Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
My favorite technically lore appropriate name was the one it shows when it was still loading in a player. Been a while since I played, so I'm afraid I've forgotten it. Confuses the heck out of people though because they still think you're loading in, but no, that's just your name. I know it followed the verb-noun format.

I kind of went on an FF14 hiatus a ways back, might just get back into the game soon. Which server were you playing on, again? Was it the main goon one of Excalibur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

I'm pretty down with changing race if everyone's voting for me to do that too. The change might take a little longer, since I've got a bit of extra footage from before the hiatus. We can pretend that's due to the one month subscription veteran reward, right?

The next update is going to be short like this one, since it's just a self-contained gladiator quest. I might just post it in the middle of the week, so I'll let voting continue after that update.

I'm playing in the sever equivalent of the sticks. It's nice and quiet for a thing like this, and I have friends there to help, but I heavily recommend you play most of your game on Excalibur. I've got a character on there as well, even if I'm not on it much. You'll be able to get groups for full party content way easier.

I wasn't about to abandon my existing, if now rather dusty, character on Excalibur. I was just going to volunteer to to help out with dungeons during the LP and such if you did happen to be there.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

SkyTalon2314 posted:

It doesn't help that there is a Meta right now where healers are expected to put out as much DPS as humanly possible. Go to the subreddit, for instance, and you get healers getting into a circle jerk about how low health they'll let their tanks get before deciding they deserve a heal. Or tanks who if a healer actually doesn't DPS, they'll stop using abilities other than Flash. Because clearly if the healer isn't putting 110% into their job, then why should the tank?

The level of entitlement is appalling, to be honest. While, yes, FFXIV is one of the easier MMOs to heal, it is still a sucky place for healers who have to not only micromanage the party's health, but also try to output as much damage as they can. And honestly? Not everyone's up to it, not everyone's always in the mood to. The entitled people talk about how much time a healer DPSing can bring. About 5m off the completion time of a 30m dungeon. Healer DPS should be thought of as a treat, a sign you have a good, energetic healer and a competent tank who doesn't die 5 seconds into the trash pull.

I honestly supported Square Enix taking Accuracy off of healing gear to try and stamp down this community-required meta. Though, a problem was that at the time of doing this, one of the two dungeons they released required (or at least really encouraged) healers to help out DPSing down mechanics in the bosses, leading to an outcry and nerfing of dungeon accuracy requirements. To be fair, bosses in 4-man dungeons are rarely that healing intensive, it's the trash pulls that are lethal to tanks, usually. And I would absolutely support Bane, Holy, and Gravity being removed or reworked to not be AOE skills so that healers aren't being pressured into doing something they're not really supposed to.

Of course, I've also been on the reverse of this. As a Scholar, a class that is highly overpowered right now, to the point where I don't need to push buttons to heal decently, I got a tank who's first words to me where, "Cawti. Don't DPS. Just heal." So I did. Because I had nothing to do during boss fights because of this, I just used /sit next to the tank. At the end of the dungeon he told me off for "tanking <him> so literally." I am not sure how else to interpret "Don't DPS, just heal."

The amount of difference a healer that puts in the time to stance dance can make when the DPS are garbage, which is very often, becomes considerably more than 5 minutes (not that I'd really scoff at 5 minutes. That adds up over time). The game would also have to have considerable paradigm shift for doing nothing but healing to not be mind numbingly boring at present.

Also, the only time I've ever seen someone whine about DPSing as a healer (either in favor of or against) was a ninja who apparently was so deathly opposed to healers doing DPS that they proceeded to get naked and equip a low level weapon and then promptly get kicked from the group and be replaced in seconds. I really don't know what they were expecting to happen. All in all, FF14 has a pretty passive population though, you have to be some truly heinous garbage to be called out as any role. "Honest Healers" do get quietly judged though, and rightly so, since it's downright lazy. Some basic stance dancing isn't exactly onerous to pull off and no one is expecting top tier perfect DPS out of a duty finder healer.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Silegna posted:

The amount of times I've forgotten to turn that off, or think I have it on so I can DPS, then DPS out of Cleric, and heal in Cleric...

I will admit to doing this periodically. Thankfully, it just results in a bit of confusion on my part before recovering rather than any actual trouble. Also the dreaded accidental double-click.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's the market, known here as Hawker's Alley. Not pictured: a dozen bots sending me tells offering cheap gil, handwork guaranteed.

