Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I share Artix's enthusiasm for this game, it's pretty amazing. MM has some blatant flaws that likely stemmed from the short development time the team was given but it more than makes up for those flaws in aspects like the unique setting and atmosphere.

Alpha3KV posted:

The game has some implications that Link is a little older than he was as a kid in OoT, despite using the same model.

It's close, but not exactly the same model though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I can't stand the N64 or GameCube controllers. Way too many buttons. Hell, it took me like a month after getting Super Mario 64 to realize there was a Z button.

I wish the Gamecube controller had a couple more so I could use it to play PS2 games.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can understand disliking some of the 3D changes, but overall they simply made the game more accessible without really making it easier, at least if you choose to ignore the handholding guides. The boss fights are technically made more difficult, although you could argue whether that difficulty is artifical.

Plus Grezzo added some pretty silly glitches so that's always fun

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
That day transition is pretty drat cool, too bad about PJ64 being garbage.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Zain posted:

They changed Majora's Mask Original in the Japanese version to do exactly this. So basically 3DS has the "Japanese Improvements" from the original. Which yeah kinda is blah for design wise but I get it.

There is a 1.1 version of the original Japanese N64 Majora's Mask, but the differences to JP 1.0 are just a few minor bugfixes. The American version which came later has much more substantial differences, and for example the quicksave functionality was added. The save system in MM3D is an entirely new addition, it wasn't even in any of the Gamecube or VC versions.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
After all that buildup I can't believe you missed the guy in North Clock Town and left at that exact time, you were looking right at him several times and Tatl even flew over to him

It was both painful and hilarious, if only you hadn't accidentally been competent at running up the side

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Some Numbers posted:

It's super weird, because I've definitely gone to North Clock Town a couple of minutes late and managed to see that event while it was unfolding.

I'm really confused by why that happened.

You're right. Basically you can enter the area a little "late" and it'll be fine, but if you're already there and then leave and re-enter like Fae did, it's over just like we saw.

e: Checked for the hell of it and it's the same in MM3D, thanks Grezzo

tiistai fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 16, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Quantum Toast posted:

I've never used the lottery shop much, but I always liked that the game actually lets you use time travel to cheat.

Yeah unfortunately winning the lottery three times in a row isn't apparently a very big deal in Termina. Funny but useless for grinding money.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Dedicating a C-button for a specific thing (even the Ocarina) for basically the whole game just forces you to open the menu more often than you should, don't do it.

MM3D did do a couple of things to make it more convenient to switch masks, yeah. Besides the automatic unequipping if you switch over a mask you're wearing, there's also a weird little change where if you're midair and press the button for a transformation mask, it will activate as soon as you touch ground. Dunno how many casual players ever even noticed this little change, but it became the basis for a variety of new glitches.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh you missed the short scene where Anju brings grandma some food. She was right there with you after the second story finished, you can actually see her for a moment during the fade in at 3:18.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Personally I simply find it pretty funny how Fae is getting so good at almost discovering stuff :v: There's a lot of little things in this game useful only for worldbuilding, stuff that's easily missable and interesting but unimportant. I hope I'm not being misunderstood as complaining.

Doing this Kafei stuff now is a pretty good idea for getting her used to how the game works even if takes away from discovering and figuring it out on your own over the course of the playthrough. It makes sense to do some directing at the moment to show what the game does. Things become a little more straightforward once you get out of Clock Town anyway.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Every mask has a purpose!

Keaton Mask is now useless

I really wish they had done something to make a few more masks actually useful in the 3D version but unfortunately they decided to be faithful to the original.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I was a bit confused for a moment because I forgot you need the beans here if you're playing the game normally, I would have gone straight for the other path :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The postman game is frame perfect (ie.1/20th of a second in this case) in the original Japanese version, but it was relaxed a little for the later versions.

And yeah just spam those chus, it's funnier that way too.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Mashing B does make you swim faster in OoT (I think there might even have been a gossip stone that tells you that) but this feature was for some reason removed in MM :saddowns:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Mordaedil posted:

It might be that it was a bug to begin with in OoT, possibly to do with the code trying to reset your animation as you press the button.

Pretty sure it just speeds up the animation, not reset it prematurely. It would look much glitchier in that case.

OoT is an amazingly buggy game but they did a great job in making sure regular players wouldn't stumble upon anything. Except the good old bottle duping, maybe. Even assuming it is a bug, they released two other patches of the game but never fixed the swimming thing that they definitely knew about.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

UZworm posted:

Gotta say, I've never seen the "Get hit by literally every snowball" method of getting to Snowhead, but I'm a fan of the fact that it worked!

At least it's faster than the "try to look cool rolling up the thin path and fall off repeatedly" method.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The Goron race is a fun idea, I was very excited about it the first time

The times after that, not so much

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's not that bad. What they did manage to do with the bosses was remove the ability to completely cheese them without any effort. It does mess with the flow, admittedly, but technically they're now harder to beat than in the original.

The Notebook with its unskippable notifications is really annoying though.

The Bombers are now a random hint system for everything you haven't found yet on your own in the Notebook, it's not just the Great Fairy or whatever.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Artix posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about with this one. Outside of maybe the fourth boss, I don't know how these changes made it any less easy to cheese the bosses (and they didn't change the biggest and most obvious way of doing it to begin with).

It was mainly in reference to how you can't simply stunlock Odolwa and riddle Goht with arrows from afar anymore. Also the fourth boss, yeah. The third one was cheesed more with glitches.

Stunning Odolwa with Deku bombs is probably the "correct" way and the game seems to nudge you towards it, but it's still perfectly possible (and a little faster, if you're good) to do it with precise arrows and bombs. With Goht, you can reduce his stun phases from 4 to 3 if you use arrows and bombs in a specific sequence. Stunning him with them is also possible although less efficient than Goron rolling. Stuff like that, the options are still in the game but less obvious.

Of course it doesn't matter all that much if you're just playing like the average player would. I'm not saying all this because I particularly like all these changes (imo in 3D Odolwa and boss 4 are better, Goht and boss 3 are worse), it's really just me being a defensive and salty nerd. I've read too many comments from people who saw the eyes in some screenshots or videos and went "wtf they have huge obvious weak points now, I can't believe they dumbed the bosses down, MM3D sucks" because they forgot that the bosses' entire bodies (almost) were those weak spots in the original.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The swimming mechanics were hardly colossally bungled in MM3D. They were improved in that holding A to swim fast is clearly slower than it used to be, allowing you to maneuver with improved precision especially in spaces tighter than an ocean without you having to bonk repeatedly all over the walls, which was a welcome change. That's obviously a detriment to the original fast swimming mechanics, so they compromised and made it so you have to hold R to swim fast like you used to. However, that also means you'll be constantly using the somewhat annoying sounding electric shield and burning magic. In fact, without magic, pressing R only lets you do a short burst of speed.

If you know what you're doing the new system doesn't really become a problem, but at the same time, if you know what you're doing you don't really require the more maneuverable mechanics either. It's a bit of an annoying change but I can see why thought it was useful especially for new players.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well this episode more or less demonstrates why the easier swimming controls in 3D weren't such a terrible idea. If you haven't mastered the fast swimming and aren't familiar with the layout, the constant wallbonks will soon cause headaches for both Mikau and yourself. The 3D controls are much more forgiving.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Patter Song posted:

The Stone Mask is fantastic. It's also probably Majora's Mask's worst case of "pointlessly obtuse poo poo to try to make you buy a player's guide." You aren't possibly going to find that soldier naturally unless you wear the Lens of Truth 24/7.

Or unless you're a competionist by nature determined to check out every suspicious rock circle. Tatl is even helpfully confirming that suspicion as soon as you get near.

On the other hand I don't even remember how the hell I found him in MM3D.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Alright, I figured it was something like that.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, you can't normally play underwater. There's a pretty simple glitch called Ocarina Items that lets you do that though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Shei-kun posted:

I don't know what anyone's talking about, Zora Link did some sick swimming moves into those pipes.

Th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-thmp

I've seen some crazy things in MM but this I haven't seen happen... very often.

Fae is making a good case in favor of those new swimming controls in MM3D :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
For that last fairy, the easiest way to get up there is to just shoot the hookshot target near the door from the side and immediately jumpslash midair. Also hold forward, I think.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Gyorg is not a particularly good boss but killing him with Zora boomerangs only must count as some sort of a challenge run. The simple strategy is to shoot an arrow from the platform, swim at him with the electric shield active, swim back to the platform, repeat 4 more times. Takes about 2 minutes tops.

Continuously shield ramming yourself into Gyorg (once he's first stunned, and also stunned for a second time after the phase change cutscene) is possible but requires some positioning. Naturally there exists a speedrun trick or two to make it even faster.

In 3D, in the first phase Gyorg swims closer to the surface and you're supposed to just pin him full of arrows. Gyroscope aiming is great here. IN the second phase, you're supposed to break the chains of some floating mines while Gyorg is doing his inhaling thing, for obvious results, but rather than using boomerangs to cut the chains it's again much simpler to use the electric shield.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Artix posted:

I believe I have identified a problem with your strategy, as far as Fae is concerned. :v:

Honestly, I imagine swimming back to the platform could be the hardest part for her :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ChaosArgate posted:

She's really only necessary in OoT if you want Biggoron's sword and even then there's probably a way to make the 4 minute dash to Death Mountain without her.

Yeah just backwalking through the Field is probably more or less enough.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The only things you can't get inside the well are blue potion and beans, the items that the two Gibdo in the very first room want. If you've got those you don't have to leave to get anything.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can't believe someone wouldn't like Ikana, it's clearly one of the most atmospheric and memorable places in the whole series.

Just to mention, since Link's jump distance is directly proportional to the velocity he runs off a ledge unlike in OoT, if you only need a bit of extra distance you can roll off the edge instead of messing with the Bunny Hood.

There's no upper limit to it either so standing on the edge and using the recoil from a bomb explosion will send Link off for quite a leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I gotta bring this up, because there's a hilariously easy way to kill Eyegores: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf1WsgwefZc

Walk up to his face (while holding shield), drop bomb, repeat.