Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Take a good long look at that spoiler policy, folks. We're in full zero-tolerance mode after the last go-around, and both Argate and myself will be watching this thread like a hawk. We have an agreement with Fedule to keep an eye on things, so don't make us enforce it. :toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We're going to finish the Bomber's Notebook and pick up whatever heart pieces we stumble on out in the field. No promises with 100% or anything, because there's 52 goddamn pieces of heart and that's a lot of dumb minigames and poo poo.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Some Numbers posted:

Edit: Jesus Christ, I just reread the spoiler policy. What the gently caress happened to force that issue?

liquidypoo posted:

47 minutes for the first wink wink nudge nudge. Jesus loving christ. Our lowest guess was 12 hours.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Pyroi posted:

...skip...fishing? You DID see Ocarina of Time, right?

There is no fishing in Majora's Mask N64. It literally does not exist in the game. :ssh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The N64 in general was also better at flat out running games. With the expansion pack installed, it had 8 MB of RAM compared to the PS1's 2, a better processor, and a slightly better graphics processor. The PS1 could get away with a lot more because of the disc space (better textures, pre-rendered backgrounds, FMV, music) and a lot of that let it look better than it actually was, but once real gameplay started you were (usually) better off on the N64. There's a reason that until very late in its life-cycle, most of the best looking games used primarily pre-rendered backgrounds and only had the main character and NPCs/important objects actually be rendered (and you could pick them out from a mile away, see Resident Evil as an example).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Krampus Grewcock posted:

And after reading the posts itt, it's safe to assume the 3DS remake is worth picking up? Like, no way in hell am I going back to the port or playing it on an N64.

Personally, I swear by the Virtual Console release, but that's because MM 3D changes a ton of stuff and I mostly dislike the changes (I'll point them out as we come across them in the LP). That said, I'm fully aware that I have a minority opinion and if you have access to it, the 3DS version is generally considered to be the way to go.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zain posted:

Edit2: I don't think the kids are racist. They just don't want no scrubs. A scrub is a guy that just can't get no love from them.

They literally say verbatim "We could let you in if you were a human but..." :shrug:

Also it blows my mind how many people didn't know you could stun the kids. Like Aithon said, Deku Link has two moves and you never once tried either of them?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
More importantly, the time limit is at worst a cap on how long you can spend inside a dungeon or whatever in one sitting. In the greater scheme, there is no time limit. You can go back to the first day at any time for any reason, with the only cost being that you might have to redo part of whatever you were doing (and the game has numerous built-in checkpoints so even when you DO have to redo stuff, you can usually take shortcuts or otherwise skip parts of it). The time limit in MM is purely for show and outside of scheduling for the NPCs, might as well not exist. Once you understand that (and it can take a few cycles to really sink in, even if you know that it doesn't matter), the game becomes infinitely more enjoyable.

E: Also yeah, first major MM3D change is that there are save statues littered around where you can make hard saves whenever you want. While I understand why it was done (and agree that it makes the game better to actually play), I think the game really loses something in flavor by making that always available. It wouldn't be so bad if they just added those statues, but they also made it so that the Song of Time doesn't save the game, because gently caress everyone familiar with the original, I guess??? :shrug:

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 14, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Japanese version had no quicksaves, but 3 save slots. US version took one out to add the owl statues.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You could, but I have no idea why you would want to. Unless you were ludicrously lucky, it would take far less time to just get it legitimately.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Geemer posted:

The food at the Stock Pot Inn causes serious heartburn, man.

It's true. Grandma actually refuses to eat the food that Anju cooks, so what does that say for the other guests?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Chaltab posted:

So I guess you'll get to the first dungeon around episode 30 at this rate. XD

Nah, this is the last set of stuff we do in town, so it'll probably be closer to episode ~15.

Also, since it has been brought up, I am going to try as hard as I can to not call anyone out specifically when explaining the guidance thus far. This session specifically was cut short due to real life stuff, and as such we assumed more direct control than we normally would have. Otherwise there was a very real chance we were going to have to cut things off halfway through Day 2, which would be awkward at best for a variety of reasons, so we just powered through as quickly as we could. In a more general sense, I would also like to point out that I have now been yelled by both the "You are giving too much advice" AND the "Why didn't you direct her toward [thing]" crowd OVER THE SAME drat VIDEO (Not this one specifically, but it's as good of a time to bring it up as any). I realize that everyone has different expectations as to what "blind" entails, but we can't please everybody, nor are we going to try to. Will it be this heavy-handed all the time? Of course not. But this is how the LP will be continuing, because this is how Fae wants things to go. She trusts us to guide her when appropriate, and that's what we try to do.