I'd like to see those creepy bots parodied at some point with a set of identical looking THMs that all spoke in unison. And maybe tried to sell you things.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Don't worry Roboto, you're not alone in finding K'lyhia annoying. I'm surprised to find so many sympathizers to such an obnoxious old personality gimmick.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Yep, and one of the most noticeable ones is for male catgirls male seekers of the sun. For them, all of the surnames the randomizer gives you are either "Tia" or the occasional "Nunh". The latter shouldn't be available if you ask me, though.

There's a lalafell NPC somewhere named Memedesu. 100% lore-friendly!

My favorite lore compatible lalafell name was something like "Popoto poto" or something along those lines (context: popoto is the Eorzean equivalent to a potato. Lalafell are often derisively/jokingly called potatoes amongst the playerbase)

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Hellsguard names are almost always fantastic. There's a player on Excalibur named Yellow Snow. Perfectly lore-friendly!

I'm surprised I never saw a Roe Ninja named Solid Snake, come to think of it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

The latest patch introduced an NPC named Raging Ox. He's not a pugilist, though.

He is amazing is what he is.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Tae posted:

Glamour locked behind level 50 is the most disappointing thing. I understand kinda why, because they want players to see all the different types of armor but some are just really bad (See: rogue with nothing but bondage gear in the middle 30's).

That awkward time around level 44 where everyone is basically running around in their underwear.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Nebrilos posted:

I played this game until level 50 and beat the (level 50 spoilers)plot dungeon for that level but I just lost interest due to all of the fetch quests. I mean, sure, at level 4 they send you to pick some oranges, and I don't mind that, but at level 50 people are calling you the savior of Eorzia, and you still have to personally bring some lady's earrings to be repaired (and then to a favor for the goldsmith who repairs them). Can't they get someone else to do it? All of the content in Heavensward is gated behind these fetch quests.

Also, they made the (level 50 spoilers)final confrontation with Ultima Weapon be an 8-person raid that is part of the random queue. The only way to experience the content is to queue for it and I ended up with a bunch of speedrunners collecting tomestones who dashed through it and mulched the bosses before I had even finished watching the cutscenes. Doesn't really make for a good climax to the story.

I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't.

They learned their lessons from that and were much better in everything after it though. For example, mid-dungeon cutscenes no longer happen after that point. Though experiencing things as not a steamroll will still require you to have some buddies, otherwise you'll get folks from the roulette who tend to massively outgear the content (though sometimes they're awful enough at the game that it balances out).

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't wait to show off what Freddie's going to be wearing at level 45.

Looking forward to it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I believe you meant to say that Tataru is the best character.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

yeah it's odd in hindsight, and probably a writers flub. I can only provide conjecture here, but if I had to come up with a reason to justify it I'd say Lahabrea's been stalking the main character for a while and headed them off in Toto-Rak to test them personally.

Also going back to the discussion about Primal Tempering, Papalymo's now mentioned something out loud I was a bit cagey about mentioning before for fear of spoilers: The way Tempering works is that the Tempered take on attributes of the Primal that claimed them. Tempering is never subtle because Primals aren't subtle, but not all tempering produces the same traits.

Yeah, Lahabrea is exactly the type of hammy villain who keeps sending minor nuisances of increasingly greater strength at you rather than actually just annihilating you like he is fully capable of at any point along the way.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

I wanted to post just to say that I haven't forgotten about this. A lot's been going on, but I've already got an update that's nearly finished. It should be up sometime over the next couple of days. Sorry about the inactivity!

SB came out relatively recently still, I don't blame you for being a mite bit distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

So, in an effort to avoid having too many updates on the one page, I figured I'd ask my question now before I finish the next update. We will unlock a few things and, most importantly, introduce the job system. After that, we can continue with the main story, but I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in getting a look at PvP too? Stormblood shifted the three PvP modes to level 30, so they're actually available now. I can't give a super in-depth look or anything, but I think they're fun and interesting enough to show off at some point. There's a really loose story context for two of them, so it's up to you all if we touch on it now or later.

Also, if there's any PvP regulars in the thread then it could be fun to work on the update together, regardless of when we actually get to it.

I did 200 Feast wins for a flying segway. That mostly just means I hate myself though.

Feast is interesting but good luck getting a team with competent people. You also cannot communicate with each other with any capacity, so if you think you can helpfully explain anything, think again. Also, half your matches, your team will have no healers and the other one will and you will get curbstomped. I won exactly one game ever in that scenario and it was a miracle of incompetence from the other team.

That said, I could try and give a rundown of the basic mechanics in Feast if you'd like and strategies I found effective in my time playing it.