Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Shaezerus posted:

Let's get technically lore-appropriate.

Yes. This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Silegna posted:

What realm is this? I can make a lancer!

I think he said it was Midgardsormr?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's go get that new action first, you might need it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I've heard you have to go to Western Thanalan a lot, too, though. Staying there for an extended period of time, maybe not, but traveling there...

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

kaosdrachen posted:

I have.

The second part of the trio of quests (help the yellow ranger train) is kind of a bitch because it's open-world and the bombs spawn for everyone to target.

I got that one third. It wasn't that bad for me partially because it was 11PM on a Sunday night but I did have to warp out thanks to a jerk random mob...

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I like K'lyhia too and it is hurting me a little bit seeing you be so hard on her. :colbert:

Really the only job or class quest NPCs I've met I don't like are... well, I'll not say since someone else will probably get to them, but they exist and so far none of them are related to any of the caster classes.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Carpenter and Botanist.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

TiamosLoren posted:

Hm...so with those results, I would be going with Miner as my gatherer. Let's see what RNG decides for my crafter...

:rolldice:

...Alchemist?! poo poo. One of the ones I'm not good with. (Admittedly, two of my worst on my main are Alchemist and Culinarian - alongside Blacksmith and Armorer for some reason...)

Which gatherer helps Alchemist more, anyway? I know Miner helps them at least a little bit, but I'm not sure whether Botanist does anything for them.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I mostly only use quick synth when I'm sure I'll need a lot of whatever the result is - usually this means stuff like ingots or lumber, which are ingredients in the majority of Blacksmith and Carpenter recipes.

Or sometimes when the result's quality matters less - for example, orange juice, which has the same bonuses regardless of quality.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Quarrying doesn't seem very botanist-like or an activity that would use a hatchet.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Maelstrom best company.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Emptyquotevote.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

ReturnOfFable posted:

I must have blocked this part out of my memory because I think the part that follows afterwards is one of the worst parts of the 2.0 story.

Well it includes one of the worst something else, so it's a low point in more than one way.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm not sure whether this much drag now is a good or bad sign of things to come.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

I can promise it gets a lot better later. The A Realm Reborn leveling story just struggles to stretch to 50 without the padding. I have a few theories as to why but being rushed to replace an MMO with a new one is probably the main reason it worked out this way. The developers hit their stride in the content patches before the first expansion came out, though.

Oh, I meant more in terms of how much discussion will happen. I stopped playing some time before 3.5 hit but I was reasonably current at the time. I enjoy getting other perspectives on games I like.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

So how far through the "main story" is this? My only real experience with XIV is through Final Fantasy Record Keeper, and Hauke Manner seemed pretty early on, but you've been going through the game for a long time now.

This subline of quests ending around Haukke Manor is in the late-20s in terms of level, and you can even see that the "The Power of Deduction" quest is level 28 specifically. The initial A Realm Reborn storyline goes up to level 50. Each expansion after that has raised the level cap by 10, i.e. the Heavensward storyline quests end at level 60 and the Stormblood ones at level 70. Level isn't quite the best indicator of scenario progress but it's a decent one.

I think there's a fairly substantial lapse in dungeons/trials after Haukke, if I remember correctly... or maybe that was after the next dungeon (which you probably know what it is but I won't say more here).

Edit: ⬇️ honestly considering what's coming up that's completely fair to say. (I also wasn't including the patches and the like that come in between expacs in the above breakdown...)

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 22, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is definitely one of the most :getin: songs in the game and it plays for all of the Level 30 Class Quests.

And a few scenes in one of the best Lv50 sidequest lines.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Qarn is a good dungeon that we should save for later.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Keep at it in Coerthas.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that the game has improved a lot during the time Iīve read this LP. Since I have a fulltime job and being a parent I simply donīt have time to play an MMORPG seriously anymore, so I wonder just how feasible is it to play this as (mostly) a single player RPG?

It should work just fine, as other people have suggested, and the new expansion's dungeons have a feature that you can run them solo (the trials do not though, so those still require other people around).

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sylphosaurus posted:

I hope that itīs o.k if I ask another newbie question? Whatīs a decent/fun/interesting class to start out as?

On some level they're all interesting, but running it down...

If you want to see the biggest numbers, play Thaumaturge.
If you want to be able to reposition freely while you attack, play Archer.
If you want to heal, play Conjurer.
If you want a little of everything, play Arcanist.
If you want to be hitting buttons as often as possible, play Pugilist.

I never actually played much Gladiator, Lancer, or Marauder so I can't speak for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Man, I know people talk up XIV like it's the best Final Fantasy ever, but so much busywork. Why did we have to get the runaround talking to four five people in a row at the beginning of the update just to have a meaningful conversation? Why does every tiny step of progress require earning the approval of seven different people with fluff quests?

The game seems to make it a mission to waste your time, but I guess that's just MMOs for you. It does make it hard to see why the game gets quite as much praise as it does, though.

Sometime next year all of this will get tightened up, at least.

Meanwhile there's only one more run of obvious filler between here and the end of 2.0 if I remember correctly... provided the run-up to the Stone Vigil has run out of it, at least.