Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I assume your choice of words at 16:45 was intended to provoke Artix, and I'm very sad that it didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Game is great because you can't actually miss anything ever due to being Bill Murray.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Poor Deku link.

(Dog from above)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ooh, you visited the mayor. The music that plays in his room is really nice, and whenever I hear it I can't help but sing along with it.

Sing what, you ask? Well, these lyrics by MonkeyDRuffy of course:

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpOcYwBwYXKI
(I checked, there's no spoilers in that vid)

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
While we're posting out favorite remixes and covers, someone did an awesome cover album of the first three day cycle of this game, called "Time's End". It really captures the mood of the game well, and when you get to the third day and on, it's just balls out epic.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
This LP's #selfie game is en pointe.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 18, 2016

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Morroque posted:

This LP's #selfie game is en pointe.

This post made me so excited when I first saw it that I actually tried to retweet it because I want everyone to enjoy it

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Are you planning to do anymore unguided exploration videos? This game really benefits from loving around.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
Is it possible to brute-force the code to the bomber's gang? There are only 120 potential combinations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You could, but I have no idea why you would want to. Unless you were ludicrously lucky, it would take far less time to just get it legitimately.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Hrm. I suppose -if- the time mechanic was actually a legitimate concern, I don't think time passes while talking to people. So OOC time it would take longer, but IC time it would be shorter.

I could only imagine that being a thing if it was your first cycle and you somehow made it to almost being out of time before going down there.

But I vaguely remember the game taking pity on you and not requiring the password to get into the sewer if you wait too long? (I don't think this maybe thing qualifies as a spoiler, but let me know if it does)

It's been a long while since I've played MM, even though it's likely my favorite. Toss up between it and A Link to the Past, anyhow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artix posted:

You could, but I have no idea why you would want to. Unless you were ludicrously lucky, it would take far less time to just get it legitimately.

I remember something were a kid just decided to brute force a combination safe with 4 numbers. He looked up all the combinations printed them off and tried them one by one. Then he got it and was like "huh I did not think I would get it on my 15th try."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Leon Cross posted:

But I vaguely remember the game taking pity on you and not requiring the password to get into the sewer if you wait too long? (I don't think this maybe thing qualifies as a spoiler, but let me know if it does)

No that guard kid will stay at his post until the end, drat the consequences. Ain't no moon gonna stop him from quizzing people on a 5 digit passcode.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Are you planning to do anymore unguided exploration videos? This game really benefits from loving around.

Not just benefits, it seems practically designed to be played by doing so.
If there's any game where I hope the co-comentators keep their 'guidance' vague, it's probably this one.
Not too vague, though; A lot of time can be wasted just running around in this game, if you miss some clue.

There is of course one part of the playstyle that has me yanking at my hair, but hopefully it's intentional.
I'd say what, especially since it's not like the game's been subtle, but I guess if it's not intentional it might be funny when she realizes it?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Skrewtape posted:

Is it possible to brute-force the code to the bomber's gang? There are only 120 potential combinations.

No. How the code works is completely determined by your actions in the game. Each of the bombers in the minigame has a number on their back. The order you catch them in determines the code. As far as the game is concerned, there is no code until you win the minigame.

And since you can play the minigame on the second cycle before visiting the professor, you can change the code. The code doesn't get locked in until you get the bomber's notebook.

I always made sure the permanent code was 12345, personally.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

No. How the code works is completely determined by your actions in the game. Each of the bombers in the minigame has a number on their back. The order you catch them in determines the code. As far as the game is concerned, there is no code until you win the minigame.

And since you can play the minigame on the second cycle before visiting the professor, you can change the code. The code doesn't get locked in until you get the bomber's notebook.

I always made sure the permanent code was 12345, personally.

What?? It isn't random?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

What?? It isn't random?
It's random

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Moreso, with n64, I'm pretty sure the bomber's code is tied to your cart. Like it'll always be the same thing even on new games.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FicusArt posted:

Moreso, with n64, I'm pretty sure the bomber's code is tied to your cart. Like it'll always be the same thing even on new games.

No it's not? In my first game I got 12345, then after that it was different each time.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Geemer posted:

No it's not? In my first game I got 12345, then after that it was different each time.

I am surprised no one brought this up in Doctor Kill's LP of majora's mask then. My bad tho.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Just so you know, when you need to give somebody an item, but you don't have it on your C buttons, you can just hit the start button at the dialogue where you'd give them the item and assign it right away. You don't have to finish the dialogue first, assign the item, and then talk to them again.

It's not a big thing at all, it's just a weird thing I've never seen anyone else playing this game do.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Trick Question posted:

Just so you know, when you need to give somebody an item, but you don't have it on your C buttons, you can just hit the start button at the dialogue where you'd give them the item and assign it right away. You don't have to finish the dialogue first, assign the item, and then talk to them again.

It's not a big thing at all, it's just a weird thing I've never seen anyone else playing this game do.

They brought this up in the video, so she does know.

I just googled how the bombers code is generated, and it seems like everywhere I can see, no is sure how it works. I have not seen a definite answer of "this is how it is generated". The prevailing theory's are that it is 1. the order you catch them, 2. based off of your name you use on the file and 3. based off of your cartridge's ID#. Of all of them, the order you catch them seems to be the most popular, but who knows if that means it is true or not. :shrug:

FAKE EDIT: I just went back and rewatched the episode, Fae caught them in the order of 14253, but her code was 15342, so I guess that is actually debunked.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's weird that a theory that could be so conclusively proven true or false would prevail for any amount of time without being tested like that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm surprised no one has opened up the rom before and taken a look at how that function works.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Some Numbers posted:

It's weird that a theory that could be so conclusively proven true or false would prevail for any amount of time without being tested like that.

Think about how long your friends probably thought you could find mew under the truck in the SS Anne area. Same concept, if much easier test. The people that know it doesn't work don't mention it unless someone else brings it up leaving only speculators discussing it.

FPzero posted:

I'm surprised no one has opened up the rom before and taken a look at how that function works.

How do speed runners handle it? Just run the mission as normal or skip it entirely by other means?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FoolyCharged posted:

Think about how long your friends probably thought you could find mew under the truck in the SS Anne area. Same concept, if much easier test. The people that know it doesn't work don't mention it unless someone else brings it up leaving only speculators discussing it.

How do speed runners handle it? Just run the mission as normal or skip it entirely by other means?

Speed runners finish the first cycle in its entirety and then start sequence breaking.

The sub 2 hour MM speedruns are really impressive.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

This was actually brought up during the 100% speedrun of Majora's Mask from the latest AGDQ. The Bomber's code is just randomly auto-generated from the moment you create the file.

Easiest way to prove it is to start with two empty slots. Create a file in one slot, and before starting, copy that file into the other slot. Play through one of the files, play hide and seek and get the Bomber's code. Then go into the other file and just go straight to the kid guarding the entrance and give him the code you got in the other file, and be amazed when it works. And then just for good measure, you can delete one of the files, create a new one with the same name, play hide and seek again and get a different Bomber's code (unless you're somehow lucky/unlucky enough to get the same code again).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Glaive17 posted:

EDIT: I just went back and rewatched the episode, Fae caught them in the order of 14253, but her code was 15342, so I guess that is actually debunked.
Yeah I was about to mention this too

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Huh. Learn something new. In my defense for propagating a rumor, I rolled 12345 as the password on 4 of my 5 playthroughs between the N64 cart and WiiWare version of the game.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember something were a kid just decided to brute force a combination safe with 4 numbers. He looked up all the combinations printed them off and tried them one by one. Then he got it and was like "huh I did not think I would get it on my 15th try."

Wow. Even though I don't remember the name of that cartoon, I remember that very scene from it.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 6 - Tingle, What Did You Do!?

Posting this a little later than I usually post videos but in my defence I was distracted by a rad as poo poo videogame that I've been waiting for for a while and just got released today!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Faerie Fortune posted:

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 6 - Tingle, What Did You Do!?

Posting this a little later than I usually post videos but in my defence I was distracted by a rad as poo poo videogame that I've been waiting for for a while and just got released today!

On a scale of 'lame' to 'tubular', how rad is it?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I've never used the lottery shop much, but I always liked that the game actually lets you use time travel to cheat.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

quote:

"You're basically committing high fraud right now."
"Nice!"

:allears:

I know it's been said multiple times already, but it's really great seeing you explore Clock Town for the first time, especially since the game's so full of cool little things that I might as well be rediscovering it. I never noticed the nod cows, for instance.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Did anyone else have a play style of:

"Oh, hey! A new item! Time to drop everything plot related and see what side quests I can advance!"

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Quantum Toast posted:

I've never used the lottery shop much, but I always liked that the game actually lets you use time travel to cheat.

Yeah unfortunately winning the lottery three times in a row isn't apparently a very big deal in Termina. Funny but useless for grinding money.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Ok, I think this is a good moment to share this, since we've just heard this song ingame. IMHO, this is one of the best remixes of a videogame song ever, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HVHNf-oW4 Thunderstruck by Big Giant Circles. Had I been following the Ocarina of Time thread I would have posted it there.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
So did somebody pass like a quarter of their heart through their rectum? How did that end up in the toilet?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Since you name-dropped DoctorKill's Majora LP I want to give a shout-out to smokyprogg's three-day challenge run of the game that's also on the LP archive, if you still remember this post by the time you finish your run you should definitely check it out (not linking it here for obvious reasons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Leon Cross posted:

Did anyone else have a play style of:

"Oh, hey! A new item! Time to drop everything plot related and see what side quests I can advance!"

There's another way to play?