E: This is the first and only time I am going to directly address this, by the by. That is not to say that we are turning a blind eye to criticism, but you're going to have to be a little more specific than "STOP HELPING TOO MUCH/NOT ENOUGH"

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 2, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
From a quick search, I can see one? It's not complete though and it hasn't updated in a year.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm sure there's a run out there somewhere that has the player doing all the quests and getting the good results on the last cycle

It's not possible, actually. There's at least one set of things that is mutually exclusive (and a second that is so tight it might as well be, if it isn't), but you can come drat close if you know what you're doing. The Single Cycle LP by smokyprogg however long ago is a great demonstration of just how much you can do, but it does a lot of stuff out of order and contains heavy spoilers for obvious reasons.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You definitely can kill it and it drops a Purple(?) Rupee every time. Might actually be an orange one.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
For the record, the reason we're not doing the dungeon is because I wasn't originally going to be here either and the only reason I made it at all was because she had to restart her computer right before they started.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I believe it's 7, but I know for a fact you can have at least 6 before you even start Woodfall.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zack Ater posted:

You can get 20 heart containers pieces before going into the first dungeon, I'm pretty sure, for a grand total of 8 hearts.

e: vv - Oh, uh, whoops. I need more sleep. Thanks for pointing that out.

e2: Before going to the swamp at all would be 14 pieces, or 15 if you count the piece in the tree in that short area between Termina field and the swamp proper.

Shoot me a PM with your list because I'm curious now. I can come up with 20 pieces but it includes a few which are technically possible but overwhelmingly tedious (the bank) or are so reliant on chance that you'd never feasibly get them without the intended method.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

sharkbeard posted:

"I can't figure out how to get beneath them. I'm going to stay in here where it's safe." *goes down inside a flower*

Fae sometimes you worry me.

Other than that I'm greatly enjoying this LP, your commentary is super fun as always.

Hahahahahahahahahhahahaha :suicide:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines has one in the very first area iirc.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
They totally do though, they do one damage a pop to his tail. There's no reason to use them over any of your three (?) other, far more efficient options, but you could if you were REALLY dedicated.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We will be mandating some of the later fairy collections for obvious reasons but this one is pretty unnecessary. We've kicked around going back to get them in a bonus session but it hasn't happened yet.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Same, just shoot me a tweet or DM.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nah, I definitely think it would be a lesser game without dungeons at all. Thematically, sure, they're just kinda there, but I love the actual dungeons and puzzles so much. We'll get to talk a bit about it after the next one, but I'm gonna write up a big post once we've done them all because I love the philosophy behind their design. The last one in particular is probably my favorite Zelda dungeon ever.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I didn't tell her anything! I was going to have her do the swordsman school, but she had already done it on her own. That said, the issue was (and still is :v:) that she needs to not die. The vast majority of our problems in Woodfall was that for every enemy that we killed, we lost anywhere between half to two full hearts along the way, which is why pretty much everything I did with her was "Okay, here is your shield. It makes you literally invincible to 90% of what the game will throw at you. These are your options for moving in combat. They also make you more or less invincible."

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Ignoring that she plays on a retrolink (which is literally just an N64 pad and the controller the game was actually designed for) I'm trying to imagine how that would work, honestly. Lock on on LT/L2, Shield on LB, Sword on RB (except for jump attack which is bound to the action button!), A for confirm, X/Y/B as your c-items, but you still have C-Up and all the first person stuff that wouldn't go anywhere cleanly. And even if you did sort that out, that's a lot of stuff getting mapped to the shoulder buttons when you're probably going to regularly need at least to have fingers on at least two, if not three of them at all times.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's a 50 rupee chest behind the Lens chest, yes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Also something worth pointing out is that at some point in the last few weeks Nintendo finally got their poo poo together and fixed the discount on the Wii U eShop. So if you owned it on the Wii Virtual Console, now you can be like me and replay the original for the 80 bajillionth time and not get gouged out of 10bux.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ManxomeBromide posted:

I love everything about Romani Ranch. :allears:

I love how there's a whole Hylian X-COM Horse Archery Cow Defense subplot. I love that when you practice for it you get the the goofy, banjo-rear end horserace theme. I love how in the aftermath you have to defend the milk from raiders by "discouraging them with your arrows." Yes. discouraging them. And then I totally lost it with Cremia's little speech about growing up.

