Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fuckin' thing sucked.

I mean, it was kinda okay at parts but it was like a fuckin' Looney Tunes cartoon or some poo poo. Tonally it was flip flopping so violently I thought my neck was going to snap off. Jesse's actor mumbles everything, Tulip makes no sense, Cassidy's okay.

seth rogan stop ruining comic book franchises you fat gently caress

Preacher was dope and deserved better. Only good part was Arseface's mask thingy looks right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JiveHonky posted:

wow, a big man with big opinions. Lets see how you handle adversity of someone disagreeing with you. Not me bec I haven't seen it, but someone else is sure to provide a differing opinion and that's when we'll see what you're really made of.

that sounds scary i'm just gonna go to sleep goodnight jivehonky

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cowboy Pope posted:

The pilot's tone is all over the loving shop, but it's key to look at it in terms of the source material. It's a big serious book about a cowboy going out to find God Almighty and take him to task, but it's also a book full of Big Chocolate Fists and cokehead angels and all kinds of goofy bullshit. This translates to the screen in a really weird way, but it was a weird book. The parts that worked worked really well, I'm not sold, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes from here.

Yeah, adapting Preacher was always going to be kind of tricky, because in comics you can just sort of get away with more...outlandish things...than you really can in real life. At least they are putting effort into giving this adaptation it's own identity, but by the end of the Pilot, I didn't feel like they got the "mood" that Preacher has. Which is a real shame because they even got the great Willie Nelson version of "It Was the Time of the Preacher" for the start.

Maybe the second episode will be easier to enjoy now that I've already gotten gobsmacked by all the changes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Drunken Baker posted:

It's not the comic Preacher and it was never going to be but the bromance between Jesse and Cass is there and that's the heart of the books anyway.

Well, I'm not sure I'd really call it a bromance by the end...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dreddout posted:

Cassidy is a vampire

The sequence in the airplane was really baffling and weird but my favorite part of that episode may have been the guy drizzling holy water on Cassidy to absolutely no effect.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MrQwerty posted:

It's a bromance that turns into a third revenge plot by the halfway point

I do like the way the comic ends. That particular showdown is really interesting, because you'd really think that of all his fights, this would be the one that gives Jesse trouble. He's a Marty Stu but it's a great fight, Jesse using brains to overcome superior brawn. Blinding Cassidy was especially neat I thought, given that his eyes were a big mystery and character feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

vyst posted:

Why isn't this in Tviv

Would YOU go into TVIV?

• Locked thread