Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Aw yeah, time for The Best Zelda Game!

I hope you have fun, because I really love this game. The Happy Mask Salesman being creepy and not having any transition time between his poses is 100% intentional and adds to the surreality of the game.

Neurion posted:

My second favorite (read: most hated) flaw was how quickly the controller's joystick would wear out and result in a massive dead zone. Growing up, I went through 4 controllers because of how bad it was.

I still have a bunch of new sticks lying around in a box. I bought a bunch of them in bulk from a local shop that also dabbled in repairing consoles and replaced them myself whenever the stick wore down too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Faerie Fortune posted:

I hope you like watching me struggle with simple tasks!

We wouldn't be here if we didn't!

I love the astronomer's theme, it's one of the best the game.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

Man, Link's gonna run up one hell of a bill by the end of this adventure. Especially since each subsequent use costs more and more...

Why do you think he keeps losing all his poo poo when he goes back?

GeneX posted:

You found my favorite song in the game, even if you cut it off pretty quickly.

It is, rather appropriately, named Final Hours. It plays for the last 6 hours of the 3 day cycle, and it is loving amazing.

:hfive:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Majora's Mask 3D changes the save mechanic substantially and while it's a more forgiving mechanic, it's also not very fun when you find out you have to do the first dungeon over again because you played the song of time and then shut the 3DS down.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FicusArt posted:

Moreso, with n64, I'm pretty sure the bomber's code is tied to your cart. Like it'll always be the same thing even on new games.

No it's not? In my first game I got 12345, then after that it was different each time.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FELD1 posted:

So did somebody pass like a quarter of their heart through their rectum? How did that end up in the toilet?

The food at the Stock Pot Inn causes serious heartburn, man.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rarity posted:

We are the Kokiri of Europe :(

:britain: posted:

Hey, have you seen your old friends? None of them recognized you with your tanned body, did they?
That's because the British never tan! Even after seven years in the sun, they're still pale!

You must be wondering why only you have tanned!
Well, as you might have already guessed, you are not British!
You are actually a European!
I am happy to finally reveal this secret to you!

Some time ago, before the European Union unified these countries, there was a fierce war in our world.
One day, to escape from the fires of the war, a European mother and her baby boy entered these forbidden islands.
The mother was gravely injured... Her only choice was to entrust the child to the Parliament, the guardian spirit of these islands.
The Parliament could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so they took him into the islands.
After the mother passed away, the baby was raised as a British citizen.
And now, finally, the day of destiny has come!

You are a European, and were always bound to leave these islands.
And now...
You have learned your own destiny...
So you know what you must do...
That's right...
You must save the European Union!
Now, Link, break the curses on all of the Temples, and return peace to the European Union!!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pyroi posted:

I am upset that Fae can actually see while playing, I was promised a blind LP.

Well, there's blindfolded speedruns of Ocarina of Time. There might also be some of this game.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm sure there's a run out there somewhere that has the player doing all the quests and getting the good results on the last cycle

That's Undertale. :haw:

You'd need to pull some very interesting glitches to do all the things in one cycle and if such a run exists, I really want to see it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

One thing I dislike about MM3D is that the blast mask no longer turns translucent when you use it, so you have to look for the button to activate again instead of seeing the mask gradually fill in again. I always thought that was a nice touch.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The good old practice of locking a player in a room with all the tools they need to get back out again. It's a shame that text-based tutorials have almost pushed these out of existence.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, I honestly did not know half of the moves Odolwa has. I always beat him too fast.

I don't mean this in a 'oh look at you sucking at this game you're playing for the first time' kind of way, but more as genuine surprise at the depth the fight has. Especially that he is pretty fair about how much damage the insane amount of stuff happening on the screen does.
It's really neat to see a different perspective on the game this way.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

Yeah, which is also what Nintendo does with virtual console N64 titles on the Wii or Wii U. And it doesn't work as well in a lot of cases as you'd hope. Like it makes playing the ocarina in OoT and MM very awkward, though perhaps not as awkward as the 3DS versions... in which the note's position on the staff has absolutely no relation to the face button's position for whatever reason.

It's nearly a one-on-one match to the positions on the N64 controller, but rotated 90 degrees.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

Okay, the order of notes from lowest to highest in the N64 versions is A, CV, C>, C<, C^. That is basically how the face buttons on the controller are physically laid out in terms of height, so it's intuitive and makes sense.

The order of notes from lowest to highest in the 3DS versions is L, R, Y, X, A... which doesn't follow the layout of the N64 buttons even if you rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise. You're pushing the buttons in order from highest to lowest to play the notes in order of lowest to highest, which is the most counterintuitive thing they could have done with it. It almost makes sense to me if for some reason you wanted to hold the 3DS up to your face and push the touchscreen buttons like you were playing a real instrument, but that's the only thing I can really think of where the layout seems reasonable.

Err, it's been a while since I played MM3D. Right, so, it's not like the face buttons, but the 90° rotation is still a thing.
If you turn your 3DS 90° counterclockwise you have L at the bottom, following that 'column' you get R. But then you run out of 3DS so you move one 'column' right and from bottom to top you have Y, X, A, which aligns with the note scale.

So if you wanted to get a continuous line, imagine the face buttons (sans B) floating beyond the R button.

Fedule posted:

I will never understand why the 3DS ports could not let you whistle tunes into the mic to play then. I mean sure it wouldn't be for everyone but how cool would it have been as a feature?

Because the original 3DS' mic is poo poo and people would try to whistle directly into it, which would cause it to clip something fierce and it wouldn't be able to recognize notes at all.
Though it'd probably cause an interesting series of videos of weird songs and sounds being misinterpreted by the game.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If you start rolling right from the space where you stop after leaving the grave, you spin out enough to get the spikes and clear the gap of the pond below.
Getting down as normal link is for scrubs.

(Don't start rolling before leaving the grave because then you won't spin out on the snow and will just drop down into the drink. Also make sure you have magic.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Too bad you didn't stick around to see the cutscene with the goron called Link after you get the room key. But you can easily enough get that on another cycle if you care to see it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Drakenel posted:

Oh huh. I never noticed, but when watching fae try to aim, but there's actually a small piece of the bow jutting out between the main part and the string, and that point is horizontally level with where your arrow will go.

Arrows go to the dead-center of the screen. You can use that to guesstimate the proper aim if you're still having some problems.

If you use the bow enough, you get a feel for where that is in relation to the arrow tip.
But then when you play MM3D you will end up shooting too high because they moved the arrow tip to the place where the arrow actually goes. Which is definitely a more sane way of doing things and how it should've been from the start.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zagglezig posted:

While we're talking about the snowball climb, as far as I know Goron form doesn't have a shielded mode. We saw here the snowballs and wolfos can both damage you while you're curled up. I haven't tried testing it for reduced damage or knockback, though.

The snowballs just hit you when you're shielded. The Wolfos hit her when she was curled up, which is different.
When you're curled up, you can roll and do the ground pound. When you're shielded you're all jagged and a rock.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nah, snowballs are just dicks.
Goron Link's 'shield' works the same way as Deku Link's shield. Some things that are too powerful just hit through it. An easy way to see that the goron shield works for attacks from the front is to just shield next to a bomb.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Yes I agree. The only boss I feel was a step down in 3D was Goht, for that exact reason. Every other one I felt was a lateral move at worst.

Counterpoint: The fourth boss sucks immensely in 3D.

The big improvement of the bow and arrow in 3D is that the arrow now flies to where the tip is located on screen. Which fucks up years of muscle memory for the people that learned how to aim in OOT/MM N64, but is incredibly more usable for anyone expecting a sane aiming experience.

:rip:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This pirate stealth section is so much better than OOT's Gerudo Fortress. It also has some really good music.

Glad to see you guys didn't have Fae collect that item that got moved to this place in the 3DS version before entering, though. (gently caress that thing being in a completely different spot and thus impossible to find for people who know the old game.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zernach posted:

It looked to me that that adjusting the controller settings might help, Fae seemed to have a really hard time of making the smaller course corrections, leading to an akward back and forth wiggle trying to aim.

It's the true Beaver Race That Is Not Actually A Race experience.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You get to see the end of the world in Undertale. And also kinda in Golden Sun if you say "no" to going on the world-saving quest.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

About half of the Metroid games have planets blow up after you're done with your visit.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Great Bay Temple is a great concept, but it can be a bit painful in its execution.

Once you grasp the bigger picture it's quite easy to understand and navigate, but because everything looks kinda the same (though they try real hard with different colored surfaces and pipes), it's hard to get at first.

Still, I really like it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It weirds me out that Octorocks disappear once they submerge

EDIT: And yeah, Arghus isn't a boss that translated to 3D well. Cool idea in 2D, tedious in 3D. He definitely wears out his welcome. And yet, I somehow always seem to forget about him until I enter his room.

:confused: Just shoot it with fire arrows to pop off a ton of bubbles at a time.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hooray, your ascent into madness continues!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I went to a Japanese pop culture exhibition recently and they had a scroll with some frogs dancing as one of the early fore-runners of manga.
I thought you might like it, Fae, since you like frogs and all.

Regretfully, I was an idiot and did not actually make a note of the title of the scroll.
Fake edit:
Through sheer black magic, my lovely phone picture was recognized by google image search and got me the correct result:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%8Dj%C5%AB-jinbutsu-giga

That present location is a lie, it's currently in the National Museum of Ethnology in The Netherlands.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:aaa: That's amazing! I never knew that was a thing!

Merry Christmas!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Faerie Fortune posted:

So hi, friends! I have an announcement to make!

We are nearing the end of our journey, with the most recent recording session having me complete stone tower temple, all we have left to do is get the salesman's mask and get back home to Hyrule. And I want you guys to be there with me when I do it!

For those who don't remember my OoT LP, for that game I streamed the final boss battle live so folks in chat could cheer me on and watch my live reaction to the ending of the game! We're keeping the tradition and doing the same thing this time! Its gonna be a great time, but a reminder that this will be the final boss and ending cutscenes so if you're watching blind along with me, we are a fair bit ahead of the videos that I've posted in here!

Speaking of times, if you want to be a part of this you can join in at my twitch channel this Saturday, March 3rd at 1pm EST/10am PST/6pm GMT! Don't worry if you miss it, the stream will be posted as an episode just like the OoT version was! I'll see you all on Saturday!
Woo! Good luck finally finishing the game! I'll try to remember joining!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It begins. :getin:

Seriously though, best dungeon.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

For a moment, I thought the whole rest of the video would be that one room.

It's such a dumb puzzle and needlessly punitive by having the charge/discharge time be equal.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Happy birthday Fae!

Congratulations on the nice video and also on getting the Big Boss key! :ocelot:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Breath of the Wild is a fine game if you stick to the overworld, but the dungeons babbys-first-obstacle-courses are hot garbage. Some of the shrines have more complex puzzles than an entire "dungeon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wait, you guys are doing a Nier LP? How come I never heard about that? :saddowns:

Congrats on wrecking Majora with Fierce Deity Link.