Congratulations, Link! Today you are a man. Here is your cow mask to represent this important life milestone.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this after we stopped recording, but if you do that minigame again and don't let them break any of the milk bottles, Cremia gives Link a big hug as his reward. Of course, given his size, his face gets planted right in her tits and the game gives you a cute little message like "You feel all fuzzy inside". It might even add a heart in there somewhere, but I'm not sure if that was the original or the 3DS version.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Everybody likes dinos. Everybody. :colbert:

Also, re: MM3D bosses, like I said in the video it feels like most of the changes are designed to streamline them into one "correct" way of fighting them, similar a modern Zelda boss where you use the dungeon item and then hit them three times. Which is fine, there's nothing wrong with that, per se, but I feel it's a big step down from the original which gave you a lot more options to deal with most of them. It's most obvious in the fourth boss (which was a really cool idea but implemented terribly), but Goht is a pretty good case study too. It's identical except for having to stop rolling and shoot the big eyeball. Why? What does that add to the fight? Who looked at the original and said "This is real good, so we're not going to change much about it, but what if we made them stop rolling every few hits and use the bow?"

tiistai posted:

It's not that bad. What they did manage to do with the bosses was remove the ability to completely cheese them without any effort. It does mess with the flow, admittedly, but technically they're now harder to beat than in the original.

I have no idea what you're talking about with this one. Outside of maybe the fourth boss, I don't know how these changes made it any less easy to cheese the bosses (and they didn't change the biggest and most obvious way of doing it to begin with).

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 16, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Jurassic World is really dumb but it's a fun kind of dumb and it's a little better if you liked the original. More teeth, indeed.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Yapping Eevee posted:

I like how the Zora explanation Artix was so eager to give meant that Fae went running away from the grave, despite Mikau saying to write his dying song on it. And after Fae got her notepad ready to write it down and everything. :allears:

There is no actual song. It's a tutorial on how Zora Link works, just like Darmani's grave. :ssh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's an unfortunate casualty of Fae's recording setup, there's some pretty awful gradual desync by the end of the session. I have no idea why, but I also don't do the actual hard editing so :shrug:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Fae was out of town for a week or two, and the footage that we recorded right before she left presumably hasn't been edited. She came back in yesterday, so updates should theoretically resume in the next week or so.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
How did we have apocalypse-chat without mentioning goddamn Drakengard. The sky shatters and all you see are teeth. :unsmigghh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It bears mentioning again. No one does an apocalypse like Taro Yoko. :colbert:

also this was like a month ago and gently caress if I remember what we talked about

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm not watching the video again to see what the gently caress I suggested but yeah, bombs and spin attacks gently caress Wart up pretty good. Quickspins especially will ruin his day, but I don't think Fae is capable of doing one on command, let alone several. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

tiistai posted:

Gyorg is not a particularly good boss but killing him with Zora boomerangs only must count as some sort of a challenge run. The simple strategy is to shoot an arrow from the platform, swim at him with the electric shield active, swim back to the platform, repeat 4 more times. Takes about 2 minutes tops.

I believe I have identified a problem with your strategy, as far as Fae is concerned. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

KieranWalker posted:

She is more of a plot coupon than a useful in-game tool in MM, yeah. The only place you're required to use her ever is to get into the Great Bay area, which is actually less use than she got in OoT. At least that game had the big poe hunts and a long, drawn-out fetch quest that required you to use Epona to get from one end of the game map to the other in under 3 minutes. Twice.

So yeah, all in all, Epona is not very good in these games.

Hey, hey. You need her to enter the fourth area too, unless you're counting the bomb jump glitch in which case you don't need her for Great Bay either. She's totally useful. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Ikana Canyon itself is one of my favorite areas too (right behind Great Bay) and it's a very solid area right up until the end. I just hate the dungeon.

We are going to have words later, young man. :colbert: