladin just builds up a gauge with their auto-attack (5 points a hit), and that can be spent on defensive actions. Nothing else matters for Aggro right now.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I hope that it´s o.k if I ask another newbie question? What´s a decent/fun/interesting class to start out as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sylphosaurus posted:

I hope that it´s o.k if I ask another newbie question? What´s a decent/fun/interesting class to start out as?

On some level they're all interesting, but running it down...

If you want to see the biggest numbers, play Thaumaturge.
If you want to be able to reposition freely while you attack, play Archer.
If you want to heal, play Conjurer.
If you want a little of everything, play Arcanist.
If you want to be hitting buttons as often as possible, play Pugilist.

I never actually played much Gladiator, Lancer, or Marauder so I can't speak for them.