Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow, I remember this LP. I had a bunch of stupid questions and I hesitated. Here we are years later and I've got the expansion. If you looked at it based on play times, I've probably played FFXIV as much as some of my all time favorite games. Funny how things come full circle. Crash, I believe I owe you some gratitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Maybe the masked man plays on console, so he can't play and type at the same time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wish I had been around for 1.0. Not for very long since it was clearly not good, but just for the end. Cutscenes and YT videos don't do it for me. I can't imagine how surreal it must've been to be playing when a meteor crashes into the planet and wipes the server out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's interesting comparing the start in Uldah to what I experienced in Limsa Lominsa. They're a lot more similar than I would've expected.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

apostateCourier posted:

Always do your class quest first.

Seriously, you will want the new skills.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Aldis is a cool dude. I like his sword. Also, for new players, Crash is not kidding. You will end up in Eastern Thanalan a LOT. There will be a stretch of the game where it's in your best interest to star it. It'll save you quite a bit of gil.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really like Gaius. As you pointed out, he really does believe he's doing the right thing. The best heels are the ones who are doing what they think is right, but the way they're doing it is just scummy enough for them to be definitively the bad guys. I also think it's hilarious that the Garlean plan was to bring in a giant ship that they were sure would win only for fuckin dragons to come outta nowhere and completely blow that plan to poo poo. How on Earth do you account for Midgardsormr running in?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I did it and now my catboy is the blue Power Ranger. I am so very pleased with this development. The FATE part of the quest wasn't fun, but I attribute that to doing it within like an hour of the quest being available.

Was the moon drop really part B? I read it as more of the exclamation point on van Darnus' crazy rear end scheme.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That's a neat tidbit about 1.0. Could you jump from the Aftcastle to the aertheryte in Limsa? I've always wanted to do that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm glad you'll have friends to do dungeons with you in the future. That run of Sastasha looks painful.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Aggro's victory animation looks pretty great. Catpeople wiggle their ears. Which is way more cute than it is badass.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is there any particular reason you still need to unlock Rogue instead of having it from the jump?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You know, Final Fantasy 8 Carbuncle actually did cause memory loss. You might be onto something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had no idea this game had constellations in the sky. This game is amazing. There's always something tucked away in the corners. I mean, granted the sky is hardly a secret, but I've never looked up there.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've never played the job in question, but I did recognize the constellation name and put two and two together. I'd still say that's pretty cool.

Fister Roboto posted:

The remaining moon, Menphina, also goes through phases. One lunar cycle is 32 days (the basis of the Eorzean calendar), or about 38 hours in real time.

Now you're just seeing how gullible I am. Next you'll tell me the game has solar eclipses or something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The lore in this game is great because it's so much bigger than it really has to be. The extra work shows passion. I think of all the hours I've played and there's still metric tons worth of stuff that I know literally nothing about. Every bit of the game has flavor text and detail and lore bits tucked away in a way that's inviting if you care and easy to ignore if you don't. Speaking of, are you guys gonna show off the journal when it has stuff of note?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Minfilia is so pushy. "Hopefully you'll come to think of us as friends" makes sense. Y'know, more than colleagues or fellow beast slayers or whatever you wanna call it. Family though? That's a leap hon, settle down, it's been an hour.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still can't believe they named a character Ermegarde. Being a rogue was great for those kinds of missions. Who has time to fight all of those enemies when they won't even be worth good exp?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The entire concept of tempering is so depressing. I know the Amalj'aa are lizards and hiss and all that, but they remind me so much of Kimahri from 10.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Trials are great. Just you, your friends, and the big bad boss. Primals are something I look forward to every time.

Schwartzcough posted:

So CAN you actually escape via the waterway, or is that just flavor text and you have to hang out until the boss battle?

I'm sure there are tons of reasons as to why (beyond allowing freedom), but the first that jumps to my mind is that you'd need to be able to repair your gear. You'd have a tough time beating Ifrit with a broken sword!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This bit of lore is where I actually began appreciating the plot of the game. There's a bit more about why the primals are bad for us to discover, but learning that the tempering process is irreversible was enough to make me perk up my ears. It would've been really easy for the game to just say "Beating the monster frees the people" and then we move on with no consequences. Now, even though it's only happened to a bunch of no-name NPCs, there is always a sense of urgency to fighting these guys.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Alphinaud acts like a brat for sure, but ultimately I think he's right.

Also til sea swallows all. Maelstrom is the only correct choice.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm going with Boco mostly cause I don't get the reference.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm so thankful I had Hide to get through segments like these. So much walking. Rage of Halone is probably the first GLD skill that looks really cool and I wish there were more skills like it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What are the rules to come along for some of the content you cover in this LP? I'd like to get back into playing more before Stormblood hits.

Sgt Thud posted:

I will forever maintain that the fall of Dalamud and the way the devs handled it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen done in a game. Just slowly moving the moon closer and closer each patch and saying NOTHING about it. Then in the final days, just ominously hanging it in the sky with a distorted version of the main theme playing distantly in the background, overriding the normal area themes. It was downright chilling.

Then the actual ending, with what is probably one of the most amazing cutscenes in the franchise.

I think about this a lot. That cutscene and the creative way the devs shut down 1.0 is really one of the greatest things I've seen in gaming. I won't pretend to be some kind of ultimate gaming master, but it is the coolest poo poo to me.

EDIT: VVV I would also like to join the others in saying that I never forgot him. What an rear end in a top hat.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 15, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah Toto-Rak is just not good. I get bummed whenever it pops up in LDR. Luckily, much like a future dungeon that I hate, it's actually a slope. Once you're past the first set of photocells, it's really not so bad. And the last stretch to Graffias is inoffensive.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wasn't sure exactly what to expect with the speed boost, but it's great. Super noticeable.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Oh, Little Ala Mhigo NPCs. If only they knew.

I'm boring, so my glamour game usually just consists of a different set that I think looks nice. Anything to avoid a hodgepodge of different sets making me look a mess like poor Aggro.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You would think there would be some very serious consequences for what Wilred did. Even though he was unsuccessful, it still feels like attempted murder. Attempted tempering? Attempted doing the bad thing?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like I remember getting my job stone to be really fun, but I also know a lot of people hate the upcoming part of the game and that level 30 jobs aren't really too exciting. So I'm curious to see if my memory is right or if I'm just nostalgic for ARR.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
ARR is definitely inferior to Heavensward and Stormblood, but I think the amount of a slog that it is gets a little overblown. I don't remember this next bit blowing me away from a gameplay stance, but I also wasn't forcing myself to get through it. I didn't even have HW at the time and it was before I transferred to Excal. So it was mostly me as a solo dude playing a Final Fantasy game and it's really not that bad. I'm of the opinion that FFXIV at its worst is still pretty good.

I think you should show PvP. Stormblood made it pretty fun in my opinion. I agree with Fister that you should probably leave out the newest mode though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Having a healer is so helpful that I never even considered the other two paths.

I remember not minding PLD from 30-50, but the 50-60 stuff wasn't very good at all. Jenlyns is just an unfortunately boring dude.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I completely forgot where Brayflox's Longstop fit in the story even though I know the levels match up. It's very strange to think of her as someone who fought and beat Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The rest of those fellows I didn't really pay any attention to, but poor Liavinne. I remembered he group pretty